PDA

View Full Version : How noob Vegans fail themselves......

Light420
05-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Hello New Vegan Foodies!

These are the reasons why your Vegan diet might be making you feel uncomfortable. Before you go back to eating meat (yuck) see if you are making any of the following mistakes....

1. You failed to replace the old protein with new....Giving up meat is great but your body still needs the protein. I know this might sound obvious but many feel like you just go straight to veggies. So what do you replace meat with? Hemp Protein!! That is what I did and I do not regret it. Hemp contains many amino acids you cannot find in any other plant!

2. You are detoxing. It is normal to be sick or feel sick the first week or two after giving up meat. If you do not start to pick up energy after the first month or you feel yourself weakening call a nutritionist...you might be lacking in a nutrient. Do not give into the blood that fast!

3. Not enough water. Your consuming a lot more fiber so you need more of the H2o.

4. Soy. Soy is number 1 when it comes to GMOs. It could be the GMOs making you feel like ****. A lot of meat fillers contain Soy and many are not GMO free. Look for the GMO free label. If you do not like soy great! I have a solution because I can't stand soy either! Lentils! Boil Lentils until soft then add spices to it.

wolfmanthe1st
05-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Spirulina is probably the best source of protein. It has more protein than meat.

FYI-Over 90% of corn in the U.S. is GMO. Some countries burn the entire farm field if a GMO seed is discovered.

knightofalbion
05-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Re reasons for giving up:

1,2.3 - excellent advice.

4 - we don't have GM soya here in the UK.
Soya milk is requred by EU law to state if it is derived from GM soya ...
All the major soya milks here are GM free. Certainly Alpro the market leader is
http://www.alpro.com/uk/faq
Ditto soya meat substitutes.

5 People forget why they became vegan in the first place ...

Lightspirit
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
5 People forget why they became vegan in the first place ... I did because I am repulsed by meat products so I get a reminder every day.

Lightspirit
05-06-2014, 12:10 PM
5 People forget why they became vegan in the first place ... I don't forget because I am repulsed by meat products so I get a reminder every day.

Miss Hepburn
05-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Ha, another person that knows about Hemp seeds.
Great.
I found the best price at Costco of all places.
:smile:

Tobi
05-06-2014, 10:17 PM
I am intrigued by Hemp, as I know it contains many goodies.
However I bought a dried vegan burger mix made from Hemp seeds and other things. 100% organic, no GMO, nothing 'nasty', smelled gorgeous! The dried mix was mixed with water, allowed to stand, then cooked gently in oil. Smelled wonderful and tasted the same....but -it was like crunching through rocks! The seeds were so harsh and hard and gritty!
And I have good teeth, so that wasn't the problem.

I'm in UK so many products in the US might not be available here, but if anyone knows what you do with Hemp seeds (are they always rocky to eat??) -to make them tasty for burgers etc, please let me know.

knightofalbion
06-06-2014, 08:19 AM
And me.

Heard so many wonderful things about the nutritional qualities of it. Unfortunately very little is available in the health shops as of yet.

Tobi
07-06-2014, 12:03 AM
I was wondering if the grittiness might have been because the burger mix I bought could have contained un-shelled hemp seeds. So I started to take a look around, googled it, to see if hemp seeds were available shelled.

Anyway, I have just been reading about a large number of people who have had bad reactions -very bad, with severe vomiting and other symptoms -from eating hemp seeds and hemp milk. The reports are too many and too varied to be coincidence (caused by stomach flu or other things) Some of the people had eaten hemp seeds many times before, then suddenly got that reaction, and from then on, were ill every time they tried to eat them.

So I thought I should mention that. It seems a shame, as this appears to be a very nutritious food for vegans. But ill-effects apparently can happen.

Light420
07-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks Tobi. I have not had problems personally however I will stay hemp aware!

Lilyth Von Gore
14-06-2014, 08:45 AM
Problem is, Quorn chicken tastes absolutely vile.
Everything else tastes wonderful.
I'm not vegan, but vegetarian. I can't eat meat because my digestive tract can't handle meat protein. I'm also lactose intolerant. Yay.
You're right though. I do feel kinda ill and bummed out that I literally have no choice in what I eat anymore. I can't eat meat without feeling incredibly sick.