PDA

View Full Version : Campaign group - Re-introduction of the Lynx

norseman
12-10-2014, 08:42 AM
A group is campaigning for the lynx to be re-introduced in Scotland to cull the red deer which is getting out of control in terms of numbers and in terms of damage to saplings.
I would prefer the wolf but you can't have everything. It would be a start. :smile:

Morpheus
13-10-2014, 06:23 AM
Kind if strange.
You cannot eat a Lynx. Well you can, but...

Instead of allowing hunters to cull the deer, and in a more humane fashion, lets campaign to bring in some Cat which will chase them down, and rip them up.

Interesting.

norseman
13-10-2014, 07:55 AM
The lynx was deer's natural predator but with hunter's , it's just another bloodsport. :smile:

Tobi
13-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Men with shotguns are not capable of producing "trophic cascades" affecting the whole ecosystem, as animals are. Such effects are noticed in Yellowstone after the re-introduction of wolves. There's an interesting video here about it:

http://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q

Men with shotguns can only do certain things. Kill deer. The whole lifestyle of natural predators changes the environment restoring it to full health.

LPC
14-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Why the lynx first? According to this site (see http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2008/04/21/european-cats-part-iii) , the lynx disappeared in the 3rd. century AD in Scotland. The world has changed a lot since then!

Yet the wolf only disappeared in Scotland in the late 17th. century - much later, and therefore a better fit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_in_Great_Britain

Perhaps this lynx group has more clout than the wolf group? But I agree with you, norseman. The wolf should have priority.

Morpheus
14-10-2014, 06:51 PM
The lynx was deer's natural predator but with hunter's , it's just another bloodsport. :smile:

Or? Food...

Which has been ongoing for decades and decades, regarding legal registration.

As I understand it... Yellowstone, being a National Park, does not allow hunting!
Only recently have guns been permitted to be carried, for protection. If one has a license to carry, in concert with state laws.

Astro
14-10-2014, 07:06 PM
Sounds good to me.

Tobi
15-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Well Lynx are interesting Puddy-tats....but wolves have my vote -every time :D
Awooooo!

norseman
15-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Well Lynx are interesting Puddy-tats....but wolves have my vote -every time :D
Awooooo!

One step at a time, Tobi :D

LPC
15-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Why can't wolves be the first step, before the lynx, norseman?

knightofalbion
15-10-2014, 03:30 PM
I wonder who the deer would vote for?

Tobi
15-10-2014, 08:55 PM
That is an interesting thought, Knight.
When the deer over-graze and their numbers expand....is that meant to be? Are we not meant to interfere by re-introducing species that left in the past?

I don't know...

I am pretty sure the deer would vote to be left alone however....

Interestingly there are a lot of deer where I live. I have not seen a 'population explosion' though (i.e. thousands of deer all over the place, and bare swathes of land) Young trees are usually protected by the landowners, by fitting temporary covers on their trunks, which split and fall away when the trees have grown too tough for the deer to nibble.
In my area, this seems to work. And even in the copses, where no-one manages the land, trees and ground cover plants still flourish. Native wildlife to this area also seem to be doing okay.

LPC
16-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Votes for all deer, now! :icon_lol: :director: