PDA

View Full Version : I was told in class to try and stay away from coffee

pinkkarma
17-04-2015, 07:46 PM
When i walked into pre class with a starbucks i was told that was not good and to avoid it even if it gives me energy

Is it normal for yoga practicioners not to like it?

LibbyScorp
18-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Hm. Possibly BC it makes you dehydrated and speeds up your heart rate when yoga is a tool to balance it.

But I have seen many chicks in my hot yoga class drink coffee before hand. So you do what you freakin' want lol.

pinkkarma
19-04-2015, 09:04 PM
she said the energy I get from coffee is fake

Serrao
20-04-2015, 05:24 AM
Isn't coffee just a stimulant that works only temporary?
I don't think it is seriously wrong to be in a altered state once in a while caused by coffee.

Gem
20-04-2015, 08:32 AM
When i walked into pre class with a starbucks i was told that was not good and to avoid it even if it gives me energy

It's common for people to impose their own values and beliefs on others, and it makes people feel judged, so it's pretty important not to internalise that attitude.

sunsoul
20-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I think she maybe came out a little forcefully with the coffee advice..

It is not just about the coffee in your hand but the mind in your head!

Yes, coffee may be something to drink less of if you drink it everyday or a few times a day. A few coffees in the week wouldn't be so bad.. It really is about looking at your lifestyle from a holistic viewpoint (i.e. sleeping, exercise, nutrition, relationships, stress at work, reactions of body, etc).

steevo
08-06-2015, 04:21 AM
Do your yoga. Your mind/body will tell you if you should stop the coffee. I have been doing yoga for years and still drink coffee

Shrek
08-06-2015, 04:34 AM
Stay away from coffee???

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/552/072/d6e.jpg

naturesflow
08-06-2015, 04:52 AM

I do yoga but didn't come to the realization that it not good for me through being told, but more through my own personal experience of it and listening to my body.

I notice I go into a hot flush when I drink it, so it signalling in me that it heightens something unnaturally in me of itself. Because of this I only have one every few days because I listen and it works best for me

Bluescreens
08-06-2015, 04:57 AM
I haven't drank coffee for awhile mostly because it can get addictive and your body depends on it... but it varies for everyone. If you drink to and it works for you, than all the power to ya, however, it's just not for me. I enjoy tea, it's calming and doesn't contain any chemicals.

The 'energy' you get from it isn't fake, per say, it's more like it comes from the caffeine rather than letting your body naturally wake up and energize itself from what foods you consume. But I'm not here to tell you what to do, it's your body. As for yoga, I'm not sure how the drink effects you in regards to that. If you feel fine than things must be working correctly, but if you're drained without it I would suggest cutting down on it or seeing what happens when you don't drink it. Good luck.

Dragonsong
23-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Coffee, I loved the stuff, so much so if i just missed one of my fixes I would come down with a raging migraine, I weaned myself off the stuff by mixing decaf into the normal coffee, so now I usually drink one caffeinated coffee a day not the twenty I used to have. Once addicted to the stuff experiments have shown it no longer gives you a high or any sort of boost.

Podshell
23-07-2015, 02:59 PM
For a temporary additional info detour there's a recent thread here

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88552

Ravenspirit
23-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Caffeine is a drug and in large amounts it can mess you up, particularly your adrenals. That being said I've never been to a class I don't think where half the class didn't hit the coffee bar before or after, including the teacher. :P

The Back Seat
23-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't recommend drinking coffee before yoga. Yoga is about relaxing the mind and body. Coffee stimulates the mind and body making it much more difficult to relax.

I'll drink coffee if I'm tired at work but I try my best not too. Coffee is acidic and hard on stomach (not nearly as bad as soda though)

CYNchronicity
10-08-2015, 09:26 PM
You might want to google 'caffein and flexibility'. Drinking coffee in large amounts can be an obstacle to flexibility because it dehydrates your tissues (the ones you're trying to lengthen). Yikes! It's also a stimulant. Ask yourself why you would go to class all hopped up when you want to wind down? Sounds like the teacher was just trying to give you something to chew on.
:hug3:

Aoitha
13-08-2015, 10:02 AM

I love love love coffee but I drink two or three cups a day.It is known to be beneficial.Don't listen to anyone and enjoy your coffee.Usually the fanatics always have something to so to someone.

annabelle239
14-08-2015, 08:16 AM

I wish people in spiritual/vegan communities weren't so anti-coffee. You have to follow what's right for you,but i consider myself pretty in tune with what's good for me and not and I never felt coffee was bad. In fact,when i started drinking it,it felt like something positive I was being drawn towards and has only been of a benefit. Again,everyone is different but I think the bad rep coffee has is overrated.