PDA

View Full Version : UK Spiritualist Churches

abikisses
21-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Do you have a favourite one to go to?

I've always had amazing experiences from Balham and Clapham churches down in London. I did some development at Barnes although I found them 'modern' there was still the old hierarchy I'm better than you which you can get in some churches

Up here in the North West I've only been to Altrincham but considering the Manchester one... I love the community at Altrincham, although mostly they are over 50 and I feel I'm not going to get the type of support I would like in my development, just due to the fact nobody has the energy to run a class like this.

Blessings
Abikisses

:hug2:

Native spirit
21-11-2010, 05:43 PM
:hug3: I Went to a spiritulist church many years ago in Chester i found it to be very boring and not run properly,and thats not saying anything about the ppl who went there and thaught they were better than anyone else.
so i left and went to a Healing Sanctury what a difference i went there for many moons,

Namaste

Tricia
21-11-2010, 06:20 PM
It's been a while since I atteneded one, however there was one I went to a number of years ago, it was brillant! It was so popular, most of the time it was standing room only!
There were also some very good mediums, one in particular who had a great sense of humor gave spot on messages and really lifted the vibrations in the room.
I have since heard though, it is nothing it used to be.

abikisses
21-11-2010, 06:38 PM
:hug3: I Went to a spiritulist church many years ago in Chester i found it to be very boring and not run properly,and thats not saying anything about the ppl who went there and thaught they were better than anyone else.
so i left and went to a Healing Sanctury what a difference i went there for many moons,

Namaste

Lol my granny goes to the Chester one, I have to agree though! :icon_eek:

mac
21-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Churches are only as good as the organisers and the mediums they engage - along with their congregation.

Even the worst is likely to be heaps less bad than going to a mainstream church.....:D

abikisses
21-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Churches are only as good as the organisers and the mediums they engage - along with their congregation.

Even the worst is likely to be heaps less bad than going to a mainstream church.....:D

Sooo true! :D

Tricia
21-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Exactly Mac:smile:

JeremyMM
13-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I have visited a large number of Spiritualist Churches as a speaker and demonstrator over the past 20 years. In that time I have made some good friends. Generally, all the churches I visit are warm and welcoming, so I don't have a favourite. But some churches have a greater sense community than others. Sadly, I note more and more that congregations are declining and some churches are forced to closure. I think that the decline in church congregations of all denominations is impacting in the same way on spiritualism. I also find the service is followed by most churches I visit is out-of-date and may be off putting to younger searchers.

mac
13-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I have visited a large number of Spiritualist Churches as a speaker and demonstrator over the past 20 years. In that time I have made some good friends. Generally, all the churches I visit are warm and welcoming, so I don't have a favourite. But some churches have a greater sense community than others. Sadly, I note more and more that congregations are declining and some churches are forced to closure. I think that the decline in church congregations of all denominations is impacting in the same way on spiritualism. I also find the service is followed by most churches I visit is out-of-date and may be off putting to younger searchers.
Good posting! I'm nearly 64 and I find churches feel out-of-date, the so-called Divine Services especially so. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Spiritualist so if I find 'em this way, I'd expect young 'uns to go once and never return...

It's a shame as the churches can be lovely and without the nonsense of mainstream religions, they ought to have huge appeal for the true enquirer.

JeremyMM
13-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Good posting! I'm nearly 64 and I find churches feel out-of-date, the so-called Divine Services especially so. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Spiritualist so if I find 'em this way, I'd expect young 'uns to go once and never return...

It's a shame as the churches can be lovely and without the nonsense of mainstream religions, they ought to have huge appeal for the true enquirer.

Hi Mac,

I think that's the problem - we all want to enjoy the experience but are quite often disappointed. Churches are often run by cliques which can also be off putting.

Cheers

Jeremy

mac
13-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Mac,

I think that's the problem - we all want to enjoy the experience but are quite often disappointed. Churches are often run by cliques which can also be off putting.

Cheers

Jeremy

hello Jeremy

Cliques can be a problem in any organisation.:icon_frown: The major problem is, I suggest, more that the Spiritualist church has no figurehead, no mouthpiece and no contemporary teachers as SB and the others. The SNU is a laughing-stock amongst those who've followed the PN saga.

What do we have left? :icon_frown:

JeremyMM
13-12-2010, 12:24 PM

So many of our figure-heads are now in Spirit: Gordon Higginson, Harry Edwards; Ivy Northage; Tom Johanson - to name just a few. I agree that without one voice any organisation is going to find it tough.

mac
13-12-2010, 12:30 PM
So many of our figure-heads are now in Spirit: Gordon Higginson, Harry Edwards; Ivy Northage; Tom Johanson - to name just a few. I agree that without one voice any organisation is going to find it tough.

"I agree that without one voice any organisation is going to find it tough" To the degree that I don't see a future unless there's a complete turn-around.

Not in my lifetime I expect....:crybaby2: I'd love to be wrong, though.

Jules
13-12-2010, 01:08 PM
oh my oh my what have you done Abs lol. My favourite pet hate.

Altrincham is a nice enough church as a one off now and again, but it's the same as most. Once you start going on a regular basis the back stabbing and jealousies start to emerge.

I was a member at Denton for quite a while, run by a little fella named Albert and I loved him to death (scuse the pun) what a fabulously serene energy he had. To me, he was the epitome of Spiritualism per se. No matter who you were, he would always always always make you welcome, offer some kind words, give you a smile, you get my drift. Then there were the clux. I'm not going to name them for obvious reasons, but what I will say one of them is a Minister AND a teacher down in Stanstead. How the devil he's managed to keep that position for so long is beyond me. Where his empathy, compassion, integrity, love has gone I don't know but him and his wife .. and mac I may have spoken with you a while ago about this .. between the two of them can put a 'fledgling' (how I soo hate that word grr) down in one fell swoop. The confidence that pair knocked out of me at the beginning was no ones business. Well in more recent times too if I'm honest. We all go through bad times where we just can't seem to link. If we're under the weather or whatever and to be fair to the bloke he was pushed on cold as the medium hadn't turned up. Anyway he just did not get a mediumistic link at all. Now and again he'd get a psychic link and someone would take it, that's how general it was. His wife came on and took over. You could feel how sorry people felt for him, nobody called him, nobody judged him .. well none that I was aware of anyway. We had open circle at the end and all night I'd got spirit digging me and I KNEW who I was going to, the lady at the front so I got up gave the message and it was crystal clear. She said to the fella and his wife when we were having coffee after, You want to have this girl (!!!) in your closed circle, she's turning into an excellent medium .. the woman turned round and said well he can ave er I'm not .. and walked away, he followed after her. I was absolutely mortified. I've never been back since.

But that aside, for the most part there is just too much jealousy and doctrine within the SNU and imo if they carry on, they're going to lose the membership altogether if they don't stop all this archaic teaching. I'm sure, having read and heard so much about Gordon Higginson (I must admit I do so admire that man) if he were still alive there'd be none of what's going on today. I believe he was thoroughly unique in his approach, he was groundbreaking and a go getter - coupled with being a sensitive, empathic, caring man who took the time to know people, to listen to the world around him, to listen to spirit and be guided by them.

Crewe's a lovely church though. I platformed there, the energy of the place was incredible, and the people were lovely. Bristol's also a lovely church and so is Middlesborough. I've done seminars at both those, and met some lovely lovely people. But yet again, you come away, and find out that the same things are going on in those that are in your own church, so it's nationwide.

Ah well, I'll go back to me hideyhole now I've had me say .. great thread Abs, nice to see you again

Love light and laughter
Jue xxx

If they would just bring in younger mediums, allowing them to bring new ideas to the table, enabling the SNU to move into the 21st century it would get people back into the churches. that's all it would take, but instead what's happening. Ego is getting in the way, pure and simple.

Orbie
13-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Ive not had the guts to get to Altrincham even though I emailed them explaining my hearing problem and the problems this would give me in a development circle, as well as asking for their advice. Have to say they sent a lovely reply and recommened I mailed Stanstead Hall.

Both times at other local snu churches I got a no we are not interested our circle is closed. I was desperate for support and just got a cold shoulder, I was amazed at the response.

Nice to hear they were lovely at Altrincham, might get my big girl trousers on and go sometime!!

jazz
15-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi I'm involved with the Hebden bridge church and have been for almost 2 hrs .it's the most amazing church for me .I'm training in healing and in the most amazing development group there .I quiet often chair the service too which gives me confidence I will defernatly serve Hebden bridge as a. Medium when I'm good enough / ready can't wait for the day to come . Please come and join our service sometime and introduce yourself we r a loveley warm bunch of all ages hrs ago I remember churches used to be attended by wot I called at the time little old ladies lol .. Ok I'm 53 depending on Ur age I may b one of those little old ladies lol lol lol .I'm so happy I'm delirious lol we have a laugh too . Any way I could ramble on 4 ever bout it .oh and yes I'm not daft about not knowing that church can b clique and a word that makes me laugh is : my church : I wonder if iv even used it here lol.there's been a bit of a shift /upliftment in Hebden church recently and we have got a new blast of energies and the new year will be even better . By the way it is an snu church so we do have to follow guide lines sometimes boring and old fashion ancient 1 that I personally think needs to move into present etc but the principles r basic and common sence tho the : wording/language is not my cuppa tea etc god . Brother hood , man blah blah blah but that's me speaking as not just a strong woman and feminist but also a lesbian ! So yeh the wording defo needs challenging lol and no appolizies to the snu either .will I be challenged on that 1 ,not by my church haha there's that word again MY CHURCH .but maybe by the old school snu but never mind eh.............. Love lite and rainbows to u and all jazz Hebden bridge. Spiritualist church west Yorkshire England uk. Xxxxx

JeremyMM
17-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi I'm involved with the Hebden bridge church and have been for almost 2 hrs .it's the most amazing church for me .I'm training in healing and in the most amazing development group there .I quiet often chair the service too which gives me confidence I will defernatly serve Hebden bridge as a. Medium when I'm good enough / ready can't wait for the day to come . Please come and join our service sometime and introduce yourself we r a loveley warm bunch of all ages hrs ago I remember churches used to be attended by wot I called at the time little old ladies lol .. Ok I'm 53 depending on Ur age I may b one of those little old ladies lol lol lol .I'm so happy I'm delirious lol we have a laugh too . Any way I could ramble on 4 ever bout it .oh and yes I'm not daft about not knowing that church can b clique and a word that makes me laugh is : my church : I wonder if iv even used it here lol.there's been a bit of a shift /upliftment in Hebden church recently and we have got a new blast of energies and the new year will be even better . By the way it is an snu church so we do have to follow guide lines sometimes boring and old fashion ancient 1 that I personally think needs to move into present etc but the principles r basic and common sence tho the : wording/language is not my cuppa tea etc god . Brother hood , man blah blah blah but that's me speaking as not just a strong woman and feminist but also a lesbian ! So yeh the wording defo needs challenging lol and no appolizies to the snu either .will I be challenged on that 1 ,not by my church haha there's that word again MY CHURCH .but maybe by the old school snu but never mind eh.............. Love lite and rainbows to u and all jazz Hebden bridge. Spiritualist church west Yorkshire England uk. Xxxxx

Hi Jazz,

It's great to hear someone who's enjoying there spiritualist church as much as you are. I have a feeling it's your energy, enthiusiam and love that's adding the right ingredients there. Unfortunately my recent experiences with churches is not a positive and I don't go unless I take a service. I do think that the SNU is well meaning, but only represents a small percentage of spiritualists so maybe it has limited views? Keep on keeping on!

Jeremy

Serenity Bear
31-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Iv not been able to attend church for health reasons, but I used to be a regular at Eltham Church, Welling Church (when it was at the Kitchener Pub) and a few others. My favourite place to be would the Arthur Findlay College services.

The problem I did find was the cliques in most of the churches. They make it very uncomfortable to attend. Iv been told off for not wearing tights in the Summer - it was in the 80 degree heat. Then all the regulars sat on ones side of the church while the newbies on the other (I attended the church for over 4 years but was still a newbie and thus denied membership and SNU membership).

I agree the standard of mediumship even back then was shoddy. They made it virtually impossible to get into development class and healing courses unless you went to EVERY service for a year and then if the face didnt fit.

Personally Iv found the voice chat forums to be an ideal place for Spiritualism to thrive. Many people cant leave their houses due to disablity and ill health; Im really surprised no one has got on the band wagon and got a Internet Church up and running.

Orbie
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
:D Ahhhh now that made me smile....tights... I got told the same thing on my first interview for a teaching post, it was 80 degree heat too! I didn't ask how my lack of tights would impact on my teaching ability but I wasnt 46 then!!:D

Out of interest anyone here go to Altrincham by any chance?

Nickod
03-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Denton Manchester is a very welcoming church ....accessible too

peterdoswell
19-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Hello Dear Friend

I have had the pleasure of serving many many spiritulaist churches across the UK including clapham . Not many people know that clapham spiritualist church used to indeed be a part of oliver cromwells quarters . My memory of that particular church was a very wet and windy night . My mother came to watch me work as the medium and was spooked by the fact that she had to go out of the church down some crooked old steps to an outside toilet . However the mediumship at the church went well for me :)

Peter Doswell

abikisses
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
"I agree that without one voice any organisation is going to find it tough" To the degree that I don't see a future unless there's a complete turn-around.

Not in my lifetime I expect....:crybaby2: I'd love to be wrong, though.

It is a shame but I have to agree too.

I best get in there :wink:

Abikisses

abikisses
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
oh my oh my what have you done Abs lol. My favourite pet hate.

Altrincham is a nice enough church as a one off now and again, but it's the same as most. Once you start going on a regular basis the back stabbing and jealousies start to emerge.

I was a member at Denton for quite a while, run by a little fella named Albert and I loved him to death (scuse the pun) what a fabulously serene energy he had. To me, he was the epitome of Spiritualism per se. No matter who you were, he would always always always make you welcome, offer some kind words, give you a smile, you get my drift. Then there were the clux. I'm not going to name them for obvious reasons, but what I will say one of them is a Minister AND a teacher down in Stanstead. How the devil he's managed to keep that position for so long is beyond me. Where his empathy, compassion, integrity, love has gone I don't know but him and his wife .. and mac I may have spoken with you a while ago about this .. between the two of them can put a 'fledgling' (how I soo hate that word grr) down in one fell swoop. The confidence that pair knocked out of me at the beginning was no ones business. Well in more recent times too if I'm honest. We all go through bad times where we just can't seem to link. If we're under the weather or whatever and to be fair to the bloke he was pushed on cold as the medium hadn't turned up. Anyway he just did not get a mediumistic link at all. Now and again he'd get a psychic link and someone would take it, that's how general it was. His wife came on and took over. You could feel how sorry people felt for him, nobody called him, nobody judged him .. well none that I was aware of anyway. We had open circle at the end and all night I'd got spirit digging me and I KNEW who I was going to, the lady at the front so I got up gave the message and it was crystal clear. She said to the fella and his wife when we were having coffee after, You want to have this girl (!!!) in your closed circle, she's turning into an excellent medium .. the woman turned round and said well he can ave er I'm not .. and walked away, he followed after her. I was absolutely mortified. I've never been back since.

But that aside, for the most part there is just too much jealousy and doctrine within the SNU and imo if they carry on, they're going to lose the membership altogether if they don't stop all this archaic teaching. I'm sure, having read and heard so much about Gordon Higginson (I must admit I do so admire that man) if he were still alive there'd be none of what's going on today. I believe he was thoroughly unique in his approach, he was groundbreaking and a go getter - coupled with being a sensitive, empathic, caring man who took the time to know people, to listen to the world around him, to listen to spirit and be guided by them.

Crewe's a lovely church though. I platformed there, the energy of the place was incredible, and the people were lovely. Bristol's also a lovely church and so is Middlesborough. I've done seminars at both those, and met some lovely lovely people. But yet again, you come away, and find out that the same things are going on in those that are in your own church, so it's nationwide.

Ah well, I'll go back to me hideyhole now I've had me say .. great thread Abs, nice to see you again

Love light and laughter
Jue xxx

If they would just bring in younger mediums, allowing them to bring new ideas to the table, enabling the SNU to move into the 21st century it would get people back into the churches. that's all it would take, but instead what's happening. Ego is getting in the way, pure and simple.

Sorry for the late reply!

How are you Jules? Looking lovely as ever... Needed a bit of time out, you know how it goes :wink:

Would love to see you in action btw!

Abikisses x

abikisses
08-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Ive not had the guts to get to Altrincham even though I emailed them explaining my hearing problem and the problems this would give me in a development circle, as well as asking for their advice. Have to say they sent a lovely reply and recommened I mailed Stanstead Hall.

Both times at other local snu churches I got a no we are not interested our circle is closed. I was desperate for support and just got a cold shoulder, I was amazed at the response.

Nice to hear they were lovely at Altrincham, might get my big girl trousers on and go sometime!!

Did you get anywhere Orbie?

Abikisses x

abikisses
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
:D Ahhhh now that made me smile....tights... I got told the same thing on my first interview for a teaching post, it was 80 degree heat too! I didn't ask how my lack of tights would impact on my teaching ability but I wasnt 46 then!!:D

Out of interest anyone here go to Altrincham by any chance?

I do Orbie, it's my local!

Abikisses x

abikisses
08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Denton Manchester is a very welcoming church ....accessible too

Good to hear some good news!

Orbie
13-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I do Orbie, it's my local!

Abikisses x

:smile: Hello there! Have mailed you. Would love to see Jules in action too! x

mac
13-08-2011, 06:59 PM
:smile: Hello there! Have mailed you. Would love to see Jules in action too! x

Still bashing the boards then, N? :wink:

Orbie
13-08-2011, 08:01 PM
:) well I am a tad sporadic nowadays but nice to be here :)

Achilles
14-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Yeah theres a few in Liverpool

Left Behind
11-01-2012, 02:37 AM
I'd be happy to have even ONE locally. UK Spiritualists are very fortunate.

Is anyone here familiar with Fleetwood Spiritualist Church?

Jim

norseman
13-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I had an experience which made me appreciate Spiritualist Healers a lot more. Where I live, there was a group of Healers in the Market Place talking to people and doing hands-on healing. One approached me and began to talk to me. I explained that I was "old-school" pagan and that I had done some healing. He invited me to join him in healing a woman. So, I did. Afterwards, he thanked me and invited me to his Spiritualist Church. I didn't go but I wish I had :smile:

Left Behind
13-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Go another time, Norseman. :smile:

Jim

mac
14-01-2012, 12:58 AM
I had an experience which made me appreciate Spiritualist Healers a lot more. Where I live, there was a group of Healers in the Market Place talking to people and doing hands-on healing. One approached me and began to talk to me. I explained that I was "old-school" pagan and that I had done some healing. He invited me to join him in healing a woman. So, I did. Afterwards, he thanked me and invited me to his Spiritualist Church. I didn't go but I wish I had :smile:

Don't forget it's not the practitioner who does the healing.... (S)he is simply a channel for the energy.

mac
14-01-2012, 01:02 AM

For clarity, Spiritualist healers shouldn't carry out "hands-on" healing.

norseman
14-01-2012, 02:04 PM
For clarity, Spiritualist healers shouldn't carry out "hands-on" healing.

oops, wrong words. By "hands-on" I meant live , there and then - not literally the laying on of hands. :smile:

norseman
14-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Don't forget it's not the practitioner who does the healing.... (S)he is simply a channel for the energy.

Absolutely !

Reapy
13-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I regularly go to the bournemouth church and they're very warm and welcoming, although the congregation is very small. I also seem to be the youngest member there, which I think is a shame. I've tried to bring friends along with me, but they tend to go once and not come back.

There's not much of a community feel for me, but I've put that down to my physical appearance (my hair is currently bright pink). Seeing as most other members are over 50, I could appear quite intimidating.

Still. I enjoy the oasis of calm it provides.

mac
14-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I regularly go to the bournemouth church and they're very warm and welcoming, although the congregation is very small. I also seem to be the youngest member there, which I think is a shame. I've tried to bring friends along with me, but they tend to go once and not come back.

There's not much of a community feel for me, but I've put that down to my physical appearance (my hair is currently bright pink). Seeing as most other members are over 50, I could appear quite intimidating.

Still. I enjoy the oasis of calm it provides.

I'm glad you're enjoying going.

Small congregations are nothing unusual and neither is the lack of interest - old or young alike. Your hair (possibly your overall appearance) may indeed be intimidating or at least a distraction. I'd guess the reason you have it is to look different so it's understandable that you do! We know that beauty is only skin deep but humankind is fickle and these things make more of an impression than really they should.

But first impressions only last a short time with most folk and what you say, what you stand for is what truly matters. And if Spiritualism is your interest then there are other online communities which may appeal to you. Let me know....

Reapy
14-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying going.

Small congregations are nothing unusual and neither is the lack of interest - old or young alike. Your hair (possibly your overall appearance) may indeed be intimidating or at least a distraction. I'd guess the reason you have it is to look different so it's understandable that you do! We know that beauty is only skin deep but humankind is fickle and these things make more of an impression than really they should.

But first impressions only last a short time with most folk and what you say, what you stand for is what truly matters. And if Spiritualism is your interest then there are other online communities which may appeal to you. Let me know....

I know that my hair makes me stand out, and peoples impressions don't bother me at all. If they did, Id go back to my natural brown. :-) The main reason for my hair is that Im a bright, outgoing person and I don't feel comfortable unless my physical appearance reflects that, strange really. :-)

Im still finding my feet on this path and would love some links to other communities that could also help me. :-)

Left Behind
15-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Mac has many links for you, if Spiritualist forums are what you're after. :smile:

Jim

jazz
28-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I GAVE A POSITVE POST IN DEC 2010,,,,, changed my mind now ah man im still loving hebden bridge church and my healing and development etc ,,,but just packed up being acting president position ( which i would have been voted in for at the march 2012 AGM ) which loved ,,why ,,,, i cant be doing with the snu and the bloody rule book ,,,,,,, which only applies when it suits ,,,if u get my drift ,,,,say no more ,,,,,,, ..love lite and rainbows jazz

Left Behind
28-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I'm not in the UK, Jazz, and am not up to speed with all the stuff involving the SNU: but I know that they have made many enemies. :icon_frown:

Apparently their "killing" of Psychic News (now happily resurrected, under independent ownership :smile: ) played a big part in all this.

Jim

rosequartzcrazy
18-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I know this is an old thread, but have enjoyed reading the previous comments.
I have very recently started attending an independant spiritual church in my area, and i have to say it is absolutely amazing!!!
Everyone was very friendly and warm on my first visit, i was even lucky enough to have a reading by the medium that day as well.
He was absolutely spot on with things that have happened recently in my life, even down to the month that my troubles manifested. He even suggested that i receive healing after the service, which was the best thing that could have happened for me. The tranformation in my emotions, mindset & general outlook about my future took a huge upswing after that first healing session.
I intend to visit church as often as i can, the benefits to me have been amazing. i cant thank everyone there enough for their kindness to a newbie..

Belle
28-01-2013, 10:32 AM
rosequartzcrazy how wonderful that you have had such a positive experience, may it be the start of many more!

Yes, huge problems in the arena of SNU. Aren't we humans just fragile beings.

Shazzysun
09-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I went through a phase of attending many different churches and I felt that overall, something was lacking. I feel many people feel the same way, that's why the numbers are dwindling. They should employ a system where it is not so strict and rigid, where people can collaborate and contribute to each and others growth rather than the one minister or pastor claiming that he has all the answers and preaching to everybody. It should be more inclusive rather than dictating.