PDA

View Full Version : How often do you meditate?

developing1
21-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone!

new member here although I've been reading the topics for quite some time!

was just wondering how often people on this site meditate?

I for one meditate every night, what about you?

best wishes

developing1:smile:

peteyzen
22-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Hi developing and welcome to the site.
Meditation is so important unfortunately I am sporadic, I`l meditate once or twice a day sometimes for 45 minutes at a time for several months. Then I have an ego rebellion and seem to just stop dead, sometimes for months at atime. Then when I spiral down low enough to realise I`m slipping I kick back into it again.
It is hard to be disciplined over a long period of time I find, how do you find things with your meditation?

eternity
22-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Hello Devloping,
Nice to hear from you and Petyezen.
I have been meditating for many years now and try to kkep doing so in waking state as well as formal meditation.So i guess you could say i do it most of the day.
It took a long long time to reach this state but well worth it.
Good to have you with us.
Light and grace.
Eternity.

developing1
22-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi developing and welcome to the site.
Meditation is so important unfortunately I am sporadic, I`l meditate once or twice a day sometimes for 45 minutes at a time for several months. Then I have an ego rebellion and seem to just stop dead, sometimes for months at atime. Then when I spiral down low enough to realise I`m slipping I kick back into it again.
It is hard to be disciplined over a long period of time I find, how do you find things with your meditation?

Hi peteyzen and eternity!

I meditate every night for about 15-20 mins, most of my meditations I see peoples faces who I've never seen before also get symbols and almost always seem to 'go off' somewhere like a beautiful garden that I've created for myself and sometimes visitors are there waiting for me!

also sometimes I don't get any of the above and just sit in silence and feel nice and refreshed afterwards!

Best wishes

developing1:smile:

bluespirit
22-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Well,funnily enough I was talking to a friend last night who is a medium. We were discussing meditation and she told me she never meditates but relies on music,believing it is better than meditation.
As long as one picks the right kind of music (soothing etc) it works better than meditation.

peteyzen
22-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I know where she is coming from blue spirit. I guess it depends what you want from your meditation, if it is just relaxing and uncoiling then the music listening is great as is sitting in silence and drifting off.
But (and this is just my experience) if you want to really challenge yourselftake alook at focused meditations such as vipassna or colour meditation. If you would like help with the simple technique just call me or pm

bluespirit
22-08-2006, 02:58 PM
That is kind of you,Peteyzen. I usually find I only have to drift off to sleep (like this afternoon lol) and I find myself with spirit. I am sure they wait until I'm snoring my head off then decided to visit!
Like today,dreamed of my step daughter. She passed over many years ago by her own hand but I believe I witnessed her actually 'crossing over' after all this time.

peteyzen
23-08-2006, 10:10 AM
That must have been a relief for you. God bless blue spirit

bluespirit
23-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Rather interesting dream,Petey. We were standing on a railway platform waiting for a train to go home. Suddenly she crossed over the railway line and joined a group of people on the other side!
Then turned and waved! Bless her.

daisy
23-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Well,funnily enough I was talking to a friend last night who is a medium. We were discussing meditation and she told me she never meditates but relies on music,believing it is better than meditation.
As long as one picks the right kind of music (soothing etc) it works better than meditation.

hmmm this struck a real chord with me my favourite rock music played as loud as possible seems to 'lift' me, clear any **** out of my head and i feel open wide spiritually and on a mega 'high':smile:

peteyzen
23-08-2006, 11:21 AM
lovely way of depicting the passing over wasnt it? Do you feel happeir now that you have seen this?

bluespirit
23-08-2006, 12:05 PM
There you are then,Daisy! I prefer the soothing kind,like a lullabye! :glasses2:

daisy
23-08-2006, 12:30 PM
lol i prefer the noise, loud as poss ha ha

bluespirit
23-08-2006, 02:05 PM
lovely way of depicting the passing over wasnt it? Do you feel happeir now that you have seen this?

I do,Petey,she was a lovely girl.

angela taylor
23-08-2006, 10:03 PM
(please excuse if i get this wrong but its the first time i have replied in a thread!!)

Hi,

I was introduced to meditation 2 years ago, and thought it was a great way to relax.

Last year however, i started getting really interested in, not only meditation, but also all things spiritual, due to experiances i have had.

I started meditating quite a lot, my spirit guide introduced himself, i found my 'happy place' a place where i can go to relax, destress, and sometimes heal my emotional state.

Unfortunately for the past couple of months things have been extremely hard in my everyday life and i am finding myself with less and less time to be able to devote to myself and my meditations, and am feeling run down by this.

Joining this forum is my first step to making 'me' time and becoming more open spiritually again.

What a long post to such a short question - i do apologise, but i feel a lot better for it!:smile:

biyu_wolf_77
23-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Hello Devloping,
Nice to hear from you and Petyezen.
I have been meditating for many years now and try to kkep doing so in waking state as well as formal meditation.So i guess you could say i do it most of the day.
It took a long long time to reach this state but well worth it.
Good to have you with us.
Light and grace.
Eternity.
waking mediataion?? that sounds intreastin (guess you copuld in away say i kinda do that im usially in a state whewre i can do what i usially can but its also easyier to acess my gifts too actually i get answers most instantally when i go into a more relaxation based stae slip in and out of it as i please)

Rsng5
24-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I have been TRYING (bad, I know) to meditate. I have been using guided meditation cds to help me visualize. I am frustrated. I can't get anywhere or feel anything, except the ocasional feeling of almost falling sleep. And to top it all up, I come out of the room craby.

I try to meditate for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Sometimes I just stop at the first hour because I don't see the point...

I took up meditation about 2 months ago. I was going to meditation classes, but everything is so subjective. We all are different and therefore, whatever you do as an individual is OK.

biyu_wolf_77
24-08-2006, 12:59 AM
I have been TRYING (bad, I know) to meditate. I have been using guided meditation cds to help me visualize. I am frustrated. I can't get anywhere or feel anything, except the ocasional feeling of almost falling sleep. And to top it all up, I come out of the room craby.

I try to meditate for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Sometimes I just stop at the first hour because I don't see the point...

I took up meditation about 2 months ago. I was going to meditation classes, but everything is so subjective. We all are different and therefore, whatever you do as an individual is OK.
try closing youre eyes and focusing on one thing let it fade and enjoy whats left

Rsng5
24-08-2006, 02:49 AM
try closing youre eyes and focusing on one thing let it fade and enjoy whats left

biyu,
What do you usually concentrate on?

biyu_wolf_77
24-08-2006, 03:43 AM
biyu,
What do you usually concentrate on?
in all reality nuthin im in this state most of the time where i have a mask on it to an extent helps me control my emotions get to use my abolities faster and better and yea i just relax

peteyzen
24-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Hi Rsng5
Firstly my friend might I suggest that you cut down your meditation. As a person who is new to meditation an hour at a time is a long haul. If you are getting frustrated and upset (which shows itself as irritation) then, with all due respect, you have not been taught to meditate properly.

Thats not your fault but an error by who ever has been teaching you my friend.

Also there are no short cuts in meditation, its the one place we cannot have the modern worlds `I want it now` attitude. The more you want something to happen the more frustrated you get the less you are actually meditating.
But if you are sitting down and focusing for an hour or more at a time, then you have determination, this is an enormously important factor. All you need to do is to do a real meditation and stop wanting. Its a hard thing for us these days, we can have what ever we want in the material world, but spiritual growth requires surrender and humility. Meditation teaches this. There are no quick fixes tho Rsng5.

Lets start with posture, find a chair (unless you are happier in half or full lotus position) with no arms. set up any music you want and incense again if you want it (its not necessary but sets the mood). what ever room you are in, go out of it and then go in again and as you enter bow and thank the room for letting you practice in it.

Go to the chair and bow to it again thanking it . then sit toward the front of the chair, don`t lean on the back..
Make sure your spine is straight, chin dropped slightly to bring the cervical vertebrae in line with the spine. Knees apart but heels touching (no shoes). then put your left hand in your right hand and let the thumbs touch, so they(the thumbs) are flat , not pointing upwards or downwards. Put your tongue to the roof of your mouth behind the front teeth and keep iot there for the duration of the meditation.
The hands sit above the lap a few inches above your belly button.
Close you eyes and you are ready to begin.

breathing in and out through the nose only, focus your mind at the nostrils and feel the flow of the air at the nostrils as it comes in and out of the nose. Don`t let the mind move from the nostrils. As you breathe, breathe in slowly, then hold for a couple of seconds and then breathe out slowly and hold again for a couple of seconds before breathing in. Thats one cycle, now just carry on focusing and breathing in and out doing more cycles.

Now comes the important stuff. If your mind moves away from the nostrils and breathing , for instance you get an itch, or think of going shopping or anything at all. Do not get mad, understand that you are learning a new skill, and see these thoughts as distractions , and as such a way of teaching you, so , in your mind thank the distraction, whatever it is, for helping you and then return your mind to the nostrils.
This could happen several times in a minute. The distraction could be a noise or anything but always treat it the same, thank it for teaching you and return to the meditation. Start for just ten - fifteen minutes but be resolute and relax try to smile but focus hard. When youve finished bow to the chair and bow and thank the room as you leave.
Try this and let me know how you get on. PM me if you wish
Hope thois helps my friend.

dreamer
24-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Some good tips here:

http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-3.htm