PDA

View Full Version : Does Lord Shiva answer?

Mystical Warrior
29-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone
I was reared in a religion where we were directed to place our prayers of petition before God no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

Does one also place petitions before Shiva and Ganesha? I hear people mention "boons" which I figure are blessings from God, but do we ask, or just praise and in the praise, God will know our wants and hence answer if we are worthy?

In case this question seems trite, in some traditions I hear people frequently mention how God made "this or that" happen (as in divine intervention for healing, employment etc), but I seldom if ever hear it when talking God in Hindu dharma.

Peace

Vinayaka
29-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Generally the belief is that God will only help if the prayer is dharmic, and brings the aspirant closer to Him. So if it helps in a spiritual way, yes.

But yes, we Hindus petition the Gods, and often in very precise manners.

kris
29-10-2014, 07:50 PM
I think each and every person can decide for himself his own approach to devas such as Shiva and Ganesha. But we can always learn from those who are more advanced in such matters how they approach the devas.

Vinayaka
29-10-2014, 09:32 PM
I think each and every person can decide for himself his own approach to devas such as Shiva and Ganesha. But we can always learn from those who are more advanced in such matters how they approach the devas.

That is very true. There are guides, but the final decision is for the individual. Hence (I'm conjecturing) we have a multitude of approaches. As an example, for Saivas such a s myself, the term Siva is synonymous with God. He's not 'just another deva'. That's why one of his names is Mahadeva, or Chief God, roughly. But in all of Hinduism, that's just one school.

Hinduism is very individualistic, and whatever works for the individual, so be it.

Within most liturgies for puja, there exists several passages that translate as 'Salutations to all the devas present!' One of the mystical reasons we do pujas is to not only serve the devotees who attend, but also the inner beings. This is another reason why in agamic ritual, pujas are held on time. Just as a dog or cat gets accustomed to eating at a certain time, so too do the devas become accustomed to attending puja at a certain time.

Mystical Warrior
30-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Generally the belief is that God will only help if the prayer is dharmic, and brings the aspirant closer to Him. So if it helps in a spiritual way, yes.

But yes, we Hindus petition the Gods, and often in very precise manners.
Hello Vinayaka Thank you! Now that you mention it I seem to remember that as being factor i have heard previously.

So the expression "boon" is a bonus that was given despite the fact it was undeserved?

Vinayaka
30-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I have absolutely no idea what a boon is. Maybe its a sudden and quick answer to a prayer, and it comes in a more powerful way than normal. But you hear the word used in so many different ways.

Most devotees feel their prayers being answered is undeserved, because bhakti cultivates humility. I feel I have had many undeserved boons come my way ... meeting of a Guru, being lead back to Saivism, having been given the opportunity to help build a Hindu temple, 5 healthy children, etc.

Although you read about it in the Puranas and stories, I know of no individual today who goes searching for boons. They just happen.

Shivani Devi
30-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Namaste.

Shiva knows what is in our heart before we even pray. He knows what we are going to ask even before we do and He catches our tears as they fall.

If you'd like the academic answer, Lord Shiva is known as Ashutosha, or 'one who is easily pleased'. Our devotions and prayers to Him make Him happy and when He is happy, he's much more likely to make us comfortable and peaceful in life.

However, Lord Shiva's boons are more like a wish granted by a genie in that it becomes 'be careful what you wish for'.

Take the case of Bhasmasura. He prayed to Lord Shiva for countless years (it doesn't happen overnight) for the boon to burn people to ashes - a purely greedy petition/prayer.

After a while, Shiva was pleased with his prayers, gave him darshan and bestowed the boon.

As soon as that happened, Bhasmasura started burning everything to ashes, including trying it out on Lord Shiva Himself, who realised He had created a monster, but couldn't undo it because the boon also came with a condition that nobody else could ever kill Bhasmasura, so Lord Shiva went and sought the protection and advice of Lord Vishnu, who came up with a plan.

Disguised as a very beautiful and tempting seductress (Mohini), Lord Vishnu then approached Bhasmasura, leading him into a hypnotic, sexual and sensual dance - sort of like the dance version of 'Simon Says'...Bhasmasura was blissfully unaware of what was happening and during the dance, Mohini placed her hand on top of her head...Bhasmasura followed suit and immediately burned himself into a pile of ash.

Suffice to say, when Lord Shiva beheld Mohini and Her dance, He became infatuated as well...and that story is like the 'Mills and Boon' of the whole Shiva Purana. lol

So, Lord Shiva is pretty selective and careful about what boons he gives out now and to whom...but like Vinayaka said, he is grateful to Shiva for those things he has in life, without needing to ask for any more.

So am I, but the only thing I would ever want/ask is for Him to never let this love fade away again - never let me get caught up in materialism so much again that I forget Him.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka
30-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Namaste.

Shiva knows what is in our heart before we even pray. He knows what we are going to ask even before we do and He catches our tears as they fall.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Indeed. but we still should make requests. Things go smoother that way.

themyth
08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
What kind of requests can we make?
Do people who make selfish requests get boons?

Vinayaka
08-12-2015, 10:24 PM
What kind of requests can we make?
Do people who make selfish requests get boons?

A devotee cam make any request they wish to. There is nothing stopping them. However, the Gods are bound by dharma. So because of that, they couldn't answer selfish requests.

Things like 'clarity in making this decision in accordance with dharma' would be answered though, providing the petitioner made it through any existing veils.

ashwink
29-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Namaste.

If you'd like the academic answer, Lord Shiva is known as Ashutosha, or 'one who is easily pleased'. Our devotions and prayers to Him make Him happy and when He is happy, he's much more likely to make us comfortable and peaceful in life.

However, Lord Shiva's boons are more like a wish granted by a genie in that it becomes 'be careful what you wish for'.

Take the case of Bhasmasura. He prayed to Lord Shiva for countless years (it doesn't happen overnight) for the boon to burn people to ashes - a purely greedy petition/prayer.

After a while, Shiva was pleased with his prayers, gave him darshan and bestowed the boon.

As soon as that happened, Bhasmasura started burning everything to ashes, including trying it out on Lord Shiva Himself, who realised He had created a monster, but couldn't undo it because the boon also came with a condition that nobody else could ever kill Bhasmasura, so Lord Shiva went and sought the protection and advice of Lord Vishnu, who came up with a plan.

Disguised as a very beautiful and tempting seductress (Mohini), Lord Vishnu then approached Bhasmasura, leading him into a hypnotic, sexual and sensual dance - sort of like the dance version of 'Simon Says'...Bhasmasura was blissfully unaware of what was happening and during the dance, Mohini placed her hand on top of her head...Bhasmasura followed suit and immediately burned himself into a pile of ash.

Suffice to say, when Lord Shiva beheld Mohini and Her dance, He became infatuated as well...and that story is like the 'Mills and Boon' of the whole Shiva Purana. lol

So, Lord Shiva is pretty selective and careful about what boons he gives out now and to whom...but like Vinayaka said, he is grateful to Shiva for those things he has in life, without needing to ask for any more.

So am I, but the only thing I would ever want/ask is for Him to never let this love fade away again - never let me get caught up in materialism so much again that I forget Him.

Aum Namah Shivaya

It is simply belief. I have tried. He wont answer.

Shivani Devi
29-12-2015, 02:44 PM
It is simply belief. I have tried. He wont answer.Namaste.

It all depends on the question(s) asked and the faith (more than belief) and keeping an open heart and mind to receive the answer which may/not be what we, as mere mortals, ever expected. If unconditional love is there, it just keeps getting better.

Yeah, it sounds like a karmic cop-out, does it not?

However, if the question/plea is pure and comes from a 'good place' for benefit of the spirit, and the question keeps getting asked with unwavering devotion and surrender, over and over again, eventually Lord Shiva will get tired of hearing it because it disturbs His meditation and He'll come and tell you that Himself...then you can ask Him anything on the spot.

All I have ever asked is to always serve, love and to never let me forget this moment...I totally forget all the questions I ever had at that point though.

Aum Namah Shivaya