PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain cusps to me?

Calypso_Storm
26-11-2010, 04:51 PM
A couple of months ago, I found out that I was actually born on a cusp but I'm not sure what that exactly is. So when someone is born on a cusp, does it mean they have traits of both signs? For example, if the sun sign is Libra and the cusp is Scorpio, would that person have traits of both signs?

Thanks.:smile:

Neville
26-11-2010, 05:44 PM
They are very thinly sliced wafers of potato that are either baked or fried.

Oh that's crisps not cusps ..:redface:

Cusps are indeed pivotal dates between two zodiac signs and as you quiet rightly suggest . it is quiet normal for a person born on a cusp to manifest traits from each sun sign, but that really is a sweeping generalisation .

To get a much better astrological look at a person we need to consider the houses and signs that the natal planets occupy along with the ascendant mid heaven and the aspects that these planets form to one another.

I do understand that calculating natal birth charts is a complex business and interpretting them even more of a brain drain.

So here is a brilliant little website that will give you a full natal birth chart along with a mini profile.

http://astrology.about.com/library/bl_freeAstrochart.htm (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fastrology.about.com%2F library%2Fbl_freeAstrochart.htm)

All the best Neville

Calypso_Storm
26-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Thin potato wafers! LOL

Thanks for that link, Neville. :smile: I'll check that one out too. I have my chart saved somewhere and the reason I asked about cusps is because I read up on both of them and I have far more traits of the one then the other. The two signs for me are aquarius(which is the month I was born in) and pisces and I have very little of the aquarius traits yet everything I've read on pisces is me.

Roselove
26-11-2010, 07:23 PM
i was told there are no such things as cusps, look to the degree of the sun for the sign, rising sign, moon venus etc depending on your gender

if you feel more pisces then aquaruis i would look at other planets in pisces or neptune aspects in chart.

LightFilledHeart
27-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Rose! [Oh, sorry! Calypso was it who raised the question about cusps?]

Funny you should ask.. I'm a Scorpio (barely one degree into the sign) on the cusp of Libra :smile: Being born on the cusp of two different signs (though you will be in one of the other) is an indication you will incorporate some of the qualities and temperment of the other sign as well as your own. I'm grateful for the things my Libra qualities give me... they help balance out my Scorpio intensity! Interestingly enough, my late husband and Twin Soul was also a cusper, but one month ahead of me. He was a Libra born on the cusp of Virgo, and I am a Scorpio born on the cusp of Libra :smile:

SandybytheSea
28-11-2010, 11:00 AM
There are 2 things I'd like to point out about cusps.

1. Our sun "progresses" through the horoscope as we age, at approximately 1 degree per year of our life. This means that while you may be born a Libran or Aquarian or Scorpion (the real truth is, you are not born any one sign, only with your SUN in one particular sign) as you go through life you begin to take on the energies of the next sign.

There are 30 degrees in each sign, so this means that if you are born when the sun was at 5 degrees Libra, it will take 25 years before your progressed sun reaches Scorpio, and at that time you'll begin to take on the qualities of Scorpio - for the next 30 years. But if you were born at 29 degrees Libra, your progressed sun moves into Scorpio when you are a year old, so naturally you will develop more Scorpion qualities than Libran.

This change of signs through progression is also a big turning point in your life, so those of you who know what degree your natal sun was can work out at what age you had - or will have - a turning point.

I hope this makes sense to those who aren't astrologers, and if not feel free to ask me to explain in more detail.

2. The other important point about cusps is that, as an astrologer and teacher of astrology, I have found that people born on cusps usually have more challenging lives than those born from 5 degrees to 25 degrees in the sign. I suspect this is a level of karma incoming souls take on, and am in awe of those souls who choose a cusp birth because it indicates strength and courage to accept a challenging lifetime.

LightFilledHeart
28-11-2010, 03:18 PM
The other important point about cusps is that, as an astrologer and teacher of astrology, I have found that people born on cusps usually have more challenging lives than those born from 5 degrees to 25 degrees in the sign. I suspect this is a level of karma incoming souls take on, and am in awe of those souls who choose a cusp birth because it indicates strength and courage to accept a challenging lifetime.

I never see karma as "punishment", but rather as opportunity. You know what they say... we save the hardest for last! I'm told it's the mark of a venerable old soul when someone chooses to take entrance to the earth on the cusp. For me personally I haven't noticed any movement towards Sagitarian expression as I age (I was born barely one degree into Scorpio, on the cusp of Libra), but I HAVE noticed a strengthening of both my Scorpio and Libra qualities, and an ability to marry the two in more harmonious fashion, a result of mellowing with age and hopefully gaining wisdom :wink:

mahakali
29-11-2010, 02:09 AM
aww cool, im born 29th of march so i think im on a cusp too. i wonder if there are cusps to the Chinese zodiac as well.

Valus
29-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Rosewater makes a good point
about Pisces planets and Neptune aspects.
I'd also add 12th house planets to that.
Plenty of personal experience there. ;)

SandyByTheSea makes a good point about progressions.
Anyone born late in a sign began working with the themes
of the successive sign very early in life.

I would emphasize, though,
that progressions, however important,
never override the signature of the natal chart;
they are secondary influences only.

(These are just my speculations, mostly.
I haven't observed enough real-life cases
to know if all I've read and reasoned is true.)

From what I've read:

Anything from 28°-1° is considered on the cusp.

If your Sun (or any planet) is at 29° it's called "anaretic".

Anaretic planets can't decide whether to express themselves
according to the sign that's resolving itself or according to
the sign that's just about to take center stage.

These planets vacillate and then often make snap decisions.

Planets in later degrees have attained mastery in the sign,
but, with mastery, comes the awareness that one is also
a beginner where the themes of the next sign are concerned.

Many things have been reported as marks of an old soul, --
or, at least, of a particularly significant incarnation, -- but,
in my experience, the only reliable marks (astrologically, anyway)
are CLOSE, DYNAMIC aspects (conjunctions, squares, and oppositions)
between the outer planets (Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto)
and either the personal planets (Sun,Moon,Mercury,Venus, and Mars)
or the personal axis points (Ascendant and Midheaven).

Close, dynamic aspects of outer planets to Nodal points
may also be considered, but I haven't personally witnessed it.

These aspects signify incarnations of great depth, and it's reasonable to assume that they're taken by relatively old souls. However, this doesn't mean that incarnations lacking such depth are necessarily taken only by young souls. Who says old souls can't take vacations? It's been said that a righteous person may have been wicked in a past life, and vice versa. There are so many ups and downs, twists and turns, I really doubt it's in our power to see who is or is not an old soul; though we can see who is dealing with large themes in THIS incarnation.

mahakali,

The 30 degrees of a sign don't match up
with the 30 days of a standard month,
so you weren't born on the cusp.
You're well into Pisces.
Edit: Oops, I mean Aries.

mahakali
30-11-2010, 05:12 AM
cool thanks, great post

Valus
30-11-2010, 01:51 PM
you're welcome. thank you. :D

Soulsearcher13
30-11-2010, 04:49 PM
There are 2 things I'd like to point out about cusps.

1. Our sun "progresses" through the horoscope as we age, at approximately 1 degree per year of our life. This means that while you may be born a Libran or Aquarian or Scorpion (the real truth is, you are not born any one sign, only with your SUN in one particular sign) as you go through life you begin to take on the energies of the next sign.

There are 30 degrees in each sign, so this means that if you are born when the sun was at 5 degrees Libra, it will take 25 years before your progressed sun reaches Scorpio, and at that time you'll begin to take on the qualities of Scorpio - for the next 30 years. But if you were born at 29 degrees Libra, your progressed sun moves into Scorpio when you are a year old, so naturally you will develop more Scorpion qualities than Libran.

This change of signs through progression is also a big turning point in your life, so those of you who know what degree your natal sun was can work out at what age you had - or will have - a turning point.

I hope this makes sense to those who aren't astrologers, and if not feel free to ask me to explain in more detail.

2. The other important point about cusps is that, as an astrologer and teacher of astrology, I have found that people born on cusps usually have more challenging lives than those born from 5 degrees to 25 degrees in the sign. I suspect this is a level of karma incoming souls take on, and am in awe of those souls who choose a cusp birth because it indicates strength and courage to accept a challenging lifetime.
Iam born Libra but when my sun progressed into scorpio I felt that I got pulled "into deep dark water" and that stayed with me so far. My personality changed quite a bit to scorpio but I still have the Libra in me as well. I kind of have both now. So I totally agree with you.
Iam really looking forward to the change of my progressed sun into sagittarius in 2 years time. I want to have more of a feeling of lightness in my life.
So far I didn't feel the change of the progressed moon very much, alhought there is no doubt of my venus changing signs.

terrence66
01-12-2010, 06:00 AM
cusp is when the date is in in between 2 signs between say scorpio and the next sign...In astrology the word cusp refers to the last and first degrees of the various zodiacal signs. If you were born on the last day of Gemini you would be on the cusp of Cancer and if you were born on the first day of Cancer you would be on the cusp of Gemini. This means that the attributes of the sign picks up some of the attributes of its follower or its predecessor.

SandybytheSea
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Soulsearcher (fellow Libran):smile:
My natal sun is 5 degrees Libra, so it took 26 years before it progressed into Scorpio (1972). I, too, found myself in a dark place initially. I attracted much secrecy and betrayal into my life. I admit I became slightly paranoid and possessive for a short time until I worked through it and started to adjust to the energy, then I used it to do a lot of research, particularly into metaphysical subjects, and gather possessions that had never been of importance to me before.

Thirty years later (2002) my sun rolled into Saggittarius and it was like a breath of fresh air. I noticed people coming into my life who were more adventurous, more outspoken and jolly, and I became far more relaxed about life, more able to let go of old hurts (and money, lol - I also became a bit of a spendthrift, I confess). The energy of Scorpio was still part of what I was becoming, and naturally the Libran energy was also very much part of me, but now I was 3 dimensional! Now I can understand and utilise Libran balance, Scorpio intensity and Saggitarian freedom into my life. When we've only experienced one sign, we only know one way, and that's probably as it should be - we need the experience of life and 2 or 3 sun signs to learn how to be everything we can be!

As for the moon's progression, I agree that they can be very subtle, as the moon changes signs every 2nd or 3rd year and usually effects our emotional responses, so it's not easy to keep track of it unless it aspects a natal or progressed point or is aspected by a transiting planet. But when that happens, it CAN pack a wallop! Watch for progressed full and new moons and eclipses, too - something important usually happens when they occur.

Soulsearcher13
01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Hi SandybytheSea:smile:,

Iam 16 degree Libra and my progressed sun went into scorpio in 1982. In that year I had the first death in my family and a lifelong journey into religion, metaphysics, esoteric etc. started. I also got more in contact with my unhealed emotions since that time. I think I became a much deeper person with this scorpio influence. Still Iam really looking forward to the next step into Saggittarius.
It's quite amazing to recognize the changing of the progressed AC as well. When it went into Aquarius my thinking opened up and I didn't bother about the "should and should not" of ordinary lifestyles anymore so much. Last year it went into Pisces and I changed again. I got involved with astrology and it has become quite an obsession from that time on. Also my perception of the spiritworld opened up even more and I do recognize spirits much better nowadays.
I agree about the importance of progressed full moon and new moon. In the month of the last progressed new moon my father got leucaemia-at least it got discovered during that time. It's a slow version and he got it since 7 years now. So the new moon brought a new life to him.
Iam just beginning to pay attention to the aspects of the progressed moon to natal or progressed planets. Iam shure they are important.
Have you checked the connection between the progressed moon and lilith?
I found that there is usually something nasty happening.
For instance there is a german politician who survived an shooting attack on him and there was progressed moon in an exact square to natal lilith. This year he had to go to hospital again for some treatment of the shooting that happened 20 years ago and the progressed moon was in an exact conjunction with natal lilith.
Astrology is just amazing.

Perinelle
06-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I found out a couple years ago that I'm a libra/scorpio cusp. I was born on October 22 and honestly, recently I've been feeling as if I have a darker side to me. I just feel meaner, more critical, things of that nature. I am nice to everyone I meet but it feels like I have a strange amount of rage at times for someone who is so calm on the outside. I feel like when I was in my teens (wasn't long ago) that I was much more relaxed. Soulsearcher seems to have felt the same way.

I thought I read somewhere that Libra/Scorpio is one of the most intense signs because we're a mix of a very laid back sign and very war-like sign. It's funny because sometimes it feels like I'm living with a split personality, haha.

Calypso_Storm
06-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Everything I've read about cusps is that a cusp is five days before and after so if someone is born between the 18th and 23rd of October then they are on the Libra/Scorpio cusp. Even this book (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chapters.indigo.ca %2Fbooks%2FOnly-Astrology-Book-Youll-Ever-Joanna-Martine-Woolfolk%2F9781589793774-item.html%3Fikwid%3Dthe%2Bonly%2Bastrology%2Bbook% 2Byou%2527ll%2Bever%2Bneed%26amp%3Bikwsec%3DHome) mentions that. I had never heard of a cusp only being two or three days from the beginning or end until I started this thread.

Since Soulsearcher13 mentioned it, I have to ask even if it is a bit off topic. What exactly is Lilith? I've read about her in various mythologies but what is it in regards to astrology?

spriteberry
01-12-2015, 06:51 AM
Iam born Libra but when my sun progressed into scorpio I felt that I got pulled "into deep dark water" and that stayed with me so far. My personality changed quite a bit to scorpio but I still have the Libra in me as well. I kind of have both now. So I totally agree with you.
Iam really looking forward to the change of my progressed sun into sagittarius in 2 years time. I want to have more of a feeling of lightness in my life.
So far I didn't feel the change of the progressed moon very much, alhought there is no doubt of my venus changing signs.

I am born as a libra Sun in anaretic 29 degrees, I had a hard childhood and career as a young adult. By the time my progress sun made its run through lovely Scorpio and entered Saggitarius on my 31st year...I went into depression and severe social anxiety. Now nine years later... I'm surely making every effort and using every ounce of my elbow grease climbing my way out of this dark slithering pit...looking forward to blue skies atop this manhole.. fingercrossed...if Saggitarius is suppose to be fun loving and light hearted...I really really am hoping to drench "DRENCH" myself in some of that...sigh...

Treehugger
01-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I was born on May 21st on the cusp of Taurus and Gemini. Most (not all) Zodiac charts had me as Gemini so that is what I thought my sun sign was. When I did my natal chart from several different sources, they all had me as Taurus, so I am, without a doubt, a Taurus. I was born at 12:43 PM and the move to Gemini did not occur until after 3:00 PM that day.

Gemini is an air sign but I've always felt "earthy." Taurus is earth, so that kind of sealed it for me.

I do feel some traits of Gemini, but I also feel the traits of my moon sign and ascendant sign too.

Native spirit
02-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Im not a believer of astrology but I was born on the cusp of piscies and aries had my brother not died I would have been born in piscies feb,but just as I was making my way into the world my brother drowned and died.that stopped the contractions and my mother carried me for another month.i was born right on the cusp of both signs so im told. but as I say im not a believer of astrology

Namaste