PDA

View Full Version : Stages of Spiritual Development

NewtotheLife
08-08-2014, 09:12 PM
When I started meditating I would immediately see purple swirls etc...lately I don't see the purple swirls, I see white and black swirls with them forming head and shoulders and then swirl around again.

I was telling a friend and he said I've moved up, like leaving kindergarten.

So it has prompted me to come here and ask:

Are there stages to spiritual development? if yes, what may they be?
can someone skip a stage?

Ivy
08-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Having just been discussing something very similar re advancement, it might be worth checking out this thread: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72107

People believe different things. To me, there are stages throughout life. But the linear progression of step 1 - step 10 is what happens humanly, but it isn't replicated in spirit.

In spiritual development, we might take an insight from kindergarten and an insight from university in the same breath. So it's more like we go, step 3, step 8, step 10, step 2, step 1, step 6, step 5, step 7, step 4, step 0... or any other random order of our choice :)

NewtotheLife
08-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Having just been discussing something very similar re advancement, it might be worth checking out this thread: http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72107

People believe different things. To me, there are stages throughout life. But the linear progression of step 1 - step 10 is what happens humanly, but it isn't replicated in spirit.

In spiritual development, we might take an insight from kindergarten and an insight from university in the same breath. So it's more like we go, step 3, step 8, step 10, step 2, step 1, step 6, step 5, step 7, step 4, step 0... or any other random order of our choice :)

Thanks Ivy! I didn't even view it as human vs spirit. I will read the thread link.

Dwerg
08-08-2014, 11:55 PM
I used to see my life in terms of past, current and next stage. Then I started with spiritual/self development, and now it all kinda just blurs into a continuous stream. One moment flows into the next etc. There's no more stages, it just goes on forever.

I think there might be a transition stage though where those firm lines just breaks down, and within that transition it's a roller coaster. Jumping up and down, back and forth until it all just gathers as a huge mess and then taking that mess and throwing it out for a better life.

So if you can skip stages? Well, I don't know how to define the stages and I don't know if there really are stages at all. Someone else might have a different experience, and it might be the same just described differently.

wstein
09-08-2014, 12:00 AM
can someone skip a stage? Each person's stages are unique. They also can occur in different orders. Some people already embody spiritual aspects that others will need to 'learn'. As such one might consider that 'skipping' a step but that is not really a valid way to look at it.

Generally most Earth based beings progress from an individualistic separated view of reality towards an inclusive all connected view. One can draw lines in the sand an call them 'stages' but it is more or less continuous series of revelations.

Swami Chihuahuananda
09-08-2014, 12:12 AM
From one angle development and stages do exist ; that's a perspective within the context of an individual being born here completely unaware of
Spirit/God/higher self/other names , and moving through varying phases of
evolving self-awareness .

From another angle , higher aspects of self manifest and operate more and more as a person lives in self-awareness . Old programs and ideas fall away and new ones form. Thought patterns change, perceptions and insights mutate and elaborate as more alignment with higher aspects is realized.

From another angle, nothing is happening at all . Life blinks in and out in the cosmic blink of an eye . Aware, not aware ,who cares? People, planets, universes come and go endlessly . Nothing is real ; nothing matters . All manifested things are impermanent . Nothing can be said that is of any eternal significance . :D

So, my answer to the OP is 'depends' :smile:

Dwerg
09-08-2014, 04:32 AM
From one angle development and stages do exist ; that's a perspective within the context of an individual being born here completely unaware of
Spirit/God/higher self/other names , and moving through varying phases of
evolving self-awareness .

I would argue that you're wiser when you were born than after having your head stuffed full of fancy abstract words and told to believe it. I guess fancy words are unavoidable though, just look at this mess :tongue:

Robinski78
09-08-2014, 05:35 AM
I'm in step with those who advocate moving up the ladder of growth in a variety of ways (some having expressed their reasoning's numerically) according to that required for the accomplishment of reason(s) and purpose(s)...

Those too can change as or if we complete one or more elements of a life plan or agreement: thus moving to higher levels of understanding, for more complex or in-depth contributions towards the enrichment of mankind's evolution...

No one really knows what its all about... We can only hypothesize and maybe ~ if we are lucky ~ live to tell the tale....

Gem
09-08-2014, 05:45 AM
When I started meditating I would immediately see purple swirls etc...lately I don't see the purple swirls, I see white and black swirls with them forming head and shoulders and then swirl around again.

I was telling a friend and he said I've moved up, like leaving kindergarten.

So it has prompted me to come here and ask:

can someone skip a stage?

There's like levels, and that's a process, yet it's not a personal process as we'd usually think of one... though it doesn't matter all that much because the 'real you' is just you as you are now.

Lorelyen
09-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Some Orders deliberately set progress out in stages (about which I'm in two minds). That does have the advantage of making sure progress is consistent and solid according to the doctrinaire of said Order. What it fails to allow is the "your path is always your own" option, so if you happen to make discoveries or choose to pursue avenues extra curriculum, you're on your own anyway.

I look back on my own "work" as being a continuum but with milestones and signposts along the way.

Swami Chihuahuananda
09-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I would argue that you're wiser when you were born than after having your head stuffed full of fancy abstract words and told to believe it. I guess fancy words are unavoidable though, just look at this mess :tongue:
Mess ?... I think that what you just wrote is pretty clear ; not too fancy at all :tongue:

no1wakesup
09-08-2014, 02:33 PM
The ladder of growth; steps or stages to enlightenment and the dramatic self importance of the path are all like unwrapping presents for a mind made Santa Claus. The journey is a mirage because the destination is already here. You have nothing to get to or arrive at. When you are at the precipice of separation looking upon the valley of oneness there is just one primary source which reveals itself. That's it. You can say there are stages at that juncture as well but that's like believing that a flower has stages to the blossom. How we see it is for our own personal meaning and sense of purpose. Which is how we see the world....it has to mean something personal to us. Life without the human intellect would have no stages or drama.

Dwerg
09-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Mess ?... I think that what you just wrote is pretty clear ; not too fancy at all :tongue:
I've got a tendency to be ironic, haha.

jonesboy
09-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Stages along the path are known.
Taken from HERE (http:// http://community.livingunbound.net/index.php/topic/340-stages-of-spiritual-progression-using-bhumi-and-related-practices/#entry1424)

To start this thread off, it seems to be important to define the various stages. Since there has some been some interest in comparing Buddhahood to the realization of other traditions, I have included the classic definition of the 10 bhumis as the later part of the stages (these can be mapped to descriptions of "oneness").

Here we go...

1 Normal State – Wandering mind. Some will often have 3-6 (or more) threads/dialogs of thought jumping around. Nothing is usually noticed regarding “energy”. Sometimes sense of hot/cold.

2 Temporary One Thread – In meditation, one quiets to one focused thread (as in mantra or concentration). At this state, one may begin to notice energy (if looking for it) and it often begin to feel like tingles or vibrations in the body.

3 Temporary quiet mind – One can begin to see/trace thoughts. Can feel the “movement” of energy and notice chakras.

4 Stable quiet meditation – One can perceive the nature/energy of mind. Can perceive astral experiences. Begin to notice “obstructions” in the flow of energy. Feel/see chakras in energy body. With practice, can begin to see auras.

5 Expansion of quiet mind to normal life – One begins to “see themselves” doing things. An example is seeing yourself getting angry, but can’t stop yourself. Significant control over energy flows. Become more resistant to sickness.

6 Quiet mind in life – Usually only one thread going, sometimes no threads. Can see and stop yourself from getting angry. All chakras open. The chakras start to “merge”. Less distinct chakra feeling. Can consciously perceive energy in others and surroundings.

7 Calm mind – No real thoughts unless there is something to do/decide. Meditation and life are the same. Body/mind energy field integrates and collapses. No meaningful energy feeling. Often described as nothingness or perceiving "consciousness/awareness". Many stop here and declare victory.

8 Noticing Oneness – Something “tickles” the calm mind. Curiosity returns. Begin to break beyond the local body-mind. Begin to perceive “light” (spiritual/cosmic/existence) energy. Energy body feels like every cell is vibrating in harmony. Level of "soul", in Christian/Islamic terms. Also, called the first bhumi 1. Great Joy: It is said that being close to enlightenment and seeing the benefit for all sentient beings, one achieves great joy, hence the name. In this bhūmi the bodhisattvas practice all perfections (pāramitās), but especially emphasizing generosity (dāna).

9 (2. Stainless): In accomplishing the second bhūmi, the bodhisattva is free from the stains of immorality, therefore, this bhūmi is named "stainless". The emphasized perfection is moral discipline (śīla).

10 (3. Luminous): The third bhūmi is named "luminous", because, for a bodhisattva who accomplishes this bhūmi, the light of Dharma is said to radiate for others from the bodhisattva. The emphasized perfection is patience (kṣānti).

11 (4. Radiant): This bhūmi is called "radiant", because it is said to be like a radiating light that fully burns that which opposes enlightenment. The emphasized perfection is vigor (vīrya).

12 (5. Very difficult to train): Bodhisattvas who attain this bhūmi strive to help sentient beings attain maturity, and do not become emotionally involved when such beings respond negatively, both of which are difficult to do. The emphasized perfection is meditative concentration (dhyāna).

13 (6. Obviously Transcendent): By depending on the perfection of wisdom, [the bodhisattva] does not abide in either saṃsāra or nirvāṇa, so this state is "obviously transcendent". The emphasized perfection is wisdom (prajñā).

14 (7. Gone afar): Particular emphasis is on the perfection of skillful means (upāya), to help others.

15 (8. Immovable): The emphasized virtue is aspiration. This, the "immovable" bhūmi, is the bhūmi at which one becomes able to choose his place of rebirth.

16 (9. Good Discriminating Wisdom): The emphasized virtue is power.

17 (10. Cloud of Dharma): The e

Miss Hepburn
09-08-2014, 06:57 PM
In spiritual development, we might take an insight from kindergarten and an insight from university in the same breath.
So it's more like we go, step 3, step 8, step 10, step 2, step 1, step 6, step 5, step 7, step 4, step 0... or any other
random order of our choice :)
Excellent way to put that.
:smile:

Swami Chihuahuananda
09-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I've got a tendency to be ironic, haha.

I'm an perennial smartypants . One of the more underrated , but refined, stages of spiritual development :wink: