PDA

View Full Version : Why God is called labelled "He"

supernova
07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
God is gendered and deemed masculine mostly if not always. In most cultures God is a male and mostly is addressed as "He". Why dis God manifest in male figures? In Christianity females have little role. There is an example of St. Mary, Magdalena and the like but mostly it is males.

In Hinduism there are female figures but mostly male figures. In Islam there God is a male figure.

Why we do not address God as "SHE"?

Is it because the world is male dominated? Or it is male's muscular prowess that femininity always has to be subservient?

I do not want this to be a controversy and just want people's opinions on the issue so that I and the rest who might have questions on this can learn

Smiler
07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I think because a man named God a he ! :)
And on earth we tend to pick a gender and this is passed down through generations, and yes I agree the world is mainly male dominated so that probadly has a great deal to do with it.
God said
"I am that I am" or along those lines..No gender!
when we say made in Gods image I think thats our light and energy! Not body!

:)'s

pre-dawn
07-11-2010, 03:39 PM
The reason lies in the male and female archetypes.
The female is mysterious, dark, unpredictable, erratic, ignorant about the greater world, irrational and tending towards contraction.
It is the male function to bring knowledge, light, order and predictability into the chaos. The direction is outwards, expansion.

God's function, the one at the top of the pile, must correspond to the male function if we want to progress, and thus he is usually personified as a male.

Kaere
07-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Depends on which God and society you're talking about I guess. There's been lots of Goddesses throughout the ages.

Silver
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
God is gendered and deemed masculine mostly if not always. In most cultures God is a male and mostly is addressed as "He". Why dis God manifest in male figures? In Christianity females have little role. There is an example of St. Mary, Magdalena and the like but mostly it is males.

In Hinduism there are female figures but mostly male figures. In Islam there God is a male figure.

Is it because the world is male dominated? Or it is male's muscular prowess that femininity always has to be subservient?

I do not want this to be a controversy and just want people's opinions on the issue so that I and the rest who might have questions on this can learn

Maybe because only the male is inherently freer to move about from place to place safely? Christ moved about a lot, He was here to spread 'the word' to interact, to heal, to raise awareness? Females would be far less safe to move about in the larger world without fear of being attacked or preyed upon?

supernova
07-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Maybe because only the male is inherently freer to move about from place to place safely? Christ moved about a lot, He was here to spread 'the word' to interact, to heal, to raise awareness? Females would be far less safe to move about in the larger world without fear of being attacked or preyed upon?

You maybe true. Yes females are weaker and less traveled and therefore they were considered softer sexes.

However I feel that women are not incapable of anything under the sun.

Today also in most countries women are considered weaker sexes and in some parts of India women are treated as commodities and women have no free lives and they are dependents and men marry them for sexual gratifications and at the same time for begetting babies for their husbands.

This entails the fact that women had and still have lesser roles and remained subservient in society. Of course women must unite and reposition their existence in society, redefine their roles and authority and reorient their power and positions

Then God will be re-labeled SHE

Chrysaetos
07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Is it because the world is male dominated? Or it is male's muscular prowess that femininity always has to be subservient? Both.
Man created god in Man's image.

Advanced civilisations, having less connection with the wilderness, focus more on human relationship. Thus, their gods are human.
Hunter-gatherers had/have animalistic gods. Some civilisations show transitions between stages, like Egypt.

The incarnations of the Indian god Vishnu also clearly shows this transition in people's perception of god. First god was animalistic, later on he was more human, and in the future he'll come on a horse.

mac
07-11-2010, 05:16 PM

"Is it because the world is male dominated? Or it is male's muscular prowess that femininity always has to be subservient? " YES!

My view is directly in line with your own and I frequently raise this matter, particularly so when females use the male form to refer to God.

What I find even more astonishing, though, is that even after trying to be supportive, I haven't encountered a single female who is prepared to re-consider how she refers to it (God that is - it's not a fella and not a woman either)

Even within my own religion, where women have as prominent roles as men, God is still referred to as 'he' and 'him' - or as 'He' and 'Him'!! - when it's taught that God is never an individual anyway.....let alone one with gender. :rolleyes:

It still amazes me.

mac
07-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Depends on which God and society you're talking about I guess. There's been lots of Goddesses throughout the ages.

If 'God' is the supreme creator - rather than some mythical, human-made god - then neither god nor goddess has much meaning. The supreme creator has no gender and isn't personified.

It's yet another example of some folks' lack of clarity about what they mean when they refer to 'god'....

Kaere
07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
If 'God' is the supreme creator - rather than some mythical, human-made god - then neither god nor goddess has much meaning. The supreme creator has no gender and isn't personified.

It's yet another example of some folks' lack of clarity about what they mean when they refer to 'god'....

Apologies for my lack of clarity mac - I hadn't realized a dissertation was required this morning.

Silver
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
You maybe true. Yes females are weaker and less traveled and therefore they were considered softer sexes.

However I feel that women are not incapable of anything under the sun.

Today also in most countries women are considered weaker sexes and in some parts of India women are treated as commodities and women have no free lives and they are dependents and men marry them for sexual gratifications and at the same time for begetting babies for their husbands.

This entails the fact that women had and still have lesser roles and remained subservient in society. Of course women must unite and reposition their existence in society, redefine their roles and authority and reorient their power and positions

Then God will be re-labeled SHE

I had heard long ago that some cultures mainly in the past, both here (some American Indian tribes) and other continents had cultures that were matriarchal.
I don't know which ones, though.

When I was relatively young, basically still a kid, my mom was driving somewhere with me, and I said to her (we were talking about Jesus coming again), maybe Christ will come as a female, instead of Christ, it will be Christina, like his sister, sort of wondering out loud about this sort of thing to her. You should've seen her face. Her jaw dropped to the floor in amazement. To this day, I don't fully relate to anybody having that response, but you'd have thought I performed a miracle, which just goes to show just how truly beaten down (mentally and/or physically) and belittled women were back then. Which angers me greatly because I came from a long line of hard working reasonably intelligent, loving women (and men) on my mother's side (I knew more of them, although I'm sure my dad's side had too).

inspirit
07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
That's a good question. I think that one reason He is used is because of the precedent. God has been seen as a male and a king for many centuries long before Jesus came along. They would see him as having might and power, qualities that were associated with males at the time.

Then came Jesus who tried to introduce God as a Father and the people as his children. Jesus often quoted scripture and I believe that was to get people to listen and he stuck with the precedent of God being a male for purposes of keeping it simple. The main point Jesus wanted to get across though wasn't that God is a male. I think he wanted us to know about our relationship to God and that he loves us like a father (or mother) loves his children. Moreover Jesus wants us to view God as a person and not as a mere force of energy and we do not have gender neutral pronouns for people in our language. So he continued with the precedent of He. But I think in fact God has no gender, but that he encompasses both male and female.

As for the reasons why God incarnated as Jesus, a male child, that is a different question but also worth exploring. I think He probably knew that he would be able to have the most effect as a male because of sexism. Jesus was against sexism and spoke up for women, but at the same time I think he might have chosen to take advantage of the greater status that males had at that time.

mac
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Apologies for my lack of clarity mac - I hadn't realized a dissertation was required this morning.

no apology needed - You did what you could :hug2:

mac
07-11-2010, 07:36 PM
"As for the reasons why God incarnated as Jesus,....." Huh! Musta got that wrong - thought it was claimed that the Nazarene was the son of god, not God the father etc?

Greenslade
07-11-2010, 07:49 PM

It is because the Romans invented Christianity and theirs was a patriarchal society.

Rumar
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
The name of the Christian and Catholic God is Yahweh, that's not a Goddess name, if in scripture today and back then, there would be evidence that it was a Goddess not a God. Plus, the beard kinda gives it away, unless you're worshipping a bearded lady.

innerlight
07-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Calling God a he, or a she, or Goddess falls into duality. If there is a he then there is a she. A father then has the mother, and so on. Most of the times when you see God referred to as a he is more than likely because of the author trying to establish male supremacy over the female.

Sadly such a concept is still prevalent in the church as females are unable to be priests. Only males can. (Unless they changed that)

I think it was also a way that the author was using for them to understand. Such as males used God, and then the females had their version being the Goddess.

John32241
08-11-2010, 02:32 AM
As I see it, what humanity defines as God is genderless. It is true that men in our history has feared the feminine intuition. Thus defining God as male. Women are more integrated than men. This attribute can be hard for a man to accept.

The creator crafted men and women as equals. They are designed to either work together in harmony or feel inadequate them self. That apples to both genders. I found it quite disturbing that, as a culture, we have not yet learned to appreciate one another.

In my view, each gender could appreciate the ways of being for the other gender much more than we do at this time.

The constant reference to God as a He is clear evidence to me, how unbalanced we are. Much of our scripture recorded by men, distorts the true nature of divinity.

For some deeper insight as well as a woman's perspective, I suggest these two Anna books.

http://seepublishing.com/

John

Rumar
08-11-2010, 02:37 AM
Calling God a he, or a she, or Goddess falls into duality. If there is a he then there is a she. A father then has the mother, and so on. Most of the times when you see God referred to as a he is more than likely because of the author trying to establish male supremacy over the female.

Sadly such a concept is still prevalent in the church as females are unable to be priests. Only males can. (Unless they changed that)

I think it was also a way that the author was using for them to understand. Such as males used God, and then the females had their version being the Goddess.
So there should be a Goddess in charge as well alongside your God? Would this be Gaia (Mother Earth)?

innerlight
08-11-2010, 03:22 AM
So there should be a Goddess in charge as well alongside your God? Would this be Gaia (Mother Earth)?

Depending on whom you talk to there is a belief that it was a father and mother creater that created humans, and earth, and was not just one entity.

I was referring to if you're creating God as a He you are also creating a Goddess as a She.

3dnow
08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I think it is because people who created religion were fearful and needed protection.

Protection is the man's role so God was created as he.

Man protect woman so protection cannot be associated with women.

I suspect that it is all about fear/protection. We (including women) feel safer with a strong man lol.

It is ridiculous of course.

3dnow

orli_the_owl
13-11-2010, 07:56 PM
possibly because, in the english langage at least, people do not wish to use the genderless 'IT' to describe their higher power.
but more than likely because history, the bible and everything in it was writen by men who wanted to feel good about themselves.

Greenslade
15-11-2010, 06:54 AM

God made man, man made religion and religion was - for centuries and still is - male dominated.

psychoslice
15-11-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't see any dingle dangles hanging from God or any uncharted caves, I just see God, Consciousness and me.

Zenith
26-12-2010, 07:18 PM
"As for the reasons why God incarnated as Jesus,....." Huh! Musta got that wrong - thought it was claimed that the Nazarene was the son of god, not God the father etc?

Hey Mac,

Not even orthodox Christianity says that Jesus was God the Father; they say he is God the Son. Christianity, generally, believes that God the Son incarnated in the human person of Jesus.

God bless.

Sira
26-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Why God is labelled he?
If I take a look at the last few thousand years of humankind's history, it seems quite masculine by its energy. Maybe that's why.

Chrysaetos
27-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Why God is labelled he?
If I take a look at the last few thousand years of humankind's history, it seems quite masculine by its energy. Maybe that's why.Could you define masculinity? Our ideas of what is masculine and what is feminine is borrowed from cultural values and beliefs.

And why is the history of mankind ''masculine''?

Racer X
27-12-2010, 02:06 AM
God is "No-Thing"

A "Symbol" is a once removed "sign of God".

Words are descriptions of Symbols.........as such, they are twice removed.

This is why it said "Be still and know God"; its means "stop thinking", let the words dissolve & quiet the mind. It takes some effort at first....

It is neither a she nor a he.....no word will suffice here.

TheDivine
27-12-2010, 03:19 AM
I think trying to put a name to the divine, or source, or whatever it is you want to call it, is absurd. But humans will try because we like to identify with things based on what they are called. In order to name something though, your ego has to get involved, and that is where gendered names come from, or tribal divisions between whose identification of the divine is more correct.

I accept what anyone decides to call the higher power because I know everyone is basically referring to the same thing, and the connection is the same in all of us.

Shabda
27-12-2010, 06:22 AM
God is "No-Thing"

A "Symbol" is a once removed "sign of God".

Words are descriptions of Symbols.........as such, they are twice removed.

This is why it said "Be still and know God"; its means "stop thinking", let the words dissolve & quiet the mind. It takes some effort at first....

It is neither a she nor a he.....no word will suffice here.
i agree, i find i use the term "It" for God quite a bit...

Summerkat
27-12-2010, 07:51 AM
When I was little I called God a he because thats what I was taught. When I was about 20, I learned of the Goddess and from then on God was She. I'm now 51 and "God" is an energy field more than anything, but when I am visualizing God I see God as female.

There have been temples to the Goddess. Some churches sit on sites that formerly were places where she was worshiped. God is a he because the most vocal religions are all male centered and into converting people to their religion (convert or die was pretty popular). They wipe out any evidence of other type of worship or beliefs. Brute force explains a lot of why God is male. Another reason is it was also easier to control women by claiming God was male. Men have always been rather threatened by women.

supernova
27-12-2010, 08:34 AM
When I was little I called God a he because thats what I was taught. When I was about 20, I learned of the Goddess and from then on God was She. I'm now 51 and "God" is an energy field more than anything, but when I am visualizing God I see God as female.

There have been temples to the Goddess. Some churches sit on sites that formerly were places where she was worshiped. God is a he because the most vocal religions are all male centered and into converting people to their religion (convert or die was pretty popular). They wipe out any evidence of other type of worship or beliefs. Brute force explains a lot of why God is male. Another reason is it was also easier to control women by claiming God was male. Men have always been rather threatened by women.

The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

psychoslice
27-12-2010, 09:18 AM
What if God was labeled a woman, would this thread be reversed in its questioning ?.

supernova
27-12-2010, 09:22 AM
What if God was labeled a woman, would this thread be reversed in its questioning ?.

No friend. God is indifferent to all these manmade genders

psychoslice
27-12-2010, 09:37 AM
No friend. God is indifferent to all these manmade genders
Of course i know that but I'm asking the question to those who don't think as you and I do.lol

Sira
27-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Could you define masculinity? Our ideas of what is masculine and what is feminine is borrowed from cultural values and beliefs.

And why is the history of mankind ''masculine''?
No, sweetheart, if we go to this level of communication, it becomes mere semantics and hair splitting, and takes much more energy than it gives back.
Have a beautiful day!

Chrysaetos
27-12-2010, 09:56 AM
No, sweetheart, if we go to this level of communication, it becomes mere semantics and hair splitting, and takes much more energy than it gives back.
Have a beautiful day!But semantics is important, because how else can we understand one another on a forum? Many words have various meanings.

Ideas about masculinity and femininity are deeply ingrained in culture, which is why it's tricky to make universal statements about it.
So I would like to know what ''masculinity'' and ''femininity'' are, and how human history was ''masculine'' by its ''energy''..

supernova
27-12-2010, 10:06 AM
So I would like to know what ''masculinity'' and ''femininity'' are, ..

It is so simple and even a child can explain.

We at times love to complicate the simple thing, making a mountain out of a mole.

Everything in nature is simple and ewe rationalize, philosophize and spiritualize simple natural phenomena and everyday reality.

We love complexity,ambiguity and express our thoughts in very complex English and that is our nature

Sira
27-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Chrysaetos, for me it is more important that we love and respect each other. Masculine/feminine, simplified to the core, is the yin/yang concept that we each carry within. For me, outer creation with all its manifestations, wars included, is part of yang/masculine element. Inner creation with the ultimate goal of balance is the yin/feminine element. This time in humankind's history is about balancing the elements, first within, then reflecting it to our creation.
We do not always have to understand each other, although it's a beautiful goal. You have put many key terms in quotes, for example "energy", leading me to think that you expect me to begin to explain these terms from my perspective and experience. Rather than do that, I would gently ask you to familiarize yourself with the concept of yin and yang, to possibly form your own truth or an aspect of it. That done, it's easier to exchange ideas and possibly improve our truths, through open sharing where both parties give as much as they take and energy is balanced.

Chrysaetos
27-12-2010, 10:52 AM
It is so simple and even a child can explain.
Well, try to do if it's so easy..
Chrysaetos, for me it is more important that we love and respect each other. Masculine/feminine, simplified to the core, is the yin/yang concept that we each carry within. For me, outer creation with all its manifestations, wars included, is part of yang/masculine element. Inner creation with the ultimate goal of balance is the yin/feminine element. This time in humankind's history is about balancing the elements, first within, then reflecting it to our creation.
Thank you.

So outer creation is masculine and inner creation is feminine, according to your definitions. Can I ask you what it is that makes the ''outer'' world masculine and the ''inner'' world feminine?
Culture is significant here, and I see both man and woman focused on ''inner'' and ''outer'' worlds. Woman can be very materialistic and man can be ascetics. I personally don't see a clear polarity.

Sira
27-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Yes, men carry the yin and yang aspects within themselves, as do women carry the yin and yang aspects within themselves. Polarity is probably not the word I'd use in this connection, I'd rather talk about duality. Duality means that there are two aspects, polarity is the realization of these aspects, the interaction.
There are men who are more yin and women who are more yang and this is perfect. Think of it this way: if there were only women in the military forces of the world, what would happen to the wars?

supernova
27-12-2010, 11:09 AM
We all see God through our lenses. You may have a masucline lens and I may have a feminine lens and there maybe some having both or none.

If you are a demon, your God too is a demon. If you are a saint, God too is a saint.

You will see your own relfection and northing else.

psychoslice
27-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes, men carry the yin and yang aspects within themselves, as do women carry the yin and yang aspects within themselves. Polarity is probably not the word I'd use in this connection, I'd rather talk about duality. Duality means that there are two aspects, polarity is the realization of these aspects, the interaction.
There are men who are more yin and women who are more yang and this is perfect. Think of it this way: if there were only women in the military forces of the world, what would happen to the wars?
It would be one hell of a war thats for sure, I've sen woman fight and its not a pretty sight at all lol.

supernova
27-12-2010, 11:16 AM
It would be one hell of a war thats for sure, I've sen woman fight and its not a pretty sight at all lol.

You have spelled out what I always want!

Silver
27-12-2010, 11:20 AM
You have spelled out what I always want!

You always want women @ war???
Be careful what you wish for.
:wink: :tongue:

Chrysaetos
27-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Think of it this way: if there were only women in the military forces of the world, what would happen to the wars?My wild guess is; not much if they would go through the same training. It's an interesting subject to research.
But just because man have always been more dominant doesn't mean woman can't be dangerous and warlike (if I get what you're saying here).

What would have happened to scientific progress without the males?

supernova
27-12-2010, 11:25 AM
You always want women @ war???
Be careful what you wish for.
:wink: :tongue:

Not in the least. I have no bias. And gender bias is a vice. Sometime I like the way Psychoslice speaks up things wittily. And if I went off the limit to demean women or sounded so with this post I am very apologetic

Silver
27-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Not in the least. I have no bias. And gender bias is a vice. Sometime I like the way Psychoslice speaks up things wittily. And if I went off the limit to demean women or sounded so with this post I am very apologetic

No need for sorry~I was jokiing around, if you couldn't tell by my choice of smilies.:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :D

supernova
27-12-2010, 11:29 AM
No need for sorry~I was jokiing around, if you couldn't tell by my choice of smilies.:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :D

Thank God! I thought I hit on women. I am never away from the ghost of women. I am the woman's son, husband, boyfriend, lover and mostly admirer of their external and internal beauties. I could not exist and cannot if there was no woman or women in my life

Silver
27-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Thank God! I thought I hit on women. I am never away from the ghost of women. I am the woman's son, husband, boyfriend, lover and mostly admirer of their external and internal beauties. I could not exist and cannot if there was no woman or women in my life

{Keep in mind, I'm still joking here...} Are you braggin' or complainin'?!

chinu
27-12-2010, 12:10 PM

AS: Docter can be addressed as SHE/HE both,

Similarly: GOD can also be addressed as SHE/HE both,

AS: When Docter manifest in the body of any Female, That person is addressed as: SHE is Docter X, and when the same docter manifest in the body of any Male, That person is addressed as: HE is Docter X.

Similarly: When God manifest in the body of any Female, That person is addressed as: SHE is God X, and when the same docter manifest in the body of any Male, That person is addressed as: HE is God X.

When on this earth GOD manifest, if in the body of any MALE, Gernally people start to address GOD as "He".

And for "Only that time" there is nothing wrong in addressing God as "He" or "She" that for the sake of our Salvation.

Afterall Docter is Docter and we are in the need of Treatment.
Afterall GOD is GOD and we are in the need of Salvation.

_/\_Chinu.

supernova
27-12-2010, 01:28 PM
{Keep in mind, I'm still joking here...} Are you braggin' or complainin'?!

None! For if I do those things I will again fall into the trap. I have fallen several times and now no more. I got unpopularity with several women here and I want no more disputation!

A Glass named Esther
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
G-d is described in the Torah as encompassing both male and female attributes. This would be something similar to describing a plug and socket. On one end you have the giver (male) and on the other end you have the receiver (female).

During intimacy, the male gives his potential seed to the female (originating from his mind). The female then nurtures and develops the potential she receives into a child (a physical being).

The "male" aspect of G-d gives us so much potential in this world. It is up to us to nurture and develop the potential we are all given.

hybrid
10-01-2011, 10:02 PM
moses heard a voice from burning bush in the wilderness. it must have been a male voice.

the holy spirit speaks to us thru us for us. so the voices we heard must be ours.

A Glass named Esther
11-01-2011, 01:31 AM
moses heard a voice from burning bush in the wilderness. it must have been a male voice.

the holy spirit speaks to us thru us for us. so the voices we heard must be ours.

If you are focusing on the sound of your own voice then how can you hear the sound of G-d's Voice?

Keep in mind an entire Nation (not just Moses) heard the sound of G-d's Voice and experienced open revelation at Sinai. If each person were hearing the sound of their own voice there would have been no reason for begging Moses to finish speaking because they couldn't handle the intensity of G-d's Voice.

hybrid
11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
If you are focusing on the sound of your own voice then how can you hear the sound of G-d's Voice?

Keep in mind an entire Nation (not just Moses) heard the sound of G-d's Voice and experienced open revelation at Sinai. If each person were hearing the sound of their own voice there would have been no reason for begging Moses to finish speaking because they couldn't handle the intensity of G-d's Voice.

is the sound of your voice inside your head has a particular male o female tone to it?

Summerland
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I would recommend reading "When God Was a Woman" A lot of archaelogy was done by males and a lot of what they discovered was slanted to a male heirarchy. Many religions and ancient religions were based on the Divine Feminine

themaster
12-01-2011, 08:31 AM

I do not want this to be a controversy and just want people's opinions on the issue so that I and the rest who might have questions on this can learnGod is not a he.. god is a we :smile:

We are god and god is us.. but before we created this game.. we did not have genders (genders were created for this game.. in fact masculine and feminine is part of us all)

So it's irony.. that not only do we prescribe god the label of he sometimes.. but we prescribe angels such as metratron or uriel labels of he and she as well.. when they don't have those qualities/distinctions.. they have a balance of masculine/feminine energy and don't see themselves that way..

Greenslade
12-01-2011, 09:09 AM
God is a 'He' because the Roman Catholic church says so. It really is that simple.

Chrysaetos
12-01-2011, 10:13 AM
God is a 'He' because the Roman Catholic church says so. It really is that simple.And most Protestant churches say it as well. Jesus too, mentioned our Father in heaven. Not to forget about Islam..
The prominent Gods in Hinduism and mesoamerica are also males..

It's quite a list:tongue:

Narasimhan
12-01-2011, 03:35 PM
In hinduism or to be exact- sanathana dharma- God's manifesting is just to fit in to our understanding as the world is made out to be by HIM-males and females exist only in creation- God is above the creation-He is neither male-neither female-nor eunuch-See i also address God as He-It is just our convenience

hybrid
13-01-2011, 05:14 AM
yes

Greenslade
13-01-2011, 05:40 AM
And most Protestant churches say it as well. Jesus too, mentioned our Father in heaven. Not to forget about Islam..
The prominent Gods in Hinduism and mesoamerica are also males..

It's quite a list:tongue:

That's male domination for you

A Glass named Esther
13-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I would recommend reading "When God Was a Woman" A lot of archaelogy was done by males and a lot of what they discovered was slanted to a male heirarchy. Many religions and ancient religions were based on the Divine Feminine

The Torah has always included both the masculine and feminine of G-d. The Shechinah is the manifestation of the divine presence in this world; G-d's feminine manifestation.

angeleyes
15-01-2011, 08:40 AM
If you look at the origin of word god one clearly sees a totally differant meaning its widely known the church corrupted the true meanings of certain words in bible to suit their own purposes people have been misled for centurys.:wink: read below be enlightened I know i was when my father pointed it out to me.

It has caused much confusion amongst christians in as much as the word god does not refer to what they think it does!

GOD - The English word God is identical with the Anglo-Saxon word for “good,” and therefore it is believed that the name God refers to the divine goodness. (See Oehler's Theol. of Old Test.; Strong's and Young's concordances.) (From New Unger's Bible Dictionary) (Originally published by Moody Press of Chicago, Illinois. Copyright (C) 1988.)

Word origin: God - Our word god goes back via Germanic to Indo-European, in which a corresponding ancestor form meant “invoked one.” The word’s only surviving non-Germanic relative is Sanskrit hu, invoke the gods, a form which appears in the Rig Veda, most ancient of Hindu scriptures: puru-hutas, “much invoked,” epithet of the rain-and-thunder god Indra. (From READER’S DIGEST, Family Word Finder, page 351) (Originally published by The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., Pleasantville New York, Montreal; Copyright (C) 1975)

Now if the sources noted above are accurate, then the word that we use for the Supreme Being, God, comes from a very pagan origin. Thus the word god is used generically by many different religions to refer to their deity or “invoked one.”

note pagan origin lol:icon_eek:

The language of 10th-century England is as far removed from us today as the dragon ships of the Vikings. To read Old English with comprehension, we must study it like a foreign language. Here, for example, are the opening verses of the Lord’s Prayer as recited by Englishmen in the year 1000:

Old English Modern English (King James)

Faeder ure, Our Father

Thu the eart on heofonum, which art in heaven,

Si thin Nama gehalgod. Hallowed be thy name.

Tobecume thin rice. Thy kingdom come.

Gewurthe thin willa on eorthan Thy will be done in earth,

Swa swa on heofonum... as it is in heaven...

Since our English language has it’s origin from Indo-European influence, our understanding of the meaning of the word for “God” (from the Biblical Hebrew and Greek languages) is obviously different.

When the King James Version of the Bible (KJV) was translated in A.D. 1611, the translators used the words common to European people. Instead of translating a word properly, by using the Hebrew or Greek meaning, the translators replaced the true meaning of the Scriptural words with words common to their London English vernacular.

For example, we will first examine the words, LORD, Lord, and lord. By providing the true meaning of the use of these words, it is easy to see how the early Bible translations were in error:

LORD - LORD. The rendering of several Hebrew and Greek words, which have different meanings:

1. LORD; GOD = Jehovah (Yahweh; Hebrew YHWH, third person singular noun from the root word, “ehyeh” meaning literally, “self-existent”). This is used as a proper name of God and should have been retained in that form by the translators. The LORD (Yahweh) should read in the KJV and other versions as, “He is” or “He exists”.

2. Lord or lord = (Hebrew ‘Adon’), an early word denoting ownership; hence, absolute control. It is not properly a divine title, being used of the owner of slaves (Genesis 24:14,27; 39:2,7, rendered “master”), of kings, such as the lords of their subjects (Isaiah 26:13, “master”), of a husband as lord of the wife (Genesis 18:12). It is applied to God as the owner and governor of the whole earth <Ps. 114:7>. It is sometimes used as a term of respect (like our sir) but with a pronoun attached (“my lord”). It often occurs in the plural.

3. Lord = Adonai (Hebrew ‘adonay’), emphatic, “the Lord”; many regard it as the plural of number two (above; Adon). It is used chiefly in the Pentateuch-- always where God is submissively and reverently addressed (Exodus 4:10,13; Joshua 7:8) and also when God is spoken of (1 Kings 13:9; 22:6). The Jews, out of a superstitious reverence for the name Jehovah, always pronounce “Adonai” where “Yahweh” is written. The similar form, with the suffix, is also used of men, as of Potiphar (Genesis 39:2, “master”) and of Joseph (Genesis 42:30, 33).

4. Lord, Master = (Greek ‘kurios,’ meaning, “supreme”); referencing he to whom a person or thing belongs, the master, the one having disposition of men or property, as the “owner of the vineyard” (Matthew 20:8; 21:40; Mark 12:9; Luke 20:15); the “Lord of the harvest” (Matthew 9:38; Luke 10:2); the “master of the house” (Mark 13:35); “Lord of the Sabbath” (Matthew 12:8; Mark 2:28; Luke 6:5), as having the power to determine what is suitable to the Sabbath, and of releasing himself and others from its obligation.

The term is also a title of honor sometimes rendered “sir” and is expressive of the respect and reverence with which servants salute their master (Matthew 13:27; Luke 13:8; 14:22); employed by a son in addressing his father (Matthew 21:29); by citizens toward magistrates (Matthew 27:63); by anyone wishing to honor a man of distinction (Matthew 8:2,6,8; 15:27; Mark 7:28; Luke 5:12); by the disciples in saluting Jesus, their teacher and master (Matthew 8:25; 16:22; Luke 9:54; John 11:12). This title is given to God, the ruler of the universe, both with the article ‘ho kurios’ (Matthew 1:22; 5:33; Mark 5:19; Acts 7:33; 2 Timothy 1:16,18) and without the article (Matthew 21:9; 27:10; Mark 13:20; Luke 2:9,23, 26; Hebrews 7:21). The title is also applied to Jesus as the Messiah, since by His death He acquired a special ownership of mankind and after His resurrection was exalted by a partnership in the divine administration (Acts 10:36; Romans 14:8; 1 Corinthians 7:22; 8:6; Philippians 2:9-11).

5. Master, master, lord = Baal (Heb. ba`al, “master”), applied only to heathen deities, or to the man as husband, and so on, or to one especially skilled in a trade or profession. See Baal.

6. Other and less important words in the original are rendered “Lord,” such as mare', “master” (Acts 2:47), an official title, and seren, a Philistine term found in Joshua, Judges, and 1 Samuel, where “the lords of the Philistines” are mentioned.

The origin of the english word for god
By Craig Bluemel

Apakhana Akshobhya
10-02-2011, 12:21 AM
^ Good post.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, in Kaballah typically God is given the title of "He" because in nature it is the male that provides and gives, the female who receives and nurtures. As we receive from God it is referred to as "He" but when God nurtures it is given the "She" title.

When an influence from a sefira is handed down the sefira is masculine but as it receives it is given a feminine context.

Both titles simply reveal the nature of polarity within creation. Creation reflects it's creator.

Verunia
10-02-2011, 12:57 AM

Good question. I think it has to do with masculine energy traditionally being looked at as creating, and the feminine as receiving. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that's how it goes. You know the whole yin/yang thing. I do not think it was because the world was a male oriented place at the time. Gods have been male far before the Christian, Islamic, or Judaic God.

But it's also clear that women just cannot get the job done. Be right back, I have to make a sandwich for my male counterpart. And do the laundry. :icon_eek: Sorry I just can't hold the jokes back sometimes .. :D No I'm kidding... Mostly.. haha

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Well there is no god, no male or female, so there you are.

supernova
10-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Well there is no god, no male or female, so there you are.

How true you are, my friend. This is the and only truth

nventr
10-02-2011, 05:42 AM
The ancient Greeks considered the soul or spirit of every person to be female and the physical body to be male. So the consort to soul, which is God, then must be male. That relationship needs to be masculine and feminine, otherwise the person is unbalanced.

This also created all the problems we now see of trying to kill the ego, die to self, and everybody has issues.

Jesus was purposely raised with the psychological belief system of a woman. That is why he refers to God as Father.

supernova
10-02-2011, 06:36 AM
No matter whatever legendary or mythical testimonies we attach to this there is a gender bias built around this

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 07:04 AM
No matter whatever legendary or mythical testimonies we attach to this there is a gender bias built around this
Yes so true, this is because most believe that there is separation, when in fact there is only One, what we see as male and female is only the dangling bits and the non dangling bits lol.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Yes so true, this is because most believe that there is separation, when in fact there is only One, what we see as male and female is only the dangling bits and the non dangling bits lol.

Duality... It has made my life a living hell.

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Duality... It has made my life a living hell.
He He, it certainly can do that if you are under the illusion that you are separate, or that you are the mind body.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 07:31 AM
He He, it certainly can do that if you are under the illusion that you are separate, or that you are the mind body.

It happened a few times. It isn't fun juggling with paradoxes. It felt like my spirit was going to leave my body on several occasions, and then I had that time when I felt like a corpse. It wasn't pleasant.

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 08:20 AM
It happened a few times. It isn't fun juggling with paradoxes. It felt like my spirit was going to leave my body on several occasions, and then I had that time when I felt like a corpse. It wasn't pleasant.
Yea i have been there, once I looked into the mirror and I did recognize who was looking at me, I felt like I wasn't in this body, that I was all that there IS.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Yea i have been there, once I looked into the mirror and I did recognize who was looking at me, I felt like I wasn't in this body, that I was all that there IS.

A fine bit of chaos that was. I couldn't reason out any of my actions, and I kept trying to grasp something that wasn't there. I have now become completely dependent on the laws of attraction, and find myself unable to get what I want at this point.

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 08:29 AM
A fine bit of chaos that was. I couldn't reason out any of my actions, and I kept trying to grasp something that wasn't there. I have now become completely dependent on the laws of attraction, and find myself unable to get what I want at this point.
The law of attraction, mmm, It all sounds like greed to me lol, stop trying to get anything and just live, what ever comes your way comes, what ever doesn't doesn't.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 08:34 AM
The law of attraction, mmm, It all sounds like greed to me lol, stop trying to get anything and just live, what ever comes your way comes, what ever doesn't doesn't.

Good things come when you least expect them. This is what I would define as the law of attraction. The idea is to give to your environment in such a way that in which you do not have a definite expectation of any return. A little trick I am working on...

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Good things come when you least expect them. This is what I would define as the law of attraction. The idea is to give to your environment in such a way that in which you do not have a definite expectation of any return. A little trick I am working on...
But the little trick in the end is just a trick to get what you want, still greed.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
But the little trick in the end is just a trick to get what you want, still greed.

Its fun to play god.

psychoslice
10-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Its fun to play god.
Its even more fun to be GOD lol.

Zeliar791
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Its even more fun to be GOD lol.

Something to look forward to then.

Internal Queries
10-02-2011, 05:10 PM
humans are primates and most primate societies are male based hierarchical systems with an alpha male subjugating all members of the troop. the "He" god is the ultimate alpha male. humans are simply adhering to base primate instinct when worshiping an ultimate alpha male.

Apakhana Akshobhya
14-02-2011, 03:53 AM
humans are primates and most primate societies are male based hierarchical systems

Have you seen Bonobos? IIRC they are matriachal and the males submit to a dominant female. I think they are a very interesting bunch. Just wondered if you knew about them.

:)

Zeliar791
14-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Have you seen Bonobos? IIRC they are matriachal and the males submit to a dominant female. I think they are a very interesting bunch. Just wondered if you knew about them.

The endless possibilities, and yet so few of them exist in this world...

Internal Queries
14-02-2011, 12:55 PM

yep, i have noticed the Bonobos, which is why i said "MOST" primate societies are male dominated.

forresterc
15-02-2011, 08:41 PM
ON a simple level, i believe most languages don't develop a pronoun that is absent of gender, and with a reluctance to call a conscious being "it", languages tend to perfer male over female when an unknown gender is used. This by no means means that God is a male or a female. In order to pigeonhole God, man (lol at gender pun) envisions God in his image, instead of the opposite.

I think Gender does have a deep spiritual relation. Males tend to create things from the world, while females tend to create things from life itself. It's possible that Man's envy for women is a large part of gender tention.

Amilius777
15-02-2011, 11:13 PM
I don't refer to God as He. I see God as She usually. I believe God is both, but for me the feminine principle is immanent.

He is also an impersonal pronoun. No wonder The Father is the impersonal Source of everything, where as the Source manifested is our personal Mother who draws souls back to Her. And the Father becomes manifested or personalized in The SON "offspring" which was incarnated in Jesus, who was a Male! A He!

Father is transcendent, Mother is Immanent, Son is the result. Same with the psychic belief- The spirit is the life, mind is the builder, the physical is the result. No coincidence that Mother/Matter are connected in Latin and the ancient world that the Goddess reigned supreme.

In Roman Catholicism, the Virgin Mary and God the Son Jesus are the two major aspects venerated. And in Wicca the God and Goddess are both husband and wife. and then mother and son. And in Cayce's cosmology, Adam and Eve were husband and wife. Then eve becomes Mary the mother, and Adam becomes Jesus the son. Thus The Mother and Son are the two aspects of the universe that mankind venerates in every religion. And you ask about the "Father" or "He" aspect of God. Well that is the I AM. And the Mother is I AM, the Son is I AM. I am also I am. Everyone and everything is I am, even the devil is I am, all things have I am, thus the FATHER IS all things, or the Father is the ALL, or THE ONE. And the Father is experienced as the creation (Son). The Father or "HE" or I AM always remains ONE or untouched, but forever experiences as Many called 'The SON' by Jesus.

theophilus
16-02-2011, 04:53 PM

It's yet another example of some folks' lack of clarity about what they mean when they refer to 'god'....What is the source of your knowledge about the supreme creator?

If the Bible account of creation is the true one then God should be called "he" because that is how he has revealed himself to us. He created humans in his own image and the reason we have personality and gender is that these characteristics are reflections of what he is.

Internal Queries
16-02-2011, 07:10 PM
What is the source of your knowledge about the supreme creator?

If the Bible account of creation is the true one then God should be called "he" because that is how he has revealed himself to us. He created humans in his own image and the reason we have personality and gender is that these characteristics are reflections of what he is.

"He" is more a reflection of the male dominated priesthood and society from which the Bible myths spring. i find it interesting that the male Bible god usurps the birthing process by birthing Eve (woman) from Adam (man) and then Eve (woman) becomes the source and the blame for all man's troubles and angst. you can't get any more mysogynous that than.

theophilus
17-02-2011, 05:14 PM
"He" is more a reflection of the male dominated priesthood and society from which the Bible myths spring. i find it interesting that the male Bible god usurps the birthing process by birthing Eve (woman) from Adam (man) and then Eve (woman) becomes the source and the blame for all man's troubles and angst. you can't get any more mysogynous that than.Where in the Bible does Eve get the blame? Romans 5:15 clearly put the blame on Adam.
But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.And 1 Timothy 2:14 says,Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.It is clear from this that Eve was deceived and so wasn't held responsible for the consequences of her actions.

AngelBreeze
19-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Warm greetings, supernova,

The following of many other Biblical passages will show why God is considered masculine and referred to as a "He."

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -- JOHN 3:16 (KJV)

That is only one example. The following excellent website has further information!

http://brownbible.com/by-jane-harvester/why-is-god-called-father/

May you have a wonderful day!

Internal Queries
19-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Where in the Bible does Eve get the blame? Romans 5:15 clearly put the blame on Adam.
But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.And 1 Timothy 2:14 says,Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.It is clear from this that Eve was deceived and so wasn't held responsible for the consequences of her actions.

i don't know what Bible you're reading but the mysogeny of the Bible myth writers is evident from the get go. they start off with a male god mid-wifing the birth of woman from man thereby usurping from feminity the power and divinity of pregnancy and childbirth (a jealous god, indeed). then Eve (woman) is punished by the male Bible god with agonizing childbirth and to be subservient to her husband Adam (man).

"Gen. 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

THEN the male Bible god punishes Adam (man) for having listened to Eve (woman) thereby making it holy writ for men to be deaf (and even hostile) to the voices of women.

"Gen. 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;"

women the world over have been oppressed and enslaved by divine writ, male dominance enforced by "He" gods conveniently created by men.

nventr
20-02-2011, 12:03 AM
i don't know what Bible you're reading but the mysogeny of the Bible myth writers is evident from the get go. they start off with a male god mid-wifing the birth of woman from man thereby usurping from feminity the power and divinity of pregnancy and childbirth (a jealous god, indeed). then Eve (woman) is punished by the male Bible god with agonizing childbirth and to be subservient to her husband Adam (man).

"Gen. 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."

THEN the male Bible god punishes Adam (man) for having listened to Eve (woman) thereby making it holy writ for men to be deaf (and even hostile) to the voices of women.

"Gen. 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;"

women the world over have been oppressed and enslaved by divine writ, male dominance enforced by "He" gods conveniently created by men.

Actually women are empowered by the "He" God. The "He" God sends Grace down from the skies. This strengthens the intellect and logic. Women are strengthen by Grace or by standing on the serpent's head. The way this power is activated is through empowerment or the opening of the top chakra and allowing Grace to cleanse the inner sanctum. (Women are not from Venus. They are from Vulcan. ;)

Men are enlivened by Passion, Kundalini, or the serpent. It is the "She" God that sends Passion up from the earth. The way this power is activated is to be initiated, reborn, or to kill the flesh.

The Genesis scripture tell us that Man must eat his bread from the fields. (Women are fed by Grace or "God's Bread.")

Women will have great pain in childbirth or shedding of the flesh. It creates an emotional overload and makes them crazy. (Men are enlivened and made more caring by the wine or upwelling of emotion.)

This is why women have been excluded from priestly positions. Initiations designed by men are for men. Only when a woman is properly empowered will she be able to reach full enlightenment.

Internal Queries
20-02-2011, 03:41 AM
Actually women are empowered by the "He" God. The "He" God sends Grace down from the skies. This strengthens the intellect and logic. Women are strengthen by Grace or by standing on the serpent's head. The way this power is activated is through empowerment or the opening of the top chakra and allowing Grace to cleanse the inner sanctum. (Women are not from Venus. They are from Vulcan. ;)

Men are enlivened by Passion, Kundalini, or the serpent. It is the "She" God that sends Passion up from the earth. The way this power is activated is to be initiated, reborn, or to kill the flesh.

The Genesis scripture tell us that Man must eat his bread from the fields. (Women are fed by Grace or "God's Bread.")

Women will have great pain in childbirth or shedding of the flesh. It creates an emotional overload and makes them crazy. (Men are enlivened and made more caring by the wine or upwelling of emotion.)

This is why women have been excluded from priestly positions. Initiations designed by men are for men. Only when a woman is properly empowered will she be able to reach full enlightenment.

all that is very nice. a fluffy interpretation of the religion born persecution of the female gender that has been going on for thousands of years and continues to this day.

oh but oops! i forgot. this is a new age spiritual forum so everything must be cute, pleasant and fluffy ... even history, no matter how atrocious, must be rewritten so as to be all rainbows and lollipops.

PFFFFT!

nventr
20-02-2011, 04:34 AM
I cannot change the past. Hating those who were ignorant can only make a person bitter.

However, by understanding the internal paradigm we can stop this from happening now and in the future.

Zeliar791
20-02-2011, 06:10 AM
I cannot change the past. Hating those who were ignorant can only make a person bitter.

However, by understanding the internal paradigm we can stop this from happening now and in the future.

This is true enough, though the past cannot be denied as it is a bases for all of our experiences.

nventr
21-02-2011, 04:34 PM
This is true enough, though the past cannot be denied as it is a bases for all of our experiences.

Agreed! It is through the writings of the past masters that we can study the internal paradigm. Thankfully we have 5000 years of material to work with.

Merlin6
07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Souls are androgynous. That is, they hold both the positive and negative aspects within themselves. When incarnating in the physical, the positive being the active principal, becomes male. The negative, being the receptive principal, becomes female.
God, being the active principal in creation, is said to be male.

Regards
Merlin6

mattie
07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
What is the source of your knowledge about the supreme creator?

This was in response to: 'Originally Posted by mac
....'

MANY have come to believe that the energies we call god have fully merged their male/female energies many Ds prior to getting to the god level & that it isn’t correct to call god either he or her. A genderless WHOLE being.

You seem to take the bible’s version of this as inviolable fact. Many don’t & have allot of questions about this document.

Mac’s version of this is just as valid as yours. If you consider that it is your right to consider god a male, do you not extend the same right to one’s own beliefs to others or do you demand that they adhere to your particular beliefs? Would you be OK w/ others demanding that you adhere to their beliefs?

mattie
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Souls are androgynous. That is, they hold both the positive and negative aspects within themselves. When incarnating in the physical, the positive being the active principal, becomes male. The negative, being the receptive principal, becomes female.
God, being the active principal in creation, is said to be male.

Positive energies being male & negative ones being female is similar to male energies being active & female ones being passive. Male & female energies are both powerful energies in their own ways. A whole being does not exist w/o BOTH of these present.

If ‘Souls are androgynous.’ it is curious why god would not be considered to be androgynous as well. Are souls androgynous while god is not? Would this not put souls above god?

The disenfranchisement of women in most religions stems from beliefs such as the male is the active principal in creation. If one thinks about it this really has no basis except the cultural assumption that the female is more passive than the male or should be subservient to the male. BOTH a sperm & an egg are necessary to create human life. Neither one does it alone.

mattie
07-03-2011, 02:26 PM
The simple answer is that the men who wrote the bible were interested in holding power as closely as possible. They managed to figure out only to have to have half of the population as potential competitors in the religious-political bureaucracy.

It was a very clever move for the Roman Emperor to disenfranchise women by way of religious texts as this took power away from half of the population in one fell swoop by demonizing them, making them responsible for sin. This then set up a natural division between men & women (divide & conquer) that has taken 2000+ years to begin to remedy. The amount of anti-female rhetoric that stemmed from this is astounding both in religion & in society in general.

Energetically, many levels before getting to the level of the energies we call god the female & male energies are fully merged. WHOLE BEINGS. Calling god she is no more correct than calling god he even though the urge is understandable. While it may be a bit awkward for some to call god IT, this is the more accurate pronoun. It is actually disrespectful to call god he or she as this diminishes this being or level of energy that is soooooo much more than a single gender.

Internal Queries is spot on about ‘... the mysogeny of the Bible myth writers is evident from the get go.’ Countless examples exist throughout the entire document. This view of women is one of the reasons many are turning away from this religion (& others) as inherently unfair & woefully outdated.

The bible was written to institutionalize the power of the Roman Empire, co-opting the older pagan religions & the new Christian one, placing the Roman Emperor in the position of being god’s enforcer. The Romans routinely co-opted the religions of those they conquered to get rid of expected opposition. In the 4th century Bishop Eusebuis crafted the history of Christianity to fit the Roman Emperor’s desire to control all the religions. The ‘Jesus Mysteries’ (Freke & Gandy) details how Eusebuis provided this history that remains as the current bible for the Emperor w/ scant regard for the facts.

Former Episcopalian Bishop John Shelby Spong, a very strong proponent of Christianity, has stated that the biblical Christian message contended that women are thoroughly evil stemming from the story of Eve, that woman is lesser than man & responsible for sin, & have been kept out of all meaningful positions in the church hierarchy except as ceremonial figures. (johnshelbyspong.com/). Bishop Spong is a proponent of exposing the problematic biblical passages to SAVE Christianity, contending that these problematic passages are quickly causing the demise of this faith & should be openly addressed. He reviews these in his book, ‘Jesus For the NonReligious.’

Some have moved past the concept of god being a sole deity to the concept of god being all of those who are at that level of consciousness, a unified consciousness. As we expand our awareness we progressively occupy a broader perspective to increasing Oneness (individual, planetary, galactic, universal) w/ each dimensional level we occupy. While we have learned much more about how energy works, the 2000+ year old image of a male deity sitting on high over us (w/ a thunderbolt) still curiously persists.

glengarriff
25-03-2011, 12:37 AM
The Bible has portions that call masculinze him. But, Christ saud there is neither male or female, in the Kingdom of God which is a Spiritual one.

supernova
26-03-2011, 03:23 AM
The Bible has portions that call masculinze him. But, Christ saud there is neither male or female, in the Kingdom of God which is a Spiritual one.

God has no gender and we all humans give it. God is not Jesus and not any name and God is a powerhouse of energy and sources of consciousness and we are confusing ourselves and the rest we live with.

Jesus is a mythical figure and there is no lineage to him though he was just born around 2000 years ago as our mythology says.

ibn sana
06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
God has no gender and we all humans give it. God is not Jesus and not any name and God is a powerhouse of energy and sources of consciousness and we are confusing ourselves and the rest we live with.

Jesus is a mythical figure and there is no lineage to him though he was just born around 2000 years ago as our mythology says.

I agree with that. Though as a Muslim I believe Jesus (peace be upon him) was a Messenger only and a real person who actually existed.

HE is just a term as its better than saying "IT" concerning Allah or God, its more graceful and god fearing to say "HE". That doesnt mean gender, Allah (God) doesnt have a gender.

In the quran it also says "WE" buit that doesnt mean more than one, but again its more graceful and royal. The british queen (I know you dont like her (just an example)), says "we" aswell in her address meaning herself not including anyone else. Not that she deserves that title, not osmeone as frail as that. No offence royalty supporters (if there are any)

supernova
06-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I agree with that. Though as a Muslim I believe Jesus (peace be upon him) was a Messenger only and a real person who actually existed.

HE is just a term as its better than saying "IT" concerning Allah or God, its more graceful and god fearing to say "HE". That doesnt mean gender, Allah (God) doesnt have a gender.

In the quran it also says "WE" buit that doesnt mean more than one, but again its more graceful and royal. The british queen (I know you dont like her (just an example)), says "we" aswell in her address meaning herself not including anyone else. Not that she deserves that title, not osmeone as frail as that. No offence royalty supporters (if there are any)

The existence of Jesus has not been documented yet. Even if keep on connecting generations we will never reach the empire of Jesus.

Was there a resurrection? The second coming? Jesus' reappearance after his crucification?

I do not want to argue with you and yet I find the entire episode melodramatic.

I do not care whether God is labeled "He" or "She" now. All that amazes is the fact that people are blindly following a faith and inventing Jesus, Moses, Peter and the like, painting out of their imagination.

Internal Queries
06-04-2011, 04:11 PM
there are decidely feminine overtones to the Jesus portrayal. Jesus is the polar opposite of the aggressive and cruel OT desert deity. he passive and obedient to the will of "The Father" and he is pierced and bleeds like a virgin on her wedding night. Jesus is, at the crux, a symbol of male/female/androgeny. it's a complex symbolism that most Christians, because of their simplistic worship of the alpha male, fail to recognize.