PDA

View Full Version : can alcohol interfere with meditation?

casper
01-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I wanted to meditate but i've taken a glass of coca-cola and vodka...I'm a beginner in meditation and i don't know if this will interfere by making my visions unreliable or help me by making me relax?
Is it a bad thing to meditate under influence of alcohol??

Shabda
01-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I wanted to meditate but i've taken a glass of coca-cola and vodka...I'm a beginner in meditation and i don't know if this will interfere by making my visions unreliable or help me by making me relax?
Is it a bad thing to meditate under influence of alcohol??
it doesnt help really...i used to be an alcoholic, and it wasnt helping me in the least...alcohol will relax you, that much is true, but it is better to find more natural ways to relax than to use alcohol, also, without alcohol you will find you have better recall of what happened during meditation,and in the dream state...

Edy31
02-01-2011, 12:22 AM
As far as I know, drinking alcohol makes you more vulnerable and you may open yourself up more to negative energies.

Neville
02-01-2011, 12:25 AM
If you inadvertantly drop off during meditation while holding a glass of your preferred intoxicant, the myoclonic jerk can cause you to spill it.

Ivy
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
If you inadvertantly drop off during meditation while holding a glass of your preferred intoxicant, the myoclonic jerk can cause you to spill it.

funny :D

I dont suppose it would hurt trying to meditate after a drink...but alcohol numbs the senses...so its certainly not going to enhance the experience of either.

SeaZen
02-01-2011, 02:38 PM
It wont be authentic meditation if you do it under the influence. I would avoid all mood/mind altering substances, including caffeine before meditation. I have also found that it is difficult to meditate the next day after drinking a significant amount of booze the night before and it doesn't necessarily have to be a classic hangover to cause this. It dulls the senses and your body requires a time to heal from the alcohol.

I dont have nothing against a couple of drinks once in a while or more than a few on special occasions but if you are going to pursue spiritual practice and meditation you need to avoid drinking before meditation and to make the "special occasions" the exceptions and not the rule.

Felynx
11-01-2011, 09:27 AM
It can help because its easier to relax, but it can hinder because its hard to get a hold of yourself in an energetic sense. I've seen peoples auras when theyre drunk, and they go all wonky and out of control. It's better to have a sober sense of reality, and whatever you wish to accomplish will be easier if you have better concentration. I've found that meditating drunk makes me A) Fall asleep or B) Have a horrible woozy falling sensation, sometimes followed be leaving my body. And all because I didnt have a hold on my energy.

TheDivine
11-01-2011, 10:42 AM
If I'm to be honest, I can't make a universal statement here. For all I know, there could be people out there who can meditate after boozing it up.

In general though, I would say yes it can definitely interfere with meditation, and in a negative way. Biochemically, alcohol acts as a depressant. It prevents your brain from conducting nerve impulses. The more drunk you get, the more parts of your higher brain shut down. The higher brain relates to more complex thought processes. Note how primitive-acting really drunk people tend to get; they revert to very base instinctual behaviours, and that's because higher brain functions are disabled while more survival-based functions (eat, sleep, fight, run, sex, etc.) remain active. I don't see how anyone can be connected to their higher self when on a heavy duty depressant such as that.

With other alterants, meditation is completely possible, but you'd have to experiment and I'd rather not give advice on that here.

de.spin
11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
In my opinion it is best not to mix the two drugs:D