PDA

View Full Version : Evolutionary purpose of dimples!

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 02:22 AM
I've wondered what the purpose, evolutionarily-speaking, of dimples was, so I just looked it up.

This makes sense: The theory is that those with dimples (cheeks) make a greater impression of happiness when they smile. Smiles are part of a basic repertoire of 6 or so expressions that humans have, so those who can really convince people they are happy when they are--survive better!

And, although I couldn't find this, I'm guessing that dimples in the chin have the appearance of making one seem vulnerable or even sad, and that too might cause them to survive better (in certain circumstances; I'm guessing women like it more than men??)

Just a little factoid--or theoretical guess--of interest.

Any comments?

loopylucid
10-02-2014, 11:44 AM
:hug2: Just one, Did you know there are now surgery procedures to create dimples??
They remove a circular piece of tissue from you cheek, then sow it together, once it heals, Tadaaa! Dimples!

Loopy:tongue:

IsleWalker
10-02-2014, 06:49 PM
:hug2: Just one, Did you know there are now surgery procedures to create dimples??
They remove a circular piece of tissue from you cheek, then sow it together, once it heals, Tadaaa! Dimples!

Loopy:tongue:

Yes--it's crazy what people will do to their bodies.

Liberace forced his young live-in lover to make him look more like Liberace--extended his chin, his nose and made a dimple in the chin. And the kid was much better looking than Liberace eventually!

Go figur. :confused:

Lora

Belle
26-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I have dimples. I hadn't thought of it as having a spiritual purpose!

IsleWalker
26-02-2014, 07:29 PM
And an evolutionary one: People just trust your smile more than us non-dimpled ones! Hence, what might have been a DNA/RNA "mistake" turned out to have some very good results!

My son has one dimple only. Wonder what that means, evolutionarily??

Lora

Faith33
26-02-2014, 07:34 PM
I have dimples...:redface:

Seriously, I know a woman who has dimpled cheeks and looks absolutely beautiful when she smiles, (faux smile) but is one bitter lady... not happy aaat all!

IsleWalker
26-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it doesn't say the smiles ARE more genuine, just that we have a visceral reaction to SEE them as more real!

And, let's face it, those people with gorgeous dimples know when to engage them for maximum effect! One critic was talking about how Brad Pitt didn't have to act---"he can always just grin at the camera until his dimples have turned the female half of his audience into mush. Handy trick, that."

So: Not all dimpled smiles are genuine!

Lora

Faith33
26-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Lol...Brad Pitt, George Clooney...gorgeous...doesn't he have a dimpled chin?

Hehe, to busy day dreaming to notice the chin..;))

Belle
26-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, it doesn't say the smiles ARE more genuine, just that we have a visceral reaction to SEE them as more real!

And, let's face it, those people with gorgeous dimples know when to engage them for maximum effect! One critic was talking about how Brad Pitt didn't have to act---"he can always just grin at the camera until his dimples have turned the female half of his audience into mush. Handy trick, that."

So: Not all dimpled smiles are genuine!

Lora

That's dimplist!!!

Faith33
26-02-2014, 07:51 PM
That's dimplist!!!

Lol.....she means it in the nicest way:))

Faith33
26-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Is that a dimple I see??? :wink:

Genuine or not...that's a killer smile ( imo always)

Belle
26-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Lol.....she means it in the nicest way:))

Sure - and I did smile a dimply smile, however you can say that not all smiles are genuine - the dimple is irrelevant.

linen53
21-05-2014, 02:08 PM
Medically speaking, dimples are merely a flaw in the tissue. Your facial muscles are shorter than needed to create a flawless skin surface.

IsleWalker
21-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Medically speaking, dimples are merely a flaw in the tissue. Your facial muscles are shorter than needed to create a flawless skin surface.

Yes, but evolutionarily-speaking, there had to be a good reason why that trait continued. If it were a random defect, it would be corrected in subsequent generations. If it were a defect that made someone "less attractive" as a mate, it would eventually discontinue.

The hypothesis is that it makes people slightly more attractive, more likely to get mates, succeed.

I'm not all about evolution, but this one seemed to make sense to me. People with dimples are seen as more attractive generally.

Lora

linen53
21-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Sure in Western civilizations dimples are more attractive, however, in developing countries dimples could be a sign of demons or bad karma or something :D :D

Just funnin' with ya.

IsleWalker
22-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Sure in Western civilizations dimples are more attractive, however, in developing countries dimples could be a sign of demons or bad karma or something :D :D

Just funnin' with ya.

Oh, I see your dimples dimpling!:D

's prolly a sign of defective logic! :tongue: Just funnin' ya.

L

Electric_Dreams
22-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Funny Ive come across this thread as I was recently talking about this with my partner as he has a dimple chin n so do all 4 of my children, and Ive noticed this in couuntless celoebrities...Im sure it means something, just not sure what yet⭐❤⭐

IsleWalker
22-05-2014, 08:51 PM
That's dimplist!!!

Yes, it is. What r ya gonna do? Smile??:D

Lora

BlueSky
27-05-2014, 01:05 AM
I have a huge one in my chin. I can't hardly shave in it. I tell people this is why you don't make love when your wife is pregnant. Lol

IsleWalker
27-05-2014, 01:10 AM
I have a huge one in my chin. I can't hardly shave in it. I tell people this is why you don't make love when your wife is pregnant. Lol

Well...if that's your style, Cap. I always thought it makes those BIG dents in the head! :D

L

BlueSky
27-05-2014, 01:30 AM
Well...if that's your style, Cap. I always thought it makes those BIG dents in the head! :D

L
Lol........I can just picture the baby in the womb dealing with this lol