PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts On Yoga

Wagner
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Yoga means Union.

Hello. I would like to share some of my personal thoughts on Yoga. So here goes!

What is perception? It would not exist without consciousness. Nor would it exist without something to be conscious of. It requires both of these things; to keep matters as simple as possible. Perception, therefore, in one way, is the union--the Yoga--of a seer and a thing seen. Thus we can say that every single moment that one is perceiving something represents an instance of Yoga.

That great pinnacle for achieving liberation by use of the system delineated through the Vedas, Samadhi, is this very same phenomenon of Yoga, merely being at the scale conceived by the Union of the perfectly concentrated Will of the Yogi with the Universe. It is the 'Sublime Synthesis' between what the Yogi is and what the Yogi is not.

I will share lots more as time goes on. I encourage anyone to share their own thoughts and/or questions!

Much love and peace.

Wagner
12-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Yoga means Union.

I'd like to talk a little about my thoughts on Raja Yoga. Raja Yoga is to the mind what a magnifying glass is to the sunlight. The sunlight on its own is not powerful enough to spontaneously incinerate things upon the Earth. However, with the agency of the lens of the magnifying glass you are able to concentrate those rays from the Sun such that they are capable of burning into paper and wood and etc... What Raja Yoga does is take all of those thoughts and ideas and reasoning of the mind and concentrates them into a single, unified beam of force of pure introspection which is bereft of any form of identity. This introspection is then turned upon its own source: the mind. As well, this bereavement of identity is not permanent. Samyama and its ilk are particularly profound, temporary (in 99% of the case) altered states of consciousness. From these altered states we bring to our ordinary awareness anything that we may have experienced (ie. wisdom or insight gleaned).

Miss Hepburn
15-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Who are you, Masked Man?

Please continue!!!
First post was exceptional....but, then you jump right into Raja Yoga?
I'm tuned into you.
:smile:

sunsoul
16-06-2014, 05:14 AM
Nice thoughts...

How would you explain the seeds of consciousness, and heightened awareness continuing on into our ordinary consciousness? What about the change from a turbulent mind to a more settled mind?

Wagner
16-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Who are you, Masked Man?
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. :P

Please continue!!!
First post was exceptional....but, then you jump right into Raja Yoga?
I'm tuned into you.
:smile:
Do you think that that was a bit too extreme of a leap in moving to Raja Yoga? Perhaps I should pace my thoughts a bit more prudently.

Be sure to check out my poem in the Poetry section of this forum. It' called "Seeking HGA" and was inspired by my foray into Bhakti Yoga. As well, please share any of your own thought or questions on the matter of Yoga. I love to listen and to learn and to share and to experience!

Many thanks for your lovely comments, my dear! :)

Miss Hepburn
17-06-2014, 12:01 AM
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together. :P

But, there is no me !! :tongue:

Do you think that that was a bit too extreme of a leap in
moving to Raja Yoga?
No. :)
I started out one time right into kechari.
Wasn't understood by 99.9% of anyone.
You might like this , the day I saw your post I found a book in a Used Book Store...
published by Radha Soami Satsang Beas, Punjab...what were the chances.

Here... random, p 66 of The Path...

The unbroken strains of the Word
Come from deep withn the Flame;
Those that see the Flame and hear the Word
Become attached to the true Lord.

Wagner
17-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Nice thoughts...
Thank you! :)

How would you explain the seeds of consciousness,
Could you first explain what you mean by "seeds of consciousness"? I fear I'm a bit unsure as to what you are referencing.

and heightened awareness continuing on into our ordinary consciousness?
This is the crux of the difficulty in explaining spiritual experience to those who are indelibly entrenched within the grounds of empiricism. The short answer is that merging together such (seemingly) different modes of perception never translates well when one seeks to explain oneself in a credible manner. Given that the change which Yoga fosters (in regards to the Yogi) is subjective it is aim to all manner of bilgewater being spewed by prevaricating armchair mystics who have not one wit of practical experience. My thinking is that this whole thing, this practice of Yoga, falls neatly within the confines of psychology. That is why I always endeavor to explain these practices of Yoga in pragmatic language. :)

What about the change from a turbulent mind to a more settled mind?
This query could refer to different things. There is the "settled mind" which results from the calm afforded by practicing light meditation. There is the "settled mind" whose progenitor is the practice of Vairagya. There is also the "settled mind" of the Masters. On a scale of 10 - 1, with 10 being an above average spiritual person and 3 being a Master, I would be a 9. :)

Thank you for your post. I hope that I did not shirk any of your questions unduly. If I have then please tell me so and I will address any points as promptly as possible. I have a devil of a busy time right now.

Peace to you.

Wagner
17-06-2014, 12:18 AM
But, there is no me !! :tongue:
Oh but you are a real card, Miss Hepburn! :)

No. :)
Then that settles it. :)

I started out one time right into kechari.
Wasn't understood by 99.9% of anyone.
That sounds very interesting. I must admit that I am unfamiliar with that particular method of practice. :\ I will have to research it and give it a whirl perhaps.

You might like this , the day I saw your post I found a book in a Used Book Store...
published by Radha Soami Satsang Beas, Punjab...what were the chances.

Here... random, p 66 of The Path...

The unbroken strains of the Word
Come from deep withn the Flame;
Those that see the Flame and hear the Word
Become attached to the true Lord.
What a beautiful verse. I am a huge fan of the way that metaphor and analogy can at times bridge the gap between the ideal, spiritual mindset and the unreal, actual mindset. Not too many are there who can maintain the ideal permanently. I aspire to such, my dear Miss Hepburn, but I have a long trek ahead of me!! :)

You are a dear. Please post anything that you wish whenever you wish to. It is an honor to have your thoughts herein.

Namaste. :)