PDA

View Full Version : Perception and sensing vs reflecting?

ravey
03-04-2015, 06:22 PM
I was thinking about my childhood and it downed on me that back then I was more living through my senses and was more perceptual. I don't really remember having a very developed inner voice and reflecting a lot, and according to scientists children indeed live more through perceiving and sensation than adults. Perhaps they are closer to nature in a way. They think of what is instead of what might happen like most adults. Adult people tend to think and reflect more and sort of live in their heads. :wink:

Do you think us adults rely too much on our inner voices? Even positive affirmations and visualizations require too much inner thought and reflection and in a way require expectation. I think part of becoming enlighted is letting go of all limiting expectations as many times they lead to dissatisfaction. Perception and sensation are only secondary to adults it seems. Do you know any ways of letting go of the inner voice or at least diminishing it? I think benzos do that sometimes to some people, but they are dangerous. The more I try to perceive and use my senses vs my reflection, the happier and more connected to nature and the universe I feel. But it's hard to let go of reflection and just enjoy, sense and perceive. Anyone who has a success in that?

It's as if since my teenage years I have trouble trusting life and the world and letting myself experience it through my senses without reflecting. But I get the feeling it's not only me, but the majority of adults.

Visitor
03-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Hello ravey.

I am familiar with two types of inner voices, one comes from me ego, the other from my spirit/Being.

My ego is fear-based. It is my fearful deceptive self. It is always wanting and needing something from people, places, things, and situations to make it feel okay.
Some people call this inner voice the 'monkey on my back', 'critical me', greed, envy, jealousy, etc, or simply 'ego'.

My Being is love-based. It is my loving innocent self. It is always present whenever I let go of my fears, wants and needs. It knows the truth behind people, places, things, and situations.
Some people call this inner voice the conscience, heart, soul, spirit, Being, love, etc, or simply the 'truth'.

In my opinion, children (in general) have not yet the time to overdevelop their egos. They have not learnt the finer skills of deception, trickery, and denial.
The ego development, in children, often becomes recognizable to others through language. Usually when the two year old child starts using the word "I".
Later in life, children start to realize that others are deceptive, tricksters, and practice self-denial. They soon have trouble trusting life.
In the adult world, it predominantly is a battlefield of the egos. ... In my honest opinion.

Astral Jane
04-04-2015, 08:03 AM
I was thinking about my childhood and it downed on me that back then I was more living through my senses and was more perceptual. I don't really remember having a very developed inner voice and reflecting a lot, and according to scientists children indeed live more through perceiving and sensation than adults. Perhaps they are closer to nature in a way. They think of what is instead of what might happen like most adults. Adult people tend to think and reflect more and sort of live in their heads. :wink:

Do you think us adults rely too much on our inner voices? Even positive affirmations and visualizations require too much inner thought and reflection and in a way require expectation. I think part of becoming enlighted is letting go of all limiting expectations as many times they lead to dissatisfaction. Perception and sensation are only secondary to adults it seems. Do you know any ways of letting go of the inner voice or at least diminishing it? I think benzos do that sometimes to some people, but they are dangerous. ........

yes adults are too much in our heads, out of the moment and not as present with the experience & sensual perceptions. But the key here is that our whole lifestyle is bad for staying in the moment; everything we're taught to do (by a culture run by people who loathe humanity and put all their effort into keeping us down and preventing our evolution) is designed to keep us out of balance... so I'm not so sure it's that adults naturally gravitate toward leaving our senses, thinking too much etc. it's more that we are corralled in that direction by cultural forces that do not have our best interests at heart.

ravey
04-04-2015, 12:26 PM
Yeah, and the manipulation starts mostly around high school age, at least that's when I noticed teachers trying to make us doubt our senses and perceptions. Of course they used good-sounding phrases such as "having a position", "reflect like a grown-up", etc.