PDA

View Full Version : Living in the Present

Astro
19-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Where I come from, it feels as if there is so much conditioning, that people are always looking to the future. Everyone has a plan & it is the driving force of our lives.

I had plans, which I have revised & tweaked many times over. Recently changing course completely after being blocked on a spiritual level. When I set out on my new path, almost immediately I felt the block again. To borrow a quote from the film: The Matrix

“you've been down that road, you know where it leads”

To me this says “different job, same pile of dung.” Even though I had set out to do something philanthropic my soul is telling me NO! No, no, no, stop, stop, stop!

My guidance has been to live in the present. To be in the here & now. While I can see option's on the horizon I am unsure where I might be heading.
It makes me feel insecure, I'm not familiar with this way of being.

Ivy
19-02-2015, 09:15 PM
When we most need guidance is when we're stepping into the as yet unknown. It's those take a breath and jump moments.

What I find interesting is that excitement and anxiety are the same feeling, interpreted differently by expectation. Trust is a big part of how we feel entering the unknown. But I reckon our own guidance is good.

zombie
20-02-2015, 01:19 AM
When we most need guidance is when we're stepping into the as yet unknown. It's those take a breath and jump moments.

What I find interesting is that excitement and anxiety are the same feeling, interpreted differently by expectation. Trust is a big part of how we feel entering the unknown. But I reckon our own guidance is good.

Well said!

athribiristan
20-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Where I come from, it feels as if there is so much conditioning, that people are always looking to the future. Everyone has a plan & it is the driving force of our lives.

I had plans, which I have revised & tweaked many times over. Recently changing course completely after being blocked on a spiritual level. When I set out on my new path, almost immediately I felt the block again. To borrow a quote from the film: The Matrix

“you've been down that road, you know where it leads”

To me this says “different job, same pile of dung.” Even though I had set out to do something philanthropic my soul is telling me NO! No, no, no, stop, stop, stop!

My guidance has been to live in the present. To be in the here & now. While I can see option's on the horizon I am unsure where I might be heading.

So be ok with that. Adjusting to a new paradigm takes time.

n2mec
20-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Caught up in the chase of phenomena and then breaking free may take some rewriting of the script of who one IS may take some time, although no time is reqired. Nothing unknown about it, just remembering.

Many feelings during withdrawal.

Miss Hepburn
20-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I didn't realize how in the present I was until a co-worker turned
best friend always, and I mean always, lives in the future ...
for the last 29 yrs I have known her!
It is amazing to watch and listen to...the funny thing is ...is I have been with
her in these "future events'' and in those present moments she isn't enjoying herself!
The very thing she was planning and getting excited about!

I don't say a thing, not for 29 yrs, this is just how she lives
...it is very fascinating to watch the pathology, tho.

I was surprised that a new friend even mentioned it to me ...that she lives in the future.
No judgment...just different.

So I really get your post, Astro...I agree...and luv The Matrix! :thumbsup:

WhiteWarrior
20-02-2015, 03:11 PM
The older you get the less you worry about the future. Which makes sense since there's less of it for every day that passes. And life? Life is what happened regardless of what you planned.

Lucyan28
20-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Making plans and goals for a future is useful, it's a precious skill, we are capable of creating mental projections into the future.

But every tool can be use in a righteous way or in an incorrect way.

There is a time to think in future projects, there is a time to remember the past and gather its wisdom, there is time to live in the present just as it is :)

After all we have all the time of the universe (eternity)

Mr Interesting
20-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I'm agreeing with n2mec on this one but I'm not altogether sure why but after almost four years of doing almost nothing it does seem relevant.

And in answering this post, knowing there was an answer, but not quite knowing what it was, it occurred to me that I've come by this by the nature of things. I'm still kinda sitting with it and yet to go out the other side but the years and years of making stuff seems pertinent.

As in wanting stuff but not being bothered doing all the work to afford it so going the other way and making it myself to the point where anything I put my mind to can be achieved ended up putting a really big question mark over why anything might even be achieved in the first place.

I know it was driven initially by a need to fit in then turned into a need to stand apart and make it work for me then just plain discovery without having to impress anyone and eventually this talent for being able to just do what ever was required pared down the needs almost to non existence.

The law of diminishing returns, looking back, was one of the most interesting kind of developments whereby the enough time, the it'll do for the work required, came into play and this then gave an almost wholly new aesthetic to being which made the discovery of the 'the power of now' seem like an almost forgone conclusion.

Astro
21-02-2015, 12:51 PM

That's good advice thank you Ivy. I like your agrument about excitement & anxiety being the same thing, that's very though provoking.

Astro
21-02-2015, 12:55 PM
So be ok with that. Adjusting to a new paradigm takes time.

Thanks Athribiristan. I know I have to be patient but it's nice to know other's have experience with this. Paradigm, nice word, very helpful to me that one :icon_thumleft:

Astro
21-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Caught up in the chase of phenomena and then breaking free may take some rewriting of the script of who one IS may take some time, although no time is reqired. Nothing unknown about it, just remembering.

Many feelings during withdrawal.

This is something I'm not unfamiliar with:wink:

Astro
21-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I didn't realize how in the present I was until a co-worker turned
best friend always, and I mean always, lives in the future ...
for the last 29 yrs I have known her!
It is amazing to watch and listen to...the funny thing is ...is I have been with
her in these "future events'' and in those present moments she isn't enjoying herself!
The very thing she was planning and getting excited about!

I don't say a thing, not for 29 yrs, this is just how she lives
...it is very fascinating to watch the pathology, tho.

I was surprised that a new friend even mentioned it to me ...that she lives in the future.
No judgment...just different.

So I really get your post, Astro...I agree...and luv The Matrix! :thumbsup:

I can see myself in your friend Miss Hepburn. Maintianing a schedule means to be looking to the future always, in my experience. Even when I have time to relax & enjoy life, I have to watch the clock. This being a disease had crossed my mind, it's no way to live.:hug2:

Astro
21-02-2015, 01:11 PM
The older you get the less you worry about the future. Which makes sense since there's less of it for every day that passes. And life? Life is what happened regardless of what you planned.

Yes, reminds me of a John Lennon song.

Astro
21-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Making plans and goals for a future is useful, it's a precious skill, we are capable of creating mental projections into the future.

But every tool can be use in a righteous way or in an incorrect way.

There is a time to think in future projects, there is a time to remember the past and gather its wisdom, there is time to live in the present just as it is :)

After all we have all the time of the universe (eternity)

That's an important point I think. This is what I've yet to see clearly or plan for.

Astro
21-02-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm agreeing with n2mec on this one but I'm not altogether sure why but after almost four years of doing almost nothing it does seem relevant.

And in answering this post, knowing there was an answer, but not quite knowing what it was, it occurred to me that I've come by this by the nature of things. I'm still kinda sitting with it and yet to go out the other side but the years and years of making stuff seems pertinent.

As in wanting stuff but not being bothered doing all the work to afford it so going the other way and making it myself to the point where anything I put my mind to can be achieved ended up putting a really big question mark over why anything might even be achieved in the first place.

I know it was driven initially by a need to fit in then turned into a need to stand apart and make it work for me then just plain discovery without having to impress anyone and eventually this talent for being able to just do what ever was required pared down the needs almost to non existence.

The law of diminishing returns, looking back, was one of the most interesting kind of developments whereby the enough time, the it'll do for the work required, came into play and this then gave an almost wholly new aesthetic to being which made the discovery of the 'the power of now' seem like an almost forgone conclusion.

It sound's like you're living a charmed life Mr Interesting, thanks for sharing that. I certainly feel the need to stand apart at the moment.

Nameless
21-02-2015, 01:40 PM
I lived most of my life in the future, until I realized I was missing out on my life.

EnJoy each moment -- if there is any goal in life, that should be at the top of the list, and then everything else flows easily. There is so much Joy in my day, but if I don't set my intention in the morning to see it and allow it in, then I miss out on it.

Knight_of_Light
21-02-2015, 04:18 PM
OP, I can totally relate! Like Nameless I was living in the future due to the whole visualizing craze. But I found out affirmations about the present work better for me. I also think the future is always regarded as that great thing we should look forward to. While it's just a human concept. We only have the present and the memories of the past, which is a present that is gone. I decided to focus on the now and keep just the positive memories, without thinking about the future and visualizing it. It's so relieving to stop worrying about where are you going to be tomorrow. :smile:

Moonglow
21-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Hello,

The present for me includes past, future, and present.

Meaning, what I have learned, experienced, and survived affects the way I may view things, view myself and others, and my view on life.

I make plans, have hopes and dreams, try and prepare for what I may have to do or expenses I may owe.

I am living and experiencing the present and in this look at what I may desire to do for the day or just enjoy the moment relaxing.

So, for me, it all intertwines and in some ways turn worry into action. If I can do something to change it, then make efforts to change it. Which includes using what I have learned, listening to myself (a big one for me), and having trust in my abilities to change (if so desired). Takes time and effort for me.

If I can not change it, then do the best to adjust to it and make the preparation that may be necessary. Such as the weather changes.

For me, it is letting go of past mistakes and looking at old patterns. They may have had their purpose at a time in life, but if they are more of a hindrance then a help, then ask "What is going on?"

Sometimes it is a security thing. Even if it makes me uncomfortable or frustrated, it is still a known thing and the unknowing can be a bit scary in its uncertainties, don't you think for some?

This response is a bit longer then intended, but this discussion has brought up some reflections for me to look at.

alhambra
21-02-2015, 05:45 PM
?...........

BlueSky
21-02-2015, 07:36 PM

I could never master living in the present but I knew it wasn't because I was doing it wrong. I would attempt to experience little things like the water hitting me in the shower, only to find myself thinking about something else after 10 seconds lol.
What I have found is that, living in the present is not something we should strive for. This is because it is simply a byproduct of the changes associated with spiritual growth.
In a way, you become presence and there becomes less to think about.
It's a natural process and the road there is just as amazing as the destination.
(I meant to quote the OP, not Ivy....sorry)

Mr Interesting
21-02-2015, 07:49 PM
A charmed life?

I like that! I am, hopefully, a charming man.

My conundrum of the moment is that I want the best for people but feel an honest and dis-arming need for them to hurry up and see that. I get frustrated that they keep on diving into holes and it makes me frown and get uppity.

I have to delve into this - it's starting to stick out and be cumbersome as I deny my own happiness in favour of nitpicking their choices.

I am guilty, I think, of wanting the present to be my own nuclear deterrent, a device of mass destruction that will rend the world clean and wholesome.

Okay, that's going a bit far but I'm glad I went there... it makes sense.

ajay00
22-02-2015, 11:51 AM

I would say persist with this practice, say in parks, or forests or the sea-shore. Just live deeply in the moment, forgetting the past or the future. Be in the moment, and come slowly in tune with nature, which also lives in the moment.

After some time in this regard, you can feel great bliss and joy as your powers of perception increases without the interference of thoughts( of past or future), and you perceive the great colour and beauty around.

This joy and happiness experienced will then give you more motivation to live in the moment deeply, and you will continue the practice.

After all , after tasting nectar, one would have no interest in drinking filthy water any more.

Also understand that this practice is healing you of all your past karmas and expanding your consciousness.

Meditation is living in the present moment, and knowledge/practice of meditation techniques also helps to keep you grounded in the present moment.

You can also use these as self-motivators and inspirational quotes to live in the present ...

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Jesus Christ

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Astro
22-02-2015, 07:59 PM
I lived most of my life in the future, until I realized I was missing out on my life.

EnJoy each moment -- if there is any goal in life, that should be at the top of the list, and then everything else flows easily. There is so much Joy in my day, but if I don't set my intention in the morning to see it and allow it in, then I miss out on it.

Yes I like the sound of that. Just one thing at a time to be done, & the time taken to enjoy it.:smile:

Astro
22-02-2015, 08:07 PM
OP, I can totally relate! Like Nameless I was living in the future due to the whole visualizing craze. But I found out affirmations about the present work better for me. I also think the future is always regarded as that great thing we should look forward to. While it's just a human concept. We only have the present and the memories of the past, which is a present that is gone. I decided to focus on the now and keep just the positive memories, without thinking about the future and visualizing it. It's so relieving to stop worrying about where are you going to be tomorrow. :smile:

It's a thing of hope the future. That's how I'm seeing it, even though it's been that way for a long time, I suppose it can be easy to take it for granted when it's part of your culture, for right or for wrong. Most definately for wrong is what I'm seeing. Like a carrot on a stick, that thing in the future.

Miss Hepburn
22-02-2015, 08:23 PM
I can see myself in your friend...
Maintaining a schedule means to be looking to the future always, in my experience.. Hi,
She is pathologically thinking about a certain meal at a restaurant, a vacation, a visit excitedly...
then, there really was 'no thrill' in the event
...it is quite something to sit back and observe.

YET! in the present that she is planning happily...she IS happy, see?
So, what do I know?
Be happy even if not living in the present moment exactly....
that works for me, anyway...being happy regardless of anything...
I mean even when you discover a dent made in the parking lot...
for a second, say, 'Dam*'...then, 'Oh well, coulda been worse!', and
drop it...continue on being happy in that present moment!

Astro
22-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Hello,

The present for me includes past, future, and present.

Meaning, what I have learned, experienced, and survived affects the way I may view things, view myself and others, and my view on life.

I make plans, have hopes and dreams, try and prepare for what I may have to do or expenses I may owe.

I am living and experiencing the present and in this look at what I may desire to do for the day or just enjoy the moment relaxing.

So, for me, it all intertwines and in some ways turn worry into action. If I can do something to change it, then make efforts to change it. Which includes using what I have learned, listening to myself (a big one for me), and having trust in my abilities to change (if so desired). Takes time and effort for me.

If I can not change it, then do the best to adjust to it and make the preparation that may be necessary. Such as the weather changes.

For me, it is letting go of past mistakes and looking at old patterns. They may have had their purpose at a time in life, but if they are more of a hindrance then a help, then ask "What is going on?"

Sometimes it is a security thing. Even if it makes me uncomfortable or frustrated, it is still a known thing and the unknowing can be a bit scary in its uncertainties, don't you think for some?

This response is a bit longer then intended, but this discussion has brought up some reflections for me to look at.

Hello Moonglow,

Yes I agree with much of what you have to say. The hard part I find is being still as thing's come to me. It's like a new adventure though, on the upside.

Astro
22-02-2015, 08:54 PM
I could never master living in the present but I knew it wasn't because I was doing it wrong. I would attempt to experience little things like the water hitting me in the shower, only to find myself thinking about something else after 10 seconds lol.
What I have found is that, living in the present is not something we should strive for. This is because it is simply a byproduct of the changes associated with spiritual growth.
In a way, you become presence and there becomes less to think about.
It's a natural process and the road there is just as amazing as the destination.
(I meant to quote the OP, not Ivy....sorry)

That's a very concise explanation Capacity, thank you.:icon_thumleft:

The word transition come's to mind as read it. Not entirely sure why yet. I'm guessing this is what I should expect the outcome to be like.

Astro
22-02-2015, 09:15 PM
A charmed life?

I like that! I am, hopefully, a charming man.

My conundrum of the moment is that I want the best for people but feel an honest and dis-arming need for them to hurry up and see that. I get frustrated that they keep on diving into holes and it makes me frown and get uppity.

I have to delve into this - it's starting to stick out and be cumbersome as I deny my own happiness in favour of nitpicking their choices.

I am guilty, I think, of wanting the present to be my own nuclear deterrent, a device of mass destruction that will rend the world clean and wholesome.

Okay, that's going a bit far but I'm glad I went there... it makes sense.

:D
Sometime's you can only steer people, the rest is up to them to succeed or fail at.

And I think we're all in this together. Like there's an interdependancy. We count on each other to make it out of this world of sin, which is why it's important to raise awareness. In my opinion.

Astro
22-02-2015, 09:31 PM
I would say persist with this practice, say in parks, or forests or the sea-shore. Just live deeply in the moment, forgetting the past or the future. Be in the moment, and come slowly in tune with nature, which also lives in the moment.

After some time in this regard, you can feel great bliss and joy as your powers of perception increases without the interference of thoughts( of past or future), and you perceive the great colour and beauty around.

This joy and happiness experienced will then give you more motivation to live in the moment deeply, and you will continue the practice.

After all , after tasting nectar, one would have no interest in drinking filthy water any more.

Also understand that this practice is healing you of all your past karmas and expanding your consciousness.

Meditation is living in the present moment, and knowledge/practice of meditation techniques also helps to keep you grounded in the present moment.

You can also use these as self-motivators and inspirational quotes to live in the present ...

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Jesus Christ

The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Yes I agree with you Ajay, nature is the most wondrful gift. If it was all we had I swear we would have a greater perception of the present moment. Living by the sun & the moon would be like a golden age.

Meditation I find valuable as well.

That's a nice quote as well.

Thank you.

Knight_of_Light
22-02-2015, 09:32 PM
It's a thing of hope the future. That's how I'm seeing it, even though it's been that way for a long time, I suppose it can be easy to take it for granted when it's part of your culture, for right or for wrong. Most definately for wrong is what I'm seeing. Like a carrot on a stick, that thing in the future.
Yeah, but if you focus on imagining your perfect future you might become depressed if you start comparing it with the present. And that makes it go even further away. I found myself having great expectations about going abroad and when I got what I wanted I was no longer happy. My lesson is to learn to be present and stop dreaming, as it never amounted to anything positive in my life.
On a side note, animals don't dream about the future and they certainly are happier than humans. :smile:

Astro
23-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi,
She is pathologically thinking about a certain meal at a restaurant, a vacation, a visit excitedly...
then, there really was 'no thrill' in the event
...it is quite something to sit back and observe.

YET! in the present that she is planning happily...she IS happy, see?
So, what do I know?
Be happy even if not living in the present moment exactly....
that works for me, anyway...being happy regardless of anything...
I mean even when you discover a dent made in the parking lot...
for a second, say, 'Dam*'...then, 'Oh well, coulda been worse!', and
drop it...continue on being happy in that present moment!

Well I've been hesitant to post this, because I agree with you, it's not nice to pee on someone's fireworks. BUT, it's false hope isn't it? Unless one has an important goal to achieve, anything else is just searching for happiness while not really being aware that one might be looking at it from the wrong angle. That is, when the results aren't making happiness.

Again it's one of those things you can't help with because you'd be over stepping the mark if you were to speak up. One has to live their own life, free will and all that.

boxinggregger0
23-02-2015, 09:54 PM
..dont entertain false hopes , been there mate it does you no good , awaking does this , believe me when i can say i understand....freedom from these things that burden us....past present future all in the moment ...soul connections do this , all in the lessons , i dont entertain any certainties about anything ...just look for the truth ! i say go get some help , plenty of good stuff to look in on ! dont make my mistake and become hooked on untruth ! astro im currently working with three connections and there all a nightmare , you try bpd , bondage fetishes and drug and alchol abuse , and bob is your uncle !
as well as trying to hold down a job .......of coarse you dont have to acknowledge the connection , even though she works with you much like a shill , still with three on the go bob is my uncle , but i just ave to play my part ...having a twin flame around is certainly many shades of grey , but i also have her identical energetic match sister too , you dont want that or having to be the father to a daughter .....i wish you well with your connection !
so im led to believe twin flame is source not obsession , its gods will not mine , i work towards source !

Shanti Shanti
25-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Read the gita especially chapter 1 and the advice Sri Krishna gives in next 6 chapters. You are in the same predicament as Arjuna. Ramakrishna mission have good versions. Learn to love the dung.

Lumen
26-02-2015, 05:13 PM
The problem is you are trying to reach fulfillment through the mind.

Seek the seeker within and you will find your path.