PDA

View Full Version : What are some Good oracle Card Decks?

Penguinapple
27-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Hello there,

I will be getting a deck of oracle cards soon and I would like to know what you recommend for a beginner starting out in using oracle cards?
- and also what are your favourite decks to use?

Niebla0007
28-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Try and look at Rider-Waite decks.
Tarot decks with some guide interpretations in the cards at least will be helpful like Doreen's Angel cards.
It depends on how you intend to use your tarots,
I use Rider-Waite for general reading,
angel cards in divination and healing,
& rune vision cards, etc. for ceremonies.
The Osho Zen Tarot deck looks very nice for some meditations, too but I haven't tried it yet.

I do not like the ones that has some people's face photos stuck in them, that's for sure.

Albalida
28-12-2013, 04:53 AM
Hello there,

I will be getting a deck of oracle cards soon and I would like to know what you recommend for a beginner starting out in using oracle cards?
- and also what are your favourite decks to use?

I'm a fan of the tarot, and my favorite is The Shadowscapes by Stephanie Pui Mun-Law. She has the images up on her website, and they're even more gorgeous in print. I think they're quite beginner-friendly.

The tarot can be intimidating because, unlike oracle decks, they come with a system that basically has it built in that negative things in life happen sometimes. Doreen Virtue made a tarot deck that she stresses is "completely safe and gentle" but I think the re-use of specific angels to represent different tarot cards are a little unimaginative.

But I must say, I love the tarot system. It allows me to read "between the cards" unlike oracle decks which I get a paint-by-numbers feel. The tarot system allows me to zoom out and see the relationship of elemental dignities, power differential between major and minor...that's why I like it.

And, I'm also at a vibration that can recognize that negative things do sometimes happen in life, so I'm not afraid of tarot cards such as Death or The Tower.

Evaah
28-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I think the Psychic Tarot Oracle is quite beginner-friendly. Like the name suggests, it's a hybrid deck. It has four suits like tarot, as well as major arcana, but all the cards read like oracle. It actually elicits some pretty specific answers. It's not too fluffy, either; it does recognize moments of loss and suffering.

It's my favorite deck to use when I need a straight, simple answer for something, or when I want to know the "theme" behind an event.

When I'm doing more in-depth readings, I tend to prefer tarot for the reasons Albalida mentioned. Tarot tends to tell stories and represent situations much better than oracle cards, which I find are primarily used for simple guidance.

My favorite deck is a tarot deck: the Mary-el Tarot. I'm also a fan of the Wildwood Tarot and Book of Shadows - As Above tarot.

Miimuu
29-12-2013, 07:07 PM
My favorite is the oracle of shadows and light by Lucy Cavendish. It's a beautiful deck with wonderful messages :)

katyking
31-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Osho Zen Tarot is a good all round deck.
Hope that Helps.

Penguinapple
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I've decided that I will get 4 decks to start me off they will be the Psychic tarot by john holland, healing with the angels cards, messages from your angels cards and angel tarot cards.

aboutwhatmatters
05-01-2014, 05:06 AM
When I read tarot, I used Rider-Waite. I now do SoulCollage, which is kind of like a personal tarot deck where you create each card yourself. There are several suits defined, but it's quite open-ended. For me, the cards I use now have a higher vibration, and I really love the whole process. Tarot has a long history and heritage, but also (from my perspective) a lot of baggage.

tealily
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
^ agree about the baggage - one of the biggest steps for me in Tarot was actually to completely ignore 85% of what I'd read about the individual card meanings, simplify, and spend more time thinking about what the card felt like to me. I find some Tarot 'meanings' incredibly pessimistic and depressing - not useful when you're already down and need some help getting back up!

This being said, I'm another Rider-Waite user. I don't like Oracle cards because it's not specific enough for me - rather than 'meditate on a single idea', I like details. What's going on? How did I get here? What can I do to get out of it? What will happen if I do x? eg 8 of Cups alone can sometimes be viewed negatively... but followed by something positive like 3 of Cups or The Sun, it starts indicating that though there might be sadness felt at leaving something behind, the future looked pretty positive so not to worry too much and go with the flow. Win! :D

daeichler
07-01-2014, 04:15 AM
I've used the Motherpeace deck for 25 years. Check it out. There are some wonderful books that are available, written by either of the co-authors, to help you with understanding the symbolism. The fact that the cards are round gives them additional slants (pun intended) with which they can be interpreted.

kore_wa_sensou
11-01-2014, 12:59 AM
My first deck was the Psychic Tarot Oracle Deck by John Holland, and I like it a lot. It's very accurate and I think it sort of digs the answers out of you, if that makes sense! The second deck I'm thinking of buying is The Shadowscapes Deck. I've heard many good things about it.

Denv12
21-01-2014, 12:57 AM
When choosing cards find ones that really attract you.Thats what I did.

Here are my card decks:
Dreaming in color Lumen Deck by Mindy Hope Somers.

The Answer is simple by Sonia Choquette.

I chose them because they really appealled to me.

Good luck.

CrystalSong
21-01-2014, 05:06 PM
I really like the two decks by Colette Baron Reid "Wisdom of Avalon Oracle cards" and " Wisdom of the Hidden Realms"

They answer questons in two differnt ways. I just ask my question then hover my hand over the decksand see which one I feel energy from to select which deck has the answer in it. Wisdom of the Hidden Realms has an inverted reading also, so Spirit is able to use it to scold me and guide me more effectively also. I really like that deck alot because of its versitility.

Denv12
21-01-2014, 08:44 PM
I really like the two decks by Colette Baron Reid "Wisdom of Avalon Oracle cards" and " Wisdom of the Hidden Realms"

They answer questons in two differnt ways. I just ask my question then hover my hand over the decksand see which one I feel energy from to select which deck has the answer in it. Wisdom of the Hidden Realms has an inverted reading also, so Spirit is able to use it to scold me and guide me more effectively also. I really like that deck alot because of its versitility.

I chose my card decks because I was drawn to them/aatracted to them.There's that connection with the cards.It feels right.

I start by working out what my question is,figure out what card spread to use then shuffle the cards whilst thinking of my question.I fan out the cards across the table.I wave my hand slowly over the cards.As I call out for a card I need for that position in the spread my hand gets drawn to a card I pick up the card and put it in its place on the spread.I then read the spread.

I have a habit of coming up with my own spread designs.Any time I need to ask a specific question I'll try to find a spread to suit the question or design one.I thien share it with others to see if helps others.I post it on aeclectic.

kimtsan
07-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Wisdom of the Hidden Realms by Colette Baron Reid is an amazing deck. It's fantasy and archetype-oriented, so if that's your cup of tea you can really connect with the images and the figures (such as the Lady of Lightning, Rainbow Princess, etc). The deck itself consists of 44 cards and a guide-book. The same author has another oracle deck, the Map. The artwork is amazing but personally I feel like the titles or names for each card are a bit shallow and arbitrary. Personally I favour something more symbolic and something I can understand intuitively.

Anyway. Back to the Hidden Realms deck. It's great, but I do feel that the guide book could have delved more into the symbolic potential of each card, instead of concluding each card with "let the Divine guide you and fulfill your destiny". It's a positive message and all, but it does get repetitive. If you do decide to get this deck you should look into annotating the descriptions for each card on the guide book to expand your readings.

(Oh, I just realized this post is no longer relevant XD...it's been like,what, 2 years...?)