PDA

View Full Version : Metal and Dark Music

Spirited
21-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions. :smile:

Spirited :hug3:

Silver
21-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Hmm, I never gave it much thought really.
I like a wide variety of music, so I don't get bogged down with the same type all the time. I've always liked anything you can dance to mainly.

I think too much of anything can be depressing and dampening of a good mood and attitude.

Perspective
22-11-2010, 02:17 AM
The only time I've liked "hard" music - was when I went through a rebellious stage as a teen & when I'm in a bad mood (which incidentally is at the moment)... It helps to empathize with my feelings but then I soon prefer something more happy, like you mentioned.

Just the other day, I heard about an experiment with water crystals & plants... after being exposed to heavy metal music, the plants didn't do as well & the crystals were significantly different... compared to "happier" music & positivity. Sorry, I don't know the source, but you could google it.

Beethoven actually has some good music, IMO, to empathize with anger & then bring me back to a more peaceful place/feeling... esp. 9th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M

Sangress
22-11-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm an avid metal fan. I love the strength and passionate emotions and raw truth expressed in that music.

I've always found that it heightens my mood, rather than lowering it.

Though I do find listening to bands that are too similar, the same bands....etc to be a bit of a drag because it doesn't envoke the same emotions/reactions I usually have to the music. It's basically a killjoy.

I think variety and finding new artists/bands is the key if you want to continue to enjoy music and have positive reactions to it.

As for it being complimentary to a spiritual life....hmm. IMO anything done for leasure changes emotions and emotions colour perceptions. Perceptions are what shape our understanding of spiritual experiences.

So, I think, depending on the individual, Metal music can effect your spiritual perceptions if you are listning, or thinking of it, while thinking about or performing spiritual actions.

Though I do have one question....why is it considered to be "Dark" music?

Spirited
22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
The only time I've liked "hard" music - was when I went through a rebellious stage as a teen & when I'm in a bad mood (which incidentally is at the moment)... It helps to empathize with my feelings but then I soon prefer something more happy, like you mentioned.

Just the other day, I heard about an experiment with water crystals & plants... after being exposed to heavy metal music, the plants didn't do as well & the crystals were significantly different... compared to "happier" music & positivity. Sorry, I don't know the source, but you could google it.

Beethoven actually has some good music, IMO, to empathize with anger & then bring me back to a more peaceful place/feeling... esp. 9th...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3DYAOTCtW9v0M)

That experiment sounds interesting I'll certainly look it up. I will listen to that link in a bit - thanks for sharing! I agree with what you said about your mood seemingly determine what you listened to, I've found that to be the case with me also.

I'm an avid metal fan. I love the strength and passionate emotions and raw truth expressed in that music.

Though I do find listening to bands that are too similar, the same bands....etc to be a bit of a drag because it doesn't envoke the same emotions/reactions I usually have to the music. It's basically a killjoy.

I think variety and finding new artists/bands is the key if you want to continue to enjoy music and have positive reactions to it.

As for it being complimentary to a spiritual life....hmm. IMO anything done for leasure changes emotions and emotions colour perceptions. Perceptions are what shape our understanding of spiritual experiences.

So, I think, depending on the individual, Metal music can effect your spiritual perceptions if you are listning, or thinking of it, while thinking about or performing spiritual actions.

I agree with that, good post - always interesting to see others opinions.

I don't consider it to be "Dark" myself, but I referenced that as many other forums I have seen this discussion on have had many users (mainly Christian) saying how Metal is "Dark" despite of the lyrics. Not that I agree with that though. I think they refer to artists such as Marilyn Manson maybe who would seem to be Satanist or into Devil worship maybe. Not sure! Not my views though. :smile:

norseman
22-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Not much of a fan of "new" metal but I do still go with Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Motorhead, Zep, and the like - but mostly in the car. Despite being "apparently" spiritual, the beast still comes out in my Beemer with the stereo cranked high. Lately tho, a new element has come in with Inkubus Sukkubus - good Brit Witchy rock !
As you may have gathered, I am an embarassment to my daughter. I just tell her that I have reached the age of Irresponsibility .

Gracey
22-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions. :smile:

i have gone throught the same thing recently. use to love heavy metal, now it makes me feel yucky and i now prefer indian flute music or any calm music with out words. i think i finally got out of my rebelious stage. smile.

Deusdrum
22-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Maiden is one of my favourite bands. Like some Metallica. Sepultura in small doses, newer Tool, earlier Nightwish, Monster Magnet, Sabbath was good but don't listen to it that often. Liked Guns n Roses like everyone else at the time.. but yeah. I agree with many of the above, it was sort of a phase. Lately i've been into downtempo electronica, and mellower, more uplifting kinds of music.

I will listen to Maiden sometimes still. It depends on my mood. I can't listen to metal for too long though at a time. But that is just me.

Have gotten into some really good drum n bass, which i sometimes think of as the heavy metal of electronic music lol especially some of the grimier whoppier stuff which i can also only handle so much of.

I think a big part of it has to do with harmony. I need a melody of some sort not just repetitive violent thrashing sounds. Like a bit of harmony with the rhythm, something little more subtle and soothing sometimes.

Sungirl
22-11-2010, 09:34 PM
I posted a similar thread before the crash.

I too listen to heavy metal (along with lots of other genres)

I think it depends on the music. I realised about 18 months ago that a lot of what I call "emo music" (My Dying Bride, Bullet for my Valentine etc) has chords in it that actually brings my mood down.

I will say, I know very little about the technical side of music.. that's my soul sis's forte... but she did say that "minor chords" are the ones that are used in music that expresses sadness.. and if you listen to the emo music there is a lot of this.. this means that in listening to it your mood is lowered.. made me wonder if all these kids that are self harming and in a mess are actually making it worse by listening to this stuff.

Paradoxically the heavier faster stuff (Disturbed, SiOL etc) has more upbeat chords and actually enlivens me. When I come out of a "wallowing so much I can't listen to music" phase I find this stuff cheers me up.

I also think it depends on the lyrics.. I like lyrics that aren't connected to emotions.. bands like Monster Magnet and Terrorvision write very random music, about aliens or funny stuff.. this is going to help my mood much more than listening to songs about death and hate.

Proof of this (to me anyway) is the english folk genre... when I was in a bad place I listened to Kate Rusby a LOT.. it's all about unrequited love, lovers that couldn't be together, cheating lovers, lovers dying... all that stuff, and I loved it... when I was in a happier place I found that listening to it just made me feel worse... and not an electric instrument in sight!!!!

I also, personally dislike "empty music".. songs about love that have just been churned out because they sell... they could sound high vibrational, and have lovely sentiments but because the intention when they were written was "just write another love song" they are totally ineffectual.

Another interesting example is a band called Ministry.... they are an industrial band and in their time considered VERY heavy and VERY dark sounding.. but they were writing about environmental issues, human rights, how the american government were getting it soo wrong. It sounded very bad, but it was actually quite important stuff they were saying.

So, yes.. I think there is an energy to music that can affect us... but I don't think that any one genre can be said to have a negative effect. I used to worry about what I listenend to when.... now I listen to what I like but be aware of whether it is having a negative effect on me at that time.

An interesting note is, I have an 8Gb mp3 player with about 1400 tracks on it and I play them on random... they range from pure folk to industrial through some silly stuff, pop, metal, goth, techno (and if I could fit it on baroque classical too) and I swear it knows what mood I am in... it has no special programmes that group songs together but at times it will play mellow stuff when I need to chill and will play mental stuff when I need to bounce!!!!

Sungirl
22-11-2010, 09:42 PM
Maiden is one of my favourite bands. Like some Metallica. Sepultura in small doses, newer Tool, earlier Nightwish, Monster Magnet, Sabbath was good but don't listen to it that often. Liked Guns n Roses like everyone else at the time.. but yeah. I agree with many of the above, it was sort of a phase. Lately i've been into downtempo electronica, and mellower, more uplifting kinds of music.

I will listen to Maiden sometimes still. It depends on my mood. I can't listen to metal for too long though at a time. But that is just me.

Have gotten into some really good drum n bass, which i sometimes think of as the heavy metal of electronic music lol especially some of the grimier whoppier stuff which i can also only handle so much of.

Can you maybe recomend some D&B? I love Prodigy but also love Metallica (And Justice) Tool (10000 Days), Monster Magnet (saw them saturday.. love the 3 albums before Megalithic Baby), Sepultura (Arise).... I have a feeling I would like D&B if only I could find some that actually has some real drums and some base... not high pitched fast winy stuff!

SunSister
22-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I love metal and rock and psychedelic stuff. :smile: I must admit to being partial to bands with female opera-like singers (Nightwish, Epica, you name it) and I have a huge love of bands that incorporate classic music in their work (Therion, Haggard, Apocalyptica). Many of these bands have connections with mythology, new age, history, religion etc. in their lyrics. I feel at peace when I listen to it.

The only metal I cannot stand is the so-called black metal, because that makes me sick to my stomach. It is far too dark and negative for my liking. :smile: Metal should be offering notes of criticism concerning everyday life and society, incorporating values from many sources and wholly eclectic in the use of instruments and voices. As long as it has that, we're good..

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Can you maybe recomend some D&B? I love Prodigy but also love Metallica (And Justice) Tool (10000 Days), Monster Magnet (saw them saturday.. love the 3 albums before Megalithic Baby), Sepultura (Arise).... I have a feeling I would like D&B if only I could find some that actually has some real drums and some base... not high pitched fast winy stuff!
I most certainly can *rubs hands together*

You may not like some of these, but here are some to check out or whatever on youtube, go from there.

I like the early Roni Size (not for everyone maybe) especially the album 'In the Mode' though i heard 'Reprazent' first and really liked it, was given it by highschool friend (another highschool friend gave me DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing' cause he didn't like it lol, it's not drum and bass, but i find it crazy that anyone would give that album away, this was before burnt cd's and internet downloads, anyways..)

Love London Elektricity, at least there 'Power Ballads' album quite a bit. Andy C - Nightlife series, apparently #2 is really good, i got 5 the other day and really love it, some of it isn't too special but there's like close to 40 songs and 2 continuous mixes if you get it from itunes, the longer continous mix is phenomenal.

For bit heavier darker stuff; Noisia. Dirty and Grimy, pretty bangin.

Not crazy about the new pendulum, actually don't like it besides one track or so, and get sick of it easily. It's on the emo rock side, not my style but like a track or two from it, if you are into pendulum, probably 'Hold Your Colour' their first one is the way to go. Maybe i am being snobbish though, haven't listened to it much, besides a couple tracks. not hating on anyone or anything lol

the Freestylers did Fabric Live 19 i believe it was, and my friend and i have listened to that one into the ground verrry good. There other stuff i find little too on the pop side. High Contrast is hit or miss for me, but has some really good material also in my opinion.

Sub Focus, prefer his older stuff. Culture Shock is one that ive come across lately with some really deadly material, highly recommended.

You may have heard of lot's of these, im not that well versed in the genre, so i'm still discovering stuff, ones i've mentioned are pretty mainstream.

DJ Craze maybe.. great DJ the album i have of his is alright i guess,

Commix you might like. Actually, 'Return to V' is any Roni Size album that went through the listening rotation for awhile.

Sometimes i will love some stuff by a producer but absolutely hate other stuff. My friend played me an Andy C mix, and i found it annoying and couldn't stand it, but the CD i have is some of the best i've heard in awhile.

Black Sun Empire, Evol Intent, Dieselboy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB4jvQsv6oM (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.youtube.com%2525 2Fwatch%25253Fv%25253DdB4jvQsv6oM) (culture shock track that i love)

Oooh oh ya, The Qemists 'Join the Q' is pretty good, it has a track with Mike Patton (from 'Faith No More') that i like a lot.

Kamo and Crooked, few of their tracks i've heard and liked.. Hive is good group. Ed Rush and Optical also.

All i can think of lol hope this points you in some promising directions.

P.E.A.C.E. ~

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 03:09 AM
I also, personally dislike "empty music".. songs about love that have just been churned out because they sell... they could sound high vibrational, and have lovely sentiments but because the intention when they were written was "just write another love song" they are totally ineffectual.

Another interesting example is a band called Ministry.... they are an industrial band and in their time considered VERY heavy and VERY dark sounding.. but they were writing about environmental issues, human rights, how the american government were getting it soo wrong. It sounded very bad, but it was actually quite important stuff they were saying.

I forgot about Ministry. Have an album of theirs around somewhere i think. I loved that one Bob Dylan cover they did.

Also listen to KMFDM periodically, WW3 was good pump up tune. Good kind of revolutionary/anti government-establishment music. Forgot about industrial music almost.

I completely agree with you on the overly emo music also, i feel like it encourages kids or whoever to feel sorry for themselves, too sentimental, and influences one's mood, especially those prone to depression and apathy already.

SunSister - you mentioned dark metal, or death metal.. yeah personally not a fan. Knew couple guys in highschool who were into heavy crazy death metal. To each their own i guess. Was watching a documentary death metal last year sometime, and their is this group in the Netherlands or somewhere that went around burning down churches :rolleyes: that's taking yourself way too seriously in my opinion. Stuff like Cannibal Corpse i can stand for about 14 seconds, then it becomes too much lol.

An album that i would consider on the dark side, it is break beat/ big beat with sort of punk mentality that i listened to a ton is 'How to Operate with a Blown Mind' by the Lo - Fidelity Allstars. I listen to this sometimes when i am in an angry/somewhat dark mood, and it fits like a glove.

I think with any dark music, there is a fine line between being comforted and dwelling upon the feeling for too long.

I used to listen to 'Downward Spiral' quite a bit for awhile, now i do not listen to any Nine Inch Nails ever. It's not that i don't think Reznor is a bad musician or anything, but just find the influence quite contrary to what im going for lately. Plus downward spiral i later learnt was recorded in the house where the Tate murder took place, so there is no way i can support that in any sense of the word.

from wikipedia;

To record the album, Reznor rented the house located at 10050 Cielo Drive (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2F10050_Cielo_Drive) in Beverly Hills, California (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FBeverly_Hills%2C_California) where actress Sharon Tate (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FSharon_Tate) was murdered by members of the Manson Family (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FManson_Family) in 1969. Reznor built a studio space in the house which he named Le Pig, after the message that was scrawled on the front door with Tate's blood by her murderers. Reznor told Entertainment Weekly that despite the notoriety attached to the house, he chose to record there because, "I looked at a lot of places, and this just happened to be the one I liked most." Reznor moved out of the house in December 1993, after he said "there was too much history in that house for me to handle." After the album's recording, Reznor moved out and the house was demolished shortly thereafter.[8] (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FThe_Downward_Spiral%23cite_note-7) Reznor made a statement about working in the Tate house during a 1997 interview with Rolling Stone: While I was working on Downward Spiral, I was living in the house where Sharon Tate was killed. Then one day I met her sister. It was a random thing, just a brief encounter. And she said: 'Are you exploiting my sister's death by living in her house?' For the first time, the whole thing kind of slapped me in the face. I said, 'No, it's just sort of my own interest in American folklore. I'm in this place where a weird part of history occurred.' I guess it never really struck me before, but it did then. She lost her sister from a senseless, ignorant situation that I don't want to support. When she was talking to me, I realized for the first time, 'What if it was my sister?' I thought, ' *bleep* Charlie Manson (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FCharles_Manson).' I went home and cried that night. It made me see there's another side to things, you know?[9] (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwik i%2FThe_Downward_Spiral%23cite_note-SharTH-8)

Make of that what you will..

There is another whole area of dark music, namely, hip hop, that hasn't been addressed yet. Would be curious to hear opinions on that as well. Some great though dark, hip hop out there. Whole big boatload of controversy lol if anyone wishes to go there.

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 03:24 AM
actually come to think of it, DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing' is a great example of 'good' dark instrumental hip hop. Noisia and Black Sun Empire example of good dark drum n bass.

mahakali
23-11-2010, 04:10 AM
i used to be a metal head. soulfly, white zombie, otep, and red chord were some of my favs but i grew bord of it. i like stuff like quantic and spongle and indie rap like el-p and lightheaded. metal just is not poetic and deep enough. its a bit repetitive. im really extreme with my music though, i dont like many things, it has to be mind blowing for me to rock it out.
if you love metal heres the metal of underground hip hop. some el-p lyrics, this guys a mad genius:

Everything must go

I wanna sell you the dream
I wanna watch you come apart at the seams

Excuse me, little child, why the devious smile?
Well, I've become what I've forsaken and the irony's wild
Are you in charge of this outfit? Nah, not me, cousin
I wrestle with distinction from the chompers of a buzzard

Horse hooves and meat i'm glued to the beat grindin'
Stolen hovercraft draggin' a bass stab behind it
Every little phrase is designed for y'all to rewind it
Every brittle phase has an expiration assignment

See cop smile, peep cops gun
Now see little juvenile me in Reeboks run
Through the projected transformation of the catacombs, son
Makin' it home's so fun

If you're alone, don't sweat 'cause you're alone with the best
The underrated phrase mason who's leakin' pain to cassette
If you hate lies, don't fret 'cause I can't lie about this
At least I'm honest when I tell you that my mind's full of $#*+
(mods don't kill me please)

SunSister
23-11-2010, 09:21 AM
SunSister - you mentioned dark metal, or death metal.. yeah personally not a fan. Knew couple guys in highschool who were into heavy crazy death metal. To each their own i guess. Was watching a documentary death metal last year sometime, and their is this group in the Netherlands or somewhere that went around burning down churches :rolleyes: that's taking yourself way too seriously in my opinion. Stuff like Cannibal Corpse i can stand for about 14 seconds, then it becomes too much lol.

That wasn't in my country, but happened mostly in Norway. :smile: The ones that go around burning down churches are usually connected with black metal, which is (in my opinion) much worse than anything death metal can throw at you. I do listen to death metal every once in a while, but although it is not a favourite it doesn't make me feel sick either. Black metal, on the other hand, has built up a pretty bad name for itself over the years. There have been murders, church burnings, suicides (one of which was depicted on the cover of a black metal album), national socialism, cases of insanity and so on and so forth connected with this particular stream within metal music.

Some take themselves far too seriously. Others take it as a big joke. Whatever it is, though.. it's not something I want to spend my energy on/with. Death metal might have the icky death-name, but black metal has the deeds to show for it.

psychoslice
23-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Gee, I like Marilyn Manson and Eminem, AC/DC, it doesn't bother my spiritual side at all, I think in some ways it enhancers it, but that's me.:smile: :D

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 11:02 AM
El-p is good for sure. Have 'Cannibal Ox' which is what i would consider dark hip-hop. Or cLOUDDEAD which is pretty good in parts, think he is on that as well.

Not a huge fan of some of El-p's flows; some of the more on point lyricists that fall on the darker side, imo, would be Jedi Mind Tricks, Styles of Beyond, Immortal Technique, Vinnie Paz, the first Swollen Members album. I don't listen to any of these guys much anymore, but lyrically they are sickly insane. I love El-p's production though, some really good stuff. Unique, original. He is pioneer of sorts, one of the few doing his own thing, gotta respect that. And his lyrics are fitting to his style. He sort of reminds me of MF Doom or Kool Keith in that his flow is unorthodox. Or Aesop Rock (who is better lyricist IMO) in that the weirdness sort of stumbles out overtop itself in the delivery or something.

Odd Nosdam album 'Burner' is kind of dark, or just unsettling and weird, but good.

Far as other dark hip hop; Like a lot of DJ Spooky's stuff. Gravediggaz - '6 Feet Deep' lot's of early Wu-tang in fact, mainly GZA's Liquid Swords of course, First Method Man album (only one i liked) first Ol' Dirty as well.

One of the more in your face aggressive lyricists (RIP) was Eyedea. Insane flow. Out of Minnesota.

Canibus, like him or not, is a sick lyricist, angry, dark, spits about many metaphysical subjects. He looks like an alien to me as well lol. One of the best, for sure. Don't listen to him much, but must give respect where due. On point.

DMX also. both are too dark personally for my tastes for listening to anymore most of the time, though i have an album from each, but if we are talking bout 'dark' they should be included in the discussion. Then there is Eminem..

The Mars Volta is another band that i like. Not sure if they are dark, but can be pretty heavy. They are kind of emo i guess, but in a good way IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16-LoZRFVo&feature=related (for example)

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 11:13 AM
That wasn't in my country, but happened mostly in Norway. :smile: The ones that go around burning down churches are usually connected with black metal, which is (in my opinion) much worse than anything death metal can throw at you. I do listen to death metal every once in a while, but although it is not a favourite it doesn't make me feel sick either. Black metal, on the other hand, has built up a pretty bad name for itself over the years. There have been murders, church burnings, suicides (one of which was depicted on the cover of a black metal album), national socialism, cases of insanity and so on and so forth connected with this particular stream within metal music.

Some take themselves far too seriously. Others take it as a big joke. Whatever it is, though.. it's not something I want to spend my energy on/with. Death metal might have the icky death-name, but black metal has the deeds to show for it.

wasn't aware that there was a distinction between death metal and black metal.. actually wasn't aware there was a genre called black metal at all. Some of those nordic countries really love there metal. I can barely stand death metal, black metal though is a whole nother level of wrong, by the sounds of it. I like Nightwish a lot, with the first singer anyways.

Deusdrum
23-11-2010, 12:29 PM
I heard this from the Sway and Tech album, and it blew my mind. It was the Canibus verse in a freestyle... let me repeat *freestyle*

There are very few if any that could come up with anything that even comes close to this if they took a lifetime to write it, in my opinion.

Yo, I'm a nuclear warhead
Right now you're provokin my detonation
Never test me without proper authorization
My lack of patience has cause me to get mad
And explode right in front of your face like a airbag
Your rhyme is fake, your brain is child's play to manipulate
I create lyrics too intricate to imitate
Movin at a velocity
That'll break your stop-watch if you're clockin me
My concrete jungle is like Jumanji
But iller than what you seen in the cinema
A five foot eight ___ wit more horsepower than twelve cylinders
My brain consists of twin pentium chips
That's double the clock speeds of a 5-86
And nuttin about my physical matrix is basic
I kick flavor beyond what your tongue is capable of tastin
You'll be so surprised you won't believe your own eyes
It's like explainin color to a man that was born blind
One of a kind, I got divine chromosomes in me
My sperm'll scramble the eggs in a women's ovaries
Cuz I'm as original as it gets
And I can't respect, ____ that copy like double-decks
I get vexed, when crab punks bite my style
Cuz I'm sellin a thousand records per day, per square mile
Breakin the laws of phsyics, wit metaphors and lyrics
Speakin to dead poets by conjuring up they spirits
From Shakespeare to Edgar Allen
Yo, the whole Dead Poets Society couldn't mess around wit the talent
Much less understand it
I make type-rope walkers in the circus
lose they balance when I kick the planet

ok, i need to step away from this thread now, lol ikeep coming back obsessively. Time for sleep.

mahakali
23-11-2010, 04:56 PM
cool ill check it out, ya know i felt the same way about el-p but the rimes do make sense after a few times. the way he flows, rimes, the lyrics, and the beats are very esoteric and the words have Frost like depth. the sentience's rime long and sometime with every other sentience with a flow within a flow that goes just off beat making a chunky beat even chunkier if that makes sense. nothing does it for me like el-p does. its my fav.it didn't make sense at first and made me uncomfortable to even listen to but now it makes my heart jump out of my chest every time no matter how many times i hear it and the lyrics cant possible make sense all the way. true poetry. the new album makes more sense than the last one you should hear no kings, the meanest things, run the numbers, and emg. http://www.mixpod.com/playlist/69454841 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.mixpod.com%25252 Fplaylist%25252F69454841)

oh yeah and dont forget about Jurassic 5 and Del the funk fiend lol

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, he's an alright lyricist, it fits his style, just not my favourite. As for production, and his sound, he's expanding the parameters of hip hop, in my opinion, but even besides that, very rich captivating sound. Can tell he's passionate about music. Little too dramatic at times for me. It is very good though, IMO. I usually find something i don't like about everyone i do like lol. Haven't heard new El-p album. You may like the Killah Priest DJ Spooky colaboration, or DJ Spooky and J-Live. I like Spooky cause he does off the wall, creative stuff. Not afraid to mix it up. On the darker and psychedelic side also.

Quannum is one of my favourites; Gift of Gab, Lateef, Lyrics Born, etc. (El-p is on a track with them actually on Quannum Spectrum album) Old Rakim. One of my favourites IMO is K-Os, out of Toronto; like him more on the rhythm/vibe/harmony level than rhymes also, but he is competent lyricist.

Apologize for hijacking thread here, (if that's what we did) trying to keep it on topic, there is definitely some hip hop out there that falls into category of 'dark music' lots out there these days that rap about reptilians, aliens, 2012.. etc. etc. Especially lately.

Even new Gift of Gab - 'Escape to Mars'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hoXdMdYoJ4 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3D1hoXdMdYoJ4)

Gem
24-11-2010, 01:33 AM
How did that rap nonsence get on this hardcore metal thread?

Of course most metal is all attitude and no skill so I go for the hard rock music and leave the inane metal to the young ones. The thing is rocking is a fine art, and alot of bands just draw stick men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSgiCfdVpQ&feature=related

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 02:50 AM
How did that rap nonsence get on this hardcore metal thread?

Of course most metal is all attitude and no skill so I go for the hard rock music and leave the inane metal to the young ones. The thing is rocking is a fine art, and alot of bands just draw stick men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmSgiCfdVpQ&feature=related (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.youtube.com%2525252 Fwatch%2525253Fv%2525253DLmSgiCfdVpQ%25252526amp%2 525253Bfeature%2525253Drelated)
Gem - It says metal and Dark Music. There is plenty of hip hop that i would consider 'dark music'. If you are ignorant of a type of music, please don't call it 'nonsence'

if you even read my above post, i did apologize if it went off topic (which i don't think it did really) and did try to keep it on topic.

Feel free to take it in another direction, but please don't insult an art form that i happen to love. You are welcome to you opinion of course, you may not like it, but it is not nonsense. I said my piece already on metal. Not trying to start argument. No big deal. You don't like rap, i get it. That doesn't make it nonsense however.

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 03:04 AM
I would argue in all seriousness that as far as lyrics goes, there are hip hop artists that are beyond any other form of music that i have come across, the good stuff at least, and i listen to any and all forms of music.

It's a shame that so many people think of rap as somehow inferior; i guess we have the radio, MTV, and the music industry in general to blame, as they exploit and potray 'rap' as all about money, power, gangsta, sexist garbage that you typically hear on t.v. or the radio. maybe it is a generation thing also in some sense.

Oh well. To each their own.

*edit* I would put King Crimson in there also, as dark, even some of Brian Eno's work has dark sort of edge to it sometimes. I find it dark in a spacey sort of way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzA9l1C2Xg

wow, look at me, im so eclectic lol jk

mahakali
24-11-2010, 04:29 AM
hey mainstream rap sucks thats true imo but just think, it is possible for someone to rap about very very intelligent stuff right? think about it? if its possible than its been done and thats what we are talking about. dont pass judgment this hip hop **** made me throw the metal right in the storage cause rap can express a lot more and unfold with words the greatest meaning, enlightened hip hop artists no freaken kidding! its awesome! not hoes and being gangster or having money. in fact the rap i listen to talks about the shamefulness of **** rap put out by the money hungry media that keeps us dumb and easily controlled they rap about it on every album at least every other song. don't judge dude just don't, its never a good idea to assume that something could only be one way. eminem im sorry its ego filled sold out arrogant blindfolded mainstream like 50 cents or something. comparing him to the poets i listen to is like comparing Jimmy Hendrix with Avril Lavine "well they both play guitars, whats the difference?" big difference my friends big difference, or comparing Kurt Cobain with lady ga ga ''shes such a poet, oh she writes her own songs though" i dont think so.

Gem
24-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Gem - It says metal and Dark Music. There is plenty of hip hop that i would consider 'dark music'. If you are ignorant of a type of music, please don't call it 'nonsence'

if you even read my above post, i did apologize if it went off topic (which i don't think it did really) and did try to keep it on topic.

Feel free to take it in another direction, but please don't insult an art form that i happen to love. You are welcome to you opinion of course, you may not like it, but it is not nonsense. I said my piece already on metal. Not trying to start argument. No big deal. You don't like rap, i get it. That doesn't make it nonsense however.

I have this ability where I can discern what has quality and what is just bunged on.

To be musician... play something and play it for hours a day and maybe in 10 or 15 years you'll actually create something refined and remarkable, but anyone can rap.

Listen to this and see what's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzwqGBLYn0&NR=1

No words needed.

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 05:40 AM
I have this ability where I can discern what has quality and what is just bunged on.

To be musician... play something and play it for hours a day and maybe in 10 or 15 years you'll actually create something refined and remarkable, but anyone can rap.

Listen to this and see what's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQzwqGBLYn0&NR=1 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DbQzwqGBLYn0%2526a mp%253BNR%253D1)

No words needed.
LOL!!!!!! ANYONE can rap eh? You know what? Im not going to argue with you, you do not know anything about hip hop. There is no point. I listen to a wide variety of everything. Anyone can rap? That is such an ignorant and ridiculous comment that i can't continue this conversation when you are so clearly biased in your position. You really think that MC's just pick up a mic and are rap stars? Give me a break. Blood, sweat and tears. For the Love. The best hip hop will often never be heard on any t.v. or radio station unless you look for it.

I have albums that i have listened to hundreds of times over and i STILL hear lyrics that i didn't catch the first few hundred listens. The skill and craft involved is heads and shoulders above any rock i have ever heard in terms of lyricism.

And you know what? Have you ever seen a DJ perform live on turntables? Id like to see you spend 10-15 years with decks and come anywhere close to what guys like Craze and Qbert can do. Im sorry, please don't speak about something you clearly know nothing about. No offense. But that is a fact.

Im done with this thread. You may have the last word is you so please.

P.E.A.C.E. ~

Gem
24-11-2010, 05:44 AM
LOL!!!!!! ANYONE can rap eh? You know what? Im not going to argue with you, you do not know anything about hip hop. There is no point. I listen to a wide variety of everything. Anyone can rap? That is such an ignorant and ridiculous comment that i can't continue this conversation when you are so clearly biased in your position. You really think that MC's just pick up a mic and are rap stars? Give me a break. Blood, sweat and tears. For the Love. The best hip hop will often never be heard on any t.v. or radio station unless you look for it.

I have albums that i have listened to hundreds of times over and i STILL hear lyrics that i didn't catch the first few hundred listens. The skill and craft involved is heads and shoulders above any rock i have ever heard in terms of lyricism.

And you know what? Have you ever seen a DJ perform live on turntables? Id like to see you spend 10-15 years with decks and come anywhere close to what guys like Craze and Qbert can do. Im sorry, please don't speak about something you clearly know nothing about. No offense. But that is a fact.

Im done with this thread. You may have the last word is you so please.

P.E.A.C.E. ~

A singer sings coz they can and a rapper raps coz they can't.

mahakali
24-11-2010, 06:20 AM
yeah i can play a few chords but i played for like 5 months, to the naked ear it sounds good but i wouldn't say im a real musician. now the same goes with rap, shoot any one can write poetry roses are red violets are blue i can sing and i can rap to is nothing compared to (lightheaded lyrics)
Who were you then, who are you to become?
A drink ring distorts the pages,
Helping the heads to swell and the colors to run.

its poetry gem can you not get that? poetry that you can dance to making wonderful even better. playing an instrument is very expressive true and i love and respect that but its a different kind of expression, it doesn't make sense to compare,and no not every one can rap that is a funny thing to say and it shows that you know nothing about it and you feel that you already know the truth about it so that makes it apparent that you are very judgmental. i hated books too but then i found the right author and realized that there not all the same, there's a whole new point of view i can have that changes everything. im not asking you to like it but i am asking you to stop making assumptions and believing them to be true. maybe the culture is not identifiable with you, you dont get it and that makes you hate it, well maybe you just dont understand, or you have been listening to the radio. dont you know that the media is garb? i know it hurts to be lied to but that is what happens, we are a drugged society, we revolve around needing to meet status quo and the industry/media encourages this behavior and that is why you have this assumption in your head, your falling for it too,its not fair that the media controls us we must fight and indi rap has brought this to my attention more than any guitar or fu fighter song could ever do, not saying that rap is better, just different, different purpose different needs met. "we must fight against society we must fight the real enemy, wake the heck up"(soulfly edited lol) even soulfly can not sing it the way it can be rapped, i dont know how hip hop is so good at expressing things it just is, you positively have no idea the extent of genius that goes into it im not just saying this to be cute or own something i think is cool, really man you have no clue. could you consider for a moment that you may not have all the answers when it comes to this? humor me, i want to see if you could step down lol

mahakali
24-11-2010, 06:26 AM
yes there is a such thing as a rapper sounding like nails on a chalk board, believe me, when i hear it and have to leave the room there's also a such thing as it sounding like butter, pure butter glorious music to the ears. its a talent that you have to be born with just like playing guitar, all the lessons in the world cant give you rhythm.

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Just want to say, there is no ill will from me, i am bit disappointed that so many people seem to miss the essence of hip hop and are so prejudice against it. I guess it's understandable in a sense from what most get exposed to it from the media or whatever.

But yeah. I love all music that is from the heart, that has artistic integrity, that is real. There is some from all categories, (maybe some more than others..) You don't have to get hip hop. I am ok with that. Don't want to come across as angry or anything, that is not the case. Just bit disappointed as i say.

I implore and encourage you to expand your musical horizons and give it a chance. Keep an open mind. If not, ok. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks as they say lol :wink: (if you are old that is..)

Regardless,

OneLove . ~

norseman
24-11-2010, 09:11 AM
The only positive thing I can say about [c]rap is that it makes Country & Western sound good.

Deusdrum
24-11-2010, 10:53 AM
The only positive thing I can say about [c]rap is that it makes Country & Western sound good.

:rolleyes:

refer to mahakali's and my last 3 posts or so for appropriate response.

Find it sad that people feel the need to disrespect an entire art form without knowing the first thing about it.

as they say though it's bigger than.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNyr6BJZuI

:happy3: :happy3: :happy3:

SeaZen
25-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music?

You started a most interesting thread! Art forms that express the negative part of our existence have been with us well before "Metal and Dark Music". The music of which you speak is merely the latest incarnation of that. Before that we had "the blues" which expressed the suffering of the soul. In 1914, we had "the rite of spring" which was a classical music piece describing a human sacrifice ritual in spring for a bountiful fall harvest. It goes on and on.

Who is to say Black Sabbath's title track and album "Black Sabbath" which describes a satanic human sacrifice ritual is any more abhorrent than Stravinsky's rite of spring?

Likewise, Iron Maiden did a "blues number" in their own way. "Run to the Hills" graphically describes the Native Americans under attack by colonist forces.

I think the trick is to enjoy it for the artistic value of what you are listening to when it comes to "dark music" instead of allowing it to dictate your mood and emotions.

I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions. :smile:

Im happy to hear this. The more spiritual I became the more I started branching out to other "lighter forms" of music as well (I however did always like "light" music from the rockers). However, I do not feel that intense, hard driving music is all "dark". Jimi Hendrix comes to mind. Most of his lyrics are social commentary, sexual, spiritual and a few (which by the way get all the attention) on mind expanding substances. Nothing negative about that. His guitar work was and always will be the best most innovative stuff.

Iggy Pop & the Stooges also come to mind. That was hard driving stuff that wasnt necessarily dark. I still love to rock out and feel that rocking out was and is a most spiritual experience for me.

Perspective
25-11-2010, 04:39 AM
I love all music that is from the heart, that has artistic integrity, that is real. There is some from all categories, (maybe some more than others..) I think that's key - "from the heart." That's what we use music for - to relate to, to receive empathy from, however we're feeling. When I'm stressed out & it's been noisy for hours, the last thing I want to listen to is heavy metal, rap or hip hop. Sometimes just silence is golden. :smile: Sometimes some of that fits my mood. At times, when I feel (from my heart :wink: ) enthusiasm & a desire to MOVE - I need some hip hop, or something with a good beat.

Gem
25-11-2010, 06:17 AM
I've heard what is refered to as hip hop since Blondies 'men from mars' and the Grand Master Flash, but all I'm give me a mic and I can rap, but I don't because I can actually sing.

Give him a mic and ask him to sing... coz any singer can rap (as can most anyone) and it has to be admitted to sing is far more intricate with melody, breath, poise, breath and control than speaking rhythmically.

My refined ear is how I can tell the contrived from the substantial... and I watched the entire evolution of rap while video killed the radio star

If it's rhythm that turns you on then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-bT5Ig0oQ&feature=related (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3DV_-bT5Ig0oQ%26amp%3Bfeature%3Drelated)

SeaZen
25-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I've heard what is refered to as hip hop since Blondies 'men from mars' and the Grand Master Flash, but all I'm give me a mic and I can rap, but I don't because I can actually sing.

Give him a mic and ask him to sing... coz any singer can rap (as can most anyone) and it has to be admitted to sing is far more intricate with melody, breath, poise, breath and control than speaking rhythmically.

My refined ear is how I can tell the contrived from the substantial... and I watched the entire evolution of rap while video killed the radio star

Whoa! Hold the microphone there! I highly disagree with you that "anyone or any singer can rap". Well maybe they can, but they wont sound polished or professional or of a high quality. Same goes for singing, anyone can sing but not all can sound of a high quality. Good rapping takes skill, talent and breath control like any good singing does. Not only that, but rapping is also about improvisation. Many of the live rapping contests (I believe they are called "smackdowns") are about thinking up new rhyming lyrics on the fly as you go along which takes talent. I remember every white guy and their brother criticizing rap when it came out as talentless and ****. They obviously had no idea whatsoever what they were talking about.

How the heck did you come to your conclusions about this?

mahakali
25-11-2010, 04:58 PM
thanks seazen and here its called freestyle and when 2 are competing its called a battle. its funny how gem thinks that we are still talking about the top 20 even though we have told him that indi or underground WILL NOT BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO so hes most likely never ever heard this stuff. Blondy can rap just like a tone def person can sing, and a tone def person may think that it sound good. so to the naked ear rock is rock no dif between a legend and a talentless cover band. no dif between krs-one and Blondy? do you know how ridiculous this sounds gem? you dont have to be right man, you dont, you can choose your battles

Deusdrum
25-11-2010, 08:09 PM
lol seazen - 'smackdowns' lol! Good points though. love the iggy pop and the stooges too, btw. That is actually a good point that a lot of 'dark music' is what one of my friends would call the dark good, like Johnny Cash being the 'man in black'.. not a bad thing, the shadow side maybe, bringing social commentary to injustice, giving it voice. Iron maiden is great for that. So was Johnny Cash. How cool was he to play at Folsom Prison to all those inmates. Must have been first guy to do anything like that.

The origins of rap actually (besides coming from jamiacan 'toasting' and there disco influences) was actually to express their plight about conditions of living, racism, etc. etc. as it started in the projects of New York. That is where it originated, and the spirit from which it came.

Anyways, Gem, tell me if you can 'rap' like this, or even if you can follow the flow of this song. If you honestly don't think this takes skill... then fine. (though i won't believe you lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdrossKXGb4 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.youtube.com%2525252 Fwatch%2525253Fv%2525253DFdrossKXGb4)

Beautiful example of relevant social commentary, listen to the lyrics. This MC died less that a month ago. (RIP Eyedea) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-eKhCukW8 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3Dz9-eKhCukW8)

Enya
25-11-2010, 10:58 PM
To get back to the original question... I think it does depend on the individual and their emotive state. For myself, I will use loud rock to get the blood pumping. I'll use alternative instrumentals for meditation or healing. I'll use good lyrics and ballads to support the day. I'll use classical for lifting my mood. I steer clear of most metal because it's too aggressive for me, but I can appreciate a decent base guitar and drums... loved AC/DC in the Iron Man films.

There are lots of studies proving the effects of music on the human, animal and plant psyche. Read about The Mozart Effect. Certain chords and keys in music can have a profound effect on us.

If you're depressed, don't listen to Barclay James Harvest - you'll be reaching for a razor. (some might do that anyway... lol) Emo bands echo the emotional turmoil of teens - my daughter listened to all sorts of emo and heavy metal stuff when she was 14-17. Still does, to some extent, along with classic 50s hits and an eclectic mix along the way...

After our daughter was born, I found I couldn't stand it when my hubby played the soundtrack of Terminator in the car... it literally made me feel sick. Being aware of what's going in your ears is every bit as important as what is taken in by the eyes and mouth, imho.

Neville
25-11-2010, 11:23 PM
I wonder if it's like the old axiom "You are what you eat" only in this case it's "You are what you listen to" After all we do seem to be the product of our experiences .

Don't mind me , Just thinking aloud :smile:

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 03:44 AM
thanks seazen and here its called freestyle and when 2 are competing its called a battle. its funny how gem thinks that we are still talking about the top 20 even though we have told him that indi or underground WILL NOT BE PLAYED ON THE RADIO so hes most likely never ever heard this stuff. Blondy can rap just like a tone def person can sing, and a tone def person may think that it sound good. so to the naked ear rock is rock no dif between a legend and a talentless cover band. no dif between krs-one and Blondy? do you know how ridiculous this sounds gem? you dont have to be right man, you dont, you can choose your battles

Your welcome mahakali. I also found that blondie reference ridiculous! I immediately thought of Salt and Peppa and how talented, erotically charged and passionate their rap song "Push it good, push it REAL good!" was. That was my absolute favorite female rap song! They beautifully and accurately expressed what I call the "Proactive Sexual Female Tigress" in their performance of that rap (What can I say...Im a guy :D )

Anyway, Blondie's rap pales in comparison to Salt and Peppa on all levels. IMO, it cant even compare.

Some of the lyrics from that Salt and Peppa song:
"yo yo yo yo baby baby, you come and give me a kiss, better make it fast or else Im gonna get pist, cant you hear the music pumping hard like I wish you would now push it... push it good.... PUSH IT REAL GOOD!"

Better yet, here is the video! And like the MC warns, "this dance aint for everybody! only the sexy people"! Not only can they rap sexy but they can dance sexy too! Love the way they thrust their hips when they say "push it"! Yaoza!!:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 04:25 AM
I wonder if it's like the old axiom "You are what you eat" only in this case it's "You are what you listen to" After all we do seem to be the product of our experiences .

Well neville, music can definitely bring out and encourage whatever is already inside you. That female rap song "push it" I described in my previous post brought out my love of the "female tigress". I think it can be that as well as what you described.

Gem
26-11-2010, 04:43 AM

True, fanatics emulate the culture surrounding the music, and you know that rappers wear their hats crooked because if they went to straighten them their pants would fall down, and I don't know about you Nev but I'd perfer not to know which brand of underwear young men wear.

I was reared on beethoven Schubert and chopin until the age of 11 when I found Clapton, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles... which led to the discovery of all nature of authentic realistic rock music... and Don Maclean, James Taylor, Simon and GarfunKle, Cat Stevens and similar... and the blues artists to heavy rockers like ac/dc Deeppurple Led Zep.

I know my music and it isn't a matter of taste, it's a matter of class.

Gem
26-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Well neville, music can definitely bring out and encourage whatever is already inside you. That female rap song "push it" I described in my previous post brought out my love of the "female tigress". I think it can be that as well as what you described.

Salt and Pepper 'sang' that.... (for want of a better word).

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 06:38 AM
True, fanatics emulate the culture surrounding the music, and you know that rappers wear their hats crooked because if they went to straighten them their pants would fall down, and I don't know about you Nev but I'd perfer not to know which brand of underwear young men wear.

I was reared on beethoven Schubert and chopin until the age of 11 when I found Clapton, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, The Beatles... which led to the discovery of all nature of authentic realistic rock music... and Don Maclean, James Taylor, Simon and GarfunKle, Cat Stevens and similar... and the blues artists to heavy rockers like ac/dc Deeppurple Led Zep.

I know my music and it isn't a matter of taste, it's a matter of class.

What does "class" have to do with good music? Isnt that a personal judgment on your part? Please explain! You may know "your" music but thats because "you" selected it and it suits "your" taste. Who made "you" the authority on whats good and what isnt (other than for "yourself")? Also, what criteria do you use to make this determination? "Class" alone? Do explain Gem! We would all love to hear this!

BTW, most of the artists you mentioned (with the exception of Hendrix) were white boys influenced by black blues and rock n roll artists before them. Do you really think Eric Clapton and the Beatles etc. created their stuff without any influence and inspiration from their predecessors? Paul McCartney even admits that his singing style emulated Little Richard. John Lennon openly adulated and admitted his influence and "hero" was Chuck Berry. I noticed your list of artists and its all white with the exception of Hendrix. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our tastes, but thats all it is...tastes! Just an FYI, you have thus far failed to convince me and everyone else otherwise.

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Salt and Pepper 'sang' that.... (for want of a better word).

:D Really? How so? Do explain! We would all love to hear your "musical theorizing" in this regard! Making a blanket statement like that is, again, quite unconvincing and indicative of "personal taste" rather than legitimate analysis.

Gem
26-11-2010, 07:04 AM
What does "class" have to do with good music? Isnt that a personal judgment on your part? Please explain! You may know "your" music but thats because "you" selected it and it suits "your" taste. Who made "you" the authority on whats good and what isnt (other than for "yourself")? Also, what criteria do you use to make this determination? "Class" alone? Do explain Gem! We would all love to hear this!

BTW, most of the artists you mentioned (with the exception of Hendrix) were white boys influenced by black blues and rock n roll artists before them. Do you really think Eric Clapton and the Beatles etc. created their stuff without any influence and inspiration from their predecessors? Paul McCartney even admits that his singing style emulated Little Richard. John Lennon openly adulated and admitted his influence and "hero" was Chuck Berry. I noticed your list of artists and its all white with the exception of Hendrix. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our tastes, but thats all it is...tastes! Just an FYI, you have failed to convince me and everyone else otherwise.

No it's not to do with me personally and there is alot of good music I don't like to listen to... but I recognise it has class.

The Blues artists which influenced them and chuck berry really played and really sang, and had real mastery over thier instruments, and by retaining or even exceeding that standard they knew what it took. Musicianship.

I dig heaps of black musicians too and just love the blues, like Buddy Guy, Albert King, BBking, Robert Johnson, Robert Cray, George Benson... And I can garuantee you of one certainty, every one I mention has alot of class.

"Today's music ain't got the same soul, so I like that old timer rock and roll" Bob Segar ( he could tell ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3D3MCHI23FTP8)

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 07:50 AM
No it's not to do with me personally and there is alot of good music I don't like to listen to... but I recognise it has class.

The Blues artists which influenced them and chuck berry really played and really sang, and had real mastery over thier instruments, and by retaining or even exceeding that standard they knew what it took. Musicianship.

I dig heaps of black musicians too and just love the blues, like Buddy Guy, Albert King, BBking, Robert Johnson, Robert Cray, George Benson... And I can garuantee you of one certainty, every one I mention has alot of class.

"Today's music ain't got the same soul, so I like that old timer rock and roll" Bob Segar ( he could tell ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3D3MCHI23FTP8)

You still havent explained what you mean by "class" when it comes to music. Is it a mastery of your musical instrument and/or voice? Is it a lack of expressing sexual innuendo in your songs? Is it achieving a certain level of financial gain? Is it dressing in a certain style of clothing? We cant continue this discussion until you explain yourself in this regard as we have no idea of what you are talking about when you say some music has "class" and others do not. Once again, I ask you to please explain yourself in this regard.

Gem
26-11-2010, 08:53 AM
You still havent explained what you mean by "class" when it comes to music. Is it a mastery of your musical instrument and/or voice? Is it a lack of expressing sexual innuendo in your songs? Is it achieving a certain level of financial gain? Is it dressing in a certain style of clothing? We cant continue this discussion until you explain yourself in this regard as we have no idea of what you are talking about when you say some music has "class" and others do not. Once again, I ask you to please explain yourself in this regard.

Of course it's the mastery of composition the mastery of the instrument or voice so that the nuances of the performance are delicate and subtle.

If you listen to Bon Scott you will notice it isn't just a sreaming metal voice, it's delicate deft and precise. Bon Scott is a master vocalist and anyone who denies that is ignorant.

The band AC/DC (especially with Bon) are world leaders... and it's because they are phenomenal... a class act. The reason is the vocals and lead Guitar are beyond belief and they have a rock solid rhythm section. They're beautiful delicate and subtle.

The thing is class is extraordinarily refined and these silly computer loops and drum machines can never be that.

Here's Bon's last recording which demonstrates his class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDpwb3ILxM (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3DwsDpwb3ILxM)

in progress
26-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions. Now I find myself trying to avoid the music I used to love. Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace.
My goodness, you already know what sound does from your own personal experience! Isn't that cool? I've listened to music and felt quite uplifted emotionally. I've also hummed a tune and noticed my body start to feel better if it was feeling a little off. Some use sound as a healing modality. After kundalini I noticed a tendency to watch less tv, listen to less news and had less tolerance for certain kinds of music.

NightSpirit
26-11-2010, 10:23 AM

You know, the best thing about being spiritual beings is that, nothing is permanent. We keep changing......

SeaZen
26-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Of course it's the mastery of composition the mastery of the instrument or voice so that the nuances of the performance are delicate and subtle.

If you listen to Bon Scott you will notice it isn't just a sreaming metal voice, it's delicate deft and precise. Bon Scott is a master vocalist and anyone who denies that is ignorant.

The band AC/DC (especially with Bon) are world leaders... and it's because they are phenomenal... a class act. The reason is the vocals and lead Guitar are beyond belief and they have a rock solid rhythm section. They're beautiful delicate and subtle.

The thing is class is extraordinarily refined and these silly computer loops and drum machines can never be that.

Here's Bon's last recording which demonstrates his class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsDpwb3ILxM (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatc h%3Fv%3DwsDpwb3ILxM)

OK we are now getting somewhere. So mastery of ones voice is considered "class". That rap video of "blackalicious" that was posted earlier shows complete mastery of his voice, timing, rhythm nuanced vocals etc. Its merely a different style than Bon Scott of AC/DC. If you really listen to it you will notice its not just some guy talking but a changing of notes with every word done so at a pace and rhythm that is fast and "delicate deft and precise" that hardly anyone else is capable of doing. In other words a "class act".

You have just proved my point that it is a matter of your "taste", nothing more, nothing less.

mahakali
26-11-2010, 05:36 PM
i would probably get into acdc if the drums were not the same on every song, it gets old fast, every song could merge into itself seamlessly but yeah they are talented.

HallowsEve
28-07-2011, 10:52 AM
That really hasn't happened to me. I enjoy and love listening to heavy metal very much, it doesn't make me unhappy, it gives me a certain energy.. it's powerful. I was brought up listening to heavy metal and dark music and I've loved it all my life - tis in my soul!

saxon
08-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this type of music? Over the last 4/5 years I have spent a lot of my music time listening to heavy metal bands and what some people may call "Dark" music. Do you think that living a Spiritual life can be complimentary to a like for such music? I always thought it was no problem but I found over the last year or so that the music actually lowers my mood and emotions.

I guess it all depends on what twist of spirituality one's into. I've been into metal for 20 years and feel it's completely in sync with my inner journey.

Time
08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
All metal is, is another expression of our emotions that we all have. Were all angry, angsty and rebellious on the inside. Nothing to be ashamed of! The same goes for the slow stuff. I usualy only listin to the older stuff (uriah heep, budgie, sabbath, zeppelin, steppenwolf, blue cheer and all that).

Spitfire10
15-08-2011, 02:32 AM
I am a fan of Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Thrash, Alternative Metal etc. I feel it is good music to as it is aggressive and can release some anger from within you listening to it listen to as some band's lyrics express life and other meanings like Sylosis - Edge of the Earth album which is nice but because of its ''Heavyness'' no one seems to give it a chance and turn to rap music which in my view is a bad influence on today's society. Some say its the devils music lol. After i have listened to Heavy Metal I normally tune into some Beatles, Duran Duran, more relaxing music to end the night.

Levi
19-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I've listened to dark music for most of my life.

Solace733
19-09-2011, 10:00 PM
I like a variety of music, and "dark music" as we call it, definately affects my moods and energy. I can be somewhat seduced by certain types of music... as well as uplifted by higher vibrational sounds.. I love it all.... depending on my mood and perspective.. i tend to listen to the "darker stuff" sparingly though as it really affects me.

kislany
21-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I grew up with heavy metal and rock (70s and 80s) and I'm still stuck in that era somehow. But on the dark side, I love goth music - not the really harsh ones, but more the melodious ones with the female lead clearly dominating (think the old Nightwish, etc).

sappy
21-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I listen to lots of metal there is nothing like listening to Marilyn Manson, NIN, Pantera, Lamb of God..... (You get the idea)...... especially when your ****ed off instead of making me angrier it actually calms me down.

illusion
21-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I think it's possible to just enjoy music for its aesthetics, without getting hung up about lyrical content. I listen to a lot of stuff that would be consider base, aggressive, or "dark". But there is a lot of energy in that type of music, which has a positive effect on me. If the lyrics get too angry or hateful or are otherwise not on my wavelength, I just chuckle to myself and filter them out, and enjoy the music as a pure sound experience.

The spiritually evolved music is generally way too pallid and retiring to do anything for me, although I might relate more to lyrics that focus on love and unity, the music itself is not what I gravitate towards. An exception to that might be conscious hip-hop and reggae, which are simultaneously energetic and inspiring.

I believe this has already been pointed out, but I will tune in and agree that angry music isn't always destructive. Sometimes it can be about righteous anger. I think someone mentioned Ministry as an example, and their songs often deal with human rights and justice and personal responsibility and awareness. All good things.

Charlies Angel
24-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I am a big metal fan. I hear it being called dark, the devils' music, Satan worshiping and other stereotypes. Yes, it can be aggressive and often is if it's done right IMO. I'm 30, no rebellious teenager! I've been listening to metal for ten years now.

Some times I slip into easier listening, I currently like Christina Perri and Florence and the Machine, but I always come back to metal. When I first got into Marylin Manson, I was conflicted. Holywood and Anti-Christ Superstar are two of my favourite albums and I found I had to distance myself away from the anti religious imagery and lyrics and concentrate more on the music. After all a lot of what MM does IMO at least is to shock and to annoy orthodox Christians!

ATM I am revisiting Iowa by Slipknot. But I also enjoy the gentler sounds of Corey's side project Stone Sour. I find deep meaning in heavy metal and through it I find a catharsis. I have had some difficult times in my life, bullying, jealousy, bad relationships and bad friendships. Heavy metal/thrash etc gives me a medium to expel my negativity, anger and disappointment. I get into the rock club, I mosh as hard as I can, I scream to the lyrics (incidentally how good are RATM for that?!) and I feel better. I honestly think I am the pleasant and chilled and incredibly patient person because I can use my music to vent.

In all my years going to rock/metal clubs I have rarely if ever seen any aggression or violence. Yet the streets spill out with fights from people leaving mainstream music clubs. How can you vent to Kylie or Britney?!

Give me metal any day!

Sangress
25-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Slipknot. whooo. I'm a maggot. :P

I'm listening to a band called Drowning Pool at the moment. It's one of those bands that is both grungy and uplifting and can switch to dark and gruesom at a moments notice. Love bands like that who have a diversity and depth to them.

I don't think its the genra of music that affects a person, its the meanings behind a song, the lyrics and the emotions in it that are important to me at least.

mattie
25-10-2011, 01:57 AM
I’m not inclined to label various types of music as light or dark. This is VERY subjective.

That said, I’m not keen on lyrics that promote violence or misogyny.

norseman
25-10-2011, 07:14 AM
"Full-fat, high cholesterol" old-school heavy rock for me [ AC/DC, Sabbath, Zeppelin, etc] but also high-quality soft rock like Queen and pagan rock - Inkubus Sukkubus.
Anyone see the common link there ? :D

Charlies Angel
25-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Slipknot. whooo. I'm a maggot. :P

I'm listening to a band called Drowning Pool at the moment. It's one of those bands that is both grungy and uplifting and can switch to dark and gruesom at a moments notice. Love bands like that who have a diversity and depth to them.

I used to love Drowning Pool. I saw them years back at Ozfest, I think. I saw Dave Williams after in the signing tent and he raised his beer to me. Not long after he joined the spirit world.

Sangress
26-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I used to love Drowning Pool. I saw them years back at Ozfest, I think. I saw Dave Williams after in the signing tent and he raised his beer to me. Not long after he joined the spirit world.

*drools* jealoussss. Lol.

Swami Chihuahuananda
31-10-2011, 09:07 AM

Not sure. I don't listen to anything that would be considered 'dark' metal .
I generally just don't like it ; it generally doesn't resonate with my musical/spiritual receptor circuits. I've gotten a teeny tiny bit more used to
metal from watching 'Metalocalypse ' with the (Adult Swim) cartoon Dethklokk , and I can appreciate good electric guitar (and acoustic, of course, my own choice of instrument) playing of almost any sort.

Personal taste aside, I'd venture to say that it's almost all , if not completely,
about individual perception and internal processing , and not much , if any, about the labels or judgements that anyone else puts on what we listen to.
It's a s simple as 'different strokes for different folks' , though we could probably go on (or already have) about how dissonance and harmony affect us energetically . Or maybe we couldn't, because comprehensive, objective, scientific studies have not been done, and may not be possible, to determine
the true and consistent effects on psyche, mental states, and 'spiritual' advancement , of varying degrees of harmony, tension, dissonance, resolution , 'dark' and 'light' metal, or any of it. Thinking of it in these terms, the idea of trying to quantify such subjective things seems like an absurd proposition, so we're left with what we started with , that it's almost all , if not completely, about perception and internal utilization.

I guess we might be able to draw a line somewhere between music and noise, but maybe not ; some experimental recordings are not musical at all, and the sounds of nature , which are obviously used by some for spiritual pursuits, couldn't really be called music by most definitions . So who can determine for someone else what is light and dark, good and bad ?. Sure, some music has Satanic , or whatever context , but we can look at listeners of that as being simply at a stage in their development that this type of music is part of their journey forward ; the point being that it's not really appropriate to judge so completely someone else's activities that are so subjective .

Music is such a complex interaction in many ways , and to me , that's as much about how music affects me as it is what I do with music when I'm listening. In other words, I determine what happens with music when it's interacting with my awareness . After all, it's just vibrations moving through air until it's deciphered in my brain, where it's recreated inside my holographic converters , which have their own individual parameters , as does everyone's .:D

Dar

radareyes
02-11-2011, 12:38 AM
In my experience, music is very simply a reflection of the consciousness that produced it, and tends to appeal to people who share or wish to cultivate a similar quality of consciousness. Metal to me is predominantly fear being anesthetized and reinforced by aggression.

Sundialed
02-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but my life definitely changed significantly when I threw out all of my KoRn and Slipknot cd's. That music had a negative impact on me. Like Deus I have found electronic music that is what you could call heavier but not negative. Not to say KoRn and Slipknot didn't throw the odd positive song out there. I do like some Opeth and sommmme Lamb of God. But all in all I do not resonate with the brutal sound, but I do not judge others who listen to it or make that type of music. I do have a friend however who could greatly benefit without his death metal.

Sungirl
02-11-2011, 08:52 PM
just has a shot of inspiration about why I like angry music and why is can be good for me.

From experience I have found that if I get angry with people it bites me on the bum one way or another. I watch other people ranting and getting away with it, but it appears I am here to learn other ways of expressing my displeasure..... but that doesn't yet stop me getting angry at life. I defy anyone other than really advanced people to be so laid back that they never (and I mean never) get angry... so, driving my car, ranting away to no-body while listening to industrial or angry stuff acts as a pressure valve. Just like beating a pillow or screaming in a field.. I am hurting no-one but I am letting the energy out rather than suppressing it.

This, for me, is healthy.

But, I still maintain that there is some metal that really is depressing and some that isn't. Also, there is plenty of music that is sooo not metal that is equally as nasty or simply depressing... think of a wailing r&b track about a broken heart... how many "mainstream" people wallow listening to Luther Vandross when they have split with their partner..... seems no more healthy.

I do find Linkin Park very depressing and won't listen to them, no matter how much I respect their musical ability. I also don't listen to emo music, particularly those with the combination of dying/bullet/bride/valentine in their name.... it's all down to the key it is played in apparently... that's why british folk is always in a minor key ;)

Seawolf
03-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Now instead, music of Love and happiness makes me happy and more at peace. I also feel that metal started clouding my feelings on what I wanted from life. Does anyone else feel this way? Will be interesting to see different views and opinions. :smile:

Music doesn't make you feel anything. It doesn't 'cause' you to feel bad, or happy.

All it does is bring out emotions that are already in YOU. If you like the emotion of certain music, that's because you have that emotion. Turning off the music isn't going to make your emotions go away.

I like all kinds of music, sometimes I'm listening to heavy, dark stuff and other times I'm listening to simpler, lighter music. It just depends on what I feel like listening to.

I'm sure that plants dying when being exposed to death metal has nothing to do with the style of music or the emotion it's conveying, but probably something more scientific.

This idea that any kind of music is 'bad' for you is just superstition, mainly fueled by religious fears. If all you listen to is depressing music, that means you're depressed. Instead of blaming it on music, try to change yourself and you'll feel like listening to something else.

There's nothing wrong with having emotions (happy, sad, angry). No emotion is wrong or bad. But if they're overwhelming you to the point that you can't function normally then you have to take steps to try to change yourself.

Sarian
03-11-2011, 07:28 PM
For me personally, I can say yes. I love just about all music. When I was feeling angry, upset, rebellious, I would crank up the Nine Inch Nails or Garbage, or whatever i had on hand at the time, but I did find that my mood became more dark, I began having feelings of hate and if depressed, my depression grew worse. I finally had to stop listening. I had on occasion listened to Garbage, but I lost the feel for that band. I have an ecclectic mix on my Ipod for when I'm out on my trails. I do listen to some of Marilyn Manson still. I love Tournequent(Sp?) for example, and I think it helps me release anger/upset ...do I think he's a satanist? lol, no, I think he's quite the showman. I read his bio and find him fascinating.

I like much of the singers that Gem mentioned above, like Cat Stevens, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, and have them on my Ipod as well and they mellow me out nicely...and I can listen to "I am a Rock" whenI'm feeling particularly tuned out of the world. Vincent by Don McLean causes me to weep. I listen to Yanni to try and quiet my mind or get to a place of relection.

but I'm moving away from your original question about 'dark music' and how it affects. I was depressed and found that I liked "I'm only happy when it rains" and i would listen to that alot, but then I got a message, can't explain it, but to knock it off, it was bringing me down at an alarming speed and keeping me there,and it became almost like a drug to hear the dismal. There was a particular NIN tune that seemed to reach in and turn my heart black and I started to feel almost creepy about myself, I had to stop listening to it and oddly enough, I felt like a drug addict trying to quit cold turkey.

Until It Sleeps by Metallica used to drive me bats because I thought their video (same as some of manson's) came from my nightmares. I often felt like there was something ghastly inhabitating me at times. lol...ugh

Sungirl
03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
This idea that any kind of music is 'bad' for you is just superstition, mainly fueled by religious fears. If all you listen to is depressing music, that means you're depressed. Instead of blaming it on music, try to change yourself and you'll feel like listening to something else.

As much as I agree that we hold these emotions in ourselves and the music doesn't make us do anything I think there is the case for "wallowing" to be taken into consideration here.

I personally believe in the effects of vibration on the mind/body/spirit. Music is nothing but vibration so it has a great affect on us. If it didn't sessions such as gong baths wouldn't work.

We have the capacity to feel every emotion, we have felt every emotion at some point in our lives. Vibration can trigger a remembrance of one of those emotions whether it is prominent or not. So, if we are feeling fairly balanced and hear some music that triggers a negative (for want of a better word) emotion it can have a powerful effect.

A prime example is the song Numb by Linkin Park. The first time my husband played it to me he told me about how it expressed just how he felt when he was with his ex. Now when I hear it it makes me feel so sad, close to tears sad, because I hate the thought of my husband being that unhappy... but that is inappropriate because he isn't in that situation any more, he's with me and we're happy.

The song Elation by the Levellers makes me very sad because it reminds me of something from my past. Normally I don't have those feelings on the surface, but if I hear that I feel very sad.

So, yes, we can choose what music we listen to to make sure that these feelings don't come to the surface but some people don't have the strength to see what is going on. Low vibration attracts lower vibration, and soon we can be completely sunk in negativity, wallowing in heartbreaking tracks that just make us feel worse.

That's why I like metal, a good rant and shout to no-one while I'm driving and it's all over :tongue:

Seawolf
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
The song Elation by the Levellers makes me very sad because it reminds me of something from my past. Normally I don't have those feelings on the surface, but if I hear that I feel very sad.

Hi Sungirl! I came from a family that didn't know how to express emotions, so I don't consider something bad if it sparks an emotion. I see having those feelings come out as a good thing. I don't think it's good to suppress painful emotions, because that causes them to linger around for a long time. It's good to feel things, especially when it's painful, because that's how we heal and become balanced.

Sungirl
03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Hi Sungirl! I came from a family that didn't know how to express emotions, so I don't consider something bad if it sparks an emotion. I see having those feelings come out as a good thing. I don't think it's good to suppress painful emotions, because that causes them to linger around for a long time. It's good to feel things, especially when it's painful, because that's how we heal and become balanced.

Once again I agree to an extent, but I do find that wallowing can happen and that isn't healthy. It leads to self pity.

Seawolf
03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Once again I agree to an extent, but I do find that wallowing can happen and that isn't healthy. It leads to self pity.

I don't really understand the concept of 'wallowing'. If someone prefers to be in pain, I'd say that reveals a deeper emotional issue that needs to be addressed. Instead of looking at it like 'I need to stop wallowing', I would try to find out why I'm wallowing and take a look at that.

Some people like to be depressed, even though they complain about it all the time. To me that doesn't mean they need to change their music, that's not going to change anything. Instead I would try to find out what the underlying cause is.

Same thing with self-pity, it's a problem with the person, what's going on inside of them, not from anything coming from the outside.

Just being honest with yourself and taking responsibility instead of blaming outside forces makes a big difference.

radareyes
03-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Music doesn't make you feel anything. It doesn't 'cause' you to feel bad, or happy. All it does is bring out emotions that are already in YOU. If you like the emotion of certain music, that's because you have that emotion. Turning off the music isn't going to make your emotions go away.
No, but it can be a first step towards managing those emotions by denying them a reactive form of expression (i.e. venting, which simply habituates a person to deal with the most superficial level of their experience without addressing the underlying fixation on external conditions that gave rise to the emotion/s in the first place) until their true source can be identified and overcome.

I like all kinds of music, sometimes I'm listening to heavy, dark stuff and other times I'm listening to simpler, lighter music. It just depends on what I feel like listening to.
Being unafraid to allow your emotional responses to inform your decision making is a beneficial thing, without doubt. Learning to identify the source of those emotions, however, is even more beneficial.

I'm sure that plants dying when being exposed to death metal has nothing to do with the style of music or the emotion it's conveying, but probably something more scientific.
Like what?

This idea that any kind of music is 'bad' for you is just superstition, mainly fueled by religious fears. If all you listen to is depressing music, that means you're depressed. Instead of blaming it on music, try to change yourself and you'll feel like listening to something else. .
Exactly, because the type of music a person gravitates towards is reflective of their state of being. In the interim, however, fueling the fire while simultaneously trying to extinguish it probably wouldn't be particularly productive, as I'm sure you'd agree.

There's nothing wrong with having emotions (happy, sad, angry). No emotion is wrong or bad. But if they're overwhelminc you to the point that you can't function normally then you have to take steps to try to change yourself. That's right, and when done with the right spirit, turning off the music can be one of those steps.

Seawolf
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Exactly, because the type of music a person gravitates towards is reflective of their state of being. In the interim, however, fueling the fire while simultaneously trying to extinguish it probably wouldn't be particularly productive, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Hi radareyes!

I don't know why anyone would fuel a fire while trying to stop it. That sounds silly! :)

I say listen to whatever music you want to listen to. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it. Don't blame your problems on anything or anyone besides yourself. I don't understand this concept of liking heavy music, but thinking it's bad to listen to. It's like hitting yourself over and over while you keep saying 'stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself.' If you don't like being hit, then stop hitting yourself. If you like being hit, you have a problem that you should get help for.

As for music and plants, I don't think the plant knows what it's listening to, it just hears either soothing sounds or harsh sounds. The music could be saying 'i love satan', but if the music is nice and soothing, I don't think the plant will care what's being said.

Sundialed
03-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Here metal fans I use to delve deep into the brutal sounds but this is my new heavy sound. Yes it is electronic, but, it's still heavy ;)

Spor - Pacifica (Chasing Shadows Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RbBHEzWQA0

SunnyHaze
04-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I wouldnt mind heavy metal as i listen to wide variety of Genre's
I dont think it Changes your mood to much or freequency but just be careful or that may be the case as its happend once before

Sungirl
04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't really understand the concept of 'wallowing'. If someone prefers to be in pain, I'd say that reveals a deeper emotional issue that needs to be addressed. Instead of looking at it like 'I need to stop wallowing', I would try to find out why I'm wallowing and take a look at that.

Some people like to be depressed, even though they complain about it all the time. To me that doesn't mean they need to change their music, that's not going to change anything. Instead I would try to find out what the underlying cause is.

Same thing with self-pity, it's a problem with the person, what's going on inside of them, not from anything coming from the outside.

Just being honest with yourself and taking responsibility instead of blaming outside forces makes a big difference.

Seawolf

I think there is something fundamental that you are failing to see. You are clearly a very aware and intellegent person who have an avid inner watcher that can see what is actually going on. This stops you wallowing. You see you are feeling an emotion, see the effect it is having and act in a positive way.

That's great!!!!! Fair play to you :smile::D

But not everyone is capable of that. Some people are slaves to their emotions, they are what they are feeling and they cannot see outside of it. This means they can wallow. Rather than being aware of what is happening and pull themselves out of it, they attract things that will keep them where they are, whether that be low vibrational food, alcohol, drugs, negative people and (if music is meangiful to them) music that makes them feel sad/angry/hopeless. For some this will be some forms of metal. This is where some music can be bad for you.

When I was in a bad relationship I listened to british folk. The sorrow and desolation that it expressed echoed what I was feeling. Now I am in a happy place I am not even drawn to listen to it.

I am now in a middle ground. I am aware that certain music brings out emotions that I don't want to feel so I stay away from it. But there are times when I still get sucked in and end up sobbing. I hope one day I will be like you, but as I always say, I am work in progress.

For now I still listen to metal but it is what we call "happy bouncy" metal, it is still very heavy, but upbeat. I steer clear of the stuff that makes me feel unhappy.

Seawolf
04-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Seawolf

I think there is something fundamental that you are failing to see. You are clearly a very aware and intellegent person who have an avid inner watcher that can see what is actually going on. This stops you wallowing. You see you are feeling an emotion, see the effect it is having and act in a positive way.

That's great!!!!! Fair play to you :smile::D

But not everyone is capable of that. Some people are slaves to their emotions, they are what they are feeling and they cannot see outside of it. This means they can wallow. Rather than being aware of what is happening and pull themselves out of it, they attract things that will keep them where they are, whether that be low vibrational food, alcohol, drugs, negative people and (if music is meangiful to them) music that makes them feel sad/angry/hopeless. For some this will be some forms of metal. This is where some music can be bad for you.

When I was in a bad relationship I listened to british folk. The sorrow and desolation that it expressed echoed what I was feeling. Now I am in a happy place I am not even drawn to listen to it.

I am now in a middle ground. I am aware that certain music brings out emotions that I don't want to feel so I stay away from it. But there are times when I still get sucked in and end up sobbing. I hope one day I will be like you, but as I always say, I am work in progress.

For now I still listen to metal but it is what we call "happy bouncy" metal, it is still very heavy, but upbeat. I steer clear of the stuff that makes me feel unhappy.

I apologize for sounding too harsh or distant. Sometimes I don't realize I'm do that. I had a difficult life that's made me see things in kind of a 'no-nonsense' sort of way.

I remember when I was younger I had a very strong connection to negative emotions, but I didn't understand it or know how to change it. I've learned over the years that I was just reacting normally to negative things that happened, as anyone would. Now I understand that I'm totally responsible for how I feel, so if I'm feeling bad it's not anyone's fault but mine and I'm the only one who can change it.

The secret I've found to changing how I feel is to not blame anyone for the bad things that I've experienced, but to take responsibility for everything. Instead of getting angry at others for what they did to me, I pray for forgiveness and love myself. That may sound strange, but it's worked pretty well. I guess I just got tired of being so angry all the time that I was willing to try anything.

Keep loving yourself! It sounds like you're doing good. :)

Sungirl
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I apologize for sounding too harsh or distant. Sometimes I don't realize I'm do that. I had a difficult life that's made me see things in kind of a 'no-nonsense' sort of way.

I remember when I was younger I had a very strong connection to negative emotions, but I didn't understand it or know how to change it. I've learned over the years that I was just reacting normally to negative things that happened, as anyone would. Now I understand that I'm totally responsible for how I feel, so if I'm feeling bad it's not anyone's fault but mine and I'm the only one who can change it.

The secret I've found to changing how I feel is to not blame anyone for the bad things that I've experienced, but to take responsibility for everything. Instead of getting angry at others for what they did to me, I pray for forgiveness and love myself. That may sound strange, but it's worked pretty well. I guess I just got tired of being so angry all the time that I was willing to try anything.

Keep loving yourself! It sounds like you're doing good. :)

No need for apologies and it sounds like you are doing an amazing job. I just wanted to point out that others are not quite at that stage that you are, and as this thread talks about the effects of music I felt it important to clear that up.

Go you for moving forward and healing your hurts. :D

Dinko
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM

same here, it lowers the vibration...
what do u listen now exactly

Swami Chihuahuananda
11-11-2011, 04:24 AM
In my experience, music is very simply a reflection of the consciousness that produced it, and tends to appeal to people who share or wish to cultivate a similar quality of consciousness. Metal to me is predominantly fear being anesthetized and reinforced by aggression.

I have to disagree and say that music can become more and/or something other than simply a reflection of who made it, once it's inside our own heads. That is my experience .

Dar

radareyes
11-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I have to disagree and say that music can become more and/or something other than simply a reflection of who made it, once it's inside our own heads. That is my experience .

Dar
I'd say that an experience taking place inside our own heads isn't fundamentally different, just muddled by the fact that it has now been layered by extraneous perceptual filters that distort the essence of that experience. Kind of like wanting to enjoy a glass of orange juice but drinking a glass that's been spiked with milk after just having brushed your teeth. :smile:

Distortedsoundz
13-11-2011, 06:53 AM
I have been listening to heavy metal and industrial since the early 90s. Sure, I was a follower and went through some rebellious Satan worshipping phase listening to Slayer and Morbid Angel, but again, I was a stupid kid and thought I had something to prove. Plus my father converted from Catholicism to Satanism and black arts when I was 8 so I had his influence.

I'm more like my mother, she is a light worker. I came around when I was ready. I'm 31 years old, I'm a big girl, sure, I'm covered in scary tattoos that are mostly occult references,I listen to dark,heavy music for fun, but no matter
how evil it is, it is not going to influence me...Can't stop me from doing good!

You would have to have a questionable level of intelligence if you're an adult that becomes negatively influenced by music.

Sungirl
13-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Are you saying that music does not affect you at all? Have you not been brought to tears by a piece of music or cheered by another?

I personally would counter your comment about questionable intelligence by saying that if one is not affected by music at all one is not tuned into the music and not really experiencing it at all. That is either due to a lack of interest or because they are unable to interact with it for some reason.

Music has been created to affect the psyche since a stick banged against a hollow log. Look at what shamans use, rattles, drums, things that create sound to help the soul travel

I am not saying you have to be turned into an axe wielding lunatic as a result of music, but I marvel at people who cannot be affected at all.

I would like to ask people to listen to two pieces of music and see how they affect you.

These are folk songs both by Kate Rusby. I chose folk to save the ears of those who really dislike metal. I could do the same with metal tunes.

Tell me if this one make you happy? http://youtu.be/1jjPfNk4_-Q (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fyou tu.be%252F1jjPfNk4_-Q)

And does this make you feel the same? http://youtu.be/XENvfQ5rCIc (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fyou tu.be%252FXENvfQ5rCIc)

I defy anyone to not to feel something listening to the first if they truly engage with it. The second it light and bubbly and has a completely different effect!!

I'll end with a question to Distortedsoundz.... do you listen to a range of genres? Do you pick at random or do you choose your music based on how you feel? If you choose it based on how you feel I am sure it is affecting you in some way.

Distortedsoundz
14-11-2011, 09:14 AM
I think that you took what I meant completely out of context. If you took a look at the dictionary, there is a pretty fair difference between the word influence and affect, no?

Are you saying that music does not affect you at all? Have you not been brought to tears by a piece of music or cheered by another?

I personally would counter your comment about questionable intelligence by saying that if one is not affected by music at all one is not tuned into the music and not really experiencing it at all. That is either due to a lack of interest or because they are unable to interact with it for some reason.

Music has been created to affect the psyche since a stick banged against a hollow log. Look at what shamans use, rattles, drums, things that create sound to help the soul travel

I am not saying you have to be turned into an axe wielding lunatic as a result of music, but I marvel at people who cannot be affected at all.

I would like to ask people to listen to two pieces of music and see how they affect you.

These are folk songs both by Kate Rusby. I chose folk to save the ears of those who really dislike metal. I could do the same with metal tunes.

Tell me if this one make you happy? http://youtu.be/1jjPfNk4_-Q (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fyou tu.be%252F1jjPfNk4_-Q)

And does this make you feel the same? http://youtu.be/XENvfQ5rCIc (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fyou tu.be%252FXENvfQ5rCIc)

I defy anyone to not to feel something listening to the first if they truly engage with it. The second it light and bubbly and has a completely different effect!!

I'll end with a question to Distortedsoundz.... do you listen to a range of genres? Do you pick at random or do you choose your music based on how you feel? If you choose it based on how you feel I am sure it is affecting you in some way.

Distortedsoundz
14-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Also, before getting worked up, you should have taken into consideration that I said "You would have to have a questionable level of intelligence if you're an adult that becomes NEGATIVELY influenced by music." not "an adult that becomes influenced by music." or "an adult that becomes positively influenced by music." Heck, anything that is a positive influence is okay in my book, even if it is a plate of ****.
For humans to have no conscious or subconscious reaction to sound, whether it is structured or not, is impossible.

Sungirl
15-11-2011, 04:45 PM
apologies, my definition of "negatively" must differ from yours slightly then. Neither is right or wrong, simply different. The limitations of the written word again.

I wasn't getting "worked up" just looking to explore what you had said further.

People are affected by different things and in different ways. I know that if I listened to a lot of music like the first link I posted I would soon be a very unhappy person. This is why I actually don't listen to Kate Rusby any more as i found it was depressing me.

You could say that eating chocolate doesn't affect someone negatively, but if you eat a lot then it does. Why would anything else be any different?

People who are unhappy attract and are attracted to low vibrational things, that can include music that lowers the mood, this then attracts more low vibrational things. This can lead to wallowing and stops the person moving on. Something has to change for them to get out of this cycle, it could be anything, but it could be a change in music choice.

I will add that I personally don't treat metal and goth any different to any other music. I love my metal, goth and industrial. I would consider any genre as containing music that lowers the mood.

Distortedsoundz
16-11-2011, 04:27 AM
I know plenty of people that listen to darker music like heavy metal during their workouts,while driving, or whatever. I know plenty of people that listen to dark music that are just fine. The same can be said about sad or horror movies.
I also think that anything can be bad for anyone if there is not a balance, even if it is something considered positive. I'm deeply attracted to and dabble in both the light and dark areas of life, for example, I've been a Professional Dominatrix for a decade because I have a personal interest in it. Most would consider me a "dark" person because of that.
But spiritually I work 100 percent with light, I am constantly helping others,giving, and a generally loving person, well liked. No mental problems besides minor anxiety issues in vehicles. But because of the way I live my life, I consantly have to protect myself from bad energy just for good measure. All about balance and protection. Goes with anything.

apologies, my definition of "negatively" must differ from yours slightly then. Neither is right or wrong, simply different. The limitations of the written word again.

I wasn't getting "worked up" just looking to explore what you had said further.

People are affected by different things and in different ways. I know that if I listened to a lot of music like the first link I posted I would soon be a very unhappy person. This is why I actually don't listen to Kate Rusby any more as i found it was depressing me.

You could say that eating chocolate doesn't affect someone negatively, but if you eat a lot then it does. Why would anything else be any different?

People who are unhappy attract and are attracted to low vibrational things, that can include music that lowers the mood, this then attracts more low vibrational things. This can lead to wallowing and stops the person moving on. Something has to change for them to get out of this cycle, it could be anything, but it could be a change in music choice.

I will add that I personally don't treat metal and goth any different to any other music. I love my metal, goth and industrial. I would consider any genre as containing music that lowers the mood.

Sungirl
16-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I know plenty of people that listen to darker music like heavy metal during their workouts,while driving, or whatever. I know plenty of people that listen to dark music that are just fine. The same can be said about sad or horror movies.
I also think that anything can be bad for anyone if there is not a balance, even if it is something considered positive.

I think that means we are in agreement then. :D Like I say, I don't consider the genre of Metal as dark. I do think there are examples of every genre that could bring someone's mood down tho. And I think that is individual to all people. A song that makes one person happy could make another sad. I often find songs about deep love make me feel sad.

It's not about genre, it's about being aware of how things affect you and making sure there is that balance that you talk about.

I'm deeply attracted to and dabble in both the light and dark areas of life, for example, I've been a Professional Dominatrix for a decade because I have a personal interest in it. Most would consider me a "dark" person because of that.
But spiritually I work 100 percent with light, I am constantly helping others,giving, and a generally loving person, well liked. No mental problems besides minor anxiety issues in vehicles. But because of the way I live my life, I consantly have to protect myself from bad energy just for good measure. All about balance and protection. Goes with anything.

To me "light" and "dark" are a matter of perspective. I see nothing wrong with being a Dominatrix. I don't see that as "dark" at all. The act hasn't changed, just the perspective.

Being a pagan/biker/metal head/goth could put me on the side of "dark" in some people's eyes. Meh.... let them think that about me, I know the truth. :tongue: