PDA

View Full Version : Ganesh Chaturthi

Mystical Warrior
07-01-2015, 08:00 PM
I just left a new years puja dedicated to Lord Ganesh. However I could not get the name of it correctly. Is it called Chaturthi on new year's day or is that only during the month of Bhaadrapada? I have looked on the web in order to prevent asking a weird question but can not locate an extensive answer.

We said prayers and had a fire ceremony in which (as it was explained to me afterwards), we were to toss our troubles and hopes for the new year into the flames.

The entire ceremony was in Hindi so I am not really sure what specifically happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Aum Namah Siva

Vinayaka
08-01-2015, 01:25 AM
There are two Chaturthis each month, one on waxing, one on waning.

Surely it was Sanskrit, not Hindi. Here's a panchang (calendar) link. http://www.drikpanchang.com/vrats/sankashti-chaturthi-dates.html

kris
08-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Chaturthi simply means fourth. In Hindu calendar, it is the fourth day after new moon day or full moon day. It is important to Ganesh worshippers because Ganesh was born on the fourth day after new moon day. Ganesh is Lord of the Beginnings and Ganesh worshippers like to embark on any new activity or enterprise by remembering him.

Mystical Warrior
10-01-2015, 01:15 AM
Hello!
Thank you all sooo much for your answers. Vinayaka I appreciate you informing me of the language. kris I appreciate you for letting me know about the meaning of "fourth". So, I guess Jan 1 was the 4th day after the new moon.

This list is such a wealth of information and I am fortunate to have found it.
Aum