PDA

View Full Version : What Have You Accomplished?

linen53
26-02-2015, 05:54 PM
I had a conversation with a friend yesterday. During the course of our discussion she said she was disappointed because she didn't feel as if she had accomplished anything in this lifetime.

And I countered with a question. I asked, "What have you learned in this lifetime?" To which she replied emphatically, "A lot."

I explained that living your life isn't about what you do but what you have learned.

But still in the end, she still couldn't grasp the significance. She ended by saying, "Well hopefully I've been able to help someone along the way." http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/Incandesent/Smilies/sigh.gif

What are your thoughts?

BlueSky
26-02-2015, 06:08 PM
It's possibly about both where learning is the basics that lead to putting the person that learning has helped mold, into action for others. I just started a thread related to this.
It's the ol. " but if I don't have love....I am a clashing cymbal" thingy.

I think your friend gets it quite well.

Astro
26-02-2015, 06:16 PM
She is finding it difficult to put meaning to her life because she doesn't see the value in her lessons. I wonder if she hasn't reflected upon her lessons thoroughly enough, & I wonder if she's comparing her life to standards or expectations set upon her by someone else, consciously or not.

BlueSky
26-02-2015, 06:16 PM
"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; ..."

Frederick33
26-02-2015, 06:46 PM
I have accomplished all I could ever dream of or wished for

was I lucky ? or did i only really go where I wanted to end up ?

think the last one , and no not difficult, it was easy

Mr Interesting
26-02-2015, 07:19 PM
If you have a need to accomplish you may as well go out and do it as in go out and achieve something that isn't yet but becomes because of your doing even if in the end it's pointless then having done all that you can reside peacefully in the pointlessness.

Which may seem counter intuitive, in an objective sense, and it is but subjectively it's a whole other ball game and while the chances of being completely jaded by the experience are high even that in itself is a worthwhile encounter of self.

A friend of mine recently told me that he'd been homeless for eight years and that is a superb accomplishment and he is far enough along the path of development to see that and know it and also that now accomplished it's time to do things differently. To extract what he's learnt from his foray and apply a new level of understanding to himself and how he is in the world.

One thing I've started applying to myself is the idea of being successfully unsuccessful which in nutshell is still about accomplishing but not having to have the outside feed into it to make it real, well that's not so right as the outside and the inside are always going to embrace and feed off each other, so maybe it's more about not needing to be successful in normal acquisition based ways, that growth is inner and the acquiring is spiritual as opposed to requiring the outer fulfilment of stuff and accolades.

Another friend came round recently and I talked to him about how my brother suggested years ago I needed to be in a position of not paying rent as it would free me to create and so I eventually got into that position but low and behold having the need to pay rent taken away also ended up taking away the need to accomplish anything or, at the very least, gave me the opportunity to see what accomplishment is really for.

And our man above, who could a woman and excuse me if I haven't researched this point or have done but forgotten, mentions Love and therein lies the whole of accomplishment.... that all the unrequired stuff by being acquired and then let go can finally end up as just an expression of Love.

And it's a big just... maybe the whole reason for this world and all it's density.

LadyMay
26-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't think life is to accomplish or learn, but to experience and explore.

Frederick33
26-02-2015, 08:43 PM

yet its an accomplishment to know that, but also to know how to do it in a good way

so its only fun

linen53
26-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Wow, some great input.

ScarlettHayden, I think we (as in all of us) may be here for different reasons, some to learn and some to experience and explore, some to help another person(s) and probably many more reasons.

For me, I am a busy bee, here to learn.

LadyMay
26-02-2015, 10:59 PM
ScarlettHayden, I think we (as in all of us) may be here for different reasons, some to learn and some to experience and explore, some to help another person(s) and probably many more reasons.

Good point, it can be versatile and unique depending upon the soul.

VinceField
26-02-2015, 11:35 PM
I explained that living your life isn't about what you do but what you have learned.

What are your thoughts?

Well, it depends on the nature of the knowledge learned. Book knowledge will unlikely be of much significance. Rather, it is the knowledge and insight gained through our experience that is most important. In this sense, I believe there is truth on both sides. You can't learn much if you don't do anything!

ocean breeze
26-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Yeah, i've learned and accomplished that.

linen53
26-02-2015, 11:55 PM
Astro, she is a Christian woman and I've known her for 20+ years. Her standards were ingrained in her by her very biased parents and her church.

I intentionally omitted her religious beliefs because I did not want this to be a thread based on Christian standards, good or bad.

LadyMay
27-02-2015, 12:31 AM
Yeah, i've learned and accomplished that.

Or perhaps it's more a case of, we experience and explore learning and accomplishing?

ocean breeze
27-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Well we do learn from experiencing and exploring, do we not? Is that not an accomplishment?

Miss Hepburn
27-02-2015, 12:46 AM
I don't think life is to accomplish or learn, but to experience and explore. Yes....accomplish is a worldy term for someone that makes lists.
But if it makes someone semantically happy...I have 'accomplished' to
be happier more than not.
but I don't think of it exactly as that.

Does a flower blooming just unfold naturally?...or does it think it has
accomplished something?
I dunno, it's a funny word... that's all.

LadyMay
27-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Well we do learn from experiencing and exploring, do we not? Is that not an accomplishment?

It's like Miss H said, accomplishment is a funny word. It's unnatural, compared to just being ourselves and enjoying life. There's nothing to accomplish, unless you make that the goal of your experiences.

Arcturus
27-02-2015, 10:22 AM
In this lifetime my biggest achievement (if it could be called such a thing), to me, is realising my confusion. I know I'm mad. I'm independant in that awaresness. I need no-one to point it out- though they're wellcome to. I know that no-one can extricate me from this confusion except myself. I've come along way baby :glasses2:

Greenslade
27-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I had a conversation with a friend yesterday. During the course of our discussion she said she was disappointed because she didn't feel as if she had accomplished anything in this lifetime.

And I countered with a question. I asked, "What have you learned in this lifetime?" To which she replied emphatically, "A lot."

But still in the end, she still couldn't grasp the significance. She ended by saying, "Well hopefully I've been able to help someone along the way." http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/Incandesent/Smilies/sigh.gif

What are your thoughts? Sometimes when you need the right answers the right question helps. Accomplishments, what are they? In a society where the most successful are lauded and all else fades away in comparison how does anyone measure accomplishment in their Lives? Are we here to accomplish anything because to Spirit the meal is already cooked - we have already accomplished.

But then, what is learning? Your friend has learned so much about herself as a Spirit on this human Journey, things she couldn't possibly have learned or experienced in Spirit. She has learned disappointment and experienced how that feels to her. She has learned that even through her disappointment she is hopeful that she's helped someone and that shows at least a little caring for others. What is significance and how is it measured and who sets those standards? Are you setting the standards, is she, is the Universe? Disappointment often comes hand-in-hand with comparisons.

To find out what you have accomplished you could ask another question - how different would the people around you have been if you'd never existed? How has your existence changed theirs?

kkfern
27-02-2015, 01:08 PM
i have accomplished much in this life. i am 60 so i had lots of time to do it.

i see it this way. each generation should do better then the last. there should be some upward movement. (upward, what ever that is)

i am so happy with the changes and upward movement i have seen and been a part of. the freeing of women so they can reach their potential and then have more to give. i broke the mold in my family and went to collage. it was hard to do that as i was trained to submit to the man. i loved seeing my daughter not wonder if she could go to collage but wondering what she would study.

i love that i can love my son. in my family of origin, i could not. my son is gay. the break away from the faith of my family that came long before the birth of my son. it gave me the freedom to love my son.

i love that i can understand more. my family of origin had addiction issues. i incarnated to address that issue. i stayed out of that trap but my husband did not. he did the 12 step spiritual path and is clean17 years. i also learned via my children that there was an underlying chemical imbalance that caused the addiction and then became free to forgive and understand my family better. i always loved them so it is not about love, it is about understanding.

there is more, there is always more.

kk

Shinsoo
27-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Learning is always a big thing in any incarnation I think. I mean, you incarnate to learn lessons, right?

But I was definitely here for a reason...a purpose. To 'wake up' so to speak and reset old bad habits and karmic issues that had built up over the lifetimes and getting my soul in touch with it's divinity again.

I'm still working on that, but it's slowly getting a bit brighter. There's still a lot of emotional garbage to sort through though.

linen53
27-02-2015, 03:38 PM
I am 61 years old and feel as if I have climbed insurmountable obstacles. I'm on the other side of the hardest part.

I've learned so much in this lifetime. As I look back I am so amazed and so proud of myself. I have a lot of scars but all of my wounds have healed. And I don't regret a thing.

Now I have health issues. Another learning experience. To not take for granted what I put in my mouth and to learn to love the physical side of me. This is smooth sailing compared to what I have already accomplished. My health issue is celiac disease. Once I adjusted to this new lifestyle I can say it's a piece of cake (gluten free of course). Tho I have my ups and downs, for the most part I am good and thankful.

Greenslade, it is difficult for me to think in terms of what I contribute to others. I just put one foot in front of the other. I think to consider how I interact with other could do two things. Number one, I'd pick at the negative things in what I do. Number 2, my head would swell up with unhealthy egotism. I'd just as soon keep my nose to the grindstone until I reach the end of the road.

When it is time for my life review then I can know how I impacted other people.

Astro
27-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Astro, she is a Christian woman and I've known her for 20+ years. Her standards were ingrained in her by her very biased parents and her church.

I intentionally omitted her religious beliefs because I did not want this to be a thread based on Christian standards, good or bad.

No problem, just sniffing around!:D

Achievement, in a sense, is something imposed on me by my parents, so that's how I made the link with your friend.

And on that note, I have failed over & over to live up to those expectations, so I have little in the way of achievements. Although having said that, I think there is more inside of us than we are always aware of.

What I recognise as being worthy achievements are all spiritaully based. Being able to meditate without thought, breaking through to communicate with my spirit guide, recognising my animal guides. I feel that future achievements will grow from this as well.

linen53
27-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Astro, the goals I have achieved were not goals I made while incarnate. My life has not been focused enough to consciously make a list of goals. One mud ball was thrown at me after another. I was the victim of circumstances. But now that I am older and look back, I see it was a divine plan. All is good.

I think it is wonderful you can meditate that well, and communicate with your guides and are familiar with your animal guides. I can do none of those. But that apparently was your divine plan.

Isn't life wonderful?

Mr Interesting
27-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Read this this morning which is almost twenty years old now. (http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/the-little-engine-that-couldnt-how-were-preparing-ourselves-and-our-children-for-extinction/#.VO_HAd9USD4.facebook)

Acheivement in a material sense isn't a dirty word though one would think so reading through all these replies and I can see the same level of misunderstanding that this chap is writing about being applied in the spiritual world as we all distance ourselves from materiality.

Now I'm not trying to wave a flag of idealism here and I totally get that leading a less temporal life is good for us all but we still all live in a material world so where and how we do that doesn't have to make achievement in a material sense a dirty and loathsome thing.

In a very real sense diminishing material achievement just because it's material is a selfish and ego based thing and alike the article it's because of a mythology within spirituality that debases materiality.

ocean breeze
28-02-2015, 12:10 AM
It's like Miss H said, accomplishment is a funny word. It's unnatural, compared to just being ourselves and enjoying life. There's nothing to accomplish, unless you make that the goal of your experiences.

Yeah, i get what you're saying. I enjoy exploring but i don't do it with the idea of trying to accomplish something. But if someone where to ask me "what have i accomplished?" That would be my answer.

Greenslade
28-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Greenslade, it is difficult for me to think in terms of what I contribute to others. I just put one foot in front of the other. I think to consider how I interact with other could do two things. Number one, I'd pick at the negative things in what I do. Number 2, my head would swell up with unhealthy egotism. I'd just as soon keep my nose to the grindstone until I reach the end of the road.

When it is time for my life review then I can know how I impacted other people.

'Contribute' and 'negative', there are words that have their own curiosities. I don't think of it in those kinds of terms, I can't be anything other than myself warts and all and in the interaction things are just the way they are. Admittedly there's a human part that likes to recognise - recognise, not be egotistical about - the difference I've made to others that is part of the Journey to Self. Accomplishments and contributions fade away into the distance to be replaced by the wonder of touching another Soul, that while the Universe and eternity is so expansive it's not much further than my own back door.

Astro
28-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Astro, the goals I have achieved were not goals I made while incarnate. My life has not been focused enough to consciously make a list of goals. One mud ball was thrown at me after another. I was the victim of circumstances. But now that I am older and look back, I see it was a divine plan. All is good.

I think it is wonderful you can meditate that well, and communicate with your guides and are familiar with your animal guides. I can do none of those. But that apparently was your divine plan.

Isn't life wonderful?

Well, I have found life to be spirit crushingly tough & soul destroying! In hindsight, the clue's suggest that I was only ever going to walk the path that I have...

It's nice to know that you've climbed your mountain, that makes me happy. If feel your sense of self worth & empowerment, two very important qualities to have in my opinion. You have a strong spirit Linen53/Deb, God bless you :hug:

linen53
28-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Mr Interesting, I don't think materialism is bad as long as the head and heart are in the right place. That statement is only true to me and my values. I cannot tag another soul with my standards.

If someone is out to make lots of money and step on whomever they have to to achieve that goal, then I say that is their path and I do not judge them. They have different things to learn than I do.

Greenslade, I have to use caution. I can be very arrogant at times and to keep that in check I try not to focus to much on all of my accomplishments. I am PM'd occasionally with a compliment and I truly appreciate every compliment I get, but I keep my eyes on the horizon.

Astros, it has been a perilous life for me as well. But the rewards are so great, I cannot regret a thing I've been through. But I sure wouldn't want to go through it a second time :D

I am humbled by your compliment. If I can say anything, it is that there is hope. Hope of reaching our goals.:hug:

Astro
01-03-2015, 01:57 AM
Thank you Linen.

Yes I know what you mean. I'm not coming back again unless there's going to be cake at regular intervals!

linen53
01-03-2015, 03:59 AM
I totally agree. That was one of my conditions upon coming back here: that this was my last time in this realm. Tho I will miss it in certain ways, I am done with it. That is why this lifetime has been so arduous.

Astro
01-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I totally agree. That was one of my conditions upon coming back here: that this was my last time in this realm. Tho I will miss it in certain ways, I am done with it. That is why this lifetime has been so arduous.

I wonder how we get to discover these things. Sometimes I find myself mumbling such things to myself, like a right grump!

linen53
01-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I think I "remembered" because at the time, many years ago, it was all that kept me going. The hope that it was for a purpose and it would end.

BlueSky
01-03-2015, 01:28 PM
Wow, some great input.

Reading your views in this post quoted, I am curious what it is you feel your friend failed to grasp?

linen53
01-03-2015, 01:34 PM
I think she kind of grasped that it wasn't about what she had contributed to the world but what was inside her. But she was straddling the fence. Christians tend to not focus on what's in them. It sometimes makes them feel uncomfortable. My goal was not to make her feel uncomfortable but to celebrate what she has accomplished.

BlueSky
01-03-2015, 01:41 PM
I think she kind of grasped that it wasn't about what she had contributed to the world but what was inside her. But she was straddling the fence. Christians tend to not focus on what's in them. It sometimes makes them feel uncomfortable. My goal was not to make her feel uncomfortable but to celebrate what she has accomplished.
I see, thank you for explaining.

Astro
01-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Wow, some great input.

This is a great way of looking at things. I like this because it highlights some of my own faults. Area's in which to find growth. Thank you Linen :smile:

knightofalbion
01-03-2015, 02:10 PM
What was or may have been, is scattered to the wind.

We have only today ...

lemex
01-03-2015, 07:52 PM

What are your thoughts?

To me this is what I have found important and haven't seen mentioned. Do you see what kept you from accomplishing purpose. One probably knows or travel the same path. What would one do differently or would have done and why. One must see why they did, not what they did, the reason to make the choice. I have come to realize why which I think is very important. I was struck by the statement that she hoped she helped someone along the way. Tell her, we don't normally get to see these things and it is a beautiful thought. I think these things should be spoken about for clarity. Personally, I feel I know the things that have affected my life, we all do..... good and bad. :smile:

Dwerg
01-03-2015, 09:56 PM
I accomplished having the job I dreamed of and I accomplished having the apartment I dreamed of. It sometimes perplexes me how some people can't seem to handle that. However, the value of those accomplishments is next to insignificant to me. I did not accomplish getting my mother to understand that she's hurting me, disrespecting me, abusing me and doesn't seem to care about me. I gave that one up, it's dead and over with. On that note I did accomplish something of tremendous value, peace of mind and serenity. I feel like the world can fall to pieces around me and still I would persist, I don't fear the hard times.

linen53
02-03-2015, 01:22 PM
knight, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...", an old saying.

One must see why they did, not what they did, the reason to make the choice.

I especially liked when you said this.

Dwerg, it sounds like you have made peace with your demons in your life and the world could blow away and you would be solid. I am so happy for you. It makes for a better life. There is nothing wrong with being monetarily solid. We discussed this in post # 25 by Mr Interesting. I do think some people have trouble with that. http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr337/GeorgeKaye1/Thumbsup.jpg