PDA

View Full Version : Crowley's Thoth deck for a beginner?

Lisbet
30-06-2014, 12:28 AM
I just picked up the Thoth tarot deck. Anybody else read with the Thoth? Any words of wisdom for a newbie? I know everyone recommends the Rider Waite for starting out, but I just ... can't ... I feel almost like repelled away from the Rider deck--can't quite put my finger on it, but ts like considering dating someone you're not attracted to. Ick. Besides I really think Aleister Crowley is cool ;) I'm also in love with the astrology connection (I was even told by a friend once at random that I need to find a tarot deck relating to astrology--she had no idea I was into tarot or astrology at the time...)!

Anyway, the Thoth is magnificent! But I've never understood how one can go about making up interpretations from images. I feel like I should have to know a certain level of theory first.

I have a couple faery decks I've done self readings with books that don't really relate to my decks (they have actually been ok, but definitely haven't helped me delve into the tarot!)

So, as a theory junkie, before I pick up a copy of The Book of Thoth and attempt to wrap my head around it, are there any more fundamental readings I could check out surrounding the intricate symbology of this deck? I see that confounding Qabalist tree of life diagram all over the place. How do I begin to get into that? Is this an acceptable path to take for a beginner?

I don't know if anyone will be able to offer guidance here, but if so thanks in advance!

Tsuga
30-06-2014, 09:33 AM
I've been on the look out for a more traditional tarot deck to work with. I use the Victoria Frances, Gothic Vampires, Tarot. I'm not at all into the goths and vampires thing, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. (The Tavole is not without it's special kind of deep magic).

Anyway, I too am interested in Aleister Crowley and his Thoth deck is very attractive.

http://s1.postimg.org/k8bnq1q0f/ravenstarot.gif (http://www.corax.com/tarot/)

I stumbled across this website a few days ago while looking for Thoth interpretations.
You should have looksee - it's very user friendly, Thoth orientated, and, with lots of info on the Kabbalah tree of life.

t.

Lisbet
30-06-2014, 11:57 AM
I've been on the look out for a more traditional tarot deck to work with. I use the Victoria Frances, Gothic Vampires, Tarot. I'm not at all into the goths and vampires thing, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. (The Tavole is not without it's special kind of deep magic).

Anyway, I too am interested in Aleister Crowley and his Thoth deck is very attractive.

http://s1.postimg.org/k8bnq1q0f/ravenstarot.gif (http://www.corax.com/tarot/)

I stumbled across this website a few days ago while looking for Thoth interpretations.
You should have looksee - it's very user friendly, Thoth orientated, and, with lots of info on the Kabbalah tree of life.

t.

Thank you! I shall bookmark this. :)

Lorelyen
30-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Basically when the RW set was issued much of the symbology was "secret" (in that people devising it were bound by orders of secrecy so much of the symbolism was omitted or craftily hidden). Crowley had no misgivings about secrets. Magic is for all, he said, and very late in life commission the art of the Thoth.

The Thoth is a fine deck and it's worth studying the symbolism. The accompanying "Book of Thoth" is quite difficult for a newcomer and particularly someone who isn't conversant with Thelema, love under will, but there are introductory texts/books. If you want a book, then DuQuette's introduction is quite good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understanding-Aleister-Crowleys-Thoth-Tarot/dp/1578632765/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404131068&sr=1-3&keywords=book+of+thoth

There's another interesting book, a workbook/diary of a sort. (I have this one. His style is fairly chatty with a lot of sometimes amusing asides!) Have a look at the reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarot-Path-Initiation-Henry-Ho/dp/1491881380/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404131023&sr=1-1&keywords=book+of+thoth+henry+ho

It's probably the best deck for path-working and meditation (over and above divination), and there are various documents such as Liber T that go into those things in some detail. If you want to look deeper into the deck you'll become introduced to the Kabbalah (Qababla) and the Tree of Life, it's paths and wheels (Sephiroth), and see how the whole thing holds together.

It'll take time to "understand" the deck, but very well worth it. Honestly, a major step on the road to spiritual development if you want it to be that though of course it can just be used as a divinatory deck.

:smile:

Lisbet
30-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Lorelyen :) I appreciate the recommendations. I realize I've been "interested" in Tarot for twelve years now, and I haven't gotten into it yet. It doesn't appear to be something I want to learn right away or all at once. I'm not sure I'll ever be interested in using Tarot for other people, or if it will be more for myself. But maybe when after I have been more well read I may gain a new perspective. I have always been more of a thinker than a doer anyway. :)

Lisbet
30-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Well I just got Tarot and the Path of Initiation on my kindle (because I just happened to have the right ammount left in my account to purchase it.) Upon reading the introduction, I'm already realizing why I was attracted to picking up this deck first and why I really dig Crowley so much. :) I'll probably be getting all the recommended readings the author put in the intro (eventually) as well. I'm really digging what he's saying and his intentions.

Awakened Queen
01-07-2014, 12:52 AM
I read with the Thoth, because I was drawn to it. I'm a visual person, so I was attracted to its intense, somewhat obtuse, imagery. There are no need for reversals. The positive cards are full of light and happiness. The negative cards are full of misery and pain. The true skill is when one can see the light and dark in each. Even the 10 of Swords isn't all bad. Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

You may want to buy this book as a guide as you learn: http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Mirror-Handbook-Aleister-Crowley/dp/0877286833/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404175963&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=tarot+gerard+ziegler

Lisbet
01-07-2014, 01:31 AM
Thank you, Awakened Queen. The reviews look great. :) I may indeed end up with a rather extensive corner of my books dedicated to Crowley's work! (I happen to be a hoarder of books anyway, so it's just as well).

I'm also very relieved that this deck does not use reversals.

Awakened Queen
01-07-2014, 02:01 AM
Thank you, Awakened Queen. The reviews look great. :) I may indeed end up with a rather extensive corner of my books dedicated to Crowley's work! (I happen to be a hoarder of books anyway, so it's just as well).

I'm also very relieved that this deck does not use reversals.

This deck is loaded with symbolism and astrological signs. I found it took a while to soak in each card's energy. My friend has been using this deck for 25 years, and I'm always blown away by his readings.

The RWS Pages are replaced by Princesses. The RWS Kings are the equivalent of Knights. The RWS Knights are Princes.

It also follows the structure of the Tree of Life in Kabbalah. Crowley dabbled in every spiritual belief under the sun.

Lorelyen
01-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Well I just got Tarot and the Path of Initiation on my kindle (because I just happened to have the right ammount left in my account to purchase it.) Upon reading the introduction, I'm already realizing why I was attracted to picking up this deck first and why I really dig Crowley so much. :) I'll probably be getting all the recommended readings the author put in the intro (eventually) as well. I'm really digging what he's saying and his intentions.

Glad to hear you were able to get it. Hope you enjoy and learn from it. His style is pretty no-holds-barred, no nonsense, and refreshing compared with some academic texts!

The problem I had with Thoth (and with just about every other deck) was remembering and characterising the court cards. They're pretty precise in the Thoth, so much is evident. Ho deals with them nicely but there still seems so much to remember. I solved it by drawing out the details on a zodiacal wheel with the decanates marked out.

I can't attach a picture to posts here but the more-or-less identical diagram is given in post No. 11 of this link, should you happen to have the same problem. The picture relates the court cards and 4 aces to their zodiacal and elemental attributes.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=213533&highlight=decanates&page=2

:smile:

thisisnotharmless
30-07-2014, 05:41 AM
I've never been drawn to the Thoth or Rider decks. My first deck was the Crystal Tarot (http://www.hogglewick.co.uk/pics/10187.jpg) and, even though I have others now, I still use it almost exclusively.

You should use whatever deck you're drawn to. Tarot cards are far older than any established decks we have now. There's no right or wrong ones to use.