PDA

View Full Version : Surrender

DoctorStrange
02-04-2015, 05:14 PM
So what does surrendering yourself do ?
I've heard this a lot of the time, that surrendering yourself to the divine forces will help you in your spiritual development/growth.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Vinayaka
02-04-2015, 05:23 PM
In my particular version of Hinduism, it mainly means surrendering your ego. You give up on personal interest for the betterment of mankind. You surrender your selfishness, personal objectives. That sort of thing.

OtioseDodge
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
In my exploration of Hinduism and Buddhism, it means what Vinayaka was saying, surrendering the ego. To go into more detail, it means realizing that the ego, your definition of yourself, is just an illusion, a collection of habits, a hypnosis of sorts. If you start to analyze the way everything in the universe is interconnected, how it's all just one big thing, then you realize that there is no separation. Words can point toward this, but ultimately they can't describe it, since language itself is dualistic. In any case, I've found that there's an incredible feeling of release when you realize that there's no separation, because you don't have to make any effort any more; you don't fear death or anything else, because you are the universe, which goes on and on. And even if the universe were to cease to exist one day, then it wouldn't matter, because there wouldn't be anything to experience suffering or "blackness" or whatever. So surrendering yourself to the divine in my book is realizing that you are the divine, because you're everything anyway.

athribiristan
02-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Mostly has to do with Ego. When we let go of what the 'I' wants, and what the 'I' needs we can open ourselves to other perspectives, and a broader range of experiences.

acitak
02-04-2015, 07:41 PM
The action of surrendering to Divinity means letting go of self-claims, self-interest, self-pity.

You can be one with Divinity simply by knowing that Divinity in its highest frequencies, in its highest dimension, is parallel and permeates your dimension and frequencies and you can tune in with Divinity simply by surrendering self and merging with that higher frequency at any moment, at every moment in which you exist.

Surrendering self to that Universal Consciousness, this does not mean to totally annihilate yourself, but rather to temporarily forget the self and move into Universal Consciousness.

no1wakesup
02-04-2015, 07:55 PM
So what does surrendering yourself do ?
I've heard this a lot of the time, that surrendering yourself to the divine forces will help you in your spiritual development/growth.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Identity, ego,etc.. cannot and will never surrender itself. That's a safe assumption that most on the spiritual path only assume. That perspective is saturated with survival in what it knows for itself as the real. To surrender oneself is to completely give up oneself from a shifted awareness. That giving up happens usually at a precipice between that which wants to continue and that which is without anything to hold on to...between that which needs to grasp and that which finds there is possibly no one there to grab onto anything.

Thunder Bow
02-04-2015, 08:48 PM
If you surrender yourself to a particular religion or spiritual path, then you are surrendering yourself to be controlled by others.

changewithlove
02-04-2015, 11:40 PM
For me its surrendering to the experience that is happening right now, in this very moment, without wanting to change it or escape from it.

Visitor
02-04-2015, 11:58 PM
So what does surrendering yourself do ?...
Open-mindedness to truth.

Secrets
03-04-2015, 01:18 AM
For me its surrendering to the experience that is happening right now, in this very moment, without wanting to change it or escape from it.

This is also my understanding. Surrender to what is.

LadyMay
03-04-2015, 09:43 AM
You stop fighting with your ego and go with the flow instead. You allow the divine to work through you and you become a direct channel and living embodiment for your highest self which makes life much more easy and joyful for you.

Lorelyen
03-04-2015, 10:05 AM
If you surrender yourself to a particular religion or spiritual path, then you are surrendering yourself to be controlled by others.

Certainly true if you follow a pre-packaged path, someone else's.
My path is always my own.

It was as my guru taught me: "I can give you some ideas; I can point you to practices that have stood
the test of time; I can give you sign posts but the route you take is yours".

We learn from others. We can learn from every passing moment of every day.
It's up to us to evaluate and take on what seems important.
It may turn out later to be less important and needs abandoning.

I'm known here for questioning ideas put forth when outwardly they seem
to have something. I don't always get answers
so I conclude the poster has rather slavishly followed a path
created by someone else rather than thought things through.

Surrender is a difficult word but that's all it is - a word. As a concept it signifies
"giving in" to me which can happen at many levels.
If for instance someone comes up with what seems a new (let's call it) "technique" for, say, lucid dreaming
and I try it out, it's successful so I keep it going,
then I'm giving in on one level.

As a gnostic, I'm hardly likely to surrender to a sky pixie -
because deep within I am that sky pixie.