PDA

View Full Version : Are imaginary friends really common?

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 01:17 AM
I keep hearing it said that kids having imaginary friends is a normal part of childhood.

I know this is not the right place to ask this--because many here did have friends who weren't "imaginary" (but a some spirit or something else).

But is it really a part of every kids' life? I remember imagining things, perhaps a short stint imagining tea with someone, but I didn't have a consistent "imaginary friend".

Are there any grade school teachers out there? What do you think?

Just curious as it's something that is often said.

Lora

Lovely
09-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Yeah I rarely see it, but I'm not with hoards of young kids on a regular basis. My sister had one she called Joey.
Shes the only person I know who has told me they had one though. And I had LOTS but like you, mostly for fun
make up games since i had no kids my age as friends.

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Yeah I rarely see it, but I'm not with hoards of young kids on a regular basis. My sister had one she called Joey.
Shes the only person I know who has told me they had one though. And I had LOTS but like you, mostly for fun
make up games since i had no kids my age as friends.

Lovely,

Did your sister talk to this imaginary friend all the time? Did she ever describe Joey?

Lora

Clover
09-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Interesting. I pretend played a lot when I was a young kid. I imagined I was a soap opera star,and Brenda from 90210,LOL. I remember pretending to be barbie and making up characters to go with it. I did this with or without friend's,lol. I read my daughter's preschool handbooks given to me from the school,and they said pretend play is very normal for young children.

I myself have never personally never known a child to be been consistent with a special "freind" that only they can hear,like a spirit.

Sassy
09-02-2014, 03:09 AM
The problem with this is that sometimes it can be hard to tell what is an imaginary friend and what could be a guide. It also doesn't help when creative play like this is encouraged at school.

I think that a lot of the time with imaginary friends, you can expect the name to change or for the friend to suddenly gain a friend of its own - whereas a friend that is a guide would be more consistent. Personally speaking, I spent a lot of time as a child communicating with spirits and my guide. It's also worth noting that a lot of children are more sensitive to spirits than the average adult... which can also cast further doubt on what is an imaginary friend and what isn't.

Albalida
09-02-2014, 03:13 AM
I didn't have any imaginary friends. I did think up a lot of stories, though. And I had a load of imaginary monsters.

Now I call my spirit guides imaginary friends.

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
The problem with this is that sometimes it can be hard to tell what is an imaginary friend and what could be a guide. It also doesn't help when creative play like this is encouraged at school.

I think that a lot of the time with imaginary friends, you can expect the name to change or for the friend to suddenly gain a friend of its own - whereas a friend that is a guide would be more consistent. Personally speaking, I spent a lot of time as a child communicating with spirits and my guide. It's also worth noting that a lot of children are more sensitive to spirits than the average adult... which can also cast further doubt on what is an imaginary friend and what isn't.

Yes, Sassy, given that children are more in touch, it would be reasonable that they do communicate with spirit.

And, yes, imaginative play is encouraged. I guess my problem is that this is repeated often, like an urban legend, even by psychologists and psychiatrists.

But to me, kids are either (a) pretending and they know it to be pretending or (b) communicating with "real people" and know that too. So to me, this doesn't really happen to everyone and in both cases kids are rational and aware.

I just wonder if this meme got created in order for adults to deal with spirits their child sees and they don't, not wanting to feel their child is "abnormal".

And for the many children who are told they don't see what they do, they begin to doubt their own senses.

So to me it's just an odd thing. Every time some mother of a child with abilities says, "I just thought it was an imaginary friend" I say, "Uh-oh". Maybe we should all drop this idea and just pay attention when kids do begin to communicate with someone we don't see. It would move us along faster and would spare lots of kids doubting their own sanity!

Lora

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Interesting. I pretend played a lot when I was a young kid. I imagined I was a soap opera star,and Brenda from 90210,LOL. I remember pretending to be barbie and making up characters to go with it. I did this with or without friend's,lol. I read my daughter's preschool handbooks given to me from the school,and they said pretend play is very normal for young children.

I myself have never personally never known a child to be been consistent with a special "freind" that only they can hear,like a spirit.

Yes, maybe I should have worded this differently: Has anyone ever known a child that talked to an "imaginary friend" who didn't turn out to be spiritually gifted/see dead people!

Lora

LadyTerra
09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I keep hearing it said that kids having imaginary friends is a normal part of childhood.

I know this is not the right place to ask this--because many here did have friends who weren't "imaginary" (but a some spirit or something else).

But is it really a part of every kids' life? I remember imagining things, perhaps a short stint imagining tea with someone, but I didn't have a consistent "imaginary friend".

Lora

IMHO--Children just naturally see the Others--so I believe they are actually communicating with Spirits.

IsleWalker
09-02-2014, 03:29 PM
IMHO--Children just naturally see the Others--so I believe they are actually communicating with Spirits.

Yes, some, LadyTerra. I don't think all do, however. The rest just play imaginary games.

youngers1810
10-02-2014, 01:53 AM
I think we should have some teaching of this at school or church as it wont be so frightening when we do see and sense it in life i had an inmaginary friend i even said it was a ghost to my folks when i was younger the trouble is we shut off whats different and dont embrace it with the spirit world.

IsleWalker
10-02-2014, 02:12 AM
I think we should have some teaching of this at school or church as it wont be so frightening when we do see and sense it in life i had an inmaginary friend i even said it was a ghost to my folks when i was younger the trouble is we shut off whats different and dont embrace it with the spirit world.

I agree, Youngers. The problem is most schools and churches aren't open to this either. In fact, they often put out the most fear, rejection, and shutting off vibes for kids, so that they can't really "logically" figure out what they are experiencing.

I guess my real reason for this post is that I feel children are not irrational beings who are meant to be either ignored or downplayed as "imaginary".

And of course it's horrible to know you are seeing things that other people don't and either not be able to figure it out or be shamed when you do say it.

I think people on this forum would be more open than most to listening to children--they deserve our respect and their own dignity. Children do know the difference between imagination play and sensing of other beings.

Seems like on this site there are people who haven't "seen" as children and are working as adults to be open to it or those who did see as children and then were beaten down for it. It also takes them a long time to find their own truth.

It's a long road, no matter how it comes to you. If everyone changed, of course it would help. [There are still some on this site who continue to "educate us" that we don't see/feel/experience what we do.]

At least you got here, Youngers. That's a great accomplishment, no matter when it happens.

Lora

TLE2014
03-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Yes, maybe I should have worded this differently: Has anyone ever known a child that talked to an "imaginary friend" who didn't turn out to be spiritually gifted/see dead people!

Lora

I see this is a old thread, but would like to respond anyway:smile:
My sister when she was 3 or maybe 4yrs old she had three "imaginary friends" - she had names for each of them. She does not remember
anything about them now or having them around. I remember she was always very happy when they were around.

SunshineShadow
03-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I had two imaginary friends both which I do not remember. My mom and stepmom told me I had them and their names were Cinderella and Penelope... cinderella could have easily been someone I made up cos I was into fairy tales. Penelope I'm not sure... when I got older I thought that name sounded very funny, and I mentioned that one day and that was when I was told I had once had an imaginary friend named that.

My younger brother had a friend called Jeff who he hung out with constantly. I am 3 1/2 years older than him, and we often played together and Jeff played with us (I guess). I couldn't see or sense anyone, but he often included him in our play, even though he wasn't all by himself and lonely (although, I only was there to play on the weekends... at the time, my brother was the only child of my father and stepmother, and our sister didn't arrive until my brother was 6 1/2 (I was 9) and I didn't move in until high school... and Jeff had been developed before my sister was born, but I don't know how long he was around)

IsleWalker
03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
I see this is a old thread, but would like to respond anyway:smile:
My sister when she was 3 or maybe 4yrs old she had three "imaginary friends" - she had names for each of them. She does not remember
anything about them now or having them around. I remember she was always very happy when they were around.

So, do you think these were "spirits" or were they truly imaginary friends?

Lora

IsleWalker
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
I had two imaginary friends both which I do not remember. My mom and stepmom told me I had them and their names were Cinderella and Penelope... cinderella could have easily been someone I made up cos I was into fairy tales. Penelope I'm not sure... when I got older I thought that name sounded very funny, and I mentioned that one day and that was when I was told I had once had an imaginary friend named that.

My younger brother had a friend called Jeff who he hung out with constantly. I am 3 1/2 years older than him, and we often played together and Jeff played with us (I guess). I couldn't see or sense anyone, but he often included him in our play, even though he wasn't all by himself and lonely (although, I only was there to play on the weekends... at the time, my brother was the only child of my father and stepmother, and our sister didn't arrive until my brother was 6 1/2 (I was 9) and I didn't move in until high school... and Jeff had been developed before my sister was born, but I don't know how long he was around)

Penelope also sounds like fairy tale names, but I can't think of one offhand.

So, I'll ask again: Do you feel your Penelope or your brother's friend Jeff were spirit or truly imaginary.

[I always wonder more when kids "make up" a relatively normal first name. ]

Lora

lemex
03-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Lora

Like you I have not had an imagery friend during childhood. Speaking from first-hand experience.

IsleWalker
03-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Like you I have not had an imagery friend during childhood. Speaking from first-hand experience.

Yes, to me, it's like this built-in superstition that helps to explain things parents don't want to face. I tend to think that there is imagination and there are kids who "see ghosts" all the time--but nothing else.

It's just strange in a culture that prides itself on not being superstitious or believing anything that can't be proven.

Lora

lemex
03-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Yes, to me, it's like this built-in superstition that helps to explain things parents don't want to face. I tend to think that there is imagination and there are kids who "see ghosts" all the time--but nothing else.

It's just strange in a culture that prides itself on not being superstitious or believing anything that can't be proven.

Lora

Ouchie. I happen to believe other things exist such as ghost from an experience when I was young. Though I must say my experiences were not extended and occurred only twice in the same location. So I don't know but agree it doesn't happen all the time. To me it would be in the details and knowing. My experience was one that allowed the senses of sight, touch, and time which I don't think I could manufacture myself, plus it happened in the presence of someone else to. All's I can say is I never had an experience of an imaginary friend. I think the world is set up on sensory input which made it real. I don't think I will ever forget some things. :smile: That was also an experience to as both are experiences. Just thinking, when you mentioned this I was taken back and I relived and re-experienced it as something that happened.

SunshineShadow
03-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Penelope also sounds like fairy tale names, but I can't think of one offhand.

So, I'll ask again: Do you feel your Penelope or your brother's friend Jeff were spirit or truly imaginary.

[I always wonder more when kids "make up" a relatively normal first name. ]

Lora

I really do wonder about Jeff, but I had no connection to him so I don't know, and as far as Penelope, I don't remember her! lol, I was only told by my parents that I had "made her up" when I was little. And to this day I wonder if she really was someone I imagined or someone that came to visit me. I wish I could remember an interaction with her!

elisi
03-07-2014, 06:14 PM
when we are young, we do not have blinders on. we believe anything is possible. we are very open. but as we grow older, many tell us, 'oh, you didn't see that'. or they are patronized.

we all had invisable 'friends' in my family. when my granddaughter was 4, she was playing and talking to someone on the floor and my son walked by and she yelled at him not to step on her friend. she even described him.

one day she also complained of her leg hurting. i had had her all day and knew she didn't hurt herself so i asked her when she hurt it. she said 'when she had another mommy. when she was a little boy'.

kids remember. maybe some kids do have friends who are not really there........but i'll bet most do.

IsleWalker
03-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Ouchie. I happen to believe other things exist such as ghost from an experience when I was young. Though I must say my experiences were not extended and occurred only twice in the same location. So I don't know but agree it doesn't happen all the time. To me it would be in the details and knowing. My experience was one that allowed the senses of sight, touch, and time which I don't think I could manufacture myself, plus it happened in the presence of someone else to. All's I can say is I never had an experience of an imaginary friend. I think the world is set up on sensory input which made it real. I don't think I will ever forget some things. :smile: That was also an experience to as both are experiences. Just thinking, when you mentioned this I was taken back and I relived and re-experienced it as something that happened.

Lemex--

I'm not sure we disagree. I was saying that imagination exists, and kids DO see ghosts--but probably less of the "imaginary friend" than is talked about.

I agree that you didn't manufacture it. I just think it's odd in a society that prides itself on being "logical" that this one meme slips through---"All kids have imaginary friends."

Not ALL kids do have imaginary friends and SOME kids see spirits/ghosts/entities.

So, are we saying different things?

Lora

lemex
03-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Lemex--

I'm not sure we disagree. I was saying that imagination exists, and kids DO see ghosts--but probably less of the "imaginary friend" than is talked about.

I agree that you didn't manufacture it. I just think it's odd in a society that prides itself on being "logical" that this one meme slips through---"All kids have imaginary friends."

Not ALL kids do have imaginary friends and SOME kids see spirits/ghosts/entities.

So, are we saying different things?

Lora

No, then we aren't. Just wasn't sure so wanted to share the experience since I wasn't sure. Thanks :smile:

AraceliCianna
03-07-2014, 06:42 PM
I've never had an imaginary friend and actually I've always felt abnormal because of it.

My two theories as to why children have imaginary friends is either they are getting used to being separate and interacting through the split off part of themselves as projections.. or they are talking to guides/angels/spirits/entities.

vespa68
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
I had an imaginary friend when I was little and it was a boy. Looking back I am wondering if it was my twin soul and if other children have sometimes the same.

IsleWalker
03-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I had an imaginary friend when I was little and it was a boy. Looking back I am wondering if it was my twin soul and if other children have sometimes the same.

Or if it was a spirit you saw at that age--and others didn't?

L

Ivy
03-07-2014, 09:52 PM
I spoke to what I called 'god' when I was a child (continued in adulthood). But that was very different to an imaginary friend. I spoke to god about problems and things I was grateful for, and asked for guidance. I didn't have tea parties with god. I had soft toys for that.

But thinking of the fact that I had a menagerie of stuffed furry animals as my imaginary friends - I wonder, if I had grown up in a place without those soft representations of friends, if my imagination would have created friends anyway. It maybe that the abundance of material toys people have in the west nowadays (and even 40 something years ago), mean that the imaginary friend is now embodied for children, and appears differently that the 'drop dead fred' kind.

silent whisper
03-07-2014, 11:25 PM

Lora

We imagine much as children then some of us lose it..many dreamers, artists, creatives utilize an altered reality to keep sane in what is often perceived as a very weird, wired world, it doesn't fit us.. I base this on discussions with other creatives as well as my own world as a child.

The spirit world provides us suppotive reflections when we are open and let our imagination lead us there. Support in this way is often hidden to those closed off from that view, but very apparent to those open and connected.

Natural as a sneeze really. For me at least.

But then I am naturally curious and love exploring worlds beyond the mainstream...I like being open to it all :)

Tobi
03-07-2014, 11:35 PM
I've never had an imaginary friend and actually I've always felt abnormal because of it.

My two theories as to why children have imaginary friends is either they are getting used to being separate and interacting through the split off part of themselves as projections.. or they are talking to guides/angels/spirits/entities.

That's an interesting theory. Both aspects have validity.

I never had an imaginary (human) friend. But I had an imaginary dog! When I was age 5-6. Hilarious! We held up buses....caused disruption in shops (when I refused to go in because my dog was tied up outside)....and I was seen dragging an empty leash and collar about on many an occasion, and talking to thin air! :D
I really don't know to this day if that was an actual spirit-dog or not. I can't remember clearly enough unfortunately.

AraceliCianna
03-07-2014, 11:44 PM
That's an interesting theory. Both aspects have validity.

I never had an imaginary (human) friend. But I had an imaginary dog! When I was age 5-6. Hilarious! We held up buses....caused disruption in shops (when I refused to go in because my dog was tied up outside)....and I was seen dragging an empty leash and collar about on many an occasion, and talking to thin air! :D
I really don't know to this day if that was an actual spirit-dog or not. I can't remember clearly enough unfortunately.

Haha that's funny! :D

Ahh the things we do as kids :D

Nameless
04-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Hmmm....both my kids had imaginary friends. I remember reading something about how parents were not supposed to tell them they were imaginary, they were supposed to go along with it, so when my kids had imaginary friends, we (the parents) pretended they were real. I remember my daughter knowing that I was pretending but she kindly went along with our charade...and when they had monsters, I took a broom in their room and broomed them out of the house. I really got into it!

Turns out both my kids are psychic and remember their imaginary friends as being their guides, although now they are adults, their guides are not the same ones they had when they were little.

Maybe, if I hadn't gone along with it all, they wouldn't be psychic if I'd told them they weren't real?

On the other hand, I told them ghosts weren't real, and neither one ever believed me because they could both see them, but they made a point of not telling me about it until I was old enough to handle it :) Sigh. So much for the monster spray ...

Tobi
04-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Haha Nameless! The whole 'monster spray' thing made me laugh!

So it seems children observe things outside the adult human spectrum of the perceivable. And when we consider that it's not so long since they were in the spirit world, things probably filter through to them, even through the amnesia coming to Earth usually implies. These imaginary friends could be Souls they left behind there when they volunteered to come here....Souls with whom they have a strong bond! Or they could be Souls they have an agreement to meet up with later on in life here...who may not have incarnated yet...

IsleWalker
04-07-2014, 01:00 AM
Hmmm....both my kids had imaginary friends. I remember reading something about how parents were not supposed to tell them they were imaginary, they were supposed to go along with it, so when my kids had imaginary friends, we (the parents) pretended they were real. I remember my daughter knowing that I was pretending but she kindly went along with our charade...and when they had monsters, I took a broom in their room and broomed them out of the house. I really got into it!

Turns out both my kids are psychic and remember their imaginary friends as being their guides, although now they are adults, their guides are not the same ones they had when they were little.

Maybe, if I hadn't gone along with it all, they wouldn't be psychic if I'd told them they weren't real?

On the other hand, I told them ghosts weren't real, and neither one ever believed me because they could both see them, but they made a point of not telling me about it until I was old enough to handle it :) Sigh. So much for the monster spray ...

That is funny Nameless.

But it also implies that, even when we believe and want to believe our children, they can tell when we really don't see, and they either make a decision that (1) what they see is real but you don't see it or (2) since you don't see it, it isn't real or (3) adults should not be told what they see.

IDK if I'm biased still, but it seems to me there are still just two different phenomena going on here:

(1) Children seeing actual spirits/entities/guides.
(2) Children creating personalities in their imagination--like for Teddy bears or dolls, which they might converse with or be comforted by. But they are aware they are using their imaginations.

It's difficult to say what the split is between these two. I guess I tend to think real entities are more frequent.

But part of the process is that we totally "forget" who/what these entities were.

For me it's like when I have an experience that is so out of my understanding that it just "disappears" from my memory. It was there, but no longer is.

Am I over-simplifying?

Lora

Nameless
04-07-2014, 01:24 AM
I don't think you are over simplifying. I think you are understanding a basic tenant. As I get older, I am more open and aware than I ever was before and that leads me to seeing things I never saw before in new ways. And then I forget and have to be reminded that I saw them, or see them again and then I go, "Ooohhhh I remember now."

I don't think we "see" things until we are ready to see them. And we can't unsee them anymore, but we can forget we saw them until the next time.

I don't know if all little babies and children see imaginary people, but if you have ever hung around a baby, a lot of times they stare at the wall and jump up and down like there is something entertaining them behind your shoulder. So maybe it is as simple as we turn it off when we are little and just don't remember, and some don't turn it off - maybe they can't find the off switch!

But we can turn it back on....if we want :)

silent whisper
04-07-2014, 01:31 AM
That is funny Nameless.

But it also implies that, even when we believe and want to believe our children, they can tell when we really don't see, and they either make a decision that (1) what they see is real but you don't see it or (2) since you don't see it, it isn't real or (3) adults should not be told what they see.

IDK if I'm biased still, but it seems to me there are still just two different phenomena going on here:

(1) Children seeing actual spirits/entities/guides.
(2) Children creating personalities in their imagination--like for Teddy bears or dolls, which they might converse with or be comforted by. But they are aware they are using their imaginations.

It's difficult to say what the split is between these two. I guess I tend to think real entities are more frequent.

But part of the process is that we totally "forget" who/what these entities were.

For me it's like when I have an experience that is so out of my understanding that it just "disappears" from my memory. It was there, but no longer is.

Am I over-simplifying?

Lora

The only separation is what you perceive. In the whole for a fully open child, Everything is real, until it changes form or is no longer real. To be adult and curious is to welcome it as real and bring back those lost/suppressed aspects of self that created it to begin with...

We are our inner child..we just forget we are....separation creates many losses for self.

IsleWalker
04-07-2014, 01:38 AM
I don't think we "see" things until we are ready to see them. And we can't unsee them anymore, but we can forget we saw them until the next time.

Yes, it even took me a long time to remember that I had seen. I was doing a meditation to meet my guides. I saw this indigenous guy--very vivid, very lucid. I was convinced I had seen it on TV or somewhere else. I even drove 45 minutes to our airport because I thought it was in a display of "Inhabitants of the island". But it wasn't.

Only several weeks/months later did I "remember" a time about 7 years earlier when my daughter (about 7 herself) when she and my S.O. were messing around with a Ouija board [yeah, I know. It was actually called an Angel Board. I thought maybe the intention would make the difference!:confused:]

They "made contact" with this guy named Malupe who said he had been there 90 years. Only after many years did I remember getting this vivid, lucid image of this guy. I was doing the dishes or something and just let it wash by me. But it wasn't lost.

And even then my S.O. told me that he had "made up" the name. That may have been, but the experience was "for me" I feel. The image was someone communicating with me (my Master Guide).

So even though my hubby feels he "made it up"--it wasn't made up for me.

But all told, this covered about 14 years. Like you said, we only "see" when we are ready. I'm not sure that has changed now either. I still know when I have blank spots where I did have some memory, but now it's gone. It's a weird feeling to me--like I can remember being wiped clean of the memory.

Lora

IsleWalker
04-07-2014, 01:58 AM
The only separation is what you perceive. In the whole for a fully open child, Everything is real, until it changes form or is no longer real. To be adult and curious is to welcome it as real and bring back those lost/suppressed aspects of self that created it to begin with...

We are our inner child..we just forget we are....separation creates many losses for self.

I'm sorry, Silent, but I don't understand. This is too esoteric for me to "get". You're gonna have to be more concrete for me to get it. What is your point?

Lora