PDA

View Full Version : How did she pick up on this?

Emmalevine
16-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Yesterday I went to see a medium who for the most part was very vague and fished for information, so I left very unimpressed. However, one thing she said did make me wonder. A friend of mine who is quite a bit older than me drove me there and initally the medium thought she was me as she'd got out to check the number of the house. Anyway, soon after my friend left and I went up for the reading. As we were walking through the door she said "Oh your mum dropped you off - that's nice." As it was more a statement than a question and I didn't want to give much away I just mumbled something rather than correct her.

About ten minutes or so into the reading the medium suddenly said "Has your mum recently had a hysterectomy?" My mum certainly has not - but the friend who drove me there is in the process of recovery from one!

It only occured to me today that the medium might have been picking up on my friend's surgery somehow, yet of course she still thought she was my mum. She didn't mention that any spirits had told her this, she just came out with it.

Does this seem likely or just a lucky guess? As I said, I was disappointed with most of the reading as there was nothing to go on. I'm wondering if sometimes mediums get the information right but the person wrong or if they get the vibes from people from other people (ie sensing my friend's problem through me).

Moon Willow
16-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi Starbuck,
Sorry to hear that your reading didn't go so well. I don't know why mediums do that (if they are genuine ones), they should be honest if they aren't getting anything through, rather than fishing for info, and just ask if you can come back another time so she can try again.

In regards to your friend, the medium might have used her psychic abilities to pick up on your friends energy and that's how she recognised her surgery? Perhaps pass on some of the info from the reading and see if it resonates for your friend? If not, I would probably find a new medium.

Love, light and blessings,
Moon Willow

mac
16-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Yesterday I went to see a medium who for the most part was very vague and fished for information, so I left very unimpressed. However, one thing she said did make me wonder. A friend of mine who is quite a bit older than me drove me there and initally the medium thought she was me as she'd got out to check the number of the house. Anyway, soon after my friend left and I went up for the reading. As we were walking through the door she said "Oh your mum dropped you off - that's nice." As it was more a statement than a question and I didn't want to give much away I just mumbled something rather than correct her.

About ten minutes or so into the reading the medium suddenly said "Has your mum recently had a hysterectomy?" My mum certainly has not - but the friend who drove me there is in the process of recovery from one!

It only occured to me today that the medium might have been picking up on my friend's surgery somehow, yet of course she still thought she was my mum. She didn't mention that any spirits had told her this, she just came out with it.

Does this seem likely or just a lucky guess? As I said, I was disappointed with most of the reading as there was nothing to go on. I'm wondering if sometimes mediums get the information right but the person wrong or if they get the vibes from people from other people (ie sensing my friend's problem through me).
Apologies for repeating myself but when 'medium' is mentioned, and the outcome is described as above, psychic reading is more likely to have been the case.

Emmalevine
16-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys.

The lady did profess to be a medium and spent most of the reading talking about various people in the spirit world, none of whom I had heard of. She must have mentioned about 100 names in an hour and a half. She also said some very offensive stuff about my ex, none of which was true but she clearly decided was the case from her assumptions of me and my background. She said that my nan was telling her things about my ex and dad, all of which I know to be false and was confirmed so by my mum in the case of my dad. The medium herself was a strong character and clearly not very skilled in being delicate.

The comment about the hysterectomy seemed like a fluke that's why it shocked me. It could be like you say Mac that she had a flash of psychic ability (i'm sure she is trying to develop both psychic and mediumship powers but hasn't fully got the latter yet!).

Moon Willow - I have seen another medium a few months ago who fortunately was very good so I don't feel the need to seek another out quickly. I was just so perplexed by this comment by the medium yesterday who otherwise gave me nothing.

mac
16-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys.

The lady did profess to be a medium and spent most of the reading talking about various people in the spirit world, none of whom I had heard of. She must have mentioned about 100 names in an hour and a half. She also said some very offensive stuff about my ex, none of which was true but she clearly decided was the case from her assumptions of me and my background. She said that my nan was telling her things about my ex and dad, all of which I know to be false and was confirmed so by my mum in the case of my dad. The medium herself was a strong character and clearly not very skilled in being delicate.

The comment about the hysterectomy seemed like a fluke that's why it shocked me. It could be like you say Mac that she had a flash of psychic ability (i'm sure she is trying to develop both psychic and mediumship powers but hasn't fully got the latter yet!).

Moon Willow - I have seen another medium a few months ago who fortunately was very good so I don't feel the need to seek another out quickly. I was just so perplexed by this comment by the medium yesterday who otherwise gave me nothing.
It makes me so annoyed when I hear of how some of these people mislead and confuse their sitters.

Perhaps they don't do it maliciously, perhaps they just don't have any understanding of what they are doing - or perhaps they do it just to cynically make money. :icon_frown:

It happened to me years ago, under different circumstances and not for payment, but the practitioner was 'training' others to be mediums and I had thought she was my friend.

I was suckered in that and other ways and that was down to my own gullibility, misplaced trust and inexperience in equal measures.

Now I try to use my experience to help others. I guess even the blackest of clouds may have a faint, silver lining....:smile:

deepsea
16-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I would say it was more pyschic reading than medium.
Also it is surprising how we can pick up from the mind,was your friend discussing her operation as you were on your way to see the medium?
Deepsea

Emmalevine
16-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Mac - yes lots of con artists out there.

Deepsea - no not on the way there but yesterday morning was the first time I'd seen my friend since she had the op a few weeks ago so we were talking about it prior to leaving.

mac
16-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Mac - yes lots of con artists out there.

Deepsea - no not on the way there but yesterday morning was the first time I'd seen my friend since she had the op a few weeks ago so we were talking about it prior to leaving.
In my 'early days' I heard and read about all manner of details which were claimed as mediumship but as I grew older and began to understand and analyse better, I began to see how so many of the details could have come not from spirit communicators but from the sitters' minds.

The downside of my experiences is that I am far more suspicious about reported details, many of which could simply have been 'lifted' from the sitter - so often a real likelihood. :icon_frown:

earthprowler
16-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys.

This just frosts my mug when people do this to other people. why waste an hour and a half reaching and then telling the sitter they are wrong when they say no about the information received? sounds like she just got lucky on one thing. people like this give the ones that are actually good at what they do a bad name. ugggghhhhhh. :icon_frown:

deepsea
16-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Agree with you there,Mac.

This is why I prefer details of a nature that I would not know myself.
As long as there is some other person or relative who knew the deceased.
That sounds complicated but it is a second 'check' to see if the medium is correct.

It is a little harder for me to do that now as for instance,say,I had received a message from an aunt or uncle,with information given to me that I could not prove.
Once I could check with another near relative but now all close relatives are deceased so where do I go to prove the evidence?
Deepsea

Emmalevine
17-11-2010, 05:27 AM
In my 'early days' I heard and read about all manner of details which were claimed as mediumship but as I grew older and began to understand and analyse better, I began to see how so many of the details could have come not from spirit communicators but from the sitters' minds.

The downside of my experiences is that I am far more suspicious about reported details, many of which could simply have been 'lifted' from the sitter - so often a real likelihood. :icon_frown:
Just wondering - is it ever possible for a medium to mistake their own thoughts/assumptions for real spirit messages? Just thinking a medium might not realise their own unconscious beliefs about a person were playing a part, if this was the case. Just a thought. Not sure how it works and how messages come through but I would imagine it takes a lot of training to be able to empty the mind of its assumptions.

Silver
17-11-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm sorry, but my kneejerk reaction is that it was a lucky guess and that if she could have deceived you from the start, it wouldn't be hard. She commented on your friend being your mom, hoping to get some reaction but instead she could have just been letting you think all along she believed it tobe your mom, and idk the age of your friend, but women of all ages have hysterectomies, so the odds are stacked in her favor to guess right on that point. Find a GOOD medium or psychic. Good luck!

Emmalevine
17-11-2010, 08:13 AM
It wouldn't have been unreasonable for the medium to believe my friend was my mum as I look very young for my age and my friend is much older, so I do think she genuinely thought she was. She didn't say it in such a way that she appeared to be caging for information although I accept she might have been. I agree that she might have just made a lucky guess though. I have seen a good medium luckily - otherwise I might've given up hope!

mac
17-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Agree with you there,Mac.

This is why I prefer details of a nature that I would not know myself.
As long as there is some other person or relative who knew the deceased.
That sounds complicated but it is a second 'check' to see if the medium is correct.

It is a little harder for me to do that now as for instance,say,I had received a message from an aunt or uncle,with information given to me that I could not prove.
Once I could check with another near relative but now all close relatives are deceased so where do I go to prove the evidence?
Deepsea
I expect I see matters differently to many.

Early on I felt almost evangelical zeal in wanting to let others know the revelations I experienced when I learned about survival et al. I found that not only did others not share my interest, many seemed highly dubious and others were downright hostile. What had been a revelation for me did nothing positive for them.

Slowly my outlook changed as my understanding grew. Eventually I grew to appreciate the importance of the teaching that we are ready for these ideas only when it is our time. I slowly learned to accept it.

I also felt that beyond a certain point there was no sound reason for folks - me included - to want more evidence or messages from loved ones in spirit.

My view is that transdimensional, evidential communication isn't supposed to be a feature of everyday life unless it's being used to help others to understand.

I expect that I won't be popular for saying that. :icon_frown:

deepsea
17-11-2010, 10:25 AM
No problem in speaking your mind,Mac.
I often do but end up in deep doody!
:redface:

I understand what you are saying. I found from the first simple messages I received,that I was wanting more and more.
That's when I made my mind up to do a little investigating into spirit myself.
Then from what I discovered,I wanted to know what life was like in the spirit.
And so on and so on.............. but as we learn more and more,thinking we have the full quota,up pops something new and we start all over again.

Do you think there is a secrecy law up there?
'Don't tell 'em,or they'll all want to visit!'
:disgust:

Edited by SF Staff

John32241
17-11-2010, 10:45 AM

I understand what you are saying. I found from the first simple messages I received,that I was wanting more and more.
And so on and so on.............. but as we learn more and more,thinking we have the full quota,up pops something new and we start all over again.

Do you think there is a secrecy law up there?
'Don't tell 'em,or they'll all want to visit!'
:disgust:

The goal of all spiritual teachers through out the ages was to encourage us to apply what we know from deep within the self to our daily lives.

Talking with those who are no longer with us supports the idea that solutions are up there. They are not and that is why this sort of exercise can become quite counter productive.

John

mac
17-11-2010, 11:12 AM
The goal of all spiritual teachers through out the ages was to encourage us to apply what we know from deep within the self to our daily lives.

Talking with those who are no longer with us supports the idea that solutions are up there. They are not and that is why this sort of exercise can become quite counter productive.

John
The term 'spiritual teachers' also highlights a problem. To understand 'spiritual' one also needs to understand 'spirit'.

Over this past several years I've been bashing on as I do and what's emerged is significant differences of understanding of terms. What one means by 'spiritual' may be very different from what another does....

As a Modern Spiritualist my understanding of the word 'spiritual' has much (not all!) to do with the non-physical side of life. In those non-physical dimensions live individuals who - sometimes - communicate through mediums with those they love on the earth plane.

But to begin to access the philosophy and religion of Spiritualism many individuals do best with a basic understanding of survival. That often comes after bereavement followed by a visit to an evidential medium - whether or not this is a Spiritualist one hardly matters although some may argue differently.

As to whether, (quote) "Talking with those who are no longer with us supports the idea that solutions are up there." is debatable. It's quite possible that solutions to some problems are most definitely out there (I don't use "up" :wink:) because bereavement can be a crippling event. Just learning about survival, and maybe finding a little personal evidence, can be the most wonderful, liberating and uplifting event. It can give immense strength to carry on, secure in the knowledge of personal survival and what that means.

But beyond that point I agree wholeheartedly when you say "They (solutions to everyday problems) are not and that is why this sort of exercise (seeking continuing contact) can become quite counter productive."

Skye
17-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys.

Professing to be a medium does not necessarily mean they are a medium as you have since learned. Some people claim to be a medium if they have communicated with spirit once or twice or have attended a mediumship workshop for a few days.

All spirit communications are experiments because there is no guarantee a person in spirit will communicate with a medium. This rarely happens, but we should be aware that it can. As this medium failed to link to any one person in spirit for evidence of survival, whom you could accept or acknowledge for yourself or, any one else who you happen to come into contact with then it should be assumed she was attempting to read on a psychic level, apparently only receiving correct information from you, in regard to your friend's recent hysterectomy.

SoaringSpirit
17-11-2010, 05:17 PM
It certainly sounds like she's not a good medium or a medium at all. did your friend get out the car, cause if so and she's recovering from a hysterectomy, the 'medium' might have seen the way she held herself or moved and realized that it was from abdominal surgery - with a woman thats likely to be hysterectomy (specially if she's older). The 'medium' might even have had a hysterectomy herself and therefore recognised the way your friend moved.

mac
17-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Do you think there is a secrecy law up there?'Don't tell 'em,or they'll all want to visit!' :disgust:

Edited by SF Staff
"Do you think there is a secrecy law up there?
'Don't tell 'em,or they'll all want to visit!'" :disgust:
Doubt it, J - they know we'll soon be heading their way, anyway! :D

It's understandable when someone has had a first 'taste' that they'd like a little more but as with yourself, I quickly found that simple messages were only a starter - the rest of the meal's ingredients were out there just waiting for me to put my own together, often by myself but sometimes with the help of better cooks.

deepsea
17-11-2010, 05:54 PM

John

Thanks John,
So we do need that help to bring out what is within us.
Sometimes I suppose,we get answers we do not expect.
Deepsea

deepsea
17-11-2010, 06:03 PM
You are so right,Mac.
I have been offered a chance to attend a workshop. Still turning it over in my mind.
Might as well wait though as you said,we might have to reverse the training to pass the proof to this end here.:wink:

J

mac
18-11-2010, 02:15 PM
You are so right,Mac.
I have been offered a chance to attend a workshop. Still turning it over in my mind.
Might as well wait though as you said,we might have to reverse the training to pass the proof to this end here.:wink:

J

:wink::smile::D