PDA

View Full Version : Living a Spirtual Life in my world

JaiTrev
03-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Namaste!
I hope those who read this are as interested as I am in finding a spiritual path. Let me tell you a little about myself so you can help my address my situation. I am 21 years of age. I was not raised to be religious however, i have started to find hinduism as my chosen path. The problem is I am a full time student and will hopefully start a job this summer in a very busy city, working in the stock market. Lately, i have been very troubled because I love the business world and the city, as well as living a life with luxuries. However, i am finding it extremely hard to focus on my religious learnings as well as my profession and studies. I do not know how to balance everything to become fully involved in my religion while be able to stay fully involved in my career and my studies. Another issue I am having is with the fact that Hinduism and my career path my conflict. Business being very materialistic and capitalistic while hindu talks about simplicity and love.

Blessings to all

Vinayaka
03-01-2014, 01:44 PM
One of the 4 goals of Hinduism is wealth. It means more than financial though. Add in culture, friendship, etc. Indeed it is difficult to find this balance, especially these days, when materialism is the norm. I think the key is to do something. Even if it's 5 minutes to half an hour a day, it will keep you in contact with the divinity within Hinduism. Then oh holidays, or weekends you can go to a nearby temple to recharge.

Best wishes with it.

kris
03-01-2014, 03:59 PM
I am 21 years of age. I was not raised to be religious however, i have started to find hinduism as my chosen path. The problem is I am a full time student and will hopefully start a job this summer in a very busy city, working in the stock market. Lately, i have been very troubled because I love the business world and the city, as well as living a life with luxuries. However, i am finding it extremely hard to focus on my religious learnings as well as my profession and studies. I do not know how to balance everything to become fully involved in my religion while be able to stay fully involved in my career and my studies. Another issue I am having is with the fact that Hinduism and my career path my conflict. Business being very materialistic and capitalistic while hindu talks about simplicity and love.
Namaste, JaiTrev
I think we can have it all! In nArada purANa, there is a short prayer to lord gaNesha, called sankASTa nAshana stotra. In this prayer, sage nArada tells us to remember lord gaNesha with his twelve names. The prayer ends by telling us that with this prayer, students will acquire knowledge, those desiring wealth will acquire wealth, those pursuing family life will be blessed with family and children, and those wanting liberation from the binds of karma will do so.

There is no right goal in life. Each stage of our lives has its goals and all goals are valid as long they are not in conflict with dharma. In bhagavad gItA, lord kRSNa tells us the same thing and assure us that he fulfills our desires as long as they are consistent with dharma.

At your stage in life, there is nothing wrong with pursuing both knowledge and wealth. You can devote some time to spiritual learning along with other things that interest you. What is important in all stages of life is karma. It is our karma that that ultimately leads us to fulfillment perhaps not on a straight road but on a winding road with many twists and turns.

kumarjitghoshal
05-01-2014, 01:18 AM
Vidya dadati Vinayam (Knowledge makes one prudent)

Vinayat jati patratam (prudence begets worthiness)

Patratat Dhanam Apnoti (Worthiness creates wealth and enrichment)

Dhanat Dharma , Tataha Sukham (enrichment leads to right conduct, right conduct brings contentment)
- By Chanakya