PDA

View Full Version : Grand National

knightofalbion
05-04-2014, 11:53 AM
It's that time again ...

I will be watching, heart in mouth.

Who will win? Who cares. If they all get round safely I will be happy.

Ecthalion
05-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I shan't be watching.
If we boycott the event maybe one day it will stop.

linen53
05-04-2014, 02:02 PM
We are talking about the hunt horse race?

knightofalbion
05-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Yes, it starts in an hour or so...

linen53
05-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Enjoy! Better get that popcorn ready.

Ecthalion
05-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Enjoy! Better get that popcorn ready.
How can anyone enjoy a spectacle of death?

linen53
05-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Who dies??????

knightofalbion
05-04-2014, 07:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equine_fatalities_in_the_Grand_National

linen53
05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
There is death in every way you look. Behind normal houses with drawn curtains. One can die from stepping in a pothole. Or getting behind the wheel of a car on a plane or a quiet walk in the park just before dark. Death is eminent for every living creature on this planet.

To stop the race because of a few stupid people who enter horses who are clearly not qualified for the race is insane. Those few owners should be taken out and shot.

Jenny Crow
06-04-2014, 05:04 AM
There is death in every way you look. Behind normal houses with drawn curtains. One can die from stepping in a pothole. Or getting behind the wheel of a car on a plane or a quiet walk in the park just before dark. Death is eminent for every living creature on this planet.

To stop the race because of a few stupid people who enter horses who are clearly not qualified for the race is insane. Those few owners should be taken out and shot.

Yes, we know all that. Sorry, but clearly you are not understanding. Horses who have been quite able to win this race have died because of jockey misjudgment and/or horses who were doing well have been hit/knocked down by another falling horse and rider.

And if there are a few stupid people who enter horses who are clearly not qualified for the race it's the horses who suffer (and yes, those owners should be taken out and shot, but that won't happen will it) and to prevent that sort of suffering the race should be stopped. If a jockey gets hurt/maimed/killed that's too bad but he/she knows the risks - a horse doesn't.

To my mind this is one race that should have been stopped years ago.

Native spirit
06-04-2014, 10:02 AM
:icon_eek: I dont watch it its inhuman if you ask me but like everything else its owned by the money men and women they dont care what happens to their horses as long asthe money keeps rolling in.

Namaste

Belle
06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
what native spirit said.

It's the money people who dictate it. Those poor horses who have to be put down from the agonizing death they are facing having had terrible injuries.

yuck yuck yuck.