PDA

View Full Version : Tarot 101

norseman
15-11-2010, 06:55 PM
This thread is here to help beginners to the Tarot understand the basics of a Tarot deck and give guidance in carrying out a reading. There is a wealth of experience in SF to give help in the Tarot and allow the beginner to make a start at gaining experience by doing. I imagine that readers at all levels have questions also that they would like some help with too. So, a Self-Help thread.
So, folks, we have comfortable virtual seats and excellent virtual coffee and cookies, so lets begin. OK, we are open for business :D

Kaere
15-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Lovely!!

I have a question about spreads actually. I wonder if people have their favourite spreads that work for them and do they stick to them religiously, do you find it hard to switch from one spread to another, do you use several together?

I find that I get stuck on the three card spread almost all the time. Celtic Cross just about does my head in with all the possibilities and maybe this's that come up.

norseman
16-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Like you, Kaere, I find the Celtic Cross too complicated. I prefer simple, just like me, so I stick to three cards. I see that some people use three cards as Past, Present, Future but I just look to link the three cards in a continuous narrative.

My question concerns Reversals. I just ignore them. Anyone else got a feeling about that ?

Lostgirl
16-11-2010, 12:00 PM
If its a reading for someone else i generally do a three card spread past, present and future, unless its a specific question or situation then i do a question and answer spread. One card represents the situation and the other 2 cards represent 2 diffrent paths they could take.

For my self i do either the three card or a daily spead which is 4/5 cards.

tsb
16-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Like you, Kaere, I find the Celtic Cross too complicated. I prefer simple, just like me, so I stick to three cards. I see that some people use three cards as Past, Present, Future but I just look to link the three cards in a continuous narrative.

My question concerns Reversals. I just ignore them. Anyone else got a feeling about that ?

I'm a beginner, but have learnt basic readings. What I learnt about reversals are to go back to the preciding cards, e.g. if it's a reversed 8 of cups, I'll go back to 7 of cups. The card that precedes the Fool is the World, and the cards that precedes Aces are the tens of the respective suits. As there is no obvious preceding card for the Page cards, we can pick a card from the Minor Arcana to help us identify the aspect of life the reversed Page is referring to.Once we have considered what the reversed card is telling us, we can turn the card upright, because that is the energy we need to attract and apply, like overcoming barriers.

Thus in my opinion, if the deck is arranged with no reversals, we may not know whether the cards in the spread is reversed, as message will be different. Just my personal opinion.

LightBearer
16-11-2010, 04:20 PM

i have found reversals to be very usefull, given one instance, if you ignore a reversal, you may read a strong male figure in dominance, but if you include the reversal it would read a strong male figure in the background supporting. just one example of how i have read it in the past.

Kaere
16-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Interesting stuff. I don't read reversals - I use the other cards surrounding to give an idea of reversal. Ace of Cups with 5 of Pentacles would tell me that the sitter should avoid being too insular and focusing on the lack or they'll miss seeing a potential romance. Whereas the Ace on it's own would tell me that it's right there in front of them and they're aware.

At least, that's how I'd read it.

sunny shine
17-11-2010, 03:51 PM
thank you noresman for considering beginners like me. I too find the three card spread easy as of now, because for you guys if its complicated, it would be like moving mountains for me be :-D

i think i can create stories with my imagination when i pick up cards, but how do i know what i am imagining would be true for who i am reading?

norseman
18-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Imagination plus Intuition SS. Two guide lines to follow
1. Does it make sense ? 2. Does it FEEL right ?

But dont forget to "read" the card. What is happening in the card ? What happens next ? How did the card come to be where it is ? A sort-of past, present, future of the card. If the card could actually speak, what would it say to you ?

Some people say that the best way to come to know a card is to sleep with it under your pillow and it will "talk" to you while you are asleep. :hug2:

Spiritlite
18-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I love this even though I'm such a novice at tarot I just can't get it into my thick brain on how to use them even though I've had tarot decks for all of 20 years......this is great because it's in plain simple language...thankyou Norseman.
Spiritlite.

tsb
20-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Imagination plus Intuition SS. Two guide lines to follow
1. Does it make sense ? 2. Does it FEEL right ?

But dont forget to "read" the card. What is happening in the card ? What happens next ? How did the card come to be where it is ? A sort-of past, present, future of the card. If the card could actually speak, what would it say to you ?

Some people say that the best way to come to know a card is to sleep with it under your pillow and it will "talk" to you while you are asleep. :hug2:

great tips! Read in a book that initiating the cards are very important. How do you initiate your cards?

norseman
20-11-2010, 02:06 PM
I have a silk scarf that was blessed by the Dalai Lama. My cards are wrapped in that scarf in a box with a small Buddha for luck. Howzzat for a pagan :D

LightFilledHeart
20-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I have a silk scarf that was blessed by the Dalai Lama. My cards are wrapped in that scarf in a box with a small Buddha for luck. Howzzat for a pagan :D

I am SOOOOOOOOO jealous!!! I love His Holiness. A more enlightened soul or sweeter spirit does not exist!

norseman
27-11-2010, 06:40 PM
This is an interesting site. It gives the history of the Tarot and also looks at old Tarot packs. Worth a look, anyway.

www.tarothermit.com

Kaere
27-11-2010, 06:54 PM
great tips! Read in a book that initiating the cards are very important. How do you initiate your cards?

For me, I shuffle the deck and then put them back in order while I'm thinking about the person I'm going to read for or a different question. I have to do it for each person but I don't always put it back in order if I'm going to read for the same person. I keep them in a silk bag in a box on my night-table. The shuffle and ordering is enough for me.

eraser
29-11-2010, 06:47 PM
This is an interesting site. It gives the history of the Tarot and also looks at old Tarot packs. Worth a look, anyway.

www.tarothermit.com (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.tarot hermit.com)

Would you mind double-checking that link, Norseman? It didn't work for me.

norseman
29-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Hmm. It does seem to be off. However, here is one that does work
www.trionfi.com :smile:

eraser
29-11-2010, 07:02 PM
It does, indeed. Thanks. :)

tsb
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
For me, I shuffle the deck and then put them back in order while I'm thinking about the person I'm going to read for or a different question. I have to do it for each person but I don't always put it back in order if I'm going to read for the same person. I keep them in a silk bag in a box on my night-table. The shuffle and ordering is enough for me.

that's interesting. I noticed tarot readers also use crystals, clear quarts on the deck itself :)

ShamanWoman
09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
I never had to initiate my cards. From the second I saw the deck I knew it was mine and we belonged to each other. As for spreads, as I shuffle I get a number in my mind (and occasionally a specific way a card should be placed) and just pull that number of cards.

Uhmar
21-01-2011, 01:37 PM
This is part of an article I had saved about doing tarot with playing cards.
it is really good for quarant card choosing if you can figure out how to convert it to tarot decks as well.
--------------------
Choosing the Significator;

DIAMONDS:

BIRTH SIGN; Taurus/Virgo/Capricorn

PERSONALITY; Imaginative/Outgoing/Materialistic.

COLOURINGS; Red or Fair Hair
Green Eyes
Freckles/Fair Complextion;
===========================
SPADES;

BIRTH SIGN; Gemini/Libra/Aquarius;

PERSONALITY; Introverted/Intelligent/Objective.

COLOURINGS; Dark Brown or Black Hair;
Brown eyes;
Dark Complexion;

==============================
HEARTS;

BIRTH SIGN; Cancer/Scorpio/Pisces;

PERSONALITY; Creative/Outgoing/Affectinate;

COLOURING; White or Blond Hair;
Blue or Green Eyes;
fair Complexion;
==============================

CLUBS;

BIRTH SIGN; Aries/Leo/Sagittarius;

PERSONALITY; Patient/Loyal/Introverted;

Colouring; Brown Hair/brown or Hazel Eyes;
Ruddy Complexion;

norseman
21-01-2011, 04:56 PM
There was a website, which unfortunately has gone down now, that had instructions for the card game that used the tarot - very old game. The site was called tarothermit.com There is another site which I haven't fully explored yet so it may be in there
http://www.trionfi.com (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.trionfi.com)

Uhmar
21-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I have all the playing card meanings if that is what you are talking about....

actually I have about four versions I think...

this post was about how to decide what card to use for the quarant .....

.only reference I have seen for that has been in using playing cards is why I mentioned playing cards /tarot.

norseman
21-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Apparently this was a game played several centuries ago before the tarot was used for divination.

LadyTerra
22-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I just joined-in and have a response concerning Spreads.

I use the Celtic Cross for an over-view of any given situation--sort of away to see where a certain path might be leading should circumstances remain the same.

The Solar Cross is excellent for yes/no questions and to obtain the mindset, action, emotion, foundation, and spirit--of the situation.

I prefer the 7 Card spread for simple yes/no answers--because it gives me a view of what lead the Person to this point--the over-riding influence of the situation--and the future results--unless they decide to make some definite changes.

I am almost out of time--but will enjoy catching-up on this particular Thread next week!

Peace and Love on our path to Teaching and Learning.

Blessed be...

Uhmar
22-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I found this interesting to note of clients behavior..
-------------------------
Interpretations from Shuffling and Cutting the Cards

Who would have thought that a reading can begin from the cards even before that first card is laid out. Look carefully and note how the cards are shuffled and cut. Every person is different and has their own style, but this can even differ between readings. Many thanks to Andreia "Shana" Gaita for sharing insights on shuffling and cutting which appear below.

When a person shuffles only the bare minimum number of times, this of course shows how eager they are to get straight to the point.
When cards one or a few cards fall out during shuffling, take note of what they are because they are important to the reading.
When a lot of cards fall out, the querent is either not used shuffling the larger size tarot cards, or they are reluctant or ambivalent about the reading.
When a person cuts only the top few cards from the deck, or leaves a tiny little pile, then they are reluctant to do the reading. This shows they do not really want to reveal too much or find out the true answer.
When cards fall from the deck as a person cuts the cards, this also shows a certain ambivalence or reluctance about the reading.
Shy and impressionable people cut the deck with their face virtually inches from the cards. They also tend to take any interpretations extremely literally despite their avowed scepticism.
Troubled querents also cut the deck with their faces inches from the deck and may take some time to do it. I also find these people tend to cut the deck dead centre if they can manage it and are most concerned to be doing it "right". These people tend to demand exact predictions and interpretations but this is because they are so troubled by their question.
Complex people tend to cut into multiple piles. These people cannot decide if they want to take the cards seriously or not.
Querents who are confident of the answer they think they will receive cut with their arm fully extended, often with a smile on their face.
There are people who barely glance at the cards when cutting them and expect you to shuffle and replace the cards in one pile. These people do not expect anything from the cards and are majorly sceptical or simply do not really want a reading.
When querents sit right back in their chairs and cross their arms you know they are feeling defensive. When the cards get right to the heart of the issue, you notice them lean forward and the arms are uncrossed. This simple body language reveals so much, and can be useful when the querent is determined to say only the bare minimum.

The next time you do a reading for yourself, notice how you cut the cards. Often you can pick up from the cut if you are secretly reluctant to know the answer (usually because your intuition/subconscious already knows the answer won't be what you want to hear).

http://www.serenapowers.com/shuffling.html

Uhmar
25-01-2011, 08:25 PM
When you do tarot readings do you also or do any of you also look a the colors of the cards and the color connection to the card meanings? I notice I tend to do that when looking at the cards plus being very visual I notice the card colors more.

like the magician card is basically yellow and red

Yellow The sun, vitality, good energy, healing, enthusiasm, joy, intelligence, study, persuasion, charm, creativity, communication, *cooperation

Red Passion for life, fire, passion, lust, will-power, courage, energy, strength, anger, aggression, danger, power, desire, sexual love

describbes a lot of the card doesn't it ..
------------------------------------------
Also do you look a the number and numerology connection to the cards as well???
the magician si the number one card
one means....Individuation, Independence, Attainment

Traits: Unity, Beginning, Focused concentration, Goal-striving, Action, Independence, Originality, Courage, Invention, Leader, Self-reliant, Ambition, Pioneer , Will, Conscious Mind, Positive. Often referred to as the SEED.

The number 1 symbolizes the principle of BEGINNING or initiation. It signifies that a person must learn to stand alone, be assertive, and achieve recognition for his or her talents. Therefore, the 1 is ambitious, an achiever, and fares best when it is allowed to demonstrate its own ideas. It is self-sufficient, inventive, willful, and dominant. Its energy is masculine, focused, and rational.

Gifts: Self-sufficiency, invention, mastery

Challenges: Stubbornness, egotism, bluntness, overambitious, dominance, willfulness, impulsiveness

Personal Goal: Establishing individuality; making a name

Fears: Being overlooked; not using talents

Succeeds as: Writer, director, inventor, president, public figure, business owner, designer

Is any of this actually important in reading and making sense of the cards????

I dont tend to do the numbers things but is it actually important?
references:.http://www.nodntap.net/tarot/number_meanings.shtml

Yeiacatl
29-01-2011, 01:30 AM

That is so awesome! :D :D

arive nan
17-02-2011, 06:05 PM
On a whim, I did a search on public domain tarot. I found some sites where there are free texts and some downloadable pdfs of free books on tarot and related subjects. Some of them are ancient and confusing, but I think they can all be useful to some extent. There's even some simple decks you could print out to practice with if you don't have a deck yet.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/
http://tarotinstitute.com/index.html
http://freeware.esoterica.free.fr/html/freecards.html

Medium_Laura
17-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I read reversed as blocked or obstacles. Not yet ready to be flipped upright.

LadyTerra
23-02-2011, 05:42 PM
That is a good way to look at inverted Cards.

I see life as being filled w/ different aspects of Shadow and Light and inverted Cards--or even the Cards that most consider to negative--as representing the Shadow side (or adversity) of life.

It seems to be more politically correct these days to avoid unpleasantness. However--it has been my observation that we learn more from the hard times in life--which (IMO) serve as an opportunity and catalyst for growth and evolution.

Peace and Love on your path to sharing knowledge and wisdom...

Blessed be...

arive nan
24-02-2011, 01:56 AM
This is another site I came across with some good material for learning the tarot. She hasn't written anything new in a while, but what is there already looks like it would be useful for beginners. There are courses you can download as well as tips for reading professionally. There also seems to be a document about the Game of Tarrochi, although I haven't looked at that yet.

http://tarotmoonpress.wordpress.com/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Ftarotmoonpress.wordpre ss.com%2F)

norseman
24-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Had a quick look in, Arive, it opens up into other areas - all very interesting.

norseman
26-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Bump :D. For those just starting the "school" tomorrow [Sunday]

LadyVirgoxoxo
26-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Hello everyone! Yesterday I got a Gipsy Tarot deck. I basically have no idea how to use tarot cards so if anyone can help a beginner I would be much obliged. :smile:

norseman
26-03-2011, 04:31 PM
:smile:Lady, what I am planning to start tomorrow is interpretation that will rely heavily on intuition as much as the meanings of cards. All will be revealed tomorrow [ I hope :D ]
Could be worthwhile having a look in www.learntarot.com - its based on Rider-Waite but still useful for other decks. When I started the school 3 years back, I was a complete beginner - it's something you learn by doing I think.

green
26-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Hello everyone! Yesterday I got a Gipsy Tarot deck. I basically have no idea how to use tarot cards so if anyone can help a beginner I would be much obliged. :smile:

hi LadyV
if i may, i would like to ask you a question: why did you bought the cards?
answering this may just be a starting point for you and your understanding the cards...
look at them...
and normally cards come with a small white booklet, read it, this will give you a one or 2 clues about what you have in hands.

there are few options for you:
find a tarot teacher and a class.
buy a good introduction book for tarot cards- there are many just google it around.
or learn it yourself from looking at the cards and listen to your inner voice and intuition.

G

LadyVirgoxoxo
26-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Lady, what I am planning to start tomorrow is interpretation that will rely heavily on intuition as much as the meanings of cards. All will be revealed tomorrow [ I hope ]
Could be worthwhile having a look in http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/re...learntarot.com - its based on Rider-Waite but still useful for other decks. When I started the school 3 years back, I was a complete beginner - it's something you learn by doing I think.

I'm using that online course norseman! Hehe I like it and I did Lesson 1 today. I will do a lesson a day. I pulled out the moon card for the exercise and I interpreted the exact opposite of what it actually means...hmmm I wonder what that means! lol.

hi LadyV
if i may, i would like to ask you a question: why did you bought the cards?
answering this may just be a starting point for you and your understanding the cards...
look at them...
and normally cards come with a small white booklet, read it, this will give you a one or 2 clues about what you have in hands.

there are few options for you:
find a tarot teacher and a class.
buy a good introduction book for tarot cards- there are many just google it around.
or learn it yourself from looking at the cards and listen to your inner voice and intuition.

G

Well I decided to buy tarot cards because I was interested in them and I decided to buy the deck itself because I love gypsies<3
I'm currently taking French and that's another reason I wanted to get the cards because they are in French and so is the booklet itself! I'm hoping I can understand it all lol.

norseman
26-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Ahah ! The moon gave the exact opposite of what you expected ? Was it reversed on dealing ?

LadyVirgoxoxo
27-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Nope just normal way. I sensed calm in it, however I was right about you doing nothing about your problems. I in no way sensed fear though but maybe because I love the moon?

Ravens_Light
27-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Hello, Norseman & thank you for the virtual goodies.. Yum! :D

I love your thread!

I haven't read the entirety of it (yet!) but see that it starts with Kaere wondering what speads members are using..

I have also found the Celtic Cross very complicated... Simple is better for me... I have only 2 decks presently Sacred Circle Tarot & AA Oracle Cards..

I usually let my intution guide me each time I decide to do a reading (which has only been for myself) and I would say it's most often a Past/Present/Future spread + one Angel card to help tie it all together. I usually go with this spread when I haven't used my cards for a while, or there is a new question about my life or path that has arisen..

I find myself only pulling one Tarot Card and one Angel Card when I'm doing readings regularly. There is usually a lot to meditate on (for me) with only 2 cards, and also quite a bit of spiritual work for me to do that goes along with it - lol! The more cards I use, the more I tend to get confused... I like it nice and simple as I said..:D

Very glad to have this thread as I evenually hope to gravitate from doing my own readings to reading for others.. I'll definitely be reading more of the posts in my next bit of free time.. Thank you for posting this, Norseman!

Cam/EarthMamma

P.S. Just wanted to add -- and this may have already been addressed - but I find it essential to have a deck that really resonates with you... I was given a beautiful deck for my very 1st set of cards, but the messages very rarely made sense to me... I was also frequently confused... I found that the Pagan tarot interpretations resonated much more with me, so I ended up using the Sacred Circle Tarot. :)

norseman
28-03-2011, 07:16 AM
EarthMamma - have a look in Tarot School too and join in :D

Ravens_Light
28-03-2011, 05:35 PM
EarthMamma - have a look in Tarot School too and join in :D

Oo! Many thanks, Noseman.. I will! :hug2:

Ravens_Light
01-04-2011, 07:22 PM

I came back to take a more lengthy look at this thead and am starting at the beginning, so hope you don't mind my answering some of the questions that are at the start of it (?)

This is a great question, Norseman... Initially I had difficulty with reversals.. And that's even after reading the various ways one can interpret them (i.e. they can be interpreted with an 'extra emphasis' on that card, or with the traditional/published 'reverse' interpretation)...

I have found that neither really worked for me and that I had to allow my intuition guide me on that... I did a reading for myself just recently where the reversed interpretation was waaaay off and the upright one made all the sense in the world...

So, the way I'm handling it now is when I get a reversed card, I don't dismiss it but I read for both the reversed AND upright card to see which fits better, especially if the R card really feels 'off' to me..

To me that was a real lesson in really letting intuition be the primary guide.. Not the traditional interpretations.... They are to be use in adjunct.. At least I think so..:smile:

I'm interested to read what others have posted.... So a-reading I will go!

LadyVirgoxoxo
04-04-2011, 02:24 AM
So I'm soon going to do my first reading. I did an exercise where I had to come up with a question for the reading. This is what I got for my notes:
*Balance time
*School, work, spirituality, free time, time with family and friends

My question:
How might I learn to balance my life to include all the things I care about on a daily basis?

Is my question too detailed? If it is could someone help me cut it?

norseman
04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Cut it down to two words - "Life balance". I dont think you have to ask an actual question, just provide a focus for your intuition. Your subconscious already knows the answer to this, you just have to let it out. :smile:

green
04-04-2011, 10:42 AM
So I'm soon going to do my first reading. I did an exercise where I had to come up with a question for the reading. This is what I got for my notes:
*Balance time
*School, work, spirituality, free time, time with family and friends

My question:
How might I learn to balance my life to include all the things I care about on a daily basis?

Is my question too detailed? If it is could someone help me cut it?

hi lady

unlike norseman, i believe in questions, asking the right question very often gives you 50% of the answer.
i think you question is very good, detials are good as you have a clear idea what you are talking about.
and you ask a practical question of what can you do and how and you don't ask what will happen 12 points for you:smile:
mind you, sometimes the cards don't answer the question you ask them but the real issue that is in your heart!!

give it a try... see what you get... and share if you feel like it.

G

Ravens_Light
05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Cut it down to two words - "Life balance". I dont think you have to ask an actual question, just provide a focus for your intuition. Your subconscious already knows the answer to this, you just have to let it out. :smile:

Hello, Lady V! :hug2:

I tend to agree with Norseman here....

Even tho' you definitely want to be CLEAR on what you are asking, I find it helpful to focus on the heart of my question, which many times ends up being very simple - like above.

And sometimes - especially when it is difficult to articulate matters of the heart and form it into a question - keeping it simple allows my intuition to pick up the answers regardless.. In effect answering my question that was felt but not really voiced.

Green, also makes a great point that determining the question is bringing you half way there!

There is SO much to be gained in thinking... feeling out what it is that you actually wanting the answer to.... Some times in my case, I end up not doing a reading at all..:D

I think forming my questions was probably the thing I've had to work hardest at.. And it was very rewarding.

Blessings on your journey, Lady! ♥

Cam/EarthMamma

LadyVirgoxoxo
09-04-2011, 11:27 PM
I did my first reading and it took me two hours! My question was: How might I learn to make my life more balanced?
I used the Celtic Cross pattern. I was REALLY confused at first but things started making more sense as I thought about it. I kept forgetting things so I'm not sure if I was completely tuned in. My third card kind of confused me: Judgment. I'm still not quite sure about it.
The answer I got was: I need to be more resourceful. I need to stop working so hard on certain areas of my life.

norseman
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Concentrate on the word "Judgement" and your question. It could come down to looking at what things you think you need to do and separate the Vital Few from the Trivial Many - prioritise !
Perhaps you are over-thinking and under-reacting. It is so easy to start picking away at the cards and ignoring your first gut feelings - intuition is a powerful tool !
Hmm, think again about priorities. How many are yours and how many are other people's ? Next time someone tries to hand you their problems, just say [or think ] "I will help you with your problems but at no time will the problem become mine !" The monkey belongs on their back, not yours !

LadyVirgoxoxo
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmmm I think I might understand it now. Maybe things are as they are because I'm making hard choices in my life. People do tend to hand their problems over to me.

LadyVirgoxoxo
24-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Do you guys think that I'll eventually memorize what the cards mean? How long did it take for you guys to memorize them? I'm finding it quite difficult with the minor arcana cards because there aren't explicit pictures that state what the card means. For instance, if it's a two of cups there will be two cups. The Rider-Waite deck my online course uses seems to be easier for beginners. Should I buy that one and use it? And then wait until I'm more advanced to use my Gipsy deck?

arive nan
25-04-2011, 03:33 AM
It just takes time. And you can deviate from the cards traditional meaning if it looks like it means something else in the reading. Some decks will depict the card's meanings in a way that you can see more easily. I often go to this site to learn the cards better and decide which decks to collect:

http://www.masquedman.com/tarotbible/zc2.html

It has many different decks and you can see the same card in all of those decks next to each other. There's a description of the card's meaning in the upper left. On the Two of Cups page you can see that some decks will show two people forming a partnership. You see a lot of happy friends or lovers celebrating. So that can help to get a feel for seeing that meaning in your deck. I guess it's a band's web site lol. But the tarot section has been very useful for me.

green
25-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Do you guys think that I'll eventually memorize what the cards mean? How long did it take for you guys to memorize them? I'm finding it quite difficult with the minor arcana cards because there aren't explicit pictures that state what the card means. For instance, if it's a two of cups there will be two cups. The Rider-Waite deck my online course uses seems to be easier for beginners. Should I buy that one and use it? And then wait until I'm more advanced to use my Gipsy deck?

hi Lady:
eventually with time you will remember more. but i can say about myself, i'm with the tarot cards many many years and i still don't remember the meaning of the cards, when a do a spread i let the cards talk to me, i follow the symbols and the signs and it all form up to a story that is written infront of my eyes.
yes you can try to memories the cards some are very good in remembering the information and details but it is not a must.

thanks for the link Nan it seems like a very interesting site, and the options of many different decks.- thank you

G

soulwholeness
25-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Fantastic website Nan, it went straight onto my favorites. Thank you.

LadyVirgoxoxo
25-04-2011, 04:31 PM
If I have the money perhaps I will buy a new deck. Or maybe I'll try memorizing them. We'll see.

green
25-04-2011, 07:37 PM
lady, there are ways to work intuitively with cards, the basic of basics is to just spend time with the cards, look at them, pick a card each day and spend some time with it, looking at it, writing down what you see, what it makes you feel, think, what stories comes to mind, it takes time, you don't became a card reader over night.
open yourself to the cards and listen to what comes up.
and give yourself time.

it is not a matter of money or decks, sure you feel more connected to some decks and other decks you don't like, but i remember you wrote somewhere that you picked up this deck that you are using and that you really felt connected to it - if i remember correctly.

so just take your time, and spend much time as possible with your cards.

G

LadyVirgoxoxo
30-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Will do. I'll definitely have more time in the summer to really spend some time with my cards :smile:

rainbowcrow
01-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi LadyVirgo, I found that the best way for me to get to know my cards is to just do small spreads that are fun. For example, do some 3 card spreads for your self or family members and friends - they don't actually have to be there in person, just think of them and maybe ask yourself a question about them and see what the cards reveal. Instead of reaching for the first book of meanings just start writing down what you see and feel with the cards, make up a bit of a story - then you can check some of the meanings and symbolisms for more depth. Just remember that even if your feelings don't match the meanings that you read, it does not necessarily mean that you are wrong - the cards are tools for your intuition. Have some fun with the cards - do some small spreads for celebrities even - its amazing how quickly you will get to know your cards :) I'm just a beginner too and its so nice to get advice from others here, so I just thought I'd add my two cents worth :)

rc xo

LadyVirgoxoxo
02-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks rainbow :smile: That sounds like fun

norseman
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Bump ! Just to bring this thread up to the school. Would be nice if this was a Sticky :wink:

AmethystDawn
04-06-2011, 02:12 AM
It just takes time. And you can deviate from the cards traditional meaning if it looks like it means something else in the reading. Some decks will depict the card's meanings in a way that you can see more easily. I often go to this site to learn the cards better and decide which decks to collect:

http://www.masquedman.com/tarotbible/zc2.html (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masquedman.com%2Ft arotbible%2Fzc2.html)

It has many different decks and you can see the same card in all of those decks next to each other. There's a description of the card's meaning in the upper left. On the Two of Cups page you can see that some decks will show two people forming a partnership. You see a lot of happy friends or lovers celebrating. So that can help to get a feel for seeing that meaning in your deck. I guess it's a band's web site lol. But the tarot section has been very useful for me.

Thank you :smile: That's a great site for us beginners who don't know how all the different decks portray the visuals.
One slight moan/grouch, you didn't say how hard it is to drag yourself away from that site, plus I now have a 'wanted' list as long as my arm :D :D

LadyVirgoxoxo
30-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Does anyone own the book "Pocket Guide to the Tarot" by Alan Oken? It's a nice, helpful book but I'm wondering what exoteric and esoteric means? For each major arcana cards they have those meanings.

norseman
30-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Esoteric and Exoteric

http://www.kheper.net/topics/esotericism/esoteric_and_exoteric.htm

:smile:

LadyVirgoxoxo
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Thanks Norsie! That was of great help! :hug2:

Zuzim
11-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Okay to budge in here? I have some questions regarding tarot, I was thinking about starting a new thread but thought I'd try here first.

First of all, I would like to hear what initiations/preparatory ritual people are using before doing a reading. This is something I have been wondering about, because I feel like I do need it myself although I can't find anything that quite 'feels right' to me. I'm also concerned about being able to do it in front of others, which pretty much leaves out invocations and such. Usually I just hold the deck in both hands and concentrate on the issue, but I would like to do something more of a ritual. Any suggestions here?

Second, about shuffling: am I the only one who just can't escape the feeling when shuffling that 'it's all just chance' and whatever cards happens to be on top when I stop the shuffling are there just because I put them there? Now, experience tells me that it's not all 'just chance': I have been having some very successful readings far too accurate for that. Still I can't shake the feeling. I usually cut the deck one last time before starting a reading, and I always find myself thinking 'Whatever cards will end on top now will determine the entire reading'. This leads me to doubt and to become almost paralyzed at times, as I can't bring myself to complete the shuffling. Does anyone else experience this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

norseman
11-07-2011, 08:30 AM
OK, Zuzim. Shuffling : I use the Sacred Circle deck and the cards are over-sized, so not really possible to shuffle [for me anyway]. I cut them a few times, then lay out the entire deck on a table but face down. Then I either run my finger tips across the backs until a card "speaks" to me or I move my pendulum across them and allow it to choose the cards.

Ritual : this is something I have been using lately. I call it the Earth Element Spread. Basically, I have the four Kings which are the rulers of the Powers of the Element at the corners of a square. Discs [Earth] to the North, Swords [Air] to the East, Wands [Fire] to the South, and Cups [Water] to the West. The four Kings are bridged with the World Tree [21]. This is my representation of Mother Earth. Cards chosen are allowed to "rest" on the appropriate element to absorb energies. The major cards are open to interpretation as to where they belong, some which are "neutral", I place on the World Tree.
This is my ritual. [image below]

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/fd171cb9-1.jpg

green
11-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Okay to budge in here? I have some questions regarding tarot, I was thinking about starting a new thread but thought I'd try here first.

First of all, I would like to hear what initiations/preparatory ritual people are using before doing a reading. This is something I have been wondering about, because I feel like I do need it myself although I can't find anything that quite 'feels right' to me. I'm also concerned about being able to do it in front of others, which pretty much leaves out invocations and such. Usually I just hold the deck in both hands and concentrate on the issue, but I would like to do something more of a ritual. Any suggestions here?

Second, about shuffling: am I the only one who just can't escape the feeling when shuffling that 'it's all just chance' and whatever cards happens to be on top when I stop the shuffling are there just because I put them there? Now, experience tells me that it's not all 'just chance': I have been having some very successful readings far too accurate for that. Still I can't shake the feeling. I usually cut the deck one last time before starting a reading, and I always find myself thinking 'Whatever cards will end on top now will determine the entire reading'. This leads me to doubt and to become almost paralyzed at times, as I can't bring myself to complete the shuffling. Does anyone else experience this? Any ideas on what to do about it?

hi Zuzim. wellcome.

i was smiling while reading about your "it is just a chance thing" thoughts, i know what you mean, and i come to live with that, it is a chance and at the same time it isn't.:wink: and i think you know it too.
what to do? don't think too much!!! not when you are doing a reading.
afterwards, before, while just looking at the cards, learning, thinking... this is the time to confront yourself, your mind and your cards with such doubts and questions. when you read cards, read!
but you can try doing this: you think you got your cards by a chance, you don't like some of the cards? no problem, pull others instead. randomly pull from the deck other cards- yes chance again here, but look at what you will get as a new answer :) try it 10- 20 times you see what you get. i know what i got and get.

about rituals sorry can't really help you there as you ask for a ritual done infront of others. i do rituals only alone or with someone who is into rituals as well. infront of other people i try to keep it as simple and direct as possible.
why would you like to do a ritual infront of other people?

good luck
G

Zuzim
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks norseman, and thankyou green. 'Dont think too much' is just far too true I'm afraid. xP Like you say I should be thinking about these things otherwise, but NOT when doing a reading. I should just read - and still I can't help thinking about it. Oh well, I should just learn to do some Zen I guess :P

Pulling a second card feels like cheating somehow, I don't know about that. Seems to me that then I might just choose consciously the card I want, which pretty much makes the whole thing meaningless...

About rituals, what I mean is something simple, a way of consecrating the cards or connecting to a higher power beforehand, in order to "energize" the cards and ensure that they will work. After all, you can't just treat them like ordinary playing cards, right? But also, I mean such simple things as formally stating the question, declaring what spread you will be using, and also the way you approach shuffling itself. In my experience the whole preparation before doing a reading should be ritualized at least to some extent, and worked through in an orderly fashion. But I have not personally been able to find one such ritual that feels convincing yet easy enough to use in front of others, which is why I would like some other perspectives on the issue. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome. :smile:

green
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Zen is good, extra good!!!!

come on there is no cheating!!! you know what.. try that. ask your question and take out the cards you want.. try to mix the cards you wish for into a spread or with few random cards you pull, try it out... really, this is really exciting and fun and you might just learn few things there... i never really tried to do that, pulling the cards i wish for as the cards for the answer... but i sometimes when not liking a card i take it out and put the card i want. try it and if only for the feeling of it, but do it with all your heart! explore try this is the key words here.

WHY NOT? to treat them as playing cards??? after all this is what they are playing cards. i know i know!! but i'm not joking here either. they are cards, pictures on paper they are not God or Universe or anything holly. respect yes, but this is as far as it goes. the real connection is the one between you and the higher whatever . the cards are only your car to get there.
if you use your cards for wicca and witchcraft, or magic ritual or any kind of energetic work this is something else, but for reading.. within logic please - i know this is not a very common way thinking but i'm not the only one thinking this way. learnt that from a very great teacher and it really set me free, regarding the cards and other stuff as well. i suspect that the thing that maybe you are looking for is a deeper connection between you and whomever you trust that gives you the messages, i think you need to work on that thing- that connection, regardless the readings. once you feel strong about this connection, all you have to do is ask before the reading for help and guidance simple as that: please help me.. and you will feel the connection a once.

btw as for a ritual check norse ritual it is very interesting one.

hope it helps and sorry if it was too blunt - but i feel you can handle that else i wouldn't say any of it.

G

AmethystDawn
17-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Hope this isn't too silly a question....How do tarot readers clear the cards between a constant stream of sitters? I wondered about this when I went to a Mind Body Spirit event recently. I didn't want to hover about and watch, even from a distance, as there is little enough privacy at these events anyway.

Edit. If I have posted this in the wrong thread please feel free to move it.

green
17-07-2011, 12:31 PM
personally i don't unless there was some kind of bad energy.

but you can allways imagine white light/energy washing your cards as if rain drops. energy clean.

hope this help. but you can look around here and around the divination treads, i remember people talking about this topic, you might find some other good ideas there.

G

norseman
17-07-2011, 01:33 PM
AmethystDawn, do you believe in magic ? Do you have the strong will to make it happen ?

If you do, I have been experimenting with rituals and tarot together. Below is a representation of Mother Earth that I use to "charge up" my cards. Print it out and keep it with your cards AFTER you have transferred your Intent and Will to it. :smile:

It has the Lords of the Powers of the Elements plus the World Tree which connects all three realms. Would be interested in your reaction :smile:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/fd171cb9-1.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fi28 2.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fkk267%252Fnorsema n_photo%252Ffd171cb9-1.jpg)

LadyVirgoxoxo
17-07-2011, 04:22 PM
norseman, I tried using your spread to charge my cards :angel9: How is it magic? Oh and I'll let you know how it is when I use my cards. Should I charge them after every reading?

norseman
17-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Lady, magic is mainly the will and intent of the user, so if you put your heart and soul into it, it will absorb energy. I add an invocation to Mother Earth and ask her to guide me. I keep my cards with the picture inside the box when not in use. You must realise that this is 100% intuitive on my part. Someone else looked at it and said it looked like a Grounding and Protection device.

LadyVirgoxoxo
17-07-2011, 09:48 PM
If I left it under my two decks of cards is it ok?

norseman
18-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Lady, your Will and Intent makes it OK :hug2:

AmethystDawn
19-07-2011, 09:18 AM
AmethystDawn, do you believe in magic ? Do you have the strong will to make it happen ?

If you do, I have been experimenting with rituals and tarot together. Below is a representation of Mother Earth that I use to "charge up" my cards. Print it out and keep it with your cards AFTER you have transferred your Intent and Will to it. :smile:

It has the Lords of the Powers of the Elements plus the World Tree which connects all three realms. Would be interested in your reaction :smile:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fi282.photobucket.com %25252Falbums%25252Fkk267%25252Fnorseman_photo%252 52Ffd171cb9-1.jpg)
/fd171cb9-1.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fi282.photobucket.com %25252Falbums%25252Fkk267%25252Fnorseman_photo%252 52Ffd171cb9-1.jpg)

Thank you norseman, my answer is yes I do believe in magic.
Having looked at your representation, I understand more now.

I'm just moving from Rider Waite to Morgan Greer. I put the MG deck next to my pillow and so far have had some very vivid dreams. I seem to be getting more accurate readings from the MG deck or maybe I am getting a little better at interpretation.

I'll be giving the ritual a try tonight when I will have the chance to do so without interruption :wink:

Thanks norseman :smile:

norseman
19-07-2011, 10:09 AM
AD - slight improvement. I changed the World Tree to [3] The Lady/Goddess/Mother Earth. :smile: Full thing in Tarot School

LadyVirgoxoxo
20-07-2011, 03:57 AM
I just did a short reading after I energized the cards a couple days ago using your spread norseman. N othing was different except when I did a little meditation beforehand asking my Inner Guide to guide me through the tarot card reading, I saw the fae! Like not with my eyes open, but with my eyes closed!

AmethystDawn
20-07-2011, 07:13 AM
AD - slight improvement. I changed the World Tree to [3] The Lady/Goddess/Mother Earth. :smile: Full thing in Tarot School

OK norseman, I already charged the cards using the World Tree print out.

I left the cards out of the box and a while later someone in the house at the time saw the cards and asked if they could 'have a go with them' which I was unprepared for but nevertheless thought why not. The cards the 'sitter' drew were very accurate :smile:

AmethystDawn
20-07-2011, 07:22 AM
personally i don't unless there was some kind of bad energy.

but you can allways imagine white light/energy washing your cards as if rain drops. energy clean.

hope this help. but you can look around here and around the divination treads, i remember people talking about this topic, you might find some other good ideas there.

G

Thanks, Green, I like that idea :smile:

It was curiosity more than anything. As a beginner I come across lots of of dos and don'ts from various sources; for instance, tapping the deck 3 times to clear it/ keeping a separate deck for your own use/ using intuition over traditional card meanings etc which can all get a bit confusing when you're trying to find your way :confused:

norseman
25-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Bumpety, bump :D

arive nan
30-07-2011, 07:13 PM
http://taroteca.multiply.com/

Warning: may be habit forming

green
30-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Green, I like that idea :smile:

It was curiosity more than anything. As a beginner I come across lots of of dos and don'ts from various sources; for instance, tapping the deck 3 times to clear it/ keeping a separate deck for your own use/ using intuition over traditional card meanings etc which can all get a bit confusing when you're trying to find your way :confused:

hi AD
ask yourself what is right for you. allways when you hear a suggestion and especially if someone tells you something like: "you must do that or don't do that" ask yourself is this acceptable by myself? how do i feel about it? yes intuition is my key word, but one of my best student was a someone who memorized a tarot book by heart and the readings he gives are great. this is his way what is right for him. you start your way, don't form solid ideas, try things, explore, and take what feels right for you. i may advice not to mass around dark forces and stuff like that, but if you are into such stuff then go a head, but just to try this for fun, i would put a limit there :)
and the most important thing is NOT TO BE AFRAID !!! especially when someone is trying to intimidating you and using threats.

Good luck.
G

norseman
10-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Bump, zip ! Whoosh !

norseman
27-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Bumpity, bumpity

Sharnie
02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Hello I have been reading tarot for over 20 years. I learnt on the cross so for me thats my read; I cant ''do'' simple shorter reads.

Dont have a lot to add for newbies except this.... I feel two packs are good. one for you and only you to handle and one for others to handle. The one that is only yours is never to be touched by others and it is to be special. Your own special cards are to be used only either for yourself or for readings that are remotely given and over the years they become very powerful and very imbued with your own energy (hence not great to use for others.) My on special pack is 20 years old and very faded an dog eared and I would never dream of using them for anyone but me. loads of people say you should never read for yourself but its good practice (and fairly unpractical to say you wont do it.) just do it with a special deck thats all that others dont get and it will become very true and special for you; but never use it EVER for anyone else xxx

green
05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
hi Sharnie

thank you for your insights and sharing your knowledge with us all here, this is very kind of you. a
i just would like to add one thing: sometimes something that works for one person not necessarily works for someone else. i believe people should try and explore different ways and approaches to and with their cards, but at the end of the day everyone should do whatever feels right for them. some don't like to work with more then one deck, some don't mind others to touch their cards while there are tarot readers that can't stand anyone touching their cards. and because there are a lot of beginners in tarot that read this tread i think it is important to note that there are no rules but to do whatever feels right to you.
i hope you don't mine :hug:

else, i agree with you totally, one should try reading to oneself as it is a good practice -sometimes you get it and sometimes not, but for myself i find it an eye opener practice every time.
and like you i have different decks for different practices :)
but each one should follow his or her heart.

G

Neville
05-09-2011, 03:31 PM
The Tower Card often depicts an ancient and crumbling edifice.

Sounds a lot like me first thing in the morning. So it's not always a negative card. It is all to easy to summise that the world is falling apart around the querent when this card shows up, but it might also be seen as a clearing of the decks in many cases. when old and often decayed situations are swept away. The fact that the building is often depicted as ancient is an indicator that whatever the situation was it was most likely past its sell by date anyway and just needed a little push to collapse in on it self.

The Tower Card gets a lot of bad press, but really it's influence is that of , albeit a sudden. clearing out of the old and useless, leaving a blank canvas on which to start afresh..

I have no idea what inspired that , but some of you should know , just incase the Tower card fills you with dread and foreboding.

green
05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
hi neville,

i agree the tower card is not a bad card, but sometimes people do not wish to let go of some old things that is out of date, change can be a hard thing to accept, and so on, so emotionally it sometimes seen as bad - it can be painful and stressing, so the question is what is your attitude and how you accept change.

G

norseman
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
My cards [Sacred Circle ] are over-sized and, to me, impossible to shuffle. Anyone else come across this and how did you solve it ?

Something running around my skull is a tarot where the images are engraved/printed on plastic balls. You would then draw them out of a bag. I suppose they could be tablets like runes.

norseman
27-09-2011, 07:47 AM
oops-a-daisy !

norseman
16-10-2011, 07:57 AM
bump ! Back to the top

Colhad75
16-10-2011, 10:32 AM
So there is no limit to spread sizes?

Also I've been reading the cards as past, present and future. I know I was advised not to read them this way in my thread but to read them intuitively.

norseman
16-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Colhad, I have seen one [never tried it] that uses 17 called the Web spread and the Romany spread 21.

norseman
16-10-2011, 10:40 AM
So there is no limit to spread sizes?

Also I've been reading the cards as past, present and future. I know I was advised not to read them this way in my thread but to read them intuitively.

Read the cards the way that makes instinctive sense to you :smile:

Blooms Bright
16-10-2011, 12:22 PM
This is a fantastic thread! Just reading your posts has encouraged me to explore developing my own ritual when preparing for a reading. It also made me become conscious of how I shuffle and cut the deck. I have also started a tarot journal that I write in once a week, usually Sunday, unless I had a reading that I need to revisit. For myself I enjoy a 3 card spread, at times a 5 card spread. However when receiving a reading from others would prefer the Celtic cross, why do you suppose that is? Ill have to put some thought into that.

Just wanted to let you all know I appreciate your sharing. It has been very helpful

As always ~ Bright Blessings

Morgana Rose
24-10-2011, 12:10 PM
i have a question concerning how to draw your cards, do you pick them at random or do you make piles and pick at random or do you take from the top of either one pile or many piles??
please help :)

Medium_Laura
24-10-2011, 12:16 PM
It really depends Morgana.

For me I let my client shuffle and then when they feel ready I have them place the deck on the table.

Taking the less dominant hand (if your right handed, this would be your left) cut into 3 piles.

One pile represents past, one current and one future.

I tell them to choose 1 pile (that is the current). I set that aside by me. Then I have them pick one more. (that represents future) set that aside by me (keep track :) )

I tell them the remaining pile is their past. Since we can't go back and change the past - we set that away from the other 2. It isn't read.

I then read the current situations going on in their life. After, I tell them to ask questions about what they want to know about what's coming? Money, relationship, etc.

Hope that helps.

Finnster
24-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Morgana ... for me it depends on the deck I am using. If I am using Oracle Cards, I shuffle them by holding them in one hand and throwing them into the other so a few cards go at a time. One or two will make their presence known by falling out or not going into the others. Those are the cards for that reading.

If I am using my tarot, I lay them out and "feel" the cards for a simple three card spread but for a Celtic Cross, I cut the deck into three stacks and use the middle stack for the stack I pull from.

Basically, how you draw your cards is what appeals to you just like choosing the deck and how you read them.

Finnster
24-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Dad gummit ... Laura beat me to it!

Morgana Rose
24-10-2011, 10:03 PM
thanks laura and finnster, it does help a bit :)
i think i lack trust in my own abilities, so i get worried that i'm not doing things right and therefore not getting an accurate answer lol
thanks again :)

Morgana Rose
26-10-2011, 10:15 AM
another question...
what is peoples take on reversed cards? do they just ignore them or do they read them as the "reverse" meaning the card usually has??
and which is the better option to go with?

Finnster
26-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Again it comes down to your work and what is comfortable for you. I personally don't work with reversed cards and never really have. I find it can get confusing and down right negative in some cases. If there are signs pointing toward negative outcomes, there are cards already in the deck that have those overtones without being reversed. So, I keep my decks all facing the same way, clean 'em regularly and have great readings!

These are good questions Morgana. But as you said in your previous post, you have to trust yourself.

norseman
26-10-2011, 10:57 AM
another question...
what is peoples take on reversed cards? do they just ignore them or do they read them as the "reverse" meaning the card usually has??
and which is the better option to go with?

Read Page 1 :D:D

White Wolf Alue
27-10-2011, 06:05 AM
what is a reversed card? does it mean it is not right side up?
and if you get the lovers and the two of swords does it mean the relationship i am currently in is absolutely going to end and i can not do anything no matter what decision i make? i did the Celtic cross and on the side where things were happening in the present i had the lovers but on the side for the future i got the two swords...?

norseman
27-10-2011, 06:54 AM
Two of Swords is a card of balance. Neither sword has advantage.
The card upright indicates stalemate, an armed truce.
Reversed, it means you have been given bad advice from a misinformed source and you should consider that advice very carefully before accepting it.
Personally, I ignore reversals.

Morgana Rose
27-10-2011, 10:12 AM
thanks finnster and norseman :) i went back and looked at page 1 of the thread lol

LadyVirgoxoxo
30-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Would anyone care to elaborate a bit on if a relationship's future gets the world card?

green
30-10-2011, 07:05 PM
what is not clear? it is a real question and not something to upset you. try to write down what is not clear for you with understanding the world card as the future outcome of the relationship reading you did. as basically it is a good and positive outcome.

G

norseman
30-10-2011, 07:12 PM
In my tarot, the World card becomes the World Tree. Two levels of meaning. On a mundane level, it marks the completion of a task, completing something you have worked hard for. It is time to celebrate.
On a higher level, the card shows the interconnections of all things in harmony.This is an ideal which we can only achieve at certain special moments and sense its harmony and reconciliation of opposites - male and female for example. :D

So, a time to celebrate and achieving harmony as two become one.

LadyVirgoxoxo
31-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to see other people's take on it, as I wasn't sure if I was being too happy about the future of my relationship with this guy lol. So I guess this guy is definitely a good guy for me! Would you say he's my soulmate?

norseman
17-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Ding, dong ! Boost :D

nanilom
20-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Hello everyone !!
can anyone help me understand this spread??
is about my love live =)

1- Present= the fool (inverted)
2-influence=two of wands
3-past issues=six of swords
4-immediate pass= page of wands
5-crowning thoughts = four of swords
6-immediate future=seven of pentacles
7-your fears = knight of cups
8-environmental factors= the tower
9-your hopes= two of swords(inverted)
10-outcome=six of cups

thanks and much love to all of you !!

norseman
23-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Nanilom, you are asking in the wrong place. Not all readers follow this thread. Best also to introduce yourself in the Welcome thread :D
The place you want to be is in the Members Only Forums under Reading Requests but you need to read the rules there. Good luck ! :smile:

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25896 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fshowthread.php%253 Ft%253D25896)

nanilom
24-11-2011, 01:39 AM
thank you =)

norseman
08-12-2011, 08:36 AM
bump back to the top again :D

eyalec
08-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I see Tarot as a catalyst of self intuition. I use a fascinating deck I once found when I was in France, based on Astrology. I’m astonished every time from the results.
I use 5 cards:
1. The person
2. Present
3. Future
4. The aspects
5. The synthesis

norseman
08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
"I see Tarot as a catalyst of self intuition"
Many agree with you, Eyelec :smile:

Do you have the name of the tarot you were talking about ?

eyalec
08-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Do you have the name of the tarot you were talking about ?
“Oracle Le Manuscript”

In the analysis I use my own astrology knowledge rather than the deck’s mere instructions. Works perfectly.

Shalimar
11-12-2011, 04:35 PM
If I am not wrong I think I read a post from Norseman saying Tarot 101 is there for Tarot Questions. I didn't really :dontknow: know how to go about it as the only possibility once in the Thread is to "post a reply", so that is what I did, correct me if I'm wrong....

Here is my question:

My daughter got "The Knight of Swords (Reverse) and The Devil (Reverse)" in "The Wisdom of the day" reading (that is the way we call that spread. We don't ask questions when we do that)

Thanks to anyone putting his/hers insight on this reading. If some of you use "reverse" meaning for the Tarot please let us know how you would interpret these 2 cards reversed as that is the way they came up.

I read that some readers who use the "Reverse" give just an opposite meaning, so "positive" cards become "negative" (you lose all the benefits) and vice versa... but others say that it is not totally accurate that in reality the "reverse" is not an opposite but a "diluted" version of the upright card, like if the card loses its strength. Which make "negative" cards like the "3 of Swords" not so dramatic, you are going to get hurt but it won't be so bad... or like for "The Fool" you would not be so enthousiastic, not so careless, not so prompt to believe, you would be more cautious as you go on your journey" So there is a positive aspect to the reverse as sometimes we better act more cautiously.

Anyhow thanks :D to let us know what wisdom the Knight of Swords (R) and the Devil (R) are giving to my daughter.

Peace :icon_flower:

norseman
11-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Shalimar, you did it exactly right. Post your question and wait :D for someone to answer.
Afraid I cannot field this one as my tarot [Sacred Circle] does not have a Devil card but, for what it's worth, here is my interpretation of KN. of Swords [rev]
"Beware of a liar who is deceitful and sly. They like to provoke quarrels and put you into tricky situations."

Any use to you ? Sacred Circle is a pagan tarot based on Celtic Mythology and Mysticism, so is often of a different slant.

Just to give the upright meaning
"Be prepared for sudden changes that temporarily throw your life into chaos - could be a new idea or vision, anything which diverts you from your path."
:smile: Sounds really Confucian !

Shalimar
11-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks Norseman!:smile:
I read your post to my daughter and she said that yes, the Reversed meaning of the Knight of Swords does make sense to her. She recognizes a relative that loves to put "oil in the fire" and who doesn't mind to lie and slander. She says, she will remain on her guard.
Peace :hug3:

norseman
04-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Upsadaisy, back to the top :D

norseman
06-01-2012, 01:31 PM
puff, puff, pant, pant - all this climbing back to the top again :D

norseman
19-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Page 2 for Tarot 101 ? Ridiculous :D

green
19-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Page 2 for Tarot 101 ? Ridiculous :D

what with page 2? puff puff:confused:

G

norseman
19-02-2012, 03:38 PM
101 was not even on the same page as the School. Seems like Admin have forgotten my request of Sticky status :D

green
24-02-2012, 08:14 AM
a very theoretical question:

what would you do with a deck you don't like or want any more?
i looked at my collection and it is quite a big one and as i'm a bit short of place i was thinking maybe to take out some decks i don't use but actually couldn't bring myself to do so, still i was thinking about what i would do with those decks if...
would it be safe and good to store them somewhere? is it better to give them or store them somewhere and under what conditions?

what would you do with an unused decks.

G

norseman
24-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Perhaps trading them like people used to do with cigarette cards. Swap shop in a new thread ?

green
26-02-2012, 08:05 PM
hi, i don't think i will be able really to give up/away any of my decks even those i don't want, i did it once with one deck and i regret to that day- even that it was a deck i didn't like and couldn't stand. but i was just wondering what others would do with decks they don't want or like, and how they feel about it, about giving them away of leaving them somewhere.

G

Trieah
26-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Good question. I'm not really sure I could give away any of mine either. And I somehow feel that it's not really the deck's fault if I'm not resonating with it all that well. I just think it's me who needs to attune myself to that deck. Of course, I mostly work with oracle decks, because I really like the much wider variety of what it could mean. I have a feeling that not all decks are going to be able to answer each question to the best of it's ability, and maybe that one deck that I rarely use, actually can. That's why I like to close my eyes and feel for which deck is calling out to answer the questions.

So maybe just hang on to those decks, and just see if someday they might be like an enthusiastic student waving their hand feverishly in the air, hoping the teacher will pick them :wink:

LadyTerra
27-02-2012, 04:47 AM
If handled properly--our Tarot Decks are infused w/ our own energy--they are a part of us--so giving one away is like giving away a piece of yourself.

I would REALLY have to trust someone (beyond a shadow of a doubt) to give them one of my Decks (and have never done so).:wink:

I think that if I happened upon a Deck that turned-out to be something that offended (or alarmed) me--I would either destroy it--or lock it in a wooden box.

Peace and Love on the path of your choice...

Blessed be...

norseman
21-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Back to the top [again]

LadyVirgoxoxo
21-04-2012, 08:25 PM
I gave one of my decks away last summer. It was a difficult deck for me to read, mainly because it was in French. I thought I would buy it though, because I have taken three years of high school French. It still didn't help that much. This was my very first deck, but a friend of mine wanted it, so I gave it to her. She seemed to find more ease in reading the deck than I did, even though she didn't know French! I think it just resonated better with her. Now I have a Rider Waite deck, that's very easy for me to read, but reading tarot isn't really enjoyable for me anymore. I don't know if it is the deck or me. I might give it away one day, but then again maybe I won't, because it is the only tarot deck I have.