PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Toenail disruption/Fungus

CrystalSong
27-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I have a friend who's plagued with what seems to me to be toenail fungus.

Thick toenails, with lines in them tending to be brittle, they are wavy on the surface also, not smooth and flat.

Any ideas what would cure it?

Shaunc
29-01-2015, 05:44 AM
Salt water & tea tree oil. If you live near the coast, just wade into the sea for 20-30 minutes twice/day & once his feet are dry rub some tea tree oil on them. Try this for a week or two & see if there's an improvement.

athribiristan
29-01-2015, 05:49 AM
I used to drive past a sign on a certain road that read "fungus under the nails? try melalucia (sp?) tea tree oil". Never did but it was there for years so I assume they did all right with that.

CrystalSong
29-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Will buy him some, thank you both!!

Tobi
30-01-2015, 12:56 AM
I have heard Tea Tree oil is very good for fungal infections.
Also, a combination of Marigold, Echinacea Angustifolia, and Myrrh Tincture is good. But that would be best applied as a poultice and kept there for a while, so on feet that might be hard to apply 3 times a day.

fennel
02-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I will echo the others...tea tree oil is amazing for fungal infections. I used it successfully on ringworm, which is a fungal infection (not a worm).

Silver
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Well, this one is probably gonna blow your mind, but using one's own urine, as in a foot soak. I'd heard of urine therapy and below is an excerpt from some place on line:

External application

Massaging/Rubbing - You can use either fresh or old urine. Old urine (4 to 8 days) is generally more effective, but it has a strong to very strong smell. Massaging the whole body is a very important complementary treatment when fasting. It nourishes the body through the skin and helps against increased heartbeat. You can leave the urine on or wash it off after an hour or so, just with water or with a mild, natural soap. Fresh urine as an after shave gives you a beautiful soft skin. But it is also very helpful and healing in all kind of skin problems: itching, sunburns, eczema, psoriasis, acne, etc..
Gentle rubbing of urine into acupressure points (e.g. on the ears) - very useful when reactions are otherwise too strong, e.g. with very heavy allergic reaction.
Footbaths - Any skin and nail problems of the feet (athletes foot, ringworm, etc.)
Compress - When rubbing is not appropriate, this is another way of applying urine on the skin.
Hair- and scalp massage - Renders the hair soft and clean. Sometimes stimulates new hair growth.

CrystalSong
03-02-2015, 03:14 PM
That's pretty wild Silver. LOL
I do know acupuncturist who recommend urine for various things and in the old days it was the 'secret ingredient' that made tanned leather white. White leather was much prized.
There was actually a process for venting (aging) it and the only urine desired for it was the first tinkle in the morning aw it was the strongest.

Nimue
13-02-2015, 02:21 PM
A great, cost effective treatment is a good soak in a mixture of water, vinegar and baking soda.

Starlit
22-02-2015, 08:10 PM
I have this horrible toe nail infection too. I have tried tea tree oil many times rubbing it on my toenails for months and months and I must say it has never worked at all. I have also tried (and tried) grapefruit seed oil but it hasn't cured it either. I have given up sugar and changed my diet, all to no avail it just won't go.

Nimue, thank you I am going to try water, vinegar (cider vinegar probably) and baking soda next, hopefully something will work.

aetherian
23-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I would think it has to be allowed to seep under the nail.

The Back Seat
11-11-2015, 01:45 PM
I've noticed improvements in toe nail appearance using the following:
-chlorine dioxide
-thymol (found in Vicks vapor rub)
-oxygen supplements (I used cellfood)
-I have not tried this but I know oregano oil fights fungus, make sure it's the good stuff)

Golden Eagle
28-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I have a friend who's plagued with what seems to me to be toenail fungus.

Thick toenails, with lines in them tending to be brittle, they are wavy on the surface also, not smooth and flat.

Any ideas what would cure it?

Castor Oil , wrapped in Castor Oil for 6 weeks , changing bandages and gauze daily, soak the gauze in fresh oil each day and clean with baking soda and warm water each morning.

R.Thomas
28-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Oh, dang, I got toenail fungus bad in the military, real bad. I was scared to go to sick call, being that I was a type of medic myself. If there are other military medics on here, y'all might know what I'm talking about: the guy who holds sick call dare not go there himself. Foolish, foolish pride. Any way, I tried many thing. natural remedies, that spray stuff that John Madden endorsed, a civilian doctor told me about this synthetic horse urine stuff, just all types of products. I struggled with that crud for Years. There's one thing that worked for me, but it's not all natural. Two simple weeks of that, and it cleared up. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to plug products on here, but I'm happy to answer a private message, if interested :)

R.Thomas
28-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Whoops, I didn't realize this was under "Natural remedies" when I posted

Tobi
30-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Does Tea Tree oil work for this?
I have never had this problem but have heard it can be quite hard to shift.

Echinacea Angustifolia is also a good natural anti-fungal, as is Marigold, but I have also heard Tea Tree oil is good...(?)

joyfirst
22-12-2015, 04:51 AM
I read that black walnut hull tincture or strong infusion is very effective for fungus of all sorts. I don't remember particulars, but I think like anything else -put some on cotton ball or gauze and tape it on the nail.