PDA

View Full Version : Other peoples experiance with Tai Chi?

Dezmax
14-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Good morning!

I am looking to start Tai Chi as a form of self learning and meditation so i can connect with myself more (If that makes sense) and also as a stress relief.

Is Tai Chi the right way to do the above? Or should i be doing somthing else. Can it compliment other forms of meditation and cleansing?

Also I'd like to hear others experiences with Tai Chi so i can understand the practice a bit more :D

Good wishes to all

Dez

Ivy
14-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Absolutely, it is a form of self-learning, meditation and relaxation.

From what I can gather from others, there are two types of teachers, there are those that focus on teaching the physical form and gradually introduce the philosophies underlying it, and then there are teachers that teach the philosophies as they introduce the form.

My experience is of the latter style of teaching, and I find it wonderful. Others may prefer focusing on the form. But it's good to be aware that there are different styles of teaching, and if you try one class and don't like it, don't let it put you off trying again with a different teacher.

Dezmax
14-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Ivy! really helpful information.

Is there anyway of teaching it to yourself using things like online videos and books? or is it always recommended to go to a proper class?

Arcturus
14-08-2014, 07:42 PM
couldn't see if you were uk dezmax but if so theres a "taichi finder" website which locates classses near you. Yang and chen style are the most well known i think...id probably go for chen style. classs is definitely recommended. you will heal and advance more due to the energy share and generally the teachers dose you up with some chi. can be done at home though. id tried a few vids and this was the easiest to follow and understand...taichi doesn't really lend itself to vids due to the fact everything is opposite but erle gets round this quite well. the first third of the yand cheng fu form:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NdsyK8zPE&list=PL5DD6B2748EC7DB8E

Ivy
15-08-2014, 07:46 AM
I tried it at home for a while - it was ok, but until you learn a routine, you can't actually switch your focus to the body (which is all part of the tai-chi experience) because you're focussing on the guy on the TV.

Once you've been to a tai-chi class and begun to understand it, then it is very simple to practise at home. But still enjoyable in a group because of that sharing.

Dezmax
15-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the replies folks!

Vecta i am indeed from the UK so i will check that out thanks! And i will have a little look at the video as it might be something to get me started!.

Thanks again Ivy, i'll certainly look at what's available around my area as i'd like to do a class of some sorts to meet some new people as well!

Miss Hepburn
16-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Those DVDs are great...funny but if you find them at Goodwill for
$3 they are
always so new looking as if no one ever used them!! :tongue:
Always makes me laugh....but an action DVD is all scratched!

Yes, it takes time to learn the routine...same with any yoga, or Hip
Hop Abs DVDs...but it is worth it afterwards!

You will love Tai Chi.