PDA

View Full Version : Paganism & The Meaning Of Life

Honza
30-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Because Paganism is so varied the answer to this question will vary too. However I am curious as to how you folks see this. What would you say is the Pagan meaning of life? I'm trying to look beyond the main religions into how life is/was perceived by the Pagans.

norseman
30-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Simply, freedom from dogma and priests !

Honza
30-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Simply, freedom from dogma and priests !

That is a reactionary feeling to oppression. But if you were free to go your own way.....what would be the meaning to your life?

OftheSun
01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
The meaning of life is to process matter and energy.

I'm a Pantheist and that is basically what the purpose of life boils down to, as far as the big picture goes. Some think that's a cold sad thing, but when I look around me, being part of this process is pretty amazing, not cold or impersonal or sad. I'm serving the same purpose as the stars, trees, oceans, earthworms. I am neither more nor less. I love that!

I am part of the great cooperative even that is the Universe. Along the way I get to experience and enjoy and participate. It feels good to be a positive part of humanity, so I do that as well, but truly I don't think it matters to the Universe, but it matters to people, and people matter to me.

Naddread
02-08-2014, 01:26 AM
The meaning of life is to find the meaning in life.

~Naddread~

Jenny Crow
02-08-2014, 03:38 AM
To live, love and learn. To live life to the fullest, to learn to keep in tune with Nature, build a relationship with deity:smile:

norseman
02-08-2014, 07:44 AM
That is a reactionary feeling to oppression. But if you were free to go your own way.....what would be the meaning to your life?

Helping to preserve the planet and all life; hoping to restore a little of what has been lost/threatened. I place no special priority on Mankind. :smile:

danieltalis
04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
The meaning of life is to find the meaning in life.
~Naddread~

I tend to agree and meaning comes with 'consciousness'.

GOLLY GEE
04-08-2014, 07:53 PM
a definition per goodling is paganism is something that is polytheisitic..
not one creator and god

Xiomara
16-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Being a bearer of feedom,light and true love

Mind's Eye
16-08-2014, 04:49 PM
To live, love and enjoy this life we have. But also to evolve and grow spiritually and reach higher realms once we leave this world. The biggest challenge is, in my opinion: To enjoy the world of matter, yet rise above it and know that it is just a temporary illusion.

Great 2 posts in Paganism Honza... enjoyed them both!!!!

samsara4
21-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Because Paganism is so varied the answer to this question will vary too. However I am curious as to how you folks see this. What would you say is the Pagan meaning of life? I'm trying to look beyond the main religions into how life is/was perceived by the Pagans.

Good question.

I too am NOT particularly familiar with paganism. However, after reading this thread, I'm still not sure what "paganism" really is.

samsara4
21-09-2014, 01:49 PM
a definition per goodling is paganism is something that is polytheisitic..
not one creator and god

Who is "Goodling" ? Is he an authority on this subject ?

Honza
21-09-2014, 02:30 PM
They meant 'googling'.....

Jenny Crow
22-09-2014, 04:31 AM
Good question.

I too am NOT particularly familiar with paganism. However, after reading this thread, I'm still not sure what "paganism" really is.

Paganism - religions other than Christianity, Judaism or Islam. These religions are often polytheistic.

samsara4
22-09-2014, 02:31 PM
They meant 'googling'.....

Thank you. I missed that (I thought "Goodling" was some expert on paganism :D ). However, I did "google" to learn about "paganism". Everything about it is so general and all-encompassing. I'd like to hear more from people who consider themselves pagans and to learn how they define themselves and paganism.

By the way, I've been to the Khumba Mela in India and met some remarkable yogis and beings there. I've always wondered if the "gods" and "goddesses" of ancient Greece and Rome and other countries were advanced beings of that nature.

DaddyBeast
08-10-2014, 03:21 AM
Many have sought after the "meaning of life", from all walks of life. I do not personally feel it is one specific thing. What gives my life purpose and meaning is not the same as what gives you purpose and meaning.

For me, it is to be the best husband, father, friend, and follower of the Old Ways that I can be. While so very much not a Wiccan, I do tend to follow their main credo, "and it harm none, do as you will." Of course, there are times that can not be achieved.. but those are weighed in my own consciousness, and the good outweighs the bad.

Caitlyn Laufey
09-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Personal interpretation and expression free from dogma.

Pleroma
14-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Pagans love doing rituals and offering sacrifices to gods, they love practising magic which is so often seen with contempt eyes by others as though we are some kind of devil worshippers. We worship moon, fire, air and sun as gods, its because we believe gods are imbibed in nature mysteriously. We are polytheists or henotheists. We acknowledge and respect the gods of other nations. We don't like being enforced and constrained by religious laws. We want to be free and choose our own path for redemption which depend on individual tastes and the deity he or she likes and adores.

hannah
18-10-2014, 03:31 PM
It is generally based on the idea of the earth and nature being a sentient intelligent being, which we work with rather than against and will provide for us as with all the natural world. We are a part of the world, the world is not there solely for our benefit.