PDA

View Full Version : Please say a prayer for this K9 Soldier

Tobi
06-02-2014, 11:06 PM
A military dog named "Colonel" is captured by the Taliban in Afghanistan:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/02/06/taliban-captures-us-military-dog-report-says/

Apparently he belongs to British military forces, not ISAF.

Please let's say a prayer for him, or send him our love. No doubt he will be killed.

Tobi
07-02-2014, 11:37 PM
No news yet about this dog.
I contacted an International Animal Welfare organisation tonight for advice about any legislation or any ideas that might get him out of there (if he's still alive.)

muileag
07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Please keep us updated. Picturing him without fear and feeling love.

Jenny Crow
08-02-2014, 04:36 AM
If there's anything, anything I can do to help please let me know.

primrose
08-02-2014, 08:10 AM
My best wishes are for him :hug3:

Tobi
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM
So far I have contacted everybody I can think of, including the Telegraph journalist who (may have received direct communication himself from a Taliban representative) saying that if he is contacted again, to ask them if they would consider releasing him (to me) and offering to pay all costs.
If the Taliban find they have no use for him. For him to be a successful working dog with them, he would have to be trained in their language. I can't see that working out.
I am hoping my communication with that journalist gets through.

So far I have heard nothing from anyone -and I have got in touch with all sorts of people, all over the place, the last 2 days.

Tiss
09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
The NATO military dog captured by the Taliban in a fierce firefight won’t eat the gruel that local Afghan mutts wolf down.

So his captors have had to cook up a human diet of chicken and beef kebabs for the reddish-brown Belgian Malinois, the terror group said Friday.

And unlike local dogs who will sleep anywhere, the Taliban had to find blankets for their prized catch. The pooch has been named DaGarwal — meaning “colonel” in the Pashto language — and his new owners are thinking about turning him against his former masters.

“It’s always possible that we could use the dog, since it has been trained,” said Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid.

Or they might work out an exchange of POWs. “If someone offers a trade for it then we can think about that,” Mujahid said.

Poor sweet guy. Seems he is being well cared, so far. :hug:

Jenny Crow
09-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Well, I'm glad they're feeding him. He must be very confused, though, poor little guy.

norseman
10-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Hope there is a successful outcome on this.

BUT, I am very ambivalent about "military dogs". What right do we have to involve other species in our lethal, petty squabbles ? Sniffer dogs in particular - to the dog, it's just a game trying to please their pack-leader but it often leads to tragic consequences.

Tiss
10-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Dear norseman, I agree...

Jenny Crow
10-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Yes, I totally agree, too.

Tobi
10-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Poor sweet guy. Seems he is being well cared, so far. :hug:

Yes it does seem that way, from what they have said. I really hope it is true. It may be, as he is a valuable hostage.

There's something slightly humorous about Colonel refusing to eat Afghani dogs' gruel, and forcing them to cook chicken and beef kebabs for him! I have to laugh a little at that.

Tobi
17-02-2014, 08:50 PM
A Petition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rescue-colonel-the-dog

Subject: Rescue Colonel the Dog

To:
The RT. Hon. Mr Philip Hammond, Secretary of State for Defence (UK)

Dear Mr Hammond,
The military working dog, named 'Colonel' is a soldier. As a soldier, and prisoner of war, an attempt has to be made to rescue him. "No soldier left behind."
We, the undersigned, ask that you will persuade relevant departments of the Ministry of Defence, to mount an operation -whether covert or overt -to get this loyal soldier back into his home territory.

Yours sincerely,
(those who sign)

Please Twitter this...Facebook it....email it....get lots of shares. You never know, it might be listened to. Please keep those signatures coming!
NO SOLDIER LEFT BEHIND

muileag
17-02-2014, 09:00 PM
I signed...and it's on my facebook feed.

Tobi
17-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Brilliant muileag! Thanks.
A lot of petitions went out about a week ago, but some of them were addressed to people like Mr Obama, who are not directly linked to the situation. It is thought 'Colonel' was with British forces, some think he was part of an SAS mission.

primrose
17-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I signed it too.

Raven Poet
28-02-2014, 02:29 AM
A Petition:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rescue-colonel-the-dog

Subject: Rescue Colonel the Dog

To:
The RT. Hon. Mr Philip Hammond, Secretary of State for Defence (UK)

Dear Mr Hammond,
The military working dog, named 'Colonel' is a soldier. As a soldier, and prisoner of war, an attempt has to be made to rescue him. "No soldier left behind."
We, the undersigned, ask that you will persuade relevant departments of the Ministry of Defence, to mount an operation -whether covert or overt -to get this loyal soldier back into his home territory.

Yours sincerely,
(those who sign)

Please Twitter this...Facebook it....email it....get lots of shares. You never know, it might be listened to. Please keep those signatures coming!
NO SOLDIER LEFT BEHIND
Love it, Tobi! I signed too (I think - not very tek savvy and didn't see my name, but I'll check it again.) Thank you for doing this!

Raven Poet
28-02-2014, 02:31 AM
I signed...and it's on my facebook feed.
Muileag, please pardon the question and know I do not mean to take the focus away from this important action.

When you put something on your "facebook feed" does that mean your "friends" see it on your page and can sign, too? Is it fairly easy to do? Thanks from an older woman not quite in the swing of social media activism!:wink:

Tobi
28-02-2014, 03:10 AM
I am so glad Colonel hasn't been forgotten, even though the media hype has died away right now. Hopefully there is a covert mission by special forces to get him back.....

We wouldn't know a thing until it was over.