PDA

View Full Version : Fear of meditation?

Fenetre
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I've been told to meditate. I have attempted before, but when I do I get very scared. The music suddenly turns ominous to me, and I feel like there are multiple presences around me. My breath catches in my throat and I find it hard to breathe. When I do silent meditation its even worse. I dont know what I'm so scared of, losing my soul or something... hahah that's the best way I can explain it, i'm afraid of losing myself in meditation. Anyone else ever experienced that feeling?

Thanks

Fen :)

wishescometrue
01-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi Fen,

I'm afraid of looking stupid...even though I am by myself!

One day I was out walking my dog and just wondering to myself what I was so scared of, just thinking and thinking about it, when all of a sudden it came to me 'you are a control freak and scared of loosing control' I couldn't stop laughing, this was, and is, so true... I am scared of not being in control, of hearing things/ messages but then later to find out I put them there myself, of what other people would think of me if they knew what I was doing (I don't think I know anyone who meditates) and so many other things.

Now I know this I do find it slightly easier... slowly slowly I hope and one day I will get there.

Not sure if this will be any help to you at all!

John32241
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
I've been told to meditate. I have attempted before, but when I do I get very scared. The music suddenly turns ominous to me, and I feel like there are multiple presences around me. My breath catches in my throat and I find it hard to breathe. When I do silent meditation its even worse. I dont know what I'm so scared of, losing my soul or something... hahah that's the best way I can explain it, i'm afraid of losing myself in meditation. Anyone else ever experienced that feeling?

Thanks

Fen :)

Hello Fen,

Many spiritual teachers describe the human person as a multidimensional being. In my view, this is quite true.

When you meditate you come in contact with All That You Are. This is not something that you need to fear. Even when you encounter an aspect of the self that is disturbed.

May I suggest that the next time you meditate, proceed with the intention of speaking with the guide or aspect of yourself that has been assigned to assist you at this time. There is one or more with that reason for being. Your higher self makes those available to each of us in very particular ways.

I hope these views are helpful.

John

mahakali
01-12-2010, 01:42 AM
go ahed and loose yourself, its fun. dont worry you will not loose your soul lol.

MYFIGO
01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
It's possible you may be sensitive and picking up on what is around you. I think I sense fear before I hear or see something. It seems I pick up on a change in the atmosphere and it generates a feeling of incredible fear. This kind of fear is worse than any thing in real life. Now I know not to pay attention to the fear because it is a false alarm.

I suggest surrounding yourself with white light and asking for protection. Also learn to balance your Chakras. Also you may announce (you can do this silently) that any spirits that are not vested in your highest good must "go into the light". You are far more powerful than they are and they will go.

I use a breathing meditation called "Breathing Through the Bones". It captures my interest and I don't even realize I am meditating.

Xan
01-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Fenetre... Most people have fears of one kind or another of meditation, whether they are aware of them or not. Mostly it's about experiencing yourself in unfamiliar ways, and as you go along you'll get used to the newness.

Here's a simple meditation practice that helps to ease through the discomfort so you can go on further: Three Steps into your true nature - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3680 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fshowthread.php%25253Ft%25253D36 80)

By the way, it's a funny twist of the mind that it thinks you will lose your soul in meditation, when actually this is how we find it. It's your old surface identity that will gradually change.

Xan

spiritfirst
17-12-2010, 08:38 PM
As soon as you close your eyes, you begin to go within. Maybe you are uncomfortable looking at yourself and your world within. It's ok, a lot of people are uncomfortable meditating and closing their eyes. It's funny how the act of closing ones eyes and sitting down makes people want to jump up and run. Try taking it slow, start with 5-10 minutes at a time and increase the time by 5 minutes each week.

Lovely
17-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Maybe the type of meditation you do is too much for you.
Maybe you can just take baby steps and do a small
breathing meditation. Say a pray saying that you wish to feel no
presence around you while mediating before you
do it.