PDA

View Full Version : Does God Exist???

Inward_Journey
12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
I think that it is a matter of how you define god. When you say you do/don't believe in god, what is it that you are saying your belief is? I think that everyone is right in their answer, because of where they are speaking from. If I say," God is a supreme, separate being, that is watching me and suppose to cure me of my hardship if I pray hard enough and do good things, and at the end judge me upon how good I do", and I say that, "I don't believe in god", I would be correct in that belief. Because that belief doesn't prove to be true in our experience when we try to find solidity. It doesn't fit. But if I don't open my mind and look for a different definition that works, then I live in a godless reality. To me, god doesn't exist!

If I had the same definition of god, and said that, "I do believe in god", I would still be correct, because it is the experience I chose to have. Though it is a negative belief, because no matter what, it still does not fit in our life experience with solidity. But someone like me would have faith that it is true, even though life proves otherwise, and would expect some reward for doing this. Only faith is driving me with this definition of god, and without solidity, it is actually faith in someones elses belief.

If I said that, "God is an intelligent energy that is life itself, and because I exist, I am one with god. And god will give me all things I choose to focus on. Example: If I chose to focus on depressing things, then god will give me more things/situations to be depressed about. We are not god, but god is us.",And I say, " I believe in god". I would be correct from that perspective. I don't see how someone with this belief in god, can say that god doesn't exist. Also it fits in our experience, with solidity! If we choose to define god this way, then we have doubtless proof that god exists, and can take responsibility for our own hardship and do something about it.

keith95843
12-12-2013, 03:46 PM
I believe there is a Great Spirit full of love and compassion people get to caught up in the details of what they want to believe this Great Spirit is about and forget about the Love and Compassion.

Inward_Journey
12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I believe there is a Great Spirit full of love and compassion people get to caught up in the details of what they want to believe this Great Spirit is about and forget about the Love and Compassion.

What is Spirit?

A human Being
12-12-2013, 05:22 PM
I think 'I believe in God' is a meaningless phrase, tbh - beliefs are intellectual positions, which is to say, illusory. They have no reality, words can only ever point to the truth, they never are the truth.

To know the truth, you have to be the truth.

Actually, forget the truth - you just have to be. All else follows.

keith95843
12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
A Spirit is energy once a person leaves there body they are now a Spirit

What is Spirit?

campingfriends
12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Everyone has a different prospective of God because he is everything to everybody and our veiw could be warped by opinions of our own or of others. If Gods spirit is in you you are his, if you have not recieved him he is not in you, simple as that. If he is in you you are a person of love if you allow his spirit to move about within you

campingfriends
12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
I questioned everything. my conclusion; he exists and he is in me and jesus saved me and I have a relationship with the trinity. That is all i care about, the rest is speculation

A human Being
12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Everyone has a different prospective of God because he is everything to everybody and our veiw could be warped by opinions of our own or of others. If Gods spirit is in you you are his, if you have not recieved him he is not in you, simple as that. If he is in you you are a person of love if you allow his spirit to move about within you
To me, everything in existence is a manifestation of God, so God is in everything - nothing is ever separate from God.

A human Being
12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
I questioned everything. my conclusion; he exists and he is in me and jesus saved me and I have a relationship with the trinity. That is all i care about, the rest is speculation
You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but when Jesus saved you, what exactly was your experience? I come from a Christian household so I know repentance is a big part of it, which implies a need for humility, because in order to sincerely repent your sins you first have to recognise when you have sinned, and that can involve a lot of pride-swallowing.

It's actually an essential part of awakening, now I think about it. I have a bit of a problem with a lot of the Christians I personally know, if I'm honest, I believe they're over-looking a lot of what Jesus said about compassion, forgiveness, 'loving thine enemy', non-judgment, and so on. I think Jesus was a great man and an enlightened teacher, but I don't agree with the veneration of him as some kind of superman who will save us all, and I do wonder what he'd make of the Churches that were set up in his name.

Swami Chihuahuananda
12-12-2013, 07:37 PM
yes, no, maybe. next question ...

Mr Interesting
12-12-2013, 11:52 PM
What can we say with absolute certainty?

I've just said it...

I'm going to meditate now.

Inward_Journey
13-12-2013, 12:47 PM
yes, no, maybe. next question ...

The point of of my original statement was to point out, that how we define god/spirit makes a huge difference in how we experience our reality. There are many definitions that will work for us in a positive way, but there are definitions that will work against us as well. Many of us don't know that some traditional religious groups have definitions of god that will disconnect us from our true selves. That is all :wink: