PDA

View Full Version : Living in the 'now' but still preparing yourself for the future

Fleur de Frost
02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Fresh outta high school and I am deeply struggling with this concept. I understand/empathize with the concept of living in the moment, for sure. But the teachings of 'future experiences don't exist' and 'you have to focus on right now' aren't helping me plan ahead for the future.

Whenever I'm just doing my thing in the moment, listening to my inner guide and completing whatever actions call to my spirit right then and there, I'm happy. But, at the same time, I'm not developing pathways for the future - something completely necessary at this stage in my life. When I do try that, fear and anxiety grabs me into a headlock. I cannot stand planning ahead, and I immediately retreat into the safety of 'now'. It's almost like this all-spiritual concept has become a method for me to avoid my actual obligations.

So, my question is, how do these two contradictory ideas come into play? How can you plan your future but still focus on the present moment?

Edit: I am 99% certain my ego has a huge role in this. I'm terrified of an insecure future, not knowing where I'm going, not having a stable career path to walk down. Guess the question now becomes: how can I quiet my ego's desire to live in the future enough to live in the present?"

jonesboy
02-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Let's say your in college wanting to be a doctor.

In the now you are picking your classes to fit that objective. Doing the things now that need to be done now.

What you are not doing is saying how life will be so much better in the future. Daydreaming about what the future and how it will make you happier once you become a doctor or finish a class.

I hope this helps.

Miss Hepburn
02-02-2015, 06:08 PM
How?
Enjoy your planning for the future...now.
Always enjoy the moment...even if you are picturing a vacation,
for example...the vacation and the beach are not happening now...
but your enjoyment of the thought is.
:smile:

skygazer
02-02-2015, 06:17 PM
making life decisions can be so overwhelming, especially to someone with as much insight as you, because you have an understanding of what is at stake. I think if I was at the point in my life that you are now, and know what I know now, I would take great care in listening to my intuition before deciding what to do...
on the other hand, nothing you decide is set in stone. When it no longer serves you, or if at any point you find a better path living in the moment will free you to go exploring else where.

SnufflexD
02-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Just plan ahead forget the now theres nothing right here right now.
We have big *** brains for running complex simulations of the future and all the ways it can **** up.

the real term is make the most of now, or make the most of every oppotunity.

If you start letting go of the future youll spend all your time in the past trust me. (not all bad tho cuz itle improve your memory but you just wont have any life goals to chase and youll end up lazy)

athribiristan
02-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Fresh outta high school and I am deeply struggling with this concept. I understand/empathize with the concept of living in the moment, for sure. But the teachings of 'future experiences don't exist' and 'you have to focus on right now' aren't helping me plan ahead for the future.

Whenever I'm just doing my thing in the moment, listening to my inner guide and completing whatever actions call to my spirit right then and there, I'm happy. But, at the same time, I'm not developing pathways for the future - something completely necessary at this stage in my life. When I do try that, fear and anxiety grabs me into a headlock. I cannot stand planning ahead, and I immediately retreat into the safety of 'now'. It's almost like this all-spiritual concept has become a method for me to avoid my actual obligations.

So, my question is, how do these two contradictory ideas come into play? How can you plan your future but still focus on the present moment?

Edit: I am 99% certain my ego has a huge role in this. I'm terrified of an insecure future, not knowing where I'm going, not having a stable career path to walk down. Guess the question now becomes: how can I quiet my ego's desire to live in the future enough to live in the present?"

The point is to be in the now and not dwell in the past or live in the future. That is not to say that we don't visit those places. The past has much to teach us. As we grow as people we learn new lessons from past experiences. Being in the now is effectively putting those lessons to work for you so you don't fall into destructive patterns of behavior in the future. Likewise, planning for the future is perfectly valid. As Miss H. said, plan for the future....now. But don't live there. Don't wander through your day wondering what tomorrow will be like, or dreaming about how much better it will be. Doing so causes us to miss all the opportunities we have right now to actually make it better.

LadyMay
02-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Our paths are already pre-planned by our higher selves. When we relax and not worry we go with the flow and allow things to unfold as they are meant to.

When we worry that's when we can mess things up... lol.

Living in the moment is so important. Hard, but so freeing.

Nothing can go wrong. We only believe that it can. Changing our beliefs is the first step to happiness.

wstein
03-02-2015, 01:11 AM
I'm happy. But, at the same time, I'm not developing pathways for the future First of all, being in the 'now' does not mean living in a single moment in time. Now refers that which is affecting you currently. As such an event with a future time-stamp can be affecting you at this moment. An easy example is going to an appointment. In order to be there at the agreed time, you have to start your travel some time earlier. Therefore that appointment enters the now when you have to start traveling, not at the agreed time.

When I do try that, fear and anxiety grabs me into a headlock. I cannot stand planning ahead, and I immediately retreat into the safety of 'now'.

Edit: I am 99% certain my ego has a huge role in this. I'm terrified of an insecure future, not knowing where I'm going, not having a stable career path to walk down. Guess the question now becomes: how can I quiet my ego's desire to live in the future enough to live in the present?" That last bit would seem to be the real issue: an uncertain future. Probably better characterized as fear than ego per se.

VinceField
03-02-2015, 01:23 AM

I believe the most beneficial interpretation of the phrase "live in the Now" means to be fully aware of what you are doing in the present moment, as opposed to doing something half-heartedly or half-focused, with another part of your mind elsewhere.

So if you need to plan for the future, great! Be fully aware of that planning while you are doing it in the present moment. After all, thinking happens in the present moment.

Perhaps set aside some time specifically for your planning, contemplation, research, etc, and if any important thoughts relating to your plans come up while you are engaged in something else, take a note and save it for later, or if unproductive worry arises, learn to let go of it.

And this brings us to your final question- how to quiet your ego's desire to live in the future. I believe this comes with understanding that nothing is certain and nothing is permanent. Do what feels right now, understanding that what feels right to you may change next year, or next month, or tomorrow, and that is okay.

sunsoul
03-02-2015, 01:46 AM
If you are doing everything fully in the moment whether future plans or tasks of the moment then all is well. The daydreaming about the future is what takes us away from ourselves although some dreaming of course can be beneficial as long as we don't get caught up in it..

revolver
03-02-2015, 02:06 AM
How?
Enjoy your planning for the future...now.
Always enjoy the moment...even if you are picturing a vacation,
for example...the vacation and the beach are not happening now...
but your enjoyment of the thought is.
:smile:
Yes that is what I was going to say.:smile:

blackraven
03-02-2015, 05:21 PM
I believe the most beneficial interpretation of the phrase "live in the Now" means to be fully aware of what you are doing in the present moment, as opposed to doing something half-heartedly or half-focused, with another part of your mind elsewhere.

So if you need to plan for the future, great! Be fully aware of that planning while you are doing it in the present moment. After all, thinking happens in the present moment.

Perhaps set aside some time specifically for your planning, contemplation, research, etc, and if any important thoughts relating to your plans come up while you are engaged in something else, take a note and save it for later, or if unproductive worry arises, learn to let go of it.

And this brings us to your final question- how to quiet your ego's desire to live in the future. I believe this comes with understanding that nothing is certain and nothing is permanent. Do what feels right now, understanding that what feels right to you may change next year, or next month, or tomorrow, and that is okay.

Wise words, VinceField. A zen-like approach to being fully present with whatever one is doing, thinking, feeling, etc. :smile:

Blackraven

VinceField
03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Wise words, VinceField. A zen-like approach to being fully present with whatever one is doing, thinking, feeling, etc. :smile:

Blackraven

Thank you, and yes, this is a Buddhist perspective of the issue. Particularly, the ability to let go of one's attachments is the key to spiritual development and personal growth. It is our attachments which continue to drive us to continuously make the same unskillful choices. So in this case, it would likely be tremendously helpful to let go of the attachment to the idea that your future needs to be planned now, or the attachment to any ideas of what your future should be like. With a solid and effective spiritual practice set as one's priority, all other choices made in one's life will be able to be better held with the right perspective and attitude of non-attachment, joy, and equanimity. Planning your future should be an enjoyable endeavor. :)

Miss Hepburn
03-02-2015, 08:08 PM
When we worry that's when we can mess things up... lol.
Living in the moment is so important.
Hard, but so freeing.
Nothing can go wrong. We only believe that it can.
Changing our beliefs is the first step to happiness. If I may be so bold...and with respect...for anyone who cares about this stuff..
there are subtleties to catch as we move on in our growth...

Reprogram the mind to never even use the word worry...
a nonsensical, useless function that is reinforced so often to have
the subconscious mind think it is 'normal'...maybe even 'loving', or
helpful. (I started a thread on it! Ha)

'Hard'....as long as someone believes, and then, even reenforces
the idea of 'difficulty' with words...it will always be so...hard and difficult.

As an exercise...notice how many times on the television, in conversation, in posts,
in movies the word worry and hard
are reinforced as 'the way of life', 'that's the way it is'.

Replace a sentence you hear immediately in your thoughts with
something like, "That's not hard for me...it's a piece o' cake to
do that...everything will turn out as it should, I have no worries...
Worry? I haven't a care in the world..."
And on and on...replace, reframe, re-program these beliefs of
worry and hardship ...with ease and 'I can do that'.

These thoughts and usage of the very words keep the paper chains of limitation
on our hearts and spirits...tho, we have a lighthearted reason for using them.

Ok, just sayin'...don't have to agree. :smile:
Not picking on any one person...just a general observation,
for anyone interested.
Lemme know how it changes your thinking after practicing for a week
not using these words.

Hi, revolver :)