PDA

View Full Version : How should I approach spirituality?

SiriusBlack
12-02-2015, 03:23 PM
(Firstly, this is my first time posting here and I'm so excited to be a part of this community!!:icon_cheers: Hello to everyone!:smile: This post is super long and a bit of a trainwreck but bear with me..)

I have always been a spiritual person and have recognized this but I’ve only recently started to dwell deeper. I’ve started to think what it really means for me and how I can approach spirituality. The thing is, I have mental health issues such as major depression, general anxiety and panic disorder, but I’m actively receiving therapy for them and am in good hands, so to speak.* I’m trying to get some intense healing done but recognize that I’m on a very long path to recovery. I would love to have spirituality complimenting that.

I’m interested in a variety of things such as crystal healing (which I am trying to incorporate into my life atm), lucid dreaming, astral projection, chakras, past life recall, angels and spirit guides, magick, meditation... to name a few. I haven’t had many experiences apart from hearing and feeling things in a place that I suspect is/was haunted and feeling the effect of crystals and a having one dream about a spirit guide. I sometimes I get intuitive "hits". But I can’t help but think that I'm contributing to “bad” things with my inevitable bouts of depression like giving the “haunter” a boost. I’ve figured that crystals are quite a safe way for me to feel better and there's not much harm I can do using them apart from maybe messing their "tune" if I'm feeling something very intense. However, I’ve read that you shouldn’t, for example, contact angels or spirit guides if you’re feeling anything other than happiness and gratefulness because you can invite in entities that want to harm you.

I’m worried that I may be sending negative energy out there and that it will manifest more negativity into my life. I know that in the past, when I was quite ill, my friend's psychic mother could sense an intense negative energy lingering even when I had left hours ago. Even though I am nowhere near that mindset and can be quite optimistic and healthy nowadays, I still worry. I get a little bummed out whenever someone says that you need to be in a positive place to do something spiritual because sometimes I just can’t but I could still be in need of intense support. Sometimes I need to be reminded that there is love and happiness in the world and that I am one with everything. I want to be able to welcome love and happiness into my life and know that I'm not alone on my quest.

I know that my healing will take years and years but it would be a shame to just abandon spirituality because of that. As I am a beginner on this path and have no mentor and there are not spiritual groups were I live, I’m left to do all my learning from books and the internet with an intuition I don’t fully trust yet. I recognize that my mental state makes me vulnerable so I’m not going to temp fate by diving head first into things I don’t understand.

So my question is, what should and shouldn’t I do? What are some safe means to connect with the source and myself? What should I stay away from, for now at least?

*I do have the opportunity to take medication if I'm feeling intense anxiety or having a panick attack but it's not a necessity, if I don't see it fit. It means that I'm not on a continued perscription of medication. It's very much in my hands what methods I use to calm down and I have discussed this with my doctor (!!) hence why I'm talking about it in the first place. I don't feel very good taking the medication because of the possible side effects and the though that it lowers your vibration doesn't sound too good either so I would like to use more natural ways of calming down -- such as crystals. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as well!:smile:

Shekinah
12-02-2015, 04:15 PM
As a student of the mysteries and the occult for much of my life I have delved into most every school of thought. From personal experience I would recommend you take a look at Wicca because it offers all that you seem to be seeking and much more. Wicca is a direct portal into magick and Spirituality. You will become a "walker between worlds" and acquire the magick to influence probabilities in your life. Any questions for me feel free to contact me. I am a solitary, eclectic Witch and very blessed.
Shekinah.

kkfern
12-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Slow down. When you listed all you are trying, it wore me out. Small steps to start. It will give you a ferm foundation.

Kk

vitaraq18
12-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Be open minded, be mindful but don't force yourself to be it just try to create a natural rhythm in your life.
Explore the different personalities and build on and on.

Maguru
13-02-2015, 04:22 AM
(Firstly, this is my first time posting here and I'm so excited to be a part of this community!!:icon_cheers: Hello to everyone!:smile: This post is super long and a bit of a trainwreck but bear with me..)

I have always been a spiritual person and have recognized this but I’ve only recently started to dwell deeper. I’ve started to think what it really means for me and how I can approach spirituality. The thing is, I have mental health issues such as major depression, general anxiety and panic disorder, but I’m actively receiving therapy for them and am in good hands, so to speak.* I’m trying to get some intense healing done but recognize that I’m on a very long path to recovery. I would love to have spirituality complimenting that.

I’m interested in a variety of things such as crystal healing (which I am trying to incorporate into my life atm), lucid dreaming, astral projection, chakras, past life recall, angels and spirit guides, magick, meditation... to name a few. I haven’t had many experiences apart from hearing and feeling things in a place that I suspect is/was haunted and feeling the effect of crystals and a having one dream about a spirit guide. I sometimes I get intuitive "hits". But I can’t help but think that I'm contributing to “bad” things with my inevitable bouts of depression like giving the “haunter” a boost. I’ve figured that crystals are quite a safe way for me to feel better and there's not much harm I can do using them apart from maybe messing their "tune" if I'm feeling something very intense. However, I’ve read that you shouldn’t, for example, contact angels or spirit guides if you’re feeling anything other than happiness and gratefulness because you can invite in entities that want to harm you.

I’m worried that I may be sending negative energy out there and that it will manifest more negativity into my life. I know that in the past, when I was quite ill, my friend's psychic mother could sense an intense negative energy lingering even when I had left hours ago. Even though I am nowhere near that mindset and can be quite optimistic and healthy nowadays, I still worry. I get a little bummed out whenever someone says that you need to be in a positive place to do something spiritual because sometimes I just can’t but I could still be in need of intense support. Sometimes I need to be reminded that there is love and happiness in the world and that I am one with everything. I want to be able to welcome love and happiness into my life and know that I'm not alone on my quest.

I know that my healing will take years and years but it would be a shame to just abandon spirituality because of that. As I am a beginner on this path and have no mentor and there are not spiritual groups were I live, I’m left to do all my learning from books and the internet with an intuition I don’t fully trust yet. I recognize that my mental state makes me vulnerable so I’m not going to temp fate by diving head first into things I don’t understand.

So my question is, what should and shouldn’t I do? What are some safe means to connect with the source and myself? What should I stay away from, for now at least?

*I do have the opportunity to take medication if I'm feeling intense anxiety or having a panick attack but it's not a necessity, if I don't see it fit. It means that I'm not on a continued perscription of medication. It's very much in my hands what methods I use to calm down and I have discussed this with my doctor (!!) hence why I'm talking about it in the first place. I don't feel very good taking the medication because of the possible side effects and the though that it lowers your vibration doesn't sound too good either so I would like to use more natural ways of calming down -- such as crystals. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as well!:smile:
I too have suffered as you are and all my searching brought me back to me. My perspective on spirituality is that it's all about you, and me. Spirituality is there for your evolution. Regards and welcome.:smile:

athribiristan
13-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Start here:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80936

I started this thread for people exactly like you. Hope it helps

dryad
13-02-2015, 06:39 PM
Start with the healing and inner work. Explore what causes the panic disorder and transcend it. Work on self esteem and self worth. Then explore your dark side. Turn your shadow self into an ally. Transcend your fear and negativity.

Meditation is good and work on communication with your guides. Guides are already with you. Dont reach outside yourself looking for them.

The depression could interfere with astral travel and magik so leave them for a bit later or times when the depression is not affecting you.

Healing will help. Send me a pm if you want to discuss further.

Lumen
14-02-2015, 11:15 PM
I have been through this myself. I am currently on medication for anxiety and have been exploring the spiritual path for about 6 months now with good results.

The most important thing for you to do in my opinion is meditate. Learn how to do it well and practice it a lot because it can literally reverse anxiety. It has been the single most helpful skill I have ever learned in my whole life and has created the foundation for my entire understanding of life and spirituality.

The second thing I would do is watch youtube video's by spiritual teachers. There are a lot of strange characters out there who maybe know and understand things I don't but I am more of a practical person that likes a less mumbo jumbo approach, so I would highly recommend searching for these people on youtube:

Mooji

Adyashanti

Sadghuru

Eckhart Tolle

Also videos about Buddha and Jesus are very inspiring I find.

Good luck on your quest friend :)

VinceField
15-02-2015, 12:28 AM
The number One thing you must do in order to achieve spiritual growth is to purify your mind. What this essentially entails is the removal of your mind's defilements- all of the unskillful inclinations, habits, and behaviors of your mind that lead to stress and suffering (ie greed, attachment, ill-will, aversion, delusion, and ignorance), and the cultivation of skillful qualities of mind which lead to wholesome and harmless states of being and an inner, unconditioned source of love, goodwill, compassion, equanimity, peace, happiness, insight, and wisdom.

This is the very core of spiritual growth. It's not about filling your mind with extravagant metaphysical fairy tales or engaging in practices aimed at developing some kind of psychic powers. First and foremost it's about developing the insight into why you are suffering and developing a practice aimed at effectively uprooting the causes of suffering and replacing them with the causes of wholesome and enlightened states of mind. Having psychic abilities or metaphysical knowledge will do you little good if you are unable to abandon your mind's unskillful habitual tendencies which cause you suffering on a daily basis.

Lumen
15-02-2015, 12:33 AM
Yea agree with VinceField also, good points

durgaa
15-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Always be Sincere and Aspire for the Highest. lf your sincere you'll be guided to the Truth..

Good Luck and Blessings.

luntrusreality
16-02-2015, 09:28 PM

I rarely recommend it but "Jed McKenna - Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damndest Thing" could be of some use for you ;) (not only for you!)

vitaraq18
16-02-2015, 09:44 PM
I research all I need to know and build up from there.

Dwerg
16-02-2015, 11:35 PM
The first time I had to deal with depression and anxiety was pretty brutal since my ego was too big to accept help, much because I was also too paranoid to know who to trust. Really a hopeless situation, still get that feeling once in a while. Usually what I do is to bounce my emotions by remembering and focusing on intense positive moments, this generates motivation to deal with the problem, regardless of what I have to do to be happy again. I also challenge myself by question, I like to make myself wonder how long I will allow myself to feel bad and how willing I am to feel good. May just work for me though, I'm highly self motivated.