PDA

View Full Version : Going within?

lilybug
05-04-2014, 09:01 PM
This may be a silly question but I've never really understood what it means to look within or go deep inside yourself to let the ego drop ect. I meditate (not regularly) but when I do I don't bother thinking about anything I just relax and focus on my breath and my main reason for meditation is to calm my stress tension and anxieties. So what does it actually mean to go inside yourself?

p.s. sorry if this was the wrong section I wasn't sure where to post this!

Naddread
05-04-2014, 09:11 PM
For me going within means shutting out external opinion and influence, social norms, societal trends etc. and really discovering what it is that I value, what are my principles (etymologically: first things, foundation) and then observing my thoughts, emotions and actions to see if I am living in contradiction with those principles or not. If I find that I am then it also involves working with that shadow element (those things that I have subconsciously pushed into the shadows of my being) and bringing them into harmony with who it is that I am.

~Naddread~

Mr Interesting
05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
You're fine Lilybug... it's a natural process that pretty much takes care of itself. Just yesterday, and I've been meditating for years and years, I came across a name for something that I'd encountered and having been kinda using without really knowing what it was then I just happened to look in the Buddhism section and opened a post and there it was... it had a name and everything.

You'll just keep encountering your inner life a bit at a time, grow used to it, wonder what it is, learn how to be at peace within the newer concepts, even without being intellectually sure of what they are, and just keep expanding at a pace that suits your wants and needs. So really... it's just exactly what you've started and a process that goes on and on... to very nice places... which aren't places... but still kinda are.

lilybug
05-04-2014, 10:43 PM
For me going within means shutting out external opinion and influence, social norms, societal trends etc. and really discovering what it is that I value, what are my principles (etymologically: first things, foundation) and then observing my thoughts, emotions and actions to see if I am living in contradiction with those principles or not. If I find that I am then it also involves working with that shadow element (those things that I have subconsciously pushed into the shadows of my being) and bringing them into harmony with who it is that I am.

~Naddread~

Oh that is great! Thanks a lot that makes so much sense when you put it that way. I try to do the same but what I'm not very good at is keeping my calm when I'm upset/angry that is something that I've been trying to work on it's very difficult for me and that is what made me wonder how to go within because I know it's something deeply routed I assume from my father because when he was angry or upset he would throw stuff and yell and stomp around the house, we were always walking on eggshells around him and now I am ashamed I do the same thing not as often as he would but it happens and I always feel terribly guilty and embarrassed afterwards, I would love to pull those weeds out! Thanks so much (:

Uma
05-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Hi lilybug,

"Going within" means getting centered with the deeper part of you. But if your intention is just relaxation and calming down you don't need to go terribly deep to accomplish that.

If you are really distressed, I would suggest physical activity to release it from the body first or else you will be too distracted to meditate.

Sometimes calming music helps in the background... or doing whatever puts you into a calm space where your mind isn't racing with thoughts of the past or future.

There are all kinds of meditation techniques to help you get centered. You can focus on the breath and make the breath slow, deep and controlled. Think of subtle energy in the breath and direct that to your naval chakra - or if the mind is too active breathe in that subtle energy through your brow chakra. Try different things to see what works best for you.

Ascension
05-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Jesus speak of the kingdom of god while buddha speak enlightenment ,
when you understand what it means then ( GO WITHIN ) becomes an act .
there is something inside us ready to be unfold , the light ...

lilybug
05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
You're fine Lilybug... it's a natural process that pretty much takes care of itself. Just yesterday, and I've been meditating for years and years, I came across a name for something that I'd encountered and having been kinda using without really knowing what it was then I just happened to look in the Buddhism section and opened a post and there it was... it had a name and everything.

You'll just keep encountering your inner life a bit at a time, grow used to it, wonder what it is, learn how to be at peace within the newer concepts, even without being intellectually sure of what they are, and just keep expanding at a pace that suits your wants and needs. So really... it's just exactly what you've started and a process that goes on and on... to very nice places... which aren't places... but still kinda are.

Thank you so much for that information, that does add up because I'm 27 right now and I've slowly been growing into myself and my own ideals for the past 3 years now. I'm excited every day for the growth and learning process, spiritual I feel like I'm on the best path I have been on ever and I do notice that I become more aware of my words, actions, thoughts ect. as the days go by! I'm happy I asked this question you really helped me to realize I am where I need to be right now (:

lilybug
05-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Hi lilybug,

"Going within" means getting centered with the deeper part of you. But if your intention is just relaxation and calming down you don't need to go terribly deep to accomplish that.

If you are really distressed, I would suggest physical activity to release it from the body first or else you will be too distracted to meditate.

Sometimes calming music helps in the background... or doing whatever puts you into a calm space where your mind isn't racing with thoughts of the past or future.

There are all kinds of meditation techniques to help you get centered. You can focus on the breath and make the breath slow, deep and controlled. Think of subtle energy in the breath and direct that to your naval chakra - or if the mind is too active breathe in that subtle energy through your brow chakra. Try different things to see what works best for you.

Hello and thank you for the info! My question was really focused on going within I only mentioned that I was meditating for stress and that I did not use that technique to go within if that was an option to do so. I hope that makes sense! (: Also I forgot to mention those are great ideas for stress relief I often listen to yoga music to relax me before bed as my job gets pretty stressful so I need an unwind afterwards, thanks again!

lilybug
05-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Jesus speak of the kingdom of god while buddha speak enlightenment ,
when you understand what it means then ( GO WITHIN ) becomes an act .
there is something inside us ready to be unfold , the light ...

This is what confuses me and I don't really understand what going within means when it is worded like this. I thank you for taking the time to write that out for me though (: you are very kind! I think what Mr Interesting and Naddread said is exactly what I needed to understand the meaning of what you are saying.

Uma
05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Hello and thank you for the info! My question was really focused on going within I only mentioned that I was meditating for stress and that I did not use that technique to go within if that was an option to do so. I hope that makes sense! (:

Are you confused about what "going within" means? Or are you looking for a technique to "go within"? I'm not sure which it is.

Every meditation begins with an intention - whether conscious or unconscious.

lilybug
05-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Are you confused about what "going within" means? Or are you looking for a technique to "go within"? I'm not sure which it is.

Every meditation begins with an intention - whether conscious or unconscious.

Sorry, I was confused about what going within meant (:

Uma
05-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Sorry, I was confused about what going within meant (:

Got it :)

For me going within means peeling away the onion skin layers of my being.
Outer layer - physical body
Next layer - active mind (some call it the astral body)
Next layer - inactive mind (some call it the causal body)
Core of my being - spirit - infinite and eternal Source - universal point of consciousness

But people will argue over this and that model of being. Really the experiences are the same.

The deeper you go, the more self-mastery you achieve because it is the deeper part of oneself that controls the rest.

Miss Hepburn
06-04-2014, 03:48 PM
"Something" inside us ready to unfold....I liked that very much, Ascension.
Reminded me of Psalm 91...going to that "secret place".

My focus within is pretty much concentrated in "looking", (also hearing and
feeling and tasting, but u have to know a technique for that).

But "watching", or the visuals that come for me to sit back in wonder and enjoy...
focusing in the fontanel or the 3rd eye region is where my "going within" is mostly...but,
always with ear plugs in, it (my attention) merges a bit with harmonies ( or sounds, let's say)...
after sometimes 2-3 hours....that is when a whole "world" opens..and it is
different each time!!
But, always full of love and joy, insights given galore and very exciting!