PDA

View Full Version : Tantra yoga

Lawrence
17-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Has anybody tried tantra yoga? I have read about tantric sex through which enlightenment can be achieved. Anybody having real experience of it?

Vinayaka
17-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Has anybody tried tantra yoga? I have read about tantric sex through which enlightenment can be achieved. Anybody having real experience of it?

In any traditional Hindu school, this is a myth. Tantra means 'method' and refers to any yogic method of working towards a more profound awareness. But in the west especially, it has become almost exclusively associated with sexuality.

Lawrence
18-02-2014, 04:20 AM
Did not Indian mystics talk/engage in tantric sex?

kris
18-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Read viJNAna bhairava tantra.

pgrundy
18-02-2014, 06:27 PM
In any traditional Hindu school, this is a myth. Tantra means 'method' and refers to any yogic method of working towards a more profound awareness. But in the west especially, it has become almost exclusively associated with sexuality.

Thank you. Things get distorted in translation and this is one of the worst, I think.

Also, isn't tantra (as method) associated in a general sense with meditation on imagery as a way of transcending dualities? A kind of magical practice perhaps, in a way, but not like pulling a bunny out of a hat, and not necessarily like the popular Western idea of tantra as having hours-long nonorgasmic sex?

I hope that question made any sense at all.

pgrundy
18-02-2014, 06:30 PM
For example, some Vajrayana Buddhist practices might be called tantric, I think.