PDA

View Full Version : How to let go of our past/false selves?

Fleur de Frost
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
While cleaning out old photos/videos today, I noticed a huge disharmony between who I am now and who I used to be. So much of myself before was just my ego. Nothing else. I like who I'm becoming - I like how I'm beginning to align with my higher self. But now that I've reintroduced those memories and feelings back into my consciousness, there's a pull between my true self and the shell of my old self.

How can we shed all those memories of our false selves? I like this moment and I want to live here, not in the ghost of my ego. How can we truly break free from those chains?

Thank you for your time! love and light. <3

Swami Chihuahuananda
03-09-2014, 10:08 PM
While cleaning out old photos/videos today, I noticed a huge disharmony between who I am now and who I used to be. So much of myself before was just my ego. Nothing else. I like who I'm becoming - I like how I'm beginning to align with my higher self. But now that I've reintroduced those memories and feelings back into my consciousness, there's a pull between my true self and the shell of my old self.

How can we shed all those memories of our false selves? I like this moment and I want to live here, not in the ghost of my ego. How can we truly break free from those chains?

Try to allow yourself to be who/what you already are . Then just do it. Then just be it . Sounds easy, right ? :wink: . If it was, I guess a lot more people would be doing it :icon_eek: . But really , for me , to imagine my highest possibilities , and know that my highest imaginings are only part of the picture , and accept that this is my true reality/identity , and that my little self is just a window that I'm seeing this world and temporary life through... well, that tends to put things in a better perspective . I often remember a phrase we heard , 'ecstatic future self', but what does that even mean ?.
Let's expand, explore, and experiment , and see ... and allow ourselves to integrate into those infinite potentialities :D

Or something like that ...

Swami Chihuahuananda
03-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Another thing is : we're new in every moment. Each day is new , but also each moment is new , so we are new as we live in the now and time flows through us (or whatever it does :wink: ). Each new thought , each new perspective , or look back at our past, for instance , literally has a new self each time . The past is a story we build out of apparent events , but we are not ourselves the story, in this perspective .

Also, Spirit Guide Sparrow wrote something excellent a while back about 'letting go of your story' . That's worth hunting for ! :smile:

Arcturus
03-09-2014, 10:46 PM
The self has to see its own pointlessness for it to wither. The "how to get rid" just gives it life. you want rid of the false self but already you've invented something to take its place "the higher self"...sounds noble but really its born of fear of complete ending, of being nothing. Its not that i want to end, psychologically, or be nothing, or awaken even, just that i see my "self" as fear born and its continuance as unintelligent, thats all.

I don't want to end it or act on it in any way...thats desire and the action i make will just be another re-inforcement of the same game i was playing before, just slightly modified with added notions of purety and nobility, cos thats what feeds it. when you stop escaping into abstractions and ideals then whats left is the truth of your situation and it is that which frees,,,not attempting or trying to extricate yourself from your situation. we let go to accumulate something else.

Megamedes
03-09-2014, 10:47 PM

As long as they are part of you they are true to a part of you. Find that part and release it. In this try to stay clear of labels like true or false self and ego. I am not sure the butterfly sees the caterpillar as its false self :wink: See the picture for what it is, notice the way it distorts your self image. When you find the root then you can untangle it and let go of it.

For me it is all entangled in some emotional mess that needs to be untangled. As I release the emotions I make up for room to exist more freely. And I agree that it is far easier to say than perform. I have literally been a complete mess over the summer.

Molearner
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM

Fleur-de-Frost,

Such a good question ! We all know the value of letting go of our false selves but, sometimes, are hard pressed to give concrete ways of doing it. Actually in your posting, you demonstrated that you are using one method(cleaning out old photos/videos). This is a way of breaking attachments. Maybe we all need to have periodic spiritual garage sales. We clean out the old to make room for the new.

I have no idea of how old you are but I will say this: the older you get the more attachments you get to or have to break. These experiences can translate into your spiritual life. You come to the realization that life goes on.......and sometimes....usually......in a better way. Just think of the attachments that we break in life:

You leave your mother's womb
You leave home
You marry(sounds like an attachment....but you have to discard some of your ideas about marriage)
You divorce(this is a big one)
You fail in some of your goals(education, wealth, relationships)
You question your career choice
Your pride is damaged
etc. etc. etc.

Somehow you survive thru all these losses of attachments. In many cases, you realize that it was actually good for you. Perhaps you have gained a new measure of freedom......perhaps you re-evaluate and discover new meanings in life.

Others have said it; the past is history, the future is mystery, that is why we call the present a present.

seanssf
03-09-2014, 11:43 PM

I went through something similar a couple of days ago. I was having a complete clear out of my facebook, pictures, videos etc i actually had no problem with deleting everything that reminded myself of the old ego driven me. I try to delete everything i ever used to think and believe because it was all thoughts driven by ego so there is no need for it.

When i was looking at certain pictures with past friends i thought to myself, i can't actually believe i used to do or act in that way, did i actually even enjoy what i was doing at that time or was it just my ego taking over and making me enjoy it.

I used to drink and take drugs most weekends because the fear the ego was in control of me, now when i look back i think that was just an experience. Now i don't even think of drinking alcohol, taking drugs, don't even drink coffee, tea, fast food etc its like a detox in a way, i have new thoughts, i act differently, i see life in a totally different perspective now so any reminder of my past i just analyse it and make the decision i feel is right to do :smile:

All the best, love and peace :smile:

Ivy
04-09-2014, 05:51 AM

I'm not sure how you're relating to your self here - I'm just doubting that there was only an ego self and nothing more. Or in my view, there can't have been 'just an ego self' because you've always been spirit.

But maybe more importantly is allowing yourself to understand what the 'pull' is, and why it's there. This feeling is part of now, it isn't the past pulling you from a photograph, it is what exists within you. Don't be frightened of it, and let it take you to what you need to see within you.

Greenslade
04-09-2014, 07:02 AM
I noticed a huge disharmony between who I am now and who I used to be.
We change day-by-day but we can't run away from ourselves. Who you were then is always going to be a part of you because it led you to where you are now, it's who you needed to be at that time. But this is a different time. We don't walk in circles, we walk in spirals and we can never come back to the same place unless that's what we choose to think. But often as we walk the spiral we come back to the same spot but we're above that place now. If there's a pull between your true self and the shell of your old self then there's something there you need to take notice of, but don't panic and catch your breath. Perhaps this is simply a time of revision, when you can look back at who you were then from the perspective of who you are now and gain insight from that. There's nothing wrong with looking back to see how far you've come, some people need it and others don't. By looking at where you've come from and comparing it to where you are now you can realise the progress you've made.

God-Like
04-09-2014, 07:34 AM
How can we truly break free from those chains?

Hi Fleur-de-Frost

How does a selfish person become selfless . How does anyone break free from a particular way of thinking and being .

It takes something for the individual to recognise that being a certain way no longer serves you .

At a point the alcoholic gives up the drink because something happens one way or another .

Until then there is nothing one can do because the selfishness or the drink serves you .

So we can break free from certain patterns of being and at times such patterns can be likened to being imprisoned within ourselves but it's kinda ironic in a way where our binds or our chains experienced and acknowledged actually lead us beyond them ,

x daz x