PDA

View Full Version : How to tell a new house owner their home is haunted

IsiahHolmes123
24-02-2015, 02:04 AM
Hi, I lived in a haunted house for several years and trust me, it is extremely active. I have since moved from there and the house is up for sell. I have decided to inform whoever moves in of what happened there so they don't think someone is trying to break in their house in the middle of the night. But I don't know how I would approach them, without freaking them out or making them think I'm threatening them. Should I send a letter, tell them in person, what should I do?

Jenny Crow
24-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Hmm.....I'd be careful on that one. I agree that it would be nice for the new owners to know about the haunting, however, you wouldn't know if they even believe in such things, apparently some people don't.

And I wonder if there could be any legal ramifications.

Maybe someone else has some ideas on how to go about it.

Fairfre
24-02-2015, 11:43 AM
I think there can be legal ramifications if any problems with the house,including being haunted, were not not divulged before sale in some states in the U.S. I'm assuming your in the states.

desert rat
24-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Some states do have laws where you must tell a new owner if a place is haunted . I will assume no one was hurt by the ghosts . Tell them they may or not see/hear a few ghosts . Not ever one sees/hears ghosts . A lot of people just do not believe in ghosts and never see them or ever have any problems with them .

OnAPath
24-02-2015, 05:28 PM
You could tell them about "this weird thing that happened to me" and they can interpret however they wish or believe.

blackraven
24-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Hi, I lived in a haunted house for several years and trust me, it is extremely active. I have since moved from there and the house is up for sell. I have decided to inform whoever moves in of what happened there so they don't think someone is trying to break in their house in the middle of the night. But I don't know how I would approach them, without freaking them out or making them think I'm threatening them. Should I send a letter, tell them in person, what should I do?

Hi IsiahHolmes123 - Welcome to SF. I lived in a very haunted house for over 17 years. I moved and have often wondered if the same spirits that haunted the house when I was there are there now with the new owners. The truth of the matter is I'm not sure if I personally had anything to do with the hauntings as much of the activity happened when I was home alone and I'm quite open and sensitive to this type of thing. I'm not sure if the house would have sold if I had told them about everything that went on in the house, so it doesn't seem fair now that I contact them to tell them about the house's history. It's their home now and I have to respect that. As for you, that's a personal call, but if it's haunted still, they wouldn't really need a letter from you to tell them that 'cause they'd be experiencing activity themselves.

Blackraven

Fairyana
24-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I would not say anything because it could well be that the people who will move in are not sensitive to any spiritual activity or they may have a shield or be in a totally different vibration so that the spirits won't be an issue at all. Also, you might scare them unnecessarily no matter how nicely you put it.

If I were you, after they move in, ask them if things are going well and if they are feeling happy, safe and comfortable in their new home. Don't ask anything else other than that. If they mention the noises, you can say it's a normal part of the house. I would open up about the spirits if I knew them enough that I felt they could handle or not be upset by the information.

Sometimes a place has a lot of spirits, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It could be a place full of harmless and peaceful spirits, who just happen to also be rather loud. lol

innerlight
24-02-2015, 06:04 PM
It may be hard to convince a new tenant that a home is haunted, they may not believe you. Until they were to experience it, themselves. I do think it would be courteous, to inform any potential buyer, of the things that happened in your home to you. There could be, as someone mentioned, legal ramifications of not informing someone, of what you knew as common knowledge. More so with the fact that you were openly telling people on a forum your house was haunted. In your opinion, of course.

Openly saying it's haunted, may not be the most tact approach, so telling them as was already mentioned, of the things you experienced within the home, to allow them to make an informed decision. And for your own protection, from legal matters, it may even be a good idea for any new tenant(s) to sign off that you informed them of what you experienced. We live in an age, where people like to sue for everything. The more you protect yourself and cover your own butt the better.

IsiahHolmes123
24-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you for all of your advice guys, now I can make a more informed approach if at all.
I know the place is still haunted because when it was still abandoned the stomping continued, it even got louder. I know because I sat in the back yard late one evening with a friend who wanted to see some ghosts. Perhaps this is why it happned, we expected it so it occured.
I also have a picture I took while living there which clearly shows a little girl in the window. I took the picture for my black and white photography class, it was a old film camera which I developed and everything. The figure is present on the negatives as well.
What a life
thanks though!