gracec09
05-01-2015, 07:39 PM
how can i let go of expectations
any advice? :smile:

luntrusreality
05-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Accept that you have expectations.
What is wrong with that?
Non-resistance is the key to almost everything ; )

A human Being
06-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Accept that you have expectations.
What is wrong with that?
Non-resistance is the key to almost everything ; )
Couldn't agree more.

EDIT: Also, don't have any expectation that you won't have any expectations :p

luntrusreality
06-01-2015, 07:28 PM
EDIT: Also, don't have any expectation that you won't have any expectations :p

Don't judge yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself
for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself
for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself [...]

:iroc:

Mr Interesting
06-01-2015, 07:51 PM
What helps is seeing that expectations are us trying to protect ourselves by creating outcomes we are comfortable with... at least from the perspective I think you might be asking from.

Because we might have a situation coming to us where our normal self might not thrive the way we'd like so to mask the unease involved, which we might feel deep down, we set up a whole bunch of expectations and then suffer somewhat when we can't fulfill those obligations we've set ourselves.

So it's not the expectations fault it's been misused, as they are quite helpful and beneficial when used properly, but our decision to overlook our unease which we're better served being kindly too than ignoring and trying to cover it over with expectations.

The funny thing is that your true self, which you've asked about before, is often what we're actually uneasy about because there's a kind of naked honesty involved which can be daunting but, and this is the funny bit, is that when we are kind and embracing of that true (initially gawky self, 'cause every swan starts out ugly!) self we find the true self doesn't matter so much as we feel on an instinctive level people approve, not of the real self, so much as they love that we're brave enough to be what they themselves are afraid of...

Then when we feel their approval eventually we realise their approval is nowhere near as important as the approval we gave ourselves to just be us and grow into our big beautiful self... growing pains.

Frederick33
06-01-2015, 09:17 PM
well i lost most expectation already is that also good ?

how ever am always in love that covers for any lack really

not sure what comes next ? a guy ringing my door bell saying

i see your always in love so here is a 300 000 $ red ferrari for you as free ride ?

Miss Hepburn
06-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Why let go of expectations?

If I work a day...I expect a days pay.
If I plant corn...I expect corn...not a tomato.

If I ask God for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g..I expect it will be
provided or I will be given it.

Problem? It is part of realizing who we are and our power to
manifest and create!!

:hug3:

(Believe and receive...it is actually a 'Formula' here.)

gracec09
07-01-2015, 03:09 AM
Why let go of expectations?

If I work a day...I expect a days pay.
If I plant corn...I expect corn...not a tomato.

If I ask God for a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g..I expect it will be
provided or I will be given it.

Problem? It is part of realizing who we are and our power to
manifest and create!!

:hug3:

(Believe and receive...it is actually a 'Formula' here.)

You have a very good example that makes me understand why i should accept my expectations. Thank you.

silent whisper
07-01-2015, 03:14 AM

Breathe and listen. Then you will know how.
Take a step back and speak to yourself about it, often what you need in that moment will come up for you in you.

Shabby
07-01-2015, 03:22 AM
The way of letting go of all expectations is to be detached from the outcome. No attachment...no loss...no suffering.

We expect things and are disappointed when they don't come to pass. Be happy now and know that if something does not happen as expected that there is a higher good awaiting you.

Every experience is a blessing, but sometimes blessings come in unexpected ways : )

Emmalevine
07-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Sometimes expectations are good - they can be about personal boundaries, for example expecting people to behave in a certain way. This doesn't mean they will of course, people behave in different ways, but i think it's okay to have expectations as they link in with the standards we set for ourselves and our interactions with the world. Maybe the idea is to accept our expectations won't necessarily be met, but that it's still okay to have them.

Miss Hepburn
07-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Often, people follow a Buddhist way of thinking...'have no desires'...
'desires are the root of suffering'
...well, that is fine...it doesn't happen to be what I practice.
I have desires and they get fulfilled. Desires and fun make the World go round...:hug3:

But, this is my 'belief system" or Thought System I subscribe to.
Often, people do not want to expect because they 'fear' disappointment.
This is a fear based way to think.

Instead, I encourage 'belief'...you sow love you get love....you
relax and in relaxing I find my connection to the Divine Presence
(I call my Father/Creator)...and I know 'He' wants only my good and that 'might' mean that shiney
new convertible or my mortgage paid off...
which you oldies know happened.

Trust, know...rely on your Creator, God, Source to provide every little thing you want...
just like any loving Father. Never have any doubt.

Disclaimer: But, that's ME. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way.

Miss Hepburn
07-01-2015, 05:10 PM
.... Maybe the idea is to accept our expectations
won't necessarily be met,
but that it's still okay to have them. Btw, in my 'belief system' (which I got from the New Testament)
the moment you think for one nanosecond your wish/expectation
may not happen?
It won't.

There is a formula or system set up brilliantly in this place, this Universe...
believe and receive.
Really basic and simple.

And it is neat because it can be tested...please, anyone...
see for yourselves, do not believe me. :tongue:

Astral Jane
07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
perhaps they are just plans that did not come to fruition because we don't see the whole right path to manifesting. it helps to remain willing to accept the results and integrate them. It's ironic cuz that means trusting that it was actually 'fair' in that it was the best outcome for our efforts, to help us understand how to adjust actions/beliefs and manifest more.

A human Being
07-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Don't judge yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself
for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself
for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself for judging yourself [...]

Good point, well made :tongue:

It's true, though; I've found myself thinking 'argh! you shouldn't have done/said/thought that!' And then I think, 'I shouldn't have thought that!' After doing that for, well, far too bloody long, I got to thinking that all this judgment's just frigging exhausting, not to mention counter-productive.

LadyMay
08-01-2015, 12:29 AM

This is what it all comes down to. That huge realisation knocked a few screws loose huh? :kermit:

Gem
08-01-2015, 02:08 AM
Often, people follow a Buddhist way of thinking...'have no desires'...
'desires are the root of suffering'
...well, that is fine...it doesn't happen to be what I practice.
I have desires and they get fulfilled. Desires and fun make the World go round...

Well this is right and following a prescribed mode of thinking isn't cool.

But, this is my 'belief system" or Thought System I subscribe to.
Often, people do not want to expect because they 'fear' disappointment.
This is a fear based way to think.
It basically means that there are reasonable expectations, but we don't have any control over it, and might encounter the unexpected.

Instead, I encourage 'belief'...you sow love you get love....you
relax and in relaxing I find my connection to the Divine Presence
(I call my Father/Creator)...and I know 'He' wants only my good and that 'might' mean that shiney
new convertible or my mortgage paid off...
which you oldies know happened.
It'd be a delusion to expect everyone to love you or to expect only good fortune, because life has a way of giving and it has a way of taking away.

Trust, know...rely on your Creator, God, Source to provide every little thing you want...
just like any loving Father. Never have any doubt.

Disclaimer: But, that's ME. I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way.
The things that we want and then obtain are impermanent things which soon pass away again.

Emmalevine
08-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Btw, in my 'belief system' (which I got from the New Testament)
the moment you think for one nanosecond your wish/expectation
may not happen?
It won't.

There is a formula or system set up brilliantly in this place, this Universe...
believe and receive.
Really basic and simple.

And it is neat because it can be tested...please, anyone...
see for yourselves, do not believe me. :tongue:

The difficulty for me is that I've believed 100% that my wish or expectation will be met and ended up very disappointed as a result. Also, I've thought things won't work out then when have.

Don't get me wrong, pleased it works for you. I think what you're saying is closely akin to LOA and I know there's truth in vibration attracting certain events, but the idea that every expectation/wish will be met on trust doesn't work for me. The universe is bigger than I am.

Miss Hepburn
08-01-2015, 03:33 PM
The difficulty for me is that I've believed 100% that my wish or expectation will be met and ended up very disappointed as a result. Also, I've thought things won't work out then have.

Don't get me wrong, pleased it works for you. I think what you're saying is closely akin to LOA and I know there's truth in vibration attracting certain events, but the idea that every expectation/wish will be met on trust doesn't work for me. The universe is bigger than I am. I understand.

It is a bit more involved than 'every expectation/wish'
being 'met on trust'.

One small issue (and this is for others reading because you have already said, 'doesn't work for me'..so that is that)
...is what is in the subconscious mind.

We may think we believe 100%...really!...But if there is a sliver of
a doubt ...won't happen...
and we don't even realize in our unconscious mind
that we have that sliver of... maybe unworthiness,
could be a teeny thought of, " I kinda don't deserve this anyway,
No way will 'God' or the Universe give this to me"

It's not even conscious!
But it remains a core belief system...when maybe it was ready
to happen next week and we blocked the natural flow to us...
bec we didn't have patience.
Not saying this was exactly the case , mind you..there are many scenarios.

Our words, thoughts, the feelings, what we read, what people
say to us, so effect our Core Belief System of decades...
one time, 'really believing something will happen'...often is not all
that it takes.

Giving up is everyone's prerogative.
Reworking the process until it works is another.

I am only here to encourage others to study this, "Believe and receive"
formula that really does work.

Also, for people open to Jesus,
"You may ask for anything in my name, and I will do it." John 14:14

(This is where I started...and it was not overnight.)

A human Being
08-01-2015, 08:16 PM
The things that we want and then obtain are impermanent things which soon pass away again.
For me personally, I think that first I have to know what my heart truly desires; I think what obscures my heart's desire is fear, and this fear is what then generates my wants. So if I want to know what my heart truly desires, I have to transmute fear by simply allowing it to arise whenever it does so. And whatever it is my heart desires - it won't be something impermanent.

That's the current theory, anyway :D

luntrusreality
08-01-2015, 08:26 PM
For me personally, I think that first I have to know what my heart truly desires; I think what obscures my heart's desire is fear, and this fear is what then generates my wants. So if I want to know what my heart truly desires, I have to transmute fear by simply allowing it to arise whenever it does so. And whatever it is my heart desires - it won't be something impermanent.

If that is the current theory, you're right on track!

gracec09
11-01-2015, 03:57 AM
The way of letting go of all expectations is to be detached from the outcome. No attachment...no loss...no suffering.

We expect things and are disappointed when they don't come to pass. Be happy now and know that if something does not happen as expected that there is a higher good awaiting you.

Every experience is a blessing, but sometimes blessings come in unexpected ways : )

I think i resonate most with your answer because its a very simple and happy way to let go. I have a lot of trouble letting go.

Gem
11-01-2015, 05:10 AM

There's been some talk about desire recently which brings up some contradictions and people have quite complicated ways of skirting around it, but desire is feeling or an emotional state that both wants something that isn't current and doesn't want something that is current, for example, desiring a pure mind is also desiring the absence of impurities of the mind. Fear would be considered one such impurity in that context, but now you are saying just allow the fear to arise whenever it happens to do so, thereby having no desire that the fear will arise or go away (of course it will arise and go away regardless of if we want it to or not anyway), which means there is neither the want for the fear or the want for it to not be there.