PDA

View Full Version : meditation to help stress

Mystery90
05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Hello,

I just need some advice on how to tune my mind of and just relax for a while every evening because in my life right now I feel stressed. I don't exactly help myself because I tend to look into the future and make lists on what I need to think about throughout which causes me to feel more stressed. I need to get my mind into a state where im not worried as much as I should. :icon_frown: (goes to show my star sign is cancer).
I used to meditate and it did make me feel relaxed but with all this thinking going on in my mind I need a way to just forget about everything and just turn off. I need to learn to just take one day at a time and at a young age not to give myself too much to do, and worry too much. Even my eye is starting to twitch every so often which is a sign i've read is too much stress.

Hope someone can help, if you know any other ways to de-stress I'd be happy to read.

SoulWhisperer
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Well, If you used to meditate, then this is probably not new to you, but it doesn't hurt to post. It's a Buddhist meditation I saw online. Sit on a chair, back straight, close your eyes, start breathing and tune in to the feeling of the breath going in and out of your nose for a while.

Hope it helps.

SOULWHISPERER

Gem
06-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, If you used to meditate, then this is probably not new to you, but it doesn't hurt to post. It's a Buddhist meditation I saw online. Sit on a chair, back straight, close your eyes, start breathing and tune in to the feeling of the breath going in and out of your nose for a while.

Hope it helps.

SOULWHISPERER

I think thats good advise SW, and concentrate on feeling the sensations of the air in your nostrils. If the mind wanders off, just return your attention to the sensations of air moving in and air moving out.

SoulWhisperer
06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you for the complement Gem. I found the article in question

It's a direct quote from an article at HOW-TO-MEDITATE.ORG

" A Simple Breathing Meditation

The first stage of meditation is to stop distractions and make our mind clearer and more lucid. This can be accomplished by practising a simple breathing meditation. We choose a quiet place to meditate and sit in a comfortable position. We can sit in the traditional cross-legged posture or in any other position that is comfortable. If we wish, we can sit in a chair. The most important thing is to keep our back straight to prevent our mind from becoming sluggish or sleepy.

We sit with our eyes partially closed and turn our attention to our breathing. We breathe naturally, preferably through the nostrils, without attempting to control our breath, and we try to become aware of the sensation of the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. This sensation is our object of meditation. We should try to concentrate on it to the exclusion of everything else.

At first, our mind will be very busy, and we might even feel that the meditation is making our mind busier; but in reality we are just becoming more aware of how busy our mind actually is. There will be a great temptation to follow the different thoughts as they arise, but we should resist this and remain focused single-pointedly on the sensation of the breath. If we discover that our mind has wandered and is following our thoughts, we should immediately return it to the breath. We should repeat this as many times as necessary until the mind settles on the breath.

SOULWHISPERER

pre-dawn
06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't exactly help myself because I tend to look into the future and make lists on what I need to think about throughout which causes me to feel more stressed.

[snip ..]

but with all this thinking going on in my mind I need a way to just forget about everything and just turn off.
Part of your struggle may arise from a maybe unconscious worry that you will forget what needs to be done or the next step you want to take.
I'd suggest that for a while you keep a notepad and whenever a thought arises which need further consideration you write that down. This could even form part of the meditation.

Mystery90
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Thankyou so much for your comments, it helps. I know I've done meditation before I just wanted to let out my troubles and try to see what others may think. I like the notepad idea and I'll defiantly start writing things down more. Thanks again.

Gem
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Thank you for the complement Gem. I found the article in question

It's a direct quote from an article at HOW-TO-MEDITATE.ORG

" A Simple Breathing Meditation

The first stage of meditation is to stop distractions and make our mind clearer and more lucid. This can be accomplished by practising a simple breathing meditation. We choose a quiet place to meditate and sit in a comfortable position. We can sit in the traditional cross-legged posture or in any other position that is comfortable. If we wish, we can sit in a chair. The most important thing is to keep our back straight to prevent our mind from becoming sluggish or sleepy.

We sit with our eyes partially closed and turn our attention to our breathing. We breathe naturally, preferably through the nostrils, without attempting to control our breath, and we try to become aware of the sensation of the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. This sensation is our object of meditation. We should try to concentrate on it to the exclusion of everything else.

At first, our mind will be very busy, and we might even feel that the meditation is making our mind busier; but in reality we are just becoming more aware of how busy our mind actually is. There will be a great temptation to follow the different thoughts as they arise, but we should resist this and remain focused single-pointedly on the sensation of the breath. If we discover that our mind has wandered and is following our thoughts, we should immediately return it to the breath. We should repeat this as many times as necessary until the mind settles on the breath.

SOULWHISPERER

Absolutely. Although I'd close my eyes to prevent visuals distracting me from the sensations, ...but I think that technique is exactly the way to go.