PDA

View Full Version : Do Animals know the Difference between a Female & Male Human ?

girlsearching
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
I just want to know if say for example if a guy owned a cat does the cat know that their owner is a male too. ? Do Animals sense if their owners are one gender or the other. I think they can know by voice type or smell what are your opinions .?

knightofalbion
03-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Yes. Just body scent alone is enough.
We humans don't appreciate the role the sense of smell plays in an animal's life

knightofalbion
03-05-2014, 12:12 PM
And they probably know what you're thinking too ....

sarek
03-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Its been tested in Dutch research that mice are more scared of men than they are of women, so they at least can clearly distinguish.

linen53
03-05-2014, 07:57 PM
I have a dog, or should I say my husband has a dog. It is a he. He is very rude and male chauvinistic towards females and loves hanging around men.

He goosed one of my female friends in the butt with his nose once and turned and walked away and another time went up to another female friends' water bottle, hoisted his leg and peed on it.

He doesn't like me and I don't like him.

His karma? I have two female Maremma livestock guardian dogs who rule him.

So yes, at least this dog knows the difference.

girlsearching
03-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Yes. Just body scent alone is enough.
We humans don't appreciate the role the sense of smell plays in an animal's life

Thanks knightofalbion we could learn a lot from animals. but we as humans have this superiority complex were we think we are above them. I have always found when animals of different species interacting with each other to be beautiful I watch on Animal Planet and National Geographic about friendships being made with animals.

girlsearching
03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Its been tested in Dutch research that mice are more scared of men than they are of women, so they at least can clearly distinguish.

Wow that's interesting seeing as though women sure don't like mice all that much lol. EEK EEK it's a mouse.

Djurplagare89
03-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I have a dog, or should I say my husband has a dog. It is a he. He is very rude and male chauvinistic towards females and loves hanging around men.

He goosed one of my female friends in the butt with his nose once and turned and walked away and another time went up to another female friends' water bottle, hoisted his leg and peed on it.

He doesn't like me and I don't like him.

His karma? I have two female Maremma livestock guardian dogs who rule him.

So yes, at least this dog knows the difference.

Thats one rude dog. Sounds like a male politician in dogs shape. :tongue:

linen53
03-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I have never seen or had a dog like him before. We got him when he was 2 years old. He was a rescue and I picked him out! But that's okay my husband adores him.

Dante1709
03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
I'm not quite sure ; sex and gender are both very complicated things. Gender identity is what someone identifies as ; their gender expression, their qualities, who they associate with, and their preferred pronouns. Gender includes man, woman, and a large umbrella of genderqueer identities. Animals can observe the "typical" behaviours of gender within the binary, but genderqueer individuals aren't likely to be identified by animals.

Sex is biological sex..it's determined by your genitalia,my our reproductive system and your chromosomes and maybe hormones. However, some people are both with ambiguous genitalia resulting in a term called "intersex". It's very possible to have male genitalia, but female chromosomes, or female genitalia with male organs inside. You might even have the wrong sex ; unless you've gotten chromosome tests, it's impossible to know. Sex is a very complicated thing, but I feel as if animals can distinguish between the main sexes using pheromones.

Sorry for getting all technical ; I just think gender and sex are too commonly interchanged, and many people aren't aware of how complicated they both are.

NightPrincess
03-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Yes they know.

girlsearching
04-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I have never seen or had a dog like him before. We got him when he was 2 years old. He was a rescue and I picked him out! But that's okay my husband adores him.

linen
I'm sorry your husband's dog doesn't seem to like you. Do think because he was a rescue when he was puppy maybe his previous owner was a female and mistreated him maybe. ? I think you can still win him over if you wanted to animals can be forgiving.

girlsearching
04-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm not quite sure ; sex and gender are both very complicated things. Gender identity is what someone identifies as ; their gender expression, their qualities, who they associate with, and their preferred pronouns. Gender includes man, woman, and a large umbrella of genderqueer identities. Animals can observe the "typical" behaviours of gender within the binary, but genderqueer individuals aren't likely to be identified by animals.

Sex is biological sex..it's determined by your genitalia,my our reproductive system and your chromosomes and maybe hormones. However, some people are both with ambiguous genitalia resulting in a term called "intersex". It's very possible to have male genitalia, but female chromosomes, or female genitalia with male organs inside. You might even have the wrong sex ; unless you've gotten chromosome tests, it's impossible to know. Sex is a very complicated thing, but I feel as if animals can distinguish between the main sexes using pheromones.

Sorry for getting all technical ; I just think gender and sex are too commonly interchanged, and many people aren't aware of how complicated they both are.

Dante1709
Do you think that Animals tell can using Pheromones ?

linen53
04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
linen
I'm sorry your husband's dog doesn't seem to like you. Do think because he was a rescue when he was puppy maybe his previous owner was a female and mistreated him maybe. ? I think you can still win him over if you wanted to animals can be forgiving.

All due respect but he was a man's dog before we got him and his rudeness and expectations (male chauvinistic) can take a hike. He adores my husband and every man who enters our property and I and he are just fine with that.

Thank you for your thoughts, just felt I had to clarify:D

Dante1709
04-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Dante1709
Do you think that Animals tell can using Pheromones ?
Yes, various studies have shown that animals (and sometimes humans) are capable of smelling pheromones to decipher one's sex. Animals (snakes and mammals in particular) can also smell the scent of menstruation, which can also distinguish between the biological sexes.

girlsearching
08-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Yes, various studies have shown that animals (and sometimes humans) are capable of smelling pheromones to decipher one's sex. Animals (snakes and mammals in particular) can also smell the scent of menstruation, which can also distinguish between the biological sexes.

I knew the part about how animals can sense when a women is on her menstrual cycle . I find it very weird and it seems they act calmer or go crazy around you. My Mother's friend was the one who actually told me this she said she grew up on a farm and the horses would start neighing whenever she would enter the barn stable. She would wonder why they would act that way and her father was like well they know when your,... you know time of the month is. I just find it creepy I like animals in general and they can tell if people are animal people. but I wish I was a guy because they don't have this problem.

girlsearching
08-05-2014, 03:10 AM
All due respect but he was a man's dog before we got him and his rudeness and expectations (male chauvinistic) can take a hike. He adores my husband and every man who enters our property and I and he are just fine with that.

Thank you for your thoughts, just felt I had to clarify:D

Okay that's interesting. I grew up with both male and female rottweilers both were brother and sister named Bone and Ebony . They liked me and when I was a toddler I used to ride on either of their backs like a horse . I hope the dog is nice at least to little babies or kids of both genders. I never encountered a sexiest animal before .