PDA

View Full Version : The White Wolf and The Dark Wolf

Raven Poet
28-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Hi. I read this on a "Elders Meditation" website years ago (I think!) It was stated that it came from the Cherokee Nation, but I have also heard it spoken in different Nations (we like to share!) I will put it in a female reference, as my Elders have taught me to share Medicine stories from my gender.

A Grandmother was sharing some life teachings with some young adults. She told them, "Inside every person is a Dark Wolf and a White Wolf. They continually fight each other for power. The Dark Wolf is our envy, greed, hatred, and resentment. The Light Wolf is our compassion, generosity, love, and gratitude."

The young people thought this over for a while, then a young woman asked, "Grandmother - which Wolf wins?"

The Grandmother smiled and said, "The one you feed."

I love this story. I like to share it with the kids I work with - they go all owl-eyed (even the too-cool-for-school ones!) when I share it and it gets them thinking! Then we have a little tag line whenever we see each other in the school hallways - "Are you feeding your White Wolf?"

WhiteWolfy
29-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for posting this Raven Poet, just what i needed to hear. This post so resonates with me at the moment! and I need to start feeding the White Wolf again, i have let doubts and negativity dull down my light. Coincidence? I think not... Thankyou for the message :wink:

Native spirit
30-12-2013, 12:13 PM
:smile: I have heard this before somwhere ,my grandmother used to say things like that,i know she wouldnt have her photo taken because she believed it takes away part of your soul,and its something i will not do i hate it.but its good to pass it on to younger generations because its so true,

Namaste

pgrundy
31-12-2013, 03:27 PM
What always bothers me about this story is that no one feeds wolves. Wolves work together to feed themselves. In a real wolf pack, the dark wolf would have a purpose and would be needed by the pack. So I do not feed my dark or light side, but rather honor them both and pay attention.

GoldenLioness
31-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Well said pgrundy :)

pgrundy
01-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Well said pgrundy :)

Thanks Couuurtp. :smile:

Raven Poet
03-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Thanks for posting this Raven Poet, just what i needed to hear. This post so resonates with me at the moment! and I need to start feeding the White Wolf again, i have let doubts and negativity dull down my light. Coincidence? I think not... Thankyou for the message :wink:
Hey, WhiteWolfy! So glad you had a helpful connection! This story resonates with me too, all the time. I see my Dark wolf as my Ego - the human part of me that is necessary in this world to have - and that I can't get rid of because I do need it. I see my White Wolf as my Soul - the spiritual part of me that feels connected to all living beings and Creator. I won't "starve" my Dark wolf - just don't want her to overpower the Soul.