PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual mentor?

hi-c521
23-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Does anyone see one on a regular basis? Honestly besides this forum, I feel completely alone in my feelings and spirituality. I'm afraid to talk about it with anyone because it's all so new to me, but so fascinating! I just want to talk about it, to learn more, to have someone who understands and can teach me. What people feel like they get out of a great sermon at church, I want that! So, I've been researching spiritual mentorship and I think I may give it a go! Already found one I like the sound of. She does one on one, groups, and workshops.
Does anyone have any advice before I move forward with this? Thanks

Ivy
23-03-2014, 07:50 AM
A spiritual mentor can only teach you their personal experience. In this way to follow one person can be as limiting as it is enlightening.

The two genuine spiritual mentors/healers I have met along my journey, had ways they used to avoid people becoming reliant or dependent upon them. One stated quite clearly that she was only able to give what she had, and recommended that we sought teachings/opinions/advice from a variety of sources in order to give a rounded view. The other was a healer, and was straight forward in saying it is the quality of the healing when needed, that gives... quantity takes. He only ever gave a minimal amount of healing sessions and gave people time to use that healing for themselves.

I have also met those who mentor to fulfil their own ego, those people need others to be dependent on them, and can reveal a nasty side (to the otherwise charming/calm persona) when a person stops following their 'way' or begins to question and think for themselves.

I hope you can take some pointers from that.

But most of all trust in yourself, and understand that your wisdom is within you always.

Niebla0007
23-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Does anyone see one on a regular basis?
I just want to talk about it, to learn more, to have someone who understands and can teach me. What people feel like they get out of a great sermon at church, I want that! So, I've been researching spiritual mentorship and I think I may give it a go! Already found one I like the sound of. She does one on one, groups, and workshops.
Does anyone have any advice before I move forward with this? Thanks
Warm Greetings!
That just also depends on where you are,
finding a "mentor" isn't such a problem anymore in our days unlike the past.
There are workshops, etc. available out there like what you'd find in
University of Metaphysical Sciences
http://www.umsonline.org/cf/FreeResources.cfm

You only need to figure out what you want to achieve,
then, you can pretty much study on your own phase
whether be it informal/personal or formal studies.

I say just watch out for advertised events in your corner of the world you may want to join in like what you'd find in the newspapers,
& community events & activities, too.
Then, you may one day meet the mentor you are looking for.

In some ways, quite a few new age/spirituality writers out there serve as mentors through guidance they provide in their books or articles online.

Lorelyen
23-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Seems important to find your inner mentor and guide(s).

Contemplation (and one of the best times for me is before retiring for the night, carrying to contemplation into the minutes before sleep).

bkveda
24-03-2014, 02:33 PM
In India it is a saying that Teacher arrives when the student is ready. you will find the right mentor at right time. What you seek in your spirituality will draw you to the kind of mentor you will be comfortable with. There is no right mentor but only right intention you can hold to grow. That intention will lead you to right people. it is called will and faith.

I have met numerous people mentors, gurus, teachers who have achieved and grown to such heights still they are human and all humans have limitations. Though I have so many people who can mentor me, my inner self accepted God Himself as mentor and my faith in Him shows the path.

I even mentor people who walk my path and I found I learn more than teach from them.

hi-c521
25-03-2014, 01:50 AM
Thank you all for your help and advice. I have read it all, just not much time to reply much more. Family death, on my way out the door to travel home. Thank you again!