PDA

View Full Version : Is God an absurdist?

xSoulx
08-07-2014, 06:34 PM
It makes sense if you think about it. God encompasses everyone and everything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, ideas and attitudes, but none of them are universally correct. Even philosophies that are completely at odds with absurdism, such as moral absolutism, can be deemed correct by absurdist ideology. A respect for all different ideas and cultures and belief systems is a major factor in love for other beings.

Straight nihilism tends to see the negative in all things as it does not allow for anything to be real. Absurdism, on the other hand, admits that nihilism is a universal truth, yet allows people to believe in themselves and their own ideas. I find it quite hard to contest that God would have any other philosophy.

elisi
08-07-2014, 07:55 PM
and that of course is if one believes in god. :)

Adept
08-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Actually God would HAVE to be a nihilist as the source of all meaning. There's no meaning to his existence.

Tanemon
08-07-2014, 08:22 PM
Due to all the points made in the OP (and more), Alan Watts used to write - in his imaginative theology - that "God obviously has a sense of humor: he created the giraffe". Watts identified God with all of existence on all planes experienced and those beyond. He felt you cannot define God, only speak (preferably in 'poetic language') in a similar way to how "a finger points at the moon".

xSoulx
11-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Actually God would HAVE to be a nihilist as the source of all meaning. There's no meaning to his existence.
Yet, would God be so readily understood? If he is the source of all meaning, then surely there would be more to him than no meaning at all. That and absurdism is technically considered a form of nihilism, just more complex in that it allows people to give meaning to their own lives. If God was truly straight nihilism, then wouldn't the point of straight nihilism defeat itself in the fact that he gave birth to creatures who do give meaning to life?

Adept
13-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Yet, would God be so readily understood? If he is the source of all meaning, then surely there would be more to him than no meaning at all. That and absurdism is technically considered a form of nihilism, just more complex in that it allows people to give meaning to their own lives. If God was truly straight nihilism, then wouldn't the point of straight nihilism defeat itself in the fact that he gave birth to creatures who do give meaning to life?

God gave us the ability to make meaning maybe, or even created us to create meaning for himself. But if god is the source of all meaning then there is no meaning objective to him. There would be nothing else besides him.

xSoulx
13-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Yet no meaning is still a meaning in itself. If he created us to give meaning to our lives or him, then that would mean he has the capacity to understand meaning, even if his is nil.

Dwerg
13-07-2014, 05:27 PM
It makes sense if you think about it.
To me it seems that most things make sense when you think long enough or obsess about it.

God encompasses everyone and everything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, ideas and attitudes, but none of them are universally correct.
The first sentence implies that God exists in the first place, you then proceed to add your own attributes to God. Everyone is entitled to their own ideas, opinions and attitudes because it proves hard to stop humans from being humans. Furthermore people don't tend to talk much about things that are so obvious that discussing it would be pointless, take gravity in the context of daily life. The cause can be doubted, but the effect is obvious.

Even philosophies that are completely at odds with absurdism, such as moral absolutism, can be deemed correct by absurdist ideology. A respect for all different ideas and cultures and belief systems is a major factor in love for other beings.
In other words it's just acceptance of everything as it is. The view that something is absurd tend to happen because it conflicts with strong personal opinion and biases, to the point where their own belief is taken as exclusively true and anything else is absurd (read: rejected).

Straight nihilism tends to see the negative in all things as it does not allow for anything to be real. Absurdism, on the other hand, admits that nihilism is a universal truth, yet allows people to believe in themselves and their own ideas. I find it quite hard to contest that God would have any other philosophy.
Absurdism is only absurd from a nihilistic point of view. Reality is real as there is nothing to suggest that it's not, but since the nihilist doesn't take anything to be real then reality seems absurd. Absurdism is sort of a solution to nihilists and existentialists who couldn't carry the weight of denying the obvious anymore, and handle it as stating that it's absurd and then to accept it. In a spiritual and emotional sense we know that the acceptance part is the point, stating everything to be absurd is just a judgement.

I want to add that when people mention God to me I make it analogous to reality itself, I reject the use of the word God on the basis of unnecessary controversy. It's also much easier to point at reality than God, because I can point anywhere at anytime and skip a lengthy metaphysical discussion. It's more effective than pointing at a book. My own philosophy is quite simply philosophy, it provides the solutions to it's own problems apparently.

r6r6
13-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Only humans give meaning to existence. Ex;
{ *Y* } = complex bilateral conscious attention/consciousness with the most complex access to complex mind/intellect via individual human > woman( pregnant ) > woman( xX ) > man( Xy )

God{ ess } = Universe.

Universe = finite occupied space.

Finite occupied space = fermions, bosons--- other than gravity ---and gravity.

Gravity = essence of Universe as it embraces, coheres and contains Universe as finite integral whole.

Gravity may also embrace each every particle of Universe ex;

(-)(-)(-)(-)

r6

xSoulx
14-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Yes, Dwerg, I meant God in the meta-physical, figurative, sense, so it wouldn't really matter if he truly existed or not. That is besides the point. Also, I accept reality for what it is as I see it. I didn't so much find absurdism as a result of my own nihilism, but an acknowledgement of the ideas of the nihilism in others. A preservation of my own ideas in response to the obvious truth that life holds no objective meaning and that humans give life that meaning. I understand what you are trying to say, though.

r6r6: Interesting theorem. Incidentally, I've also come to the conclusion that God is a gravitational force that played a role in the origins of life. What if we dug even further though? Do you think we'd find that the meanings humans gave to life originated from a sentient force/energy within gravity itself? I'm not quite entirely sure of the answer, myself.

r6r6
14-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Imho, gravity is essence ie fundamental root of structural aspects of transformative Operating System of Universe, that has two fundamental catagories/
fermions and bosons-- other than gravity ----.

There is no "deeper"( IN ) than ultra-micro gravity. imho

My texticonic representation of the Euclidean( straight lines ), triangular based dypyramid graviton is, <> or <|>

The curved version () would be same as Jim Lehmans Pods found in his Pandora's Sphere PDF.

God( ess ) / Universe / Great Mama / Great Papa/Spirit / Cosmos are all other names for our finite occupied space whole. imho

This is why I consider gravity to be quasi-physical ergo spirit-3 not spirit-2

r6

r6r6: Interesting theorem. Incidentally, I've also come to the conclusion that God is a gravitational force that played a role in the origins of life. What if we dug even further though? Do you think we'd find that the meanings humans gave to life originated from a sentient force/energy within gravity itself? I'm not quite entirely sure of the answer, myself.