PDA

View Full Version : How much does Spirituality change you?

stephenproject
03-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Some days I'm really into a spiritual awakening... Other days I'm not. Basically, what I'm saying is that I feel like I'll have to change who I am in order to be more spiritual. I have a very out-going personality, I'm very talkative and always laughing and making jokes. For some reason I have this image that if I become very spiritual, I'll be this extremely quiet, extremely laid back person who doesn't do anything all day... Basically like a monk. I also feel like I won't be 'normal' enough anymore to just hangout with friends anymore, go out and have fun etc. I am also a very hard working, goal oriented person, and I feel that if I'm spiritual I'll become too relaxed and will lose my energy and productivity, aka becoming so relaxed and peaceful that it wipes away my 'drive'.

Days like today when I stay at home and feel very peaceful, I think about becoming awakened, but then I think about the cruise and trip to L.A. my family is taking this summer, and that upbeat, exciting lifestyle... Which I feel like spiritual people wouldn't participate in. My question is, does becoming spiritual change you that much? Can I still be highly spiritual yet still be myself at the same time? I feel like it's a "one or the other" type situation, but I could be wrong. Any advice?

Greenslade
03-03-2015, 10:22 AM
Spirituality is an entirely personal Journey and there's no catch-all as to how it's going to change you. People do change, they're bound to because we change day-by-day sometimes and Spirituality changes how we think of ourselves and the Universe around us and how we interact with it. Perhaps the question here isn't so much about how Spirituality changes you but how your perception of Spirituality does, because it seems that is what you're questioning here. It's as though you're preparing to fit yourself into this box of how you see Spiritual people. I often wonder what people mean by a Spiritual awakening and the question for me is what are they awakening to?

How you define yourself and how you want to be is entirely up to you, there are no rules that say being a highly Spiritual person means you have to give up on being happy shiny people. Spirituality would say (if anything) that you can be both at the same time and more. As I look back on my Life I discovered I've been Spirit all along - none of us are anything else. Spirituality is often defined as a subset of a belief system, it's just another box to jump into or another stereotype to wear the clothes of. The entire Universe and everything in it is Spirit but sometimes Spirituality takes us away from that. It occurs to me that Spirit isn't stupid, that it would waste its time on trivialities so is being who you are a triviality or is there something more to it? There lies Spirituality, within yourself and not in some imagined stereotype.

luntrusreality
04-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Some days I'm really into a spiritual awakening... Other days I'm not. Basically, what I'm saying is that I feel like I'll have to change who I am in order to be more spiritual.

In what way are the days you are "not into spirituality" less spiritual? Or less real?
What is the difference in a human being going about "normal activities" or "spiritual activities" like meditation or trying to be present?

Of course there seems to be something like a "spiritual person" but what you should realize is that spirituality has nothing to do with the person.
You could be a massmurdering alcoholic with a pink hat and still suddenly be enlightened. (I guess you would at least drop the pink hat then ;) )

Enlightenment might be the "result" of a journey or being a spiritual person, but this apparent journey will eventually lead to a "giving up" (not in a negative kind of way) of the journey.
A point at which the search is dropped.

This unfortunately can't be "faked". You
can't start meditating and then stop a week after and tell yourself you've stopped searching.

As long as there is the sense to keep searching and find something "out there" or "in here" (which is a whole other topic: what is the difference ? ;) )
it is fine to follow that urge, but what happens if you just stop?

The alternation you describe between "being spiritual" and "not into it" is in my opinnion pretty normal.
In the end spirituality as it is usually practices is just another hobby.

But it has the potential to lead to something that goes beyond what the person does.

Sorry for rambling, I haven't been to the forums for a while now.
I guess I was not that into spirituality lately :D

kkfern
04-03-2015, 10:00 PM
if you are the fun joking girl, you will be so. i am. there is also a time to be serious. a time to be quiet a time to go to work. a time to play.

one of my guides i call the joker. his skills as a joker are necessary. nothing can crack a head head like a good joke. fun is as important as love.joking can work where other things will fail. so be a joker and be proud.'

kk

JoyfulJoyce
04-03-2015, 10:24 PM
I think being a spiritual person only enhances who you already are. If you are a person who jokes around, likes excitement and adventure, that's who you are going to be. Embracing your spirituality just makes every other thing in your life more enjoyable because you see the a richer meaning behind every single thing. It's that whole "live in the moment" mentality. Don't worry, just enjoy :)

Lucid68
04-03-2015, 11:21 PM
I'm still on my journey but I do know I don't let my ego take control any more, I have more patience now and I am more reasonable :)

Ciona
05-03-2015, 12:33 AM
It think it depends on how you view your spirituality as it's a very personal thing. For example, for me, I consider myself a co-creator, which is a very energetic, powerful, creative energy. I'm one of those peaceful laid back types because that's my natural personality, but my creative energy is very alive and electrical in it's expression.

I guess what I'm saying, is spirituality can encompass all different aspects of your life, from head to toe. I'm also a Kabbalist so for me that's a given. It's all in how you perceive it and yourself in relation to the rest of the universe. And it's also true as I think someone else stated, that meditation and being very much engaged with the now is an aspect of many people's spirituality.

The other thing I find is that the more you widen your perception, the more open you are to different ideas and energies and reaching your potential. Spiritually, we are all bigger than we think we are. :)

I would also add, that there are certainly very spiritual people who are everywhere. We like sailing and partying too! Well I don't like sailing but I do like partying lol..everyone has their own journey no matter what their lifestyle...and an open heart chakra, along with an open mind, can go a long way...

aetherian
06-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Spiritual power will save us,and so there is a need for spiritual people.
This humanity is spiritually bankrupt and is reliant on spiritual power of those from outside the earth.

Lorelyen
06-03-2015, 03:02 PM
How will it change you? It'll change you into what you should have been all along.

Rah nam
07-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Spirituality does not change you, you change and become aware...
aware of who and what you are.

Miss Hepburn
07-03-2015, 02:10 AM
How much does Spirituality change you?
Your question.
Completely...so what is that as in 'how much'...100%.
And if you knew me before...you would agree!

TheTruth
07-03-2015, 04:37 PM
If anything it will make you even more energetic, which will help you reach those goals with great focus and determination.

Miss Hepburn
07-03-2015, 05:58 PM
I am interpreting spirituality as being aware of spirit, your spirit or
the Holy Spirit or the Unseen, btw....as opposed to the
identification of with only the material or physical.