PDA

View Full Version : The Spiritual Danger of Stereotyping

Molearner
27-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Hi all,

I have noticed on the Christian forum a significant number of contributors are vehemently anti-Christian. Their arguments seem to be dependent upon adapting a stereotype of Christians. Once this stereotype is adapted, then one can construct a philosophy based on this acceptance. Such a philosophy then is augmented with largely negative arguments.

Naturally this impulse to stereotype others is not confined to the arena of Christian vs. spiritual. It is an impulse that is apparent in society at large. Perhaps it represent a sub-conscious urge to make our world smaller and, hence, more manageable and understandable. Throughout history and current times there are very large segments that have been and are being stereotyped. Notably: Jews, Christians, Muslims, Sunnis, Shiites, blacks, whites, ethnic groups, Democrats, Republicans, male, female, rich, poor, intelligent, ignorant........the list is endless. Eventually in most political campaigns we can hear a weary public demand....."Tell me what you advocate" rather than "Tell me what you are against."

In specific reference to churches, it can be noticed that many churches sponsor such diverse groups as meditation, yoga, inter-faith dialogues, inter-cultural groups, etc. Isn't this a worthwhile practice ? To break down barriers instead of constructing and re-enforcing existent barriers ? I am suggesting that rather than embracing philosophies that are separatist in nature that, instead, we should embrace those that are inclusive.

It would be a breath of fresh air, IMO, if in these spiritual forums we could hear contributors speak of the benefits of meditation, prayer, practices of gratitude and forgiveness and understanding and the ways that these practices have changed them and have proven to be positive influences.
What do you think ?

durgaa
27-08-2014, 04:22 PM
It would be a breath of fresh air, IMO, if in these spiritual forums we could hear contributors speak of the benefits of meditation, prayer, practices of gratitude and forgiveness and understanding and the ways that these practices have changed them and have proven to be positive influences.

You'll be lucky if you can convince rhose right-wing evangelists of that. Take a look at some of their documentaries - usually totally biased, out-of-context and a complete distortion of the Truth. They see things like Meditation as a 'Pagan lnvasion' LOL. You can't help these people, they're too brainwashed by exoteric christianity. The only True Christians are the Gnostics like Daskalos in Cyprus etc..

Lokk at some of these films on youtube about Meditation.. to see what l mean.
Meditation: Pathway to Deception

http://youtu.be/fSnLUJ32ck4?list=PLB97CDDF917D7A6BF

Ivy
27-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Stereotyping a group of people is ignorant. Equally turning a blind eye when you are part of that group is ignorant. In fact, seeing groups rather than individuals is a bit like seeing the surface and never looking deeper.

But yes, it is nice to share threads about specific practises. On many of the forums on SF, people do just that.

Molearner
27-08-2014, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=durgaa]You'll be lucky if you can convince rhose right-wing evangelists of that. Take a look at some of their documentaries - usually totally biased, out-of-context and a complete distortion of the Truth. They see things like Meditation as a 'Pagan lnvasion' LOL. You can't help these people, they're too brainwashed by exoteric christianity. The only True Christians are the Gnostics like Daskalos in Cyprus etc..

QUOTE]

durgaa,

Presto ! As if on demand......lol.........a good example of stereotyping...:)

Internal Queries
27-08-2014, 05:57 PM
an ideological flag is created and raised and those who stand around it and in it's wavering shadow are identifying with the ideology the flag represents thereby inviting, often demanding, to be stereotyped.

if "they" want to be seen as individuals "they" need to stand away from the flag pole so i can see the difference, so i can see their individuality. if they're regurgitating the ideological lines as required by association w/ the collective the flag represents i'll see them, not as an individual, but as a megaphone for their collective.

Molearner
27-08-2014, 06:59 PM
an ideological flag is created and raised and those who stand around it and in it's wavering shadow are identifying with the ideology the flag represents thereby inviting, often demanding, to be stereotyped.

if "they" want to be seen as individuals "they" need to stand away from the flag pole so i can see the difference, so i can see their individuality. if they're regurgitating the ideological lines as required by association w/ the collective the flag represents i'll see them, not as an individual, but as a megaphone for their collective.

Internal Queries,

There is wisdom in what you say. I am reminded of John the Baptist declaring......"I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness." The 'wilderness' can be interpreted as the separation from the collective and even more so, the separation from one's ego. This seems to be fertile ground for the possibility of truth.

In his earlier response durgaa spoke of the 'distortion of truth'. Now I am not singling him out because we are all guilty of that. The problematic thing about this statement is the underlying assumption that the one who states that actually possesses the truth. 'The truth', generally speaking, represents a construct of the ego. Oftentimes it is our ego that defines what we believe to be the truth. It is from this standpoint that we have a tendency to judge others and conveniently resolve it by the use of stereotypes.

Internal Queries
27-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Oftentimes it is our ego that defines what we believe to be the truth. It is from this standpoint that we have a tendency to judge others and conveniently resolve it by the use of stereotypes.

if someone speaks from the platform of an ideological collective i'll believe that's what they desire to represent. i don't feel it behooves me to see them other than as they wish to be seen. and every form of refuge has it's price. if one takes refuge in a collective, enjoys the comforts of community and solidarity and feels empowered by the illusion of populace accuracy ("there are so many millions who believe as I do so blah") or the "might makes right" autonomy ("our god is mightier than your god") then the price one pays for the benefits of such a refuge is to be identified with that ideological collective and stereotyped accordingly.

i won't take responsibility for the fact that people stuff themselves into boxes onto which they slap a label. if someone is boxed up in dogma and their label says "one (1) fundamentalist/ fragile/ this end up" i'll believe the label.

durgaa
27-08-2014, 08:31 PM
The problematic thing about this statement is the underlying assumption that the one who states that actually possesses the truth. 'The truth', generally speaking, represents a construct of the ego

Yes, the 'ego' and Truth of Enlightened sages throughout history who have all condemned these type of people, because the truth of the masses is not based on Spiritual experience. And since your fond of biblical references, didn't Christ call them 'whited sepulchres' - so it would seem that He was stereotyping as well. l'd rather believe in the Truth of the Enlightened few than the falsehood you seem to believe in [whatever that is, because you seem very confused IMO]. Not every individual will think the same, obviously, but the vast majority who are involved a belief-system will believe the same things [there won't be much difference in ideology] - that's how brainwashing works. There are very few Conscious individuals out there and the vast majority are blind cattle following the herd.... So, in that respect they deserve to be stereotyped - just because we stereotype them it doesn't mean it isn't true - generally speaking, it is true. As IQ said 'i won't take responsibility for the fact that people stuff themselves into boxes onto which they slap a label. if their label says "one (1) fundamentalist/ fragile/ this end up" i'll believe the label.'.

Also, my reply was in connection with your original request - which you seem to have conveniently forgotten:

It would be a breath of fresh air, IMO, if in these spiritual forums we could hear contributors speak of the benefits of meditation

jonesboy
27-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Enlightened people don't judge, that is of the ego. If people are judging then you know not to listen to them.

Dwerg
27-08-2014, 09:27 PM
It always turns out bad when people are pigeonholed, it will never be correct either. It's just what negative people do, let them roll around until they realize how much time they've wasted talking to stones.

Molearner
27-08-2014, 10:49 PM
. l'd rather believe in the Truth of the Enlightened few than the falsehood you seem to believe in [whatever that is, because you seem very confused IMO].
Also, my reply was in connection with your original request - which you seem to have conveniently forgotten:

durgaa,

I surprise myself by replying. The confusion seems to be from your corner. You do not know what falsehood I believe in because you can not articulate what it is. You just simply know that is falsehood. That is a very strange argument....and, yes, I did reply. Also I was charitable when I spoke of your quote about distortions of truth and the underlying assumption behind such a statement saying that we all are/can be guilty of that.

Molearner
27-08-2014, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=Internal Queries] i don't feel it behooves me to see them other than as they wish to be seen.

Internal Queries,

Yes, this is the way of the world. We accept the facades that others hide behind or find comfort in. I am sure the majority of people have this same attitude. It is only the rare few or the enlightened ones that seek to find the real person behind the self-constructed facades. Perhaps when one is stranded on an island with a despicable person and realizes that survival is dependent on the contributions of each is when we realize that we must be our brother's keeper.

Swami Chihuahuananda
28-08-2014, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=durgaa]You'll be lucky if you can convince rhose right-wing evangelists of that. Take a look at some of their documentaries - usually totally biased, out-of-context and a complete distortion of the Truth. They see things like Meditation as a 'Pagan lnvasion' LOL. You can't help these people, they're too brainwashed by exoteric christianity. The only True Christians are the Gnostics like Daskalos in Cyprus etc..

QUOTE]

durgaa,

Presto ! As if on demand......lol.........a good example of stereotyping...:)

Sounded more like an observation of stereotyping by evengelicals to me , not stereotyping of them . From what I've seen, they aren't the most openminded and accepting of other modes of spirituality . :wink:

Molearner
28-08-2014, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=Molearner]

Sounded more like an observation of stereotyping by evengelicals to me , not stereotyping of them . From what I've seen, they aren't the most openminded and accepting of other modes of spirituality . :wink:

Dar,

It should be obvious that anyone can be inclined to stereotype others.....no one is excluded. Nevertheless, two wrongs never make a right. An eye for an eye is an OT mentality.........turning the cheek is a NT mentality.

Swami Chihuahuananda
28-08-2014, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=Dar]

Dar,

It should be obvious that anyone can be inclined to stereotype others.....no one is excluded. Nevertheless, two wrongs never make a right. An eye for an eye is an OT mentality.........turning the cheek is a NT mentality.

That's why I don't hang out in the Christian areas :wink: . I made a deal with Jesus : I don't bother his people and they don't bother me :wink:

Internal Queries
28-08-2014, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=Internal Queries] i don't feel it behooves me to see them other than as they wish to be seen.

Internal Queries,

Yes, this is the way of the world. We accept the facades that others hide behind or find comfort in. I am sure the majority of people have this same attitude. It is only the rare few or the enlightened ones that seek to find the real person behind the self-constructed facades. Perhaps when one is stranded on an island with a despicable person and realizes that survival is dependent on the contributions of each is when we realize that we must be our brother's keeper.

i accept what people project of themselves because that's what they want and who am i to deny them? it's their will be done. i can analyze and perhaps empathize as to why they've chosen whatever labeled box they've climbed into but it's not my job to pull them out of the box in which they've found security.

i guess you consider your self to be one of those "rare few or the enlightened ones" and so by comparing my attitude to yours you have stereotyped me as "unenlightened" by contrast. good job! you've boxed us both according to your ego needs. and of course the box you've constructed for your "enlightened" self is much nicer than the one you've constructed for me (and the "majority of people"). typical.

Molearner
28-08-2014, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=Molearner]

i accept what people project of themselves because that's what they want and who am i to deny them? it's their will be done. i can analyze and perhaps empathize as to why they've chosen whatever labeled box they've climbed into but it's not my job to pull them out of the box in which they've found security.

i guess you consider your self to be one of those "rare few or the enlightened ones" and so by comparing my attitude to yours you have stereotyped me as "unenlightened" by contrast. good job! you've boxed us both according to your ego needs. and of course the box you've constructed for your "enlightened" self is much nicer than the one you've constructed for me (and the "majority of people"). typical.

Internal Queries,

That is simply a defensive projection on your part. If you were to pay careful attention to what I said you would have noticed that I said "WE accept the facades of others....". The use of the word "we" is inclusive of myself. If I have stereotyped anyone it would be the "enlightened" ones amongst us. But my readings of spiritual matters has seemed to indicate that, indeed, enlightened people do have the ability to see beyond the facades that others exhibit. My intention is not as you assert "to box" in anyone but, rather, to make us realize the "boxes" of our own making. Actually I see over-sensitivity to dialogue as being an impediment on those pursuing spiritual growth.

Internal Queries
28-08-2014, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=Internal Queries]

Internal Queries,

That is simply a defensive projection on your part. If you were to pay careful attention to what I said you would have noticed that I said "WE accept the facades of others....". The use of the word "we" is inclusive of myself. If I have stereotyped anyone it would be the "enlightened" ones amongst us. But my readings of spiritual matters has seemed to indicate that, indeed, enlightened people do have the ability to see beyond the facades that others exhibit. My intention is not as you assert "to box" in anyone but, rather, to make us realize the "boxes" of our own making. Actually I see over-sensitivity to dialogue as being an impediment on those pursuing spiritual growth.

well i beg your pardon, molearner. since you chided me for being tolerant and accepting of people in their chosen boxes you seemed to be making comparisons in which you seemed to be including yourself in the company of those "rare few".

i wonder how you came to assume that i was unaware of the boxes folks put themselves in and that i can't see into them. i can see the individual as they sit inside their box and i might even detect why they're sitting in that particular box. i used to try to induce the individual who sits inside a dogma box to see outside of it but nowadays i merely accept that that is where they feel secure. my self constructed box is very basic and opened ended, no extraneous labels other than the ones that others need to slap on me for easy reference (hippy, heathen, hell bound sinner, tree hugger, feminazi and the like).

and um ... who is being over sensitive?

oh and just satisfy my curiosity ... whose sensitivity meter are we using to gauge when sensitivity has gone over the limit?

Molearner
28-08-2014, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Molearner]

well i beg your pardon, molearner. since you chided me for being tolerant and accepting of people in their chosen boxes you seemed to be making comparisons in which you seemed to be including yourself in the company of those "rare few".

i wonder how you came to assume that i was unaware of the boxes folks put themselves in and that i can't see into them. i can see that individuals are in their boxes and i might even detect why they're in those boxes. i'm merely accepting that that is where they feel secure and i'll accept their view worldview as it is from inside their box. my self constructed box is very basic and opened ended, no extraneous labels other than the ones that others need to slap on me for easy reference (hippy, heathen, sinner, feminazi and the like).

and um ... who is being over sensitive?

Internal Queries,

It is certainly not necessary for me to label you. You have labeled yourself as a "Master" so it is incumbent on all of us to hear any insights that you have. If anyone is uncomfortable with the thread title..."The Spiritual Danger of Stereotyping" they are welcome to argue the converse....i.e. "The Spiritual Benefit of Stereotyping".

Internal Queries
28-08-2014, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=Internal Queries]

Internal Queries,

It is certainly not necessary for me to label you. You have labeled yourself as a "Master" so it is incumbent on all of us to hear any insights that you have. If anyone is uncomfortable with the thread title..."The Spiritual Danger of Stereotyping" they are welcome to argue the converse....i.e. "The Spiritual Benefit of Stereotyping".

hahaha! i didn't label my self "master". this forum did. instead of having the forum assigned label of "experiencer" you'll be a "master" too when you've posted more posts. woops!

i'm not uncomfortable with this thread or it's title. are you uncomfortable with my presence on it?

each1teach1
28-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Lots of talk here about "Enlightened ones" People got to stop absorbing the new-agey material so much and taking it to heart. No need to worry about if you're enlightened or not, you won't be talking about it if that is your truth. You'll be teaching about it in an effective manner.

Staying on topic though, stereotypes come down to shallowness. Very similar flawed perceptions. People don't want to slow it down and think through the complexities. They're busy, they got things going on. Not everyone will be a philosopher. I accept stereotypes, I enjoy the comedy we can all take from it....it helps to slowly destroy them as well, when we can all see the ridiculousness of it.

Molearner
28-08-2014, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Molearner]

hahaha! i didn't label my self "master". this forum did. instead of having the forum assigned label of "experiencer" you'll be a "master" too when you've posted more posts. woops!

i'm not uncomfortable with this thread or it's title. are you uncomfortable with my presence on it?

Internal Queries,

I am quite pleased that you have contributed to this thread. When I pose a question on a thread I am not seeking confirmation of what I believe. I am seeking input from a broad spectrum to consider the input of others so that it might help to expand my understanding of anything that is in question. Your input has been valuable in helping me to understand how others view stereotyping and how they respond to it. Keep up the good work.....:)

Internal Queries
28-08-2014, 02:25 PM
i don't stereotype those who are not stereotypical. unique is unique. you know it when you encounter it because it's different, unusual, odd, a one of, not of a type ... you know ... not stereotypical.

and you're right. i am too busy w/ my own stuff to try to peer into every box i encounter and empathize with every individual complexity.

Miss Hepburn
28-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Enlightened people don't judge, that is of the ego.
If people are judging then you know not to listen to them.
Good one. :thumbsup:

Baile
29-08-2014, 06:57 AM
In specific reference to churches, it can be noticed that many churches sponsor such diverse groups as meditation, yoga, inter-faith dialogues, inter-cultural groups, etc. Isn't this a worthwhile practice ? To break down barriers instead of constructing and re-enforcing existent barriers ? I am suggesting that rather than embracing philosophies that are separatist in nature that, instead, we should embrace those that are inclusive.

What do you think ?A heart-felt observation and an honourable wish. But that's happening already. That's why there are various sub-forums here, so that people of similar faiths and beliefs can share with like-minded others in a positive, supportive space.

Baile
29-08-2014, 09:01 AM
durgaa,

Presto ! As if on demand......lol.........a good example of stereotyping...:)Avoiding stereotyping does not mean cutting off any and all relevant points of discussion just because it might be uncomfortable. Re durgaa's comment: The fact is, many/most conservative evangelists would not support the sort of open, supportive spiritual sharing you're proposing. Supporting others' expressions of belief is simply not something a fundamentalist, of any faith, is willing to do. Their faith IS their conviction and vice versa. This is why many fundamentalists are incapable of carrying on a simple, normal dialogue and exchange with others on forums like this one. Such individuals communicate by repeatedly posting Bible quotes as one example, that's all they're capable of.

The social danger of doctrine and dogma one might say. And pointing out dysfunctional behaviour of this sort is not stereotyping, it's getting to the heart of the matter as to what it is that prevents open, supportive sharing.

Lorelyen
29-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Difficult to answer. Some level of stereotyping is often necessary as a first conceptual step when encountering something or someone new.

To me, it's a kind of mental modelling and involves judgement because we never know exactly everything about everyone straight away and have to approximate based on what we think we know and our social preferences if an interaction is in the offing.

Regardless of individuality we recognise common traits in people/objects. They partly arise from social convention. If we care to zoom in on a person/object, stereotyping gives way to the particular. When someone claims to know an individual as an individual any residual stereotyping is down to the perceiver's preferences, prejudices and the nature of the relationship.

It's how humans are, how they cope with the novel, how what people loosely call 'society' works. It isn't a derogatory term to me.

Lucyan28
29-08-2014, 02:05 PM
The Spiritual Danger of Stereotyping

The real danger of stereotyping is to judge in a hateful way other group of people. I think this is an instinct reaction from our animal side, if we see it from a spiritual view, we'll see that the differences of all groups or ethnics are just a beautiful illusion.

We all have and share the same heart :)

Molearner
29-08-2014, 02:51 PM

The real danger of stereotyping is to judge in a hateful way other group of people. I think this is an instinct reaction from our animal side, if we see it from a spiritual view, we'll see that the differences of all groups or ethnics are just a beautiful illusion.

Lucyan28,

Thank you. This very simple answer of yours probably comes the closest to answering my original question. The element of judging in a hateful way expresses a genuine danger of stereotyping. I see it the same way......the introduction of hate must surely have a detrimental effect on our spiritual growth and it is difficult for me to conceive of hate as having a positive effect on our spiritual life.

As one notices from this thread, a significant number of responses have attempted to justify stereotyping in certain cases either arguing that those being stereotyped desire to be classified in that way or that it makes the life of the one that stereotypes much simpler. Of course I would argue that even if one wants to be stereotyped it does not imply that we should be ethically neutral. That would represent a sickness which we cannot ethically ignore...........just as we should not ignore a heroin addict by simply saying that is his own choice. This amounts to a misconception of freedom implying that we are willing to allow others to self-destruct.

One other danger of attempting to justify stereotyping is that by doing so we must intellectually accept that we must allow others to stereotype us. For most of us, proud in our independence, this is abhorrent.

Gem
29-08-2014, 03:35 PM
It's completely embedded into a person's world view, so all the education, upbringing, media, religion and all that is formative of that view also forms stereotypical representations of social groups one is not familiar with. Those groups are sometimes elated to some form of excellence and sometimes they're depreciated. People are susceptible to their own social position changing their view of other social subgroups, and that's been shown repeatedly in different studies including the Stanford Prison Experiment (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prisonexp.org%2F), Brown Eyes/Blue Eyes (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.janeelliott.com%2F ), This study, Berkley. (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pbs.org%2Fnewshour %2Fbb%2Fbusiness-jan-june13-makingsense_06-21%2F)

Internal Queries
29-08-2014, 03:46 PM
One other danger of attempting to justify stereotyping is that by doing so we must intellectually accept that we must allow others to stereotype us. For most of us, proud in our independence, this is abhorrent.

i don't understand what needs to be "justified" in the tolerant acceptance of other peoples' self view. i don't need to "justify" anything and maybe that's because i don't care or mind when a person sitting their stereotypical box stereotypes me. my pride doesn't get injured nor is my independence threatened when i'm stereotyped since the inaccurate presumptions of those who don't know me don't affect me. i expect and accept that i won't be understood by those who live in dogma boxes.

TaoSandwich
29-08-2014, 03:53 PM
i don't stereotype those who are not stereotypical. unique is unique. you know it when you encounter it because it's different, unusual, odd, a one of, not of a type ... you know ... not stereotypical.

and you're right. i am too busy w/ my own stuff to try to peer into every box i encounter and empathize with every individual complexity.

Internal Queries,

I think you'll find upon further examination that, aside from being basically human and having some degree of cultural/religious indoctrination, NO ONE is a stereotype. It is true that many haven't been able to break the bonds of their environment, but those very same people are also not wholly determined as a person by that environment and are more "their own person" than their religion, culture, etc.

Living life without stereotyping at all (at least, not consciously) is not as big of an effort as many might think. I live very close to this state daily and even when it isn't natural, when I notice myself stereotyping, I am disgusted with myself. Just think of your story and how individual you are, but remember a time when someone assumed something about you because of your spiritual practice, because you are from the US/UK, etc. Even though you didn't seem like an individual to those people, I bet YOU consider yourself individual, different and unique. That is what we are doing whenever we stereotype. Even if we believe the other isn't noticeably unique and different, isn't this letting our flawed mind get in the way of respecting and connecting with someone else's spirit?

Best Wishes,
-TaoSandwich

Molearner
29-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Lucyan28,

Thanks again for your posting. It led to an additional thought. If there is such a thing as "loving stereotyping" it can also be dangerous. I think of how many people are shocked by divorces of friends, relatives and also by suicides of ones close to them. Stereotyping is simply a way of putting on blinders.

Internal Queries
29-08-2014, 04:13 PM
there is no big effort is simply accepting people as they see themselves and who and what they are to themselves inside their dogma boxes is none of my business. whatever goes on in those boxes is between the individual self and their "God" concept. i respect their boundaries, their privacy and their right to be in whatever self concept box (whether unique of stereotypical) makes them feel secure.

i even accept the self concept boxes of high holy spiritual people who imagine that they understand me enough to wag a judgement finger at my tolerant attitude. lol

samsara4
29-08-2014, 04:22 PM

What do you think ?

I agree completely.

Whenever I speak to people from other faiths, I always focus on the things that are positive about their path and encourage them in the path that they have chosen. One can learn something positive from any tradition and it's good to share.

Regarding practices which don't appeal to me personally, I remain silent or (if pressed) tactfully say that all paths lead to the Divine in one way or another.

"Judge not lest ye be judged".

I love your suggestion.

Lucyan28
01-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Even if we believe the other isn't noticeably unique and different, isn't this letting our flawed mind get in the way of respecting and connecting with someone else's spirit?

Best Wishes,
-TaoSandwich

I loved this post from TaoSandwich (I love your nick also)

Always keep in mind that everyone is unique and different and we will avoid to stereotype others.

Lucyan28
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Lucyan28,

Thanks again for your posting. It led to an additional thought. If there is such a thing as "loving stereotyping" it can also be dangerous. I think of how many people are shocked by divorces of friends, relatives and also by suicides of ones close to them. Stereotyping is simply a way of putting on blinders.

Hi Molearner :hug2:

You are right, we should avoid to stereotype others, it leads to bad things at the end. Stereotyping could lead to discrimination, discrimination could lead to intolerance and intolerance could lead to war and killing.

Molearner
01-09-2014, 01:51 PM
This topic has just about played out and, once again, I thank everyone for their insights. One further thought; I would suggest that stereotyping could be considered as an exercise in strengthening our ego......something that enables us to better separate ourselves from others. This, of course, is the opposite intention of most spiritual paths.