PDA

View Full Version : Love

hopeful harry
28-06-2014, 12:00 PM
This could be the most obvious thing anyone has ever written in this forum but love is the only thing that really matters isn't it?

I realised this as if by magic just yesterday.

Badger1777
28-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I don't know. Curry and beer are quite important too.

hopeful harry
28-06-2014, 12:16 PM
I don't know. Curry and beer are quite important too.

Definitely! :smile:

God-Like
28-06-2014, 01:07 PM
This could be the most obvious thing anyone has ever written in this forum but love is the only thing that really matters isn't it?

Hi Harry

I suppose on one level it matters and on one level love is all there is . Other levels perhaps reflect that love doesn't matter and love is just a drop in the ocean .

Whats does love mean to you is more the point .

x daz x

krishna
28-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Love and giving with no wish for return matters.
In pure light and truth.
Krishna.

knightofalbion
28-06-2014, 02:07 PM

Yes, love is everything.

It is the thing above all else that we should strive to cultivate within our hearts and our day-to-day lives.

We're all human and of course fallible, but one should seek kindness in thought, word and deed, as much as one is able.

I'm reminded of the beautiful saying by Thomas L. Odem Jr
'I have no desire to move mountains, construct monuments or leave behind in my wake material evidence of my existence. But in the final recollection, if the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark'.

Lynn
28-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Hello

Until recently I was not sure on the whole topic of LOVe.....but when you find that someone that LOVes you for just whom you are its a wonderful feeling.

I still feel that the most important LOVe connection is to your self to have that place of self acceptance and that feeling of being whole with whom one is. When one finds that place it is easier I feel to give that LOVe outwards. To have the whole package.

We are emotional beings in the physical form we come into experience and in that LOVe is one of the strongest but its a double edge sword we carry at times as LOVe can have a nasty bite to it at times. We do not always get that LOVe back to us that we send out. For me LOVe is a guarded thing of the heart and the Soul, I keep pretty protected.

Lynn

Ivy
28-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Love has many different associations and meanings.

A friend of some years ago, felt that having a partner and being part of a friendship group that loved her, mattered more than anything. If she were reading your post, she would agree with a passion, that love was all that mattered.

But to her, love too often mattered more that honesty, integrity, faithfulness, compassion etc. So to her, I would say that love wasn't all that mattered in life.

Yet, to the man who has strived for gold all his life and neglected to feel life from the heart, I might say that love is all that really matters.

Emmalevine
28-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Love is what it's all about.

Adept
28-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Definitely disagree.

LadyMay
28-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Definitely disagree.

Why do you disagree?

I agree with the OP. Everything is basically love.

Adept
29-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Why do you disagree?

I agree with the OP. Everything is basically love.

1) "Love" is too big a term. There's many kinds of love.

2) Other emotions are just as important. If a we felt was love it's lose meaning. It's unbalances, it's light in the dark.

3) Emotions are lesser lines of thought than logic.

4) "Love" can be simplified. In fact, all emotions can be simplified. They're subjective, they're caused by chemicals in the brain, influenced by experience.

Badger1777
29-06-2014, 12:45 AM
4) "Love" can be simplified. In fact, all emotions can be simplified. They're subjective, they're caused by chemicals in the brain, influenced by experience.

You can train the mind to overcome all these emotions, except love. Buddhist monks in Vietnam protested against war by setting themselves on fire. The fear and pain (emotions) must have been intense, yet they didn't seem bothered, because they'd trained their minds. If they could train their minds to overcome love, would they not have simply done that instead, ie trained themselves to reject their love of nature, people, life being destroyed, and just live in peace while it happened around them?

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 12:48 AM
1) "Love" is too big a term. There's many kinds of love.

2) Other emotions are just as important. If a we felt was love it's lose meaning. It's unbalances, it's light in the dark.

3) Emotions are lesser lines of thought than logic.

Love is all these things. I'm not referring to emotion.

Miss Hepburn
29-06-2014, 01:48 AM
Well, that is what most NDErs come back saying with
profound depth and examples from their Life Reviews with
their Spirit Guides or whomever with them.

I am convinced...any time my ego/mind/ lower self wants to not
do a loving action of some sort...just something minor like be slightly
cold to someone I know did a very bad thing...like gossip badly or slander
a homosexual....I know that kindness and going beyond my stupid ego is what
God wants of me....love, just love...leave anything else to Him....my job
is to love, period...myself, others and Him with all my heart, mind and soul.

If you are a failure in your, job, school, finances whatever...doesn't matter
if love was your prime motive. That's what I get.

Miss Hepburn
29-06-2014, 01:54 AM
If there is no one to love for days...love the walls, appreciate
the walls, be grateful for the walls...then, love, appreciate and
be grateful to the Creator of those walls, I say.*

* And esp the ceiling!!! :smile:

Adept
29-06-2014, 01:55 AM
You can train the mind to overcome all these emotions, except love. Buddhist monks in Vietnam protested against war by setting themselves on fire. The fear and pain (emotions) must have been intense, yet they didn't seem bothered, because they'd trained their minds. If they could train their minds to overcome love, would they not have simply done that instead, ie trained themselves to reject their love of nature, people, life being destroyed, and just live in peace while it happened around them?

You could train yourself to ignore love.

Adept
29-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Love is all these things. I'm not referring to emotion.

Love is an emotion.

Mathew James
29-06-2014, 02:10 AM
When we truly love our enemy, we will know love. However, truth is greater than love. Love needs truth to exist, truth only needs truth to exist.

mj

Adept
29-06-2014, 03:14 AM
When we truly love our enemy, we will know love. However, truth is greater than love. Love needs truth to exist, truth only needs truth to exist.

mj

I think loving our enemies takes away from love. Love is precious, special. When we waste it on the undeserving we show the deserving how little they mean to us. I couldn't hold a relationship with someone who valued me so little that she loved those who disregard, hurt, and betray her.

Gem
29-06-2014, 04:51 AM
On a fundamental level, love is the acknowledgement of the existential presence of another person or being. On a more personal level love is of the qualities or traits of people or beings.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Yes, you can. I did this. But you can't escape it forever. It's who we all are, fundamentally.

Love is an emotion.

There are two different kinds of love. I think you are referring to the feeling and not the state of being.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 10:50 AM

mj

I disagree. Love and Truth are different aspects of the same thing.

Arcturus
29-06-2014, 11:00 AM
i always share this passage on love by krishnamurti. i like its lack of sentimentality and conclusions. an annhilating read i think. http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishnamurti-teachings/view-text.php?tid=48&chid=56793

Now how am I going to find out what this flame is which we call love - not how to express it to another but what it means in itself? I will first reject what the church, what society, what my parents and friends, what every person and every book has said about it because I want to find out for myself what it is. Here is an enormous problem that involves the whole of mankind, there have been a thousand ways of defining it and I myself am caught in some pattern or other according to what I like or enjoy at the moment - so shouldn't I, in order to understand it, first free myself from my own inclinations and prejudices? I am confused, torn by my own desires, so I say to myself, `First clear up your own confusion. Perhaps you may be able to discover what love is through what it is not.'

Baile
29-06-2014, 11:06 AM
However, truth is greater than love. Love needs truth to exist, truth only needs truth to exist.Dark is stronger than light, truth is greater than love... all this desire and need to quantify.

Everything is pure spirit. That is all. Love and truth are two of the ways the human being manifests spirit in the physical. Again, that is all.

silent whisper
29-06-2014, 11:16 AM

mj

You have touched base..

Badger1777
29-06-2014, 11:30 AM

I challenge you to try it.

Ivy
29-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Another thread about love, offering numerous interpretations about what love is along with the agreements and disagreements formed from dearly held opinions, that seem to follow love.

This is why calling something love creates division rather than unity. Which makes love a poor expression.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Another thread about love, offering numerous interpretations about what love is along with the agreements and disagreements formed from dearly held opinions, that seem to follow love.

This is why calling something love creates division rather than unity. Which makes love a poor expression.

You have a point. Also a rather ironic one considering you joined in this thread..

To me love is everything and nothing. It can't really be labelled or rationally understood. It just is.

Ivy
29-06-2014, 12:48 PM
You have a point. Also a rather ironic one considering you joined in this thread..

To me love is everything and nothing. It can't really be labelled or rationally understood. It just is.

Did you see what I joined in with though?

My contribution in the first instance pointed out the different ways that people relate to love - and why to one it might be beneficial to think love is all that matters, but to another it might be a hinderance to believe that love is all that matters.

I posted the different views, because discussion about love always goes this way. What is interesting is that most people ignored it and still went on to give a single view, rather than consider that there may be multiple views to be seen.

Emmalevine
29-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Love is what it is. The fact that we humans often create conflicts out of it only highlights the desire to avoid this basic truth.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 01:17 PM

My contribution in the first instance pointed out the different ways that people relate to love - and why to one it might be beneficial to think love is all that matters, but to another it might be a hinderance to believe that love is all that matters.

I posted the different views, because discussion about love always goes this way. What is interesting is that most people ignored it and still went on to give a single view, rather than consider that there may be multiple views to be seen.

That is what I meant. Love is everything and nothing. It's all these views and none of them.

Gem
29-06-2014, 01:42 PM

I noticed.

Yes there are many different ways of loving or expressing love (need I state the obvious), so I consider how is it that people are able to generate love or bring it into their lives... and there's bound to be many many views on that.

Mathew James
29-06-2014, 03:31 PM
I disagree. Love and Truth are different aspects of the same thing.

that is true, I think "pure" love comes out of truth. An example would be nature. All of nature is based on the perfect "laws of nature", which react the same way 100% of the time when there is no interference, as such, the foundation of nature is truth. And nature embraces all it touches without prejudice, which is my concept of "pure" love.

mj

Ivy
29-06-2014, 03:39 PM
If all we know of love is that it 'is what it is' and 'everything and nothing' an 'emotion' but also not an 'emotion', how can the concept that 'love is all that matters' matter?

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 03:52 PM
If all we know of love is that it 'is what it is' and 'everything and nothing' an 'emotion' but also not an 'emotion', how can the concept that 'love is all that matters' matter?

Because it also doesn't matter, I guess? Lol. You could just go around in circles with this.. everything and nothing matters. *shrug*

Ivy
29-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Because it also doesn't matter, I guess? Lol. You could just go around in circles with this.. everything and nothing matters. *shrug*

Lol, exactly, yes you could go round and round. But when people stop spinning to try and keep up an idea, all of the various ideas are placed within reach around us - like a buffet :smile:

Gem
29-06-2014, 04:37 PM
People go round and round because they say woo woo things, which spin everyone out.

Kaere
29-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Maybe it would be easier to understand if we (as people in general) were more inclined to do more of it, experience it, let it happen, instead of spending time trying to figure it out, lamenting, denying...

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Maybe it would be easier to understand if we (as people in general) were more inclined to do more of it, experience it, let it happen, instead of spending time trying to figure it out, lamenting, denying...

I don't think you can 'do' more of it. Just being yourself is fine. If that includes doing things to express that like caring for people then that's fine too.

Kaere
29-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't think you can 'do' more of it. Just being yourself is fine. If that includes doing things to express that like caring for people then that's fine too.

Potayto potahto.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Potayto potahto.

Talking about it like this is still love..

Kaere
29-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Talking about it like this is still love..

Apologies, I did not mean to imply the opposite. I was trying to point out that we were saying the same thing but with different words.

LadyMay
29-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Apologies, I did not mean to imply the opposite. I was trying to point out that we were saying the same thing but with different words.

Ah okay, misunderstanding.