PDA

View Full Version : Humming and clearing the mind before sleeping

neospiritualist
12-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Just a question if this is in any way related to Buddhism.

Whenever i'm having trouble sleeping I hum. Centering the sound somewhere between my throat and nasal cavity. It often works and i either fall asleep after a few minutes or feel energized and clear minded.

I tried this again two nights ago as I was feeling very sick with flu-like symptoms and was able to get a goodnight sleep and my sickness was lessened yesterday.

One unexpected thing is I heard several voices (people i know) talking or yelling as if I was picking up on their brainwaves.

They were asleep during my session.

alhambra
12-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Your feeling clear minded because your concentrating on humming and all other things that clutter our minds are cleared away, your more relaxed hence your getting a good nights sleep. If you dont fall asleep and feel rejuvinated its because your more at peace with yourself, its a form of meditation what your doing. Thats my opinion anyway. I also hear voices when i,m in that state of mind, its as if your more open to pick up on things. Its a nice place to be so just enjoy it.

tttin
14-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Hi neospiritualist,

It is normal. Could you describe or give more information while you cleared your mind, you heard voices.

neospiritualist
14-03-2014, 02:57 AM
Yes. My brother in law yelling at his kids. Also my sister talking. My hum lasts in 20 second intervals. Five minutes in just before i started the next hum then a couple times after I heard the next. As I said before they were all asleep around 2am or so.

Miss Hepburn
14-03-2014, 04:02 AM
Ah, it is pretty well known the Holy Spirit loves singing....I think
humming is the same....sweet dreams...and thanx for the reminder.

tttin
17-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Hi neospiritualist,

(sorry for my bad English)
As alhambra said in post #2, you can clear your mind by concentrating on humming and you can fall asleep by clearing your mind. Besides humming, there is a simple method also can give you a good sleep, that is concentrating your breath.

The breath include breath in and out, and it is natural. So, do not try to control anything in your mind, just "see" (or realize, I do not know exact word) your breath in and out. Normally about 15 minutes, you can feel empty.

There is a way relate to Buddhism, let I re-tell:
You can fall sleep as you want and also want to remove unexpected voices out of your mind. This is a conflict in your mind and make you suffer.

Similiar with your breath, let "see" those voices after you can clear your mind and feel empty. Try to "see": when it begins appearance, how it exist and when it disappear. After seeing this process clearly, you will get the answer that voices are real or fake.

If you try practise, I recommend you to sit like mediation because you will fall asleep when lieing down. It will take you a long time to "see" everything in your mind clearly but I believe that will make you stronger day by day.

You posted "One unexpected thing is I heard several voices" in #1. In other words, sometimes we should remove "unexpected" word instead of "voices". If my words make you confuse, please show them.