PDA

View Full Version : Learning

Sarah456
12-04-2014, 01:41 PM
Hi so i'm really interesting in learning more about Buddhism. As a Buddhist, how do you answer each of these questions in life?

1. What is the origin of the universe and man?

2. What is the purpose of mankind?

3. What is satisfaction and how do I obtain it?

4. Why do bad things happen to good people?/why is there evil in the world?

5. What happens when I fail and how do I make things right?

6. What is right and wrong? (Is moral truth absolute or relative?)

7. Is there a universal moral law? (Does everyone know the difference between right and wrong?)

8. What happens at death?

thank you so much for helping me learn more!

Mrs Merrieweather
12-04-2014, 04:40 PM
1. I don't know, there is no beginning. We are one with all creation of the universe

2. To achieve enlightenment

3. Happiness and inner peace...Meditation (not sure which satisfaction. It is used in different ways)

4. Unpure heart, filled with delutions and attachments, Karma. (For both questions)

5. Regret, feeling remorse, admitting your mistake.
Resolve, determining not to repeat that destructive action again.
Reliance, refuge in the Three Jewels, dedication to others to eliminate negativity
Remedy, taking specific positive actions to counter balance what ever negativity you created.
Even with this, you still maynot have deleted all negative karmic seeds and feel its effects later on.

6. Taking refuge in the Three Jeweles, receiving the Precepts or guidelines.
Do Not : kill, steal, engage insexual misconduct, lie, abuse intoxicants , speak of others faults, elevate yourself and blame others, vent to anger, do not defile the 3 Jeweles of Refuge. It is relative to intent.

7. There are many traditions with different variations. There are the Four Nobles Truths which is at the core of Buddhist teachings.

8. There is rebirth.

sunsoul
12-04-2014, 05:19 PM
What is the origin of the universe and man?

In Buddhism there is no beginning. There have been endless kalpas in the universe that stretch beyond human understanding. In fact, the question of creation was one of the fourteen unanswerable questions that the Buddha said were distracting and hinderances to those on the path.

What is the purpose of mankind?

The purpose is to end suffering and follow the Eightfold path until enlightenment.

What is satisfaction and how do I obtain it?

Satisfaction in Sanskrit has many connotations and meanings. But, the basic principle it that lasting satisfaction cannot be found in the mundane world where pleasures are fleeting. Real contentment comes from following the path that leads to tranquility, compassion and wisdom. Our mind becomes more settled and we find mental equanimity:

If it can be remedied,
Why get into a foul mood over something?
And if it can’t be remedied,
What help is it to get into a foul mood over it? Shantideva VI.10

Why do bad things happen to good people?/why is there evil in the world?

Karma is a universal law. We sow seeds that will ripen at some point in the future:

According to the seed that’s sown,
So is the fruit you reap there from,
Doer of good will gather good,
Doer of evil, evil reaps,
Down is the seed and thou shalt taste
The fruit thereof. Samyutta Nikaya

The basic workings of karma can be understood but as for the future outcome, this is beyond our understanding.
What is important is that we all have the opportunity in the here and now to shape our future as karma is not destiny or set in stone:

If anyone says that a man or woman must reap in this life according to his present deeds,
in that case there is no religious life, nor is an opportunity afforded for the entire extinction of sorrow.
But if anyone says that what a man or woman reaps in this and future lives accords with his or her deeds present and past,
in that case there is a religious life, and an opportunity is afforded for the entire extinction of a sorrow. Anguttara Nikaya

What happens when I fail and how do I make things right?

You keep on going. Humans are fallible, but with Right Effort (one of the components of the Eightfold Path) you presevere, build up your practice, engage in your meditation, and over time create a strong energy that will carry you forth. Virya is the Sanskrit word, which means 'hero', and virya paramita is the perfection of positive effort. Its opposites are sloth and defeatism.

What is right and wrong? (Is moral truth absolute or relative?)

Is there a universal moral law? (Does everyone know the difference between right and wrong?)

I will put these two questions together. From a Buddhist view, there is a right and wrong. The central issue is our state of mind, and our actions will be determined by this, and that is why it is important to be conscious of our deeds in body, speech and mind. Our training will help us become more sensitised to the effects of our inner and outer actions, and we will be able to take control and not be blown around like a ship on a stormy sea.

As our mind becomes clearer, we will clearly see the difference between right and wrong. When our mind is cloudy, the difference may not be so clear. (And, our state of mind can be quite changeable, especially at the beginning of the path.)

sunsoul
12-04-2014, 05:26 PM
What happens at death?

In a nutshell, the conditioned mind and habitual tendencies (store consciousness, manas or whatever you may want to call it) will pass over and inhabit a new body. In the Tibetan traditions this is called bardo and it is explained in great detail and you can find more information online. The Dalai Lama has said that in his daily practice he always prepares for death. This is because for the Buddhist, the opportunity to overcome fear comes at the point of death, and the ability to move out of samsara and into the deathless state (nirvana).

Mrs Merrieweather
12-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Nicely said Sunsoul ;)

CSEe
13-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi so i'm really interesting in learning more about Buddhism. As a Buddhist, how do you answer each of these questions in life?

7. Is there a universal moral law? (Does everyone know the difference between right and wrong?)

Perhaps as you awaken to Buddhism concept , you will realized that Buddhism is a process of self realization , realizing your existence , cause of your existence ....is you realizing your emotion ...your desire , your fear , your greed , your love etc ...and perhaps you will realize that is always your desire to seek answer to fulfill your desire to know......perhaps you will realize that you do not "need" to know as knowledge is just a tiny part of the whole process into self realization .........in regards to your above questions, Buddhism is simply realizing your desire to know , realizing your emotion on or for knowing , realizing the cause of desire for knowing not on the answer of the question ...thats my current understanding of Buddhism ....I hope you could understand me , if not I will explain further ...

CSEe
13-04-2014, 01:29 PM
In current human culture , knowledge is the basis of all and gaining knowledge has always been a ultimate part of human culture ....in this culture , human has became part of the knowledge itself and this culture seems endless ..........awaken to Buddhism concept , one will realized that knowledge is just something that told to us , information by our society , education , schools , finding answer for our experiences , discovery ......it is just an information but yet it has indeed became a vital part of human livelihood / culture ...........awaken to Buddhism , one will realized that buddhism is much-much more beyond knowledge , and knowledge is just a tiny little part of Buddhism ........so the desire to seek for knowledge , greed on gaining the knowledge , ego for keeping the knowledge , love of knowing etc will seems to be something caused by own emotion and confused over own emotion of holding on to the knowledge .........awaken to Buddhism concept , one will realized that realizing is beyond knowing ...........so one will over of the desire to know and beyond the need to know ..........

CSEe
13-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Just sharing my CURRENT understanding and will further explain if interested .....
Energy ......in human known as emotion
No purpose ...just travelling back into original condition of nothingness...this process to me is known as Buddhism
Suffering ...is caused by your confusion for having it , enjoying it and be a part of it
There is no "good or bad , right or wrong , true or false in Buddhism concept
Be awake and you will never be right or wrong as all is part of your process into your self realization ...this process is Buddhism
In human culture where knowledge is used as basis , yes but Buddhism is beyond knowledge and there is no right or wrong concept
Buddhism is the process of all ...regardless living or non-living , beyond what we could hear or know .............and is the only happening of all .
Death is part of the process of the body which never related to you ........is the body Buddhism process into nothingness.
In Buddhism , there is no others except own self ...so nothing that I could offer for you except only for my emotion