PDA

View Full Version : my thoughts/views/opinions on exercise

michael55
15-11-2010, 11:59 PM
exercise moderatly at least 3-5 times per week..

go to a gym to do basic strength/toning

+ do other stuff...

snowboard

yoga..

biking

running

whatever.

just get a bunch of exercise.. but not too much.. but not too little.

Zero
16-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Well that is nice and vague. :D

Spiritlite
17-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I hear what you're saying, do a variety of things.
Spiritlite.

Gracey
17-11-2010, 02:22 AM
yeah, keep the variety going, if you run, switch up to dancing or something in about six weeks, your body gets use to the routine and becomes less effective. when you switch it up, it keeps your body in better shape.

Swami Chihuahuananda
30-01-2011, 11:00 PM
strength training has become essential to me , and now my wife, since we made one room into a gym . we're both over 50, and the need to stay strong and functional is important to quality of life. I also need to keep my body parts strong and functioning so I can continue to do my work . I need to lift and carry metal things , and do repetitious work while sitting that could be a real problem if I don't keep fit. I just love feeling strong too, but there's no need to get really big, and that's too hard, anyway :D . I'm not done with handyman work around the house , and will need to be trimming trees and doing repairs and **** when I'm 80 . speaking of which...

D

avenger
06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm a huge advocate of bodyweight exercises. Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges, planks, bridges, leg raises, handstands and dips. I don't think you need a gym at all.

Maybe for the house you can buy a pull up bar and a dumbbell set or resistance bands. But that's really all you need unless you're pursuing an athletic career.

Cal
10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
exercise moderatly at least 3-5 times per week..

go to a gym to do basic strength/toning

+ do other stuff...

snowboard

yoga..

biking

running

whatever.

just get a bunch of exercise.. but not too much.. but not too little.

I hear you Michael. Exercise has always been a very important part of my life. Unfortunately, diet/nutrition has not been a strong focus until recently and perhaps the two should have gone hand in hand from an earlier age.

Cal

WmBuzz71
11-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm a huge advocate of bodyweight exercises. Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges, planks, bridges, leg raises, handstands and dips. I don't think you need a gym at all.

Maybe for the house you can buy a pull up bar and a dumbbell set or resistance bands. But that's really all you need unless you're pursuing an athletic career.

Totally agree! It's about the inner strength and no better way to achieve that is to balance your body, by mastering it.

OpenMindedFellow
11-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Personally I'm just so in touch with mind over body that any kind of exercise needs to be a reaction to a stimulus, like dancing to music, trying to impress a girl or running away from danger. I love watching sport but playing it... I just think it's a drag. I guess I'm just not really competitive. Same goes for yoga too unfortunately... find it really boring.

WmBuzz71
12-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Personally I'm just so in touch with mind over body that any kind of exercise needs to be a reaction to a stimulus, like dancing to music, trying to impress a girl or running away from danger. I love watching sport but playing it... I just think it's a drag. I guess I'm just not really competitive. Same goes for yoga too unfortunately... find it really boring.

Liven it up a bit! See sometimes I like to mix things up like yoga, tai chi, maybe some ballet, and regular dancing, stretching, while of course listening to my happy tunes. I love motion flow of putting everything together at once, while dancing. Having fun is the ultimate :) cheers

Spiritlite
12-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Swimming and yoga is all I do cardiovascular and muscle strengthening for both as well as meditative as for yoga flexibility to and very strengthening and no more back pain since yoga yay

Distortedsoundz
21-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I do a lot of running,weight training and MMA training and that keeps me in good shape. I wonder why so many people believe that you can be healthy without being active? For centuries mankind has been active and now suddenly it has come almost to a screeching halt. We are the only inhabitants on this planet that have extra fat and body weight for nothing. (Aside from housepets that are fed a poor diet.) Fat animals in the wild need the extra padding for survival purposes. Humans have it to just sit there. Not good!

Finnster
21-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Not too open minded about yoga! :D

I was fairly closed about Yoga too until I tried it during my P90X days (I only lasted a month). Yoga ROCKS! It helps with focusing the mind and body into one unit. Breath with the motion... AANNDD you sweat like crazy.

That being said, I have to agree that exercise and keeping the body in good physical condition helps with the spiritual aspect as well. WmBuzz71 said it in his post .. inner and outer balance.

Right now I am in a program called Insanity: Asylum and I am in the second round of it. It's one of the toughest, most rewarding programs I have ever done. I have to keep pushing play every day so I can A) Keep up with my kids B) Tone my body and spirit together C) stay fit for longer backpacking trips and D) Just live a healthier life. I am prone to fits of lackadaisical attitude and can easily fall into the rut of being a sofa urchin. Watch too much TV (even though I don't have cable) eat too much junk food and essentially waste my shell away.

I am not letting that happen to me again... ever... Exercise is key to that mentality.

Golden Angel
27-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I got a bit bored going to the gym, so i took up belly dancing and zumba, which i really enjoyed and loved it. :D

Love Golden Angel :wink:

Skins_Princess
10-10-2011, 09:42 PM
I hear what you're saying, do a variety of things.
Spiritlite.

I think that's what I'm going to aspire too now. I tried some yoga yesterday for the first time in a while and I couldn't myself totally into it.

Godwin
29-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Physical activity prevent you from diseases, help in weight losand weight managment and better sleep. Exercise make you happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out. Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression and high blood pressure. Exercise help in burn calories. The more intense the workout, the more calories you burn, and make easier to keep your weight under control.

freeflyj
20-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Michael its impossible to rate your workout without your goals in relation to you current weight and level of fitness.