PDA

View Full Version : How do I end a friendship with someone worth out creating bad karma?

DivineFeminine
02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Is it an easy as ignoring them and cutting off all contact with them? I have a small list of friends I simply have no need for in my life. I want to make my circle smaller. How do I end a friendship with out experiencing bad karma in the future from hurting their feelings.

I recently lost a friend, she simply stopped answering my calls and texts and cut off all contact with me. I perceive that as the friendship being over and I'm okay with that! I was upset for a day, and then I got over it! I moved on quickly. I'm at peace with not being friends anymore.

How do I end a friendship without experiencing bad karma in the future?

candelight
03-08-2014, 05:50 PM
say in your mind to them " Good bye" I wish you the best of luck and happiness in life.
end of message.

no bad karma.

Adrienne
03-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Nice suggestion candlelight :smile:

Miss Hepburn
03-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes, wish them the best always...then as I always say...
"Oh, their serving Martini's on the other side of the pool,
I think I'll swim over, Ta-ta."
Then, you just get caught up and never swim back.
No harm.
You were ok when dropped ...they may be, also.

candelight
03-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Yes, wish them the best always...then as I always say...
"Oh, their serving Martini's on the other side of the pool,
I think I'll swim over, Ta-ta."
Then, you just get caught up and never swim back.
No harm.
You were ok when dropped ...they may be, also.

haha! martinis. :D

froebellian
03-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Friendships come and go and people will drift away gradually. There is no bad karma in moving along your path and letting others follow theirs. That is inevitable.

Fairyana
04-08-2014, 12:03 PM
There is no bad karma in ending friendships. It happens, it's okay because we don't have that connection anymore nor the same interests... I personally would prefer to answer the calls, but politely decline any invitation and not engage too much in conversations and have it die out slowly. I believe it could be bad karma if you do it in a hurtful way.

ajay00
11-02-2015, 10:34 AM
I believe it could be bad karma if you do it in a hurtful way.

Yes, this is true. It can be bad karma if you do it with a sadistic reactive attitude.

If you can end the friendship, sincerely wishing your friend the best, it will not generate bad karma or a bad conscience.

On the other hand, if you continue being in a negative relationship knowing it is harmful, it can generate bad karma as well.

RupertS
05-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Relationships are eternal. Something like "ending a friendship" is an illusion and doesn't exist. But you can simply turn your attention away from something. Just as a gardener who has to water the plants he wants to be growing, you are nurturing any relationship that receives your attention. If you put your attention away from a relationship, it will leave your life experience. But that doesn't mean it is dead. On a vibrational level it is still there, in limbo so to speak.
Of course you cannot turn your attention away from something by thinking of it. Just put your attention on the relationships that have meaning to you. The other ones will slowly disappear from your life experience.
As to answering your question: if you attach the emotion of guilt to this process, you will exactly reap that - guilt and having committed a "crime".
If you attach peace and loving departure to that, there will be happiness for everyone in this experience.

Rah nam
05-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Is it an easy as ignoring them and cutting off all contact with them? I have a small list of friends I simply have no need for in my life. I want to make my circle smaller. How do I end a friendship with out experiencing bad karma in the future from hurting their feelings.

I recently lost a friend, she simply stopped answering my calls and texts and cut off all contact with me. I perceive that as the friendship being over and I'm okay with that! I was upset for a day, and then I got over it! I moved on quickly. I'm at peace with not being friends anymore.

How do I end a friendship without experiencing bad karma in the future?

there is no bad karma only karma. it registers that is all. If you are in harmony with yourself and all parts of yourself that is what is registered.
If you end a relationship, how do you feel about it? This is what counts.
Not what the other person feels. Dissolve all energy ties and all is fine.
A great indicator is, if you picture the other person, how do you feel about them?

questionexist-ing
16-03-2015, 01:26 AM
I think as long as you wish them well and that you make sure that they know that this has nothing to do with them doing anything wrong, you will avoid the negative karma:)

Uma
16-03-2015, 01:39 AM
I don't think there is such a thing as "good" karma or "bad" karma really because either way it's about attachment and the idea of breaking yourself free from karma is about both parties not being attached - keeping your equilibrium and perspective because as you get older you'll find that the same kinds of people keep coming into your life if you haven't dealt with the underlying issue that's keeping you stuck in a pattern of behaviour or attitudes.

But for casual friends Hypocrates' oath "first do no harm" is probably a good rule of thumb.

Miss Hepburn
16-03-2015, 03:21 AM
Sometimes our lessons are actually to 'man up' and not be door mats
and gently shove their boat off...no harm...just taking care of yourself.
If we are being dragged down by anything, gossip, negativity, their constant uninteresting
trivia...whatever....it can take you away from your goals.

Just another perspective...just never hurt them deliberately ---
which it seems you know. :smile:

wstein
16-03-2015, 05:34 AM
How do I end a friendship without experiencing bad karma in the future? Option 1 (quicker): Be sincere and kind. Let them know your intentions rather than just leave them hanging and things between you open ended. Don't go into too many details and don't rehash the past. Make some effort to avoid a poor time to tell them (there is seldom a good time to tell people bad news).

Option 2 (way more extensive solution): Opt out of Karma. It's optional. You signed up voluntarily and you can opt out at any time.

revolver
16-03-2015, 05:50 AM
You end it by being honest, love is as much a letting go as it is, staying in a relationship, staying in a relationship just to please the other is what would cause so called karma. If the others gets upset, then that's for them to work out, that is their own karma, not yours.

Spiritrebel
17-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I think of Karma as a natural law like the law of gravity.

Isn't "You reap what you sow" or "What goes around comes around" in the same class with, "If you drop something, it falls"?

So IMO, the question to ask in a situation like the one described in the OP are things like:

Which will do me the most good over both the short haul and the long haul: continuing the relationship or breaking it off?

If I continue the relationship, what can I do to maximize the good and minimize the harm it's doing to both parties?

If I break off the relationship, how can I minimize the trauma for everyone involved?

starling
18-03-2015, 02:34 AM
When someone ended a friendship with me she kept the messages brief and didn't sign her name.

I would reply to the messages just saying you have family commitments else where, you are really, really busy.

Strangely I was recounting few hours ago how I did not keep in touch with a college colleague. I chose not to, I didn't encourage contact. I can't explain now, 20 years later, why not.

As my Dad says, some friendships flourish, some wither and die. (I guess you can't keep them all.)

peteyzen
18-03-2015, 11:47 AM
`Friendship` implies a mutually beneficial relationship. If that is not the case then I would presume these are not friends, but aquaintances.
the way I see it is, If I can help folks just by being friendly and kind and they actually want my company then thats great. I know people who have hundreds of friends and find time to be a friend to them all.
I suppose I am saying, maybe these freinds, if thats what they are, are in your life for a reason. If they are people you no longer like or want around, that is different, but be careful, everyone you know and who wants to know you and actually likes you well, thats a special thing and should not be hastily discarded.

Failing that and if you really want to get rid of them, tell them your born again and would love them to accompany you to your church !

MelanieJay
02-07-2015, 04:08 PM
If you do not want to associate with someone anymore you need to just explain that to them if they ask. It is hard, i know but that would be better than ignoring them keeping them wondering. I can't tell you what to say though. It has to come from your heart. You are not being selfish. No one is forcing you to stay friends. You need to focus on bettering yourself but without being ugly about it.